• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Arthas, Thrall, Illidan, Jaina and Sylvanas are arguably the most iconic characters from WC3.
You see here...I grew up with WC2

Although I'd probably still be playing WC3 if the community didn't move on to Starcraft 2

Although I haven't play Starcraft 2 as much

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
My argument is that series that don't have standout characters will be unlikely to get into Smash. Gordon Freeman isn't iconic. It's his power suit, his crowbar, his game. Half Life would best be represented in stage and music format. Character wise, the Heavy from Tf2 makes the most sense from Valve. I'd settle for a compromise Heavy character, and either a Half-life and/ or Portal inspired stage (Portal has Glados but Glados wouldn't work as a fighter).

Interseries representation is difficult. Jill Valentine, Leon Kennedy or someone else is a question that keeps me awake at night (and arguing in the Source Gaming chat).

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
My argument is that series that don't have standout characters will be unlikely to get into Smash. Gordon Freeman isn't iconic. It's his power suit, his crowbar, his game. Half Life would best be represented in stage and music format. Character wise, the Heavy from Tf2 makes the most sense from Valve. I'd settle for a compromise Heavy character, and either a Half-life and/ or Portal inspired stage (Portal has Glados but Glados wouldn't work as a fighter).

Interseries representation is difficult. Jill Valentine, Leon Kennedy or someone else is a question that keeps me awake at night (and arguing in the Source Gaming chat).
Gary's mod stage would be the funniest

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
I'm pretty sure Sakurai does list Goat Simulator in his Game Chronology list (translation is being worked on, don't have it in front of me). If I'm not mistaken he's a big fan of Steam in general and has a column about the service.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Also in regards to sales numbers being relevant to iconic stature/chances at Smash.

Tekken has more sales than the Pac-Man franchise as a whole. :4pacman:

And though Ryu is in now, Mega Man initially got in over him despite Street Fighter outselling Mega Man. :4megaman::4ryu:
And Resident Evil outsells both Megaman and Street fighter, so we should get Jill Valentine.

It would be cool if she had alts of her designs in Resident Evil 3, 5 and Revalations.

Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
It's probably just me but I think I see two references when Lucas and Pit are hit by Teraflare.

Mainly the reset bomb for Pit and the dragon and Mother 3's ending for Lucas

Also at first I was worried about the summons being handled in the 3DS or them being removed but after the Gamxplain analysis. It might not be the case. I'm sure their frame rates and models will be toned down in some way. The only one I'm kind of worried about is Leviathan because of the swimming being removed.

Edit: PushDustIn PushDustIn If you're still taking questions for your next podcast. I'd like to ask how do you think the Midgar stage will be handled on the 3DS version?

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442

If we're not talking who is cooler, Jill Valentine is easier the superior Resident Evil representative.
She's appeared in three of the movies and 2/3 of the Marvel vs. Capcom games.
And Resident Evil outsells both Megaman and Street fighter, so we should get Jill Valentine.
ALSO YES

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I definitely agree. There's some franchises that are huge and sell very well.... But there's really no stand out characters, or the characters are not too recognizable. Sometimes on the other hand, the main character of a series can be very iconic, even to those that haven't played the series itself. This goes with my opinions on the ubisoft rep earlier.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
I rather just limit the choices from the major Japanese Third-Party publishers and leave it at that.

If it ain't from Bandai-Namco, Sega, Capcom, Square-Enix, Konami or even Koei-Tecmo, I'll just stop by this point.

Why? Because we'll get to the point to where we discuss whether or not an EA character deserves a roster spot.
And I like to not imagine a world like that so don't.

We like to keep Pandora's Box closed for right now

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
The only third parties limited to Japan that I want:

Lloyd Irving
Ryu Hayabusa
Bomberman

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Banjo Kazooie
Simon Belmont

and

Bomberman

I don't really need any 3rd parties past that

unless you count Geno...

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I rather just limit the choices from the major Japanese Third-Party publishers and leave it at that.

If it ain't from Bandai-Namco, Sega, Capcom, Square-Enix, Konami or even Koei-Tecmo, I'll just stop by this point.

Why? Because we'll get to the point to where we discuss whether or not an EA character deserves a roster spot.
And I like to not imagine a world like that so don't.

We like to keep Pandora's Box closed for right now
I agree, but I think we should make an exception for discussing Banjo because he's practically a Nintendo character.

OurBraveHero

Smash Lord
NNID
ourbravehero
Banjo Kazooie
Simon Belmont

and

Bomberman

I don't really need any 3rd parties past that

unless you count Geno...
Definitely want Simon and Bomberman. I can see BanjoKazoople as a possibility especially since Microsoft was actually asking Nintendo to put Banjo and Kazooie in Smash Bros, but in terms of who I'd want... either I want Snake back, or an Atlus rep (preferably Jack Frost)

Last edited:

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
I agree, but I think we should make an exception for discussing Banjo because he's practically a Nintendo character.
You know, all this Banjo talk makes me just imagine Conker being like

"Take me with you...I was in Diddy Kong Racing too"

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I voted for Banjo Kazooie once on the smash poll

But I never voted for Bomberman or Simon Belmont though

Too busy voting for characters that don't have a chance

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Third parties I feel are iconic enough that I want?

Snake
Simon
Bomberman
Phoenix Wright
Rayman

Basically that's all I actively want though several others would be neat!

D

Deleted member

Man, I played Project M for the first time in years and man it's so dang fun. I like how much more balanced it is compared to Melee. Melee is still my jam, but Project M is my new jam.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
In a sense, I can that but I'll let it go for now. But my belief for mostly Third Party Japan series is sort of logical in sense where it's much easier to market with.

Capcom has Moster Hunter, Resident Evil and Ace Attorney to work with as well as others

Sega get with Atlus for a tag team effect and have NiGHTS or even Joe Mushashi from Shinobi for me

Bandai-Namco can easily work perfectly with Tekken and Soul Calibur. As well as the Tales of series.

Square-Enix still has their heavy hitters of Dragon Quest, Kingdom Hearts and Tomb Raider (despite being from the west moreso, they are now owned by Square so it's easier)

And despite being deluded and stupid this year, Konami has about the same amount heavy hitters as Capcom

The reason I mention Koei Tecmo was with their great partnership with Nintendo FE over the past 8 years and have the Ninja Gaiden, Musou and DoA series which are insanely popular

OurBraveHero

Smash Lord
NNID
ourbravehero
Ok well here's a question while on subject of third party:

Do you think Capcom is out of the running since they have 2 characters in? Or do you still think it's very possible for us to see another Capcom character? (ex: Phoenix Wright, Arthur, Monster Hunter rep,etc)

Edit: Forgot to give my opinion. While I'd prefer to see other companies get iconic characters in, there are so many Capcom characters I love (even if I hate Capcom themselves lately) that I wouldn't complain about more Capcom and don't think it's impossible for us to get a 3rd rep.

Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035

Do you think Capcom is out of the running since they have 2 characters in? Or do you still think it's very possible for us to see another Capcom character? (ex: Phoenix Wright, Arthur, Monster Hunter rep,etc)
Thing is that, nothing says that Capcom can't have 3 reps considering how big their franchises are. They are never out of the running but even then I can Sakurai maybe holding off and saying "Capcom doesn't need anything moreso"

The only other companies that are strong enough to have two extra reps are Namco and SE due to Dragon Quest and possibly Tekken/Soul Calibur.

Sega has to either go from the Sonic series again or tag team with Atlus and they'll bring in their own

D

Deleted member

Do you think Capcom is out of the running since they have 2 characters in? Or do you still think it's extremely possible for us to see another Capcom character? (ex: Phoenix Wright, Arthur, Monster Hunter rep)
To be honest, yeah. I think that Ryu and Megaman are just fine. Pheonix has been in UMVC3, which was pretty cool and I really think that appearance was enough.(But I would be happy if he ended up in smash.) Arthur has in been in MVC3 also, as I've mentioned, along with Firebrand. Which I also mentioned through the video that shows him SNK vs Capcom with the title that mentions the game.

Then, as much as I LOVE Monster Hunter to death, I can't really see a rep for it besides maybe the cats.... But I'm not really dieing for an MH rep. We did get the rathalos armor costume though. And I would love for some MH tracks to be in the game~~~.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442

Edit: Forgot to give my opinion. While I'd prefer to see other companies get iconic characters in, there are so many Capcom characters I love (even if I hate Capcom themselves lately) that I wouldn't complain about more Capcom and don't think it's impossible for us to get a 3rd rep.
I'd take like ten Capcom reps before I'd take some of the characters we've been talking about.
Capcom has a ton of really influential franchises and the majority of them are closely tied to Nintendo.

OurBraveHero

Smash Lord
NNID
ourbravehero
Thing is that, nothing says that Capcom can't have 3 reps considering how big their franchises are. They are never out of the running but even then I can Sakurai maybe holding off and saying "Capcom doesn't need anything moreso"

The only other companies that are strong enough to have two extra reps are Namco and SE due to Dragon Quest and possibly Tekken/Soul Calibur.

Sega has to either go from the Sonic series again or tag team with Atlus and they'll bring in their own
I dunno if Sega really has to go with Sonic series. I guess it depends on if we're talking "ICONIC" or not. I mean, Bayonetta does seem to have a pretty decent backing although she seems very unlikely. Alex Kidd, Nights, Shinobi, Phantasy Star, Virtua Fighter (we already have a VF Mii Costume?), Streets of Rage, Shenmue and um. *cough* Hatsune Miku. haha

Yeah I'd rather just get an Atlus Rep than a regular "Sega" rep though.

Last edited:

Soul.

Since I can barely understand the ways of Smash speculation if any at all, how do you guys see character requests?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
All the existing third-parties still have big characters at their disposal. Even Sega, though unfortunately he's a dumb cat. But I personally doubt we'll get any more from any of them, which is fine by me.

What's funny is that sooner than later, when the characters stop, people are going to be arguing whether the likes of Ryu and Cloud will even make it back for next time.

Can I join you in your want?
That'd be the bomb, sometimes this new extreme stance on inclusion can be a bit much to bear. ^_^;

MachoCheeze

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MachoCheeze
I'd honestly love another Sonic rep. I feel the franchise is well deserved enough for one. Knuckles and Dr. Eggman are my personal picks (though I'd LOVE Chaos 0, but let's be realistic lol).

Master Chief or Steve would be great imo.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I supported NiGHTS during Brawl but I seriously doubt he'd even be considered

I prefer Reala anyway

Starlight_Lily

Stage Overflowing with Starlight
Hey guys, you know what would be funny?

For when Cloud is released as DLC, Wolf and Pichu were announced alongside him, pretty much like how when Ryu was released as DLC he had to clone vets alongside him, be funny if Cloud also had 2 clone vets alongside him as well, when he releases.

Again, not saying this will happen, just be funny if the same thing happened with Cloud

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Honestly though, as far as further out third parties are concerned, the three I'd like are still Crash, Lara, and Maxwell.

...Though, I acknowledge that they'll likely never happen. :p

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Why would someone buy an animal crossing electronic board game?

I still remember we had the rugrats one for some reason

I didn't buy it, my parents didn't buy it. It just somehow appeared

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom