• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I don't think we'll be only seeing third-party characters from now on.

It makes sense why they started out with third-party characters:
1. They need to negotiate the rights beforehand, something which takes time, hence they need to be prioritized
2. Great marketing potential, drawing attention from players and media alike, helping the game to have exposure even after its release

The order of DLC characters released so far makes a lot of sense:
1. Mewtwo - Very popular character with the option of being a free download for those who got both versions.
2. Lucas - Popular veteran character announced alongside Mewtwo's release date that helps solidifying that Mewtwo isn't the only DLC character. The fact his announcement coincided with the opening of the fighter ballot is telling that fan favorite picks are important.
3. Roy and Ryu - Melee veteran and 3rd party newcomer. One is a favorite from Melee and another is a very popular gaming icon, both characters being quite unexpected. The timing of this announcement at E3 helped draw attention as well and if it weren't for the leaks, this reveal would have a lot more impact then it did.
4. Cloud - First character reveal in almost half a year and an unexpected iconic guest. Being announced along with the announcement of a special broadcast, it's good marketing and has made an impact on players and media. This was made specifically to hype players, so they're confident that the broadcast will live up to that impact.

As with all of those Smash Bros.-specific streams/Directs/broadcasts, I imagine there will be multiple popular characters revealed along with a slew of extra content added on top of that. The stakes are high with how things have gone recently.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
If a rule gets broken I'm pretty sure it's going to be the assist trophy rule.

There are a few characters that are assist trophies I can see getting major help from ballot suggestions.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
I honestly wouldn't be surprised if we were done with veterans at this point. This late into the DLC lifecycle, one not being shown in the Nov. 12th Direct really makes me question it. The team's best trump card(up to this point) has been used, and it wasn't a veteran. While this is merely my own view on it, it seems to me that if you want to tease fans with hype, you show the veterans before the brown pants inducing third party newcomer.

And honestly, apart from Snake being gone, I wouldn't mind that much. Newcomers are interesting, after all.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I honestly wouldn't be surprised if we were done with veterans at this point. This late into the DLC lifecycle, one not being shown in the Nov. 12th Direct really makes me question it. The team's best trump card(up to this point) has been used, and it wasn't a veteran. While this is merely my own view on it, it seems to me that if you want to tease fans with hype, you show the veterans before the brown pants inducing third party newcomer.

And honestly, apart from Snake being gone, I wouldn't mind that much. Newcomers are interesting, after all.
If Wolf doesn't come back, that would be really underwhelming.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
I agree. Unless it's Snake, I would prefer newcomers over veterans. It's a lot more exciting to see something new revealed. I still expect Wolf back and I'd probably use him, though.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
If Wolf doesn't come back, that would be really underwhelming.
I must be in the minority that's indifferent to but not against him. If he's back, cool. If he's not, I won't miss him. Sounds like utter heresy, I know, but I'd really only want his fate resolved already so we can shut up about him, given that the subject is becoming ridiculously tiresome with each time he skips a round of DLC and fans whining about it given this mentality we've adapted that he's somehow this inevitable inclusion.

There's faith, and then there's delusion. Nothing wrong with faith, but not thinking of any other possible outcome will do harm in the long run. An outcome, perhaps, like Wolf not making it(not that this is an issue exclusive to Wolf, it can come up with characters that have exaggerated chances or have roadblocks we ignore for the sake of speculation).

Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
It's just hard for me to see another Third party character happening unless it's on Cloud's level and there's barely a few left by this point.

I think they'll be three characters by the end of the Broadcast.

Cloud
Nintendo Newcomer
Extra Veteran

It's a perfect combination of the three and hell Tree Gelbman Tree Gelbman have something going on with that idea of ATs becoming playable. Saki, Samurai Gordoh and Waluigi still have a massive chance of being fighters as well.

>tfw Lyn will never be playable
:scared:

Chrono.

Eh I don't see ATs happening.

But if I had to say which ones have the highest chances right now...
  • Waluigi
  • Takamaru
  • Isabelle (is a maybe but she is one of Nintendo's A-listers at this point)

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
Isabelle would be the one I'd put most likely. She's insanely popular and marketable.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Third parties I feel are iconic enough that I want?

Snake
Simon
Bomberman
Phoenix Wright
Rayman

Basically that's all I actively want though several others would be neat!
Add Ryu Hayabusa and that's my exact list.

Good luck objectively arguing a subjective. I hope you know to reach a consensus you're going to end up with some pretty broad parameters.
Oh, don't think "this is dumb" and "your metrics make no sense" weren't spouted off a few times. We also argued quite a bit about legacy. Someone like Earthworm Jim WAS an All Star, but he has had very little influence on the medium and has not been used in many years. Something like Mass Effect may have captured the Zeitgeist of modern gaming, but can we really say it's more "important" than a game like Doom without seeing it judged from the same historical context?

It's a fun conversation though, and in the end that's all that really matters to us.

Last edited:

Neo Zero

Add Ryu Hayabusa and that's my exact list.

Oh, don't think "this is dumb" and "your metrics make no sense" weren't spouted off a few times. We also argued quite a bit about legacy. Someone like Earthworm Jim WAS an All Star, but he has had very little influence on the medium and has not been used in many years. Something like Mass Effect may have captured the Zeitgeist of modern gaming, but can we really say it's more "important" than a game like Doom without seeing it judged from the same historical context?

It's a fun conversation though, and in the end that's all that really matters to us.
Earthworm Jim is an all star on the merits that his cartoon show was awesome.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Earthworm Jim was big enough at one time for him to be lumped with Sonic in the end of DKC.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
In regards to @Swampasaur's list of Third Party characters that are iconic enough and that he wants, my list would be:

(No particular order)
Banjo-Kazooie
Rayman
Spyro
Crash
Bomberman
Leon/Jill

There are others that I wouldn't mind, but those are the ones that I really want.

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. and Fire Emblem: Awakening would be my first two picks due to obvious reasons, and they're honestly both really fun.

For Wii U, maybe Pikmin 3?

I just realized this list is very strategy heavy. You like strategy games? :p
I have Fire Emblem Awakening and Pikmin 3(Both were brilliant). I wasnt a fan of Code Name S.T.E.A.M. because the whole layout was kinda weird, and I couldnt wrap my mind around it. Ill pass on that :dizzy:

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
I agree with the I don't vets back unless its Snake. Even than I feel were to far into DLC for them. At this point people want newcomers they want something new.Plus can we drop wolf.like how many chances is he gonna get before we stop expecting him.Just saying if it was any other character we would of stopped giving him the light of day

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Something about me finds it incredibly odd to see Sakurai talking of mobile games.

Why do you guys keep forgetting ho massively big mobile games in Japan are?

Seriously, there's a reason Kantai Collection is as big as it is right now

tsvlink25

Smash Apprentice
NNID
tsvlink25
3DS FC
1719-3628-9238
Gotta say, I love the new Hyrule Warriors Legends info. The new scans have some pretty interesting info, such as variants of the Valley of Seers and Lake Hylia levels. Ganondorf's new weapon looks intriguing, I bet it's lightning element. Glad to see they're bringing the DLC charcters into the story!
Toon Link's character trailer is purely adorable, by the way. The remix of the molgera battle is also really good.

Amidst all the Linkle hype I totally forgot Skull Kid was confirmed.

Which begs the question "why no gameplay yet?".
Their twitter says, as per usual now, another video next week, so we'll probably see him then.

It's rather unlikely, but I really hope we see other characters getting more weapons too. I'd be ok with Link/Zelda/Lana getting more, but I'd prefer to see more from those with less weapons, like what we got with Ganondorf. Maybe we'll see a new weapon for Sheik or Impa?

Last edited:

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Sakurai just talks about video games. You guys are aware that he writes about other console games all the time...right? He has a whole column on Portal, Katamari Damacy, The Phantom Pain, God of War and so much more. His columns are probably split up like this:

Smash/ Kid Icarus Uprising/ Kirby - 25%
Game Design - 25%
Other Games - 50%

(His column name is "Think about the Video Games" after all :p)

Last edited:

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
Umm...can I ask why he was talking about it in the first place? I'm aware he probably has a life outside of Smash but that seems rather random without proper context lol.
AFAIK Sakurai does columns about all kinds of games, including stuff like Minecraft and mobile games.

Edit: Ninja'd.

Last edited:

Chrono.

Heh.

They added a new character to that Rivals of Aether thing and she's loosely based on Zelda's moveset.

Apparently though she's OP as ****.

Best irony.

Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Heh.

They added a new character to that Rivals of Aether thing and she's loosely based on Zelda's moveset.

Apparently though she's OP as ****.

Best irony.
That is both ironic and crazy for that to happen.

Zelda has never been good in any game no matter what the Zelda Social tells you and being based on her would doom you to low tier levels but she's busted now

Neo Zero

DBS Manga Chapter 6 Spoilers
So Universe 7's team is now decided. Goku, Vegeta, Buu, Piccolo, and a Mystery Person who fought Beerus in the past (and it's not Whis). It'll apparentlly follow Tenkaichi rules, and there'll also be a test before hand to avoid any non sentient monsters being fighters. Also the origin of the Dragon Balls were revealed, as they were carved off the Planet Sized Super Dragon Balls. Champa already has 6 and if U7 wins they get all Champa's Super Dragon Balls

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom