• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Wasn't the reason James Bond not in Smash because the legal issues would be horrendous?
I believe Sakurai has mentioned something on the order of that on the old questionnaire for 64.

EDIT: Ninja'd.

I'm really slow tonight.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

I mentioned this in the latest Source Gaming podcast.

Rayman has sold 26 million units.

Assasin's Creed has sold 87 million units (more than Legend of Zelda).

What's the more iconic Ubisoft series? What's the more recognizable Ubisoft series? I REALLY want to say Rayman (actually, I want to say Prince of Persia), but I'm not so sure.
Well, yeah, I do agree that Assassin's Creed is more recognizable as a series.... I feel that rayman is still more recognizable as a character compared to any Assassin's Creed characters.(Unless as hooded assassin guy, perhaps.) Hence why they probably went with cloud out of all the FF characters, he's very recognizable in the gaming community.

But the thing also is.... Usually these added characters end up matching up well with the rest of the cast. I just see Rayman fitting the smash cast way more so than an AC rep.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
He laughed at Spongebob and similar requests recently.

Starlight_Lily

Stage Overflowing with Starlight
All this talk of icons, and no one brings up Ryu Hayabusa :(

It's alright Ryu, I still remember you

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
I forgot Assassin's creed. Ezio is definitely more likely than some of the other western characters(Master Chief) mainly due to being one of the more popular western game series in Japan. I think even some high profile Japanese artists drew art of Assassin's Creed.

Crash, Ezio, & Banjo are the only western 3rd parties I can see in Smash.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Whatever the reason, sales are sales. Every game sold represents a person that has played the franchise and is familiar with the characters.

That white hood is very recognizable to modern gamers.
I would agree with that.
Well, I feel Rayman is more known than any of the Assassin's Creed protagonists, perhaps even all of them (I mean, I really doubt more people could name Ezio than Rayman), and they haven't used the white hood in a long time.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Well, yeah, I do agree that Assassin's Creed is more recognizable as a series.... I feel that rayman is still more recognizable as a character compared to any Assassin's Creed characters.(Unless as hooded assassin guy, perhaps.) Hence why they probably went with cloud out of all the FF characters, he's very recognizable in the gaming community.

But the thing also is.... Usually these added characters end up matching up well with the rest of the cast. I just see Rayman fitting the smash cast way more so than an AC rep.
I like Rayman for the same reason I like Bomberman... They're quintessential mascots for their companies and would therefore be a perfect fit for what essentially started as a mascot fighter.

I'm just floating the Assassin's Creed idea out there because those numbers are nothing to scoff at.

FinalStarmen

Smash Ace
The question shouldn't be how iconic is Master Chief in regards to other third-party characters - he's a legend among legends, answer is already self-evident. In terms of stature, he wouldn't be out of place standing next to Sonic and Pac-Man.

Rather, the question should be whether or not Master Chief (or anybody like him) having no history on Nintendo consoles (cancelled games don't count) can be considered a strike or not. Of all the "fan-rules" (or whatever you like to call them), this has yet to be "broken".

Some say the "rule" exists and is firmly grounded in reason, and others say it's made-up conjuncture and will be "broken" like any other "rule". Regardless, that's ultimately the one obstacle that should be overcome by anyone arguing Master Chief would be a reasonable Smash fighter.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Also in regards to sales numbers being relevant to iconic stature/chances at Smash.

Tekken has more sales than the Pac-Man franchise as a whole. :4pacman:

And though Ryu is in now, Mega Man initially got in over him despite Street Fighter outselling Mega Man. :4megaman::4ryu:

Shroob

Sup?
I am sorta shocked when people bring up 3rd party candidates, we don't hear more about the classic NES/SNES heroes.

Simon, Contra Guys, Mike Haggar, Ryu Hayubasa, etc

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Also in regards to sales numbers being relevant to iconic stature/chances at Smash.

Tekken has more sales than the Pac-Man franchise as a whole. :4pacman:

And though Ryu is in now, Mega Man initially got in over him despite Street Fighter outselling Mega Man. :4megaman::4ryu:
Moreover, Metal Gear isn't Konami's most successful franchise.

It's that soccer thing.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

All this talk of icons, and no one brings up Ryu Hayabusa :(

It's alright Ryu, I still remember you
Then we can have Ryu vs Ryu vs Roy vs Roy. :p

I like Rayman for the same reason I like Bomberman... They're quintessential mascots for their companies and would therefore be a perfect fit for what essentially started as a mascot fighter.

I'm just floating the Assassin's Creed idea out there because those numbers are nothing to scoff at.
Ah yes, definitely. I understand. I of course, was just stating why they'd more so likely choose rayman. You bring up a great point though.

The question shouldn't be how iconic is Master Chief in regards to other third-party characters - he's a legend among legends, answer is already self-evident. In terms of stature, he wouldn't be out of place standing next to Sonic and Pac-Man.

Rather, the question should be whether or not Master Chief (or anybody like him) having no history on Nintendo consoles (cancelled games don't count) can be considered a strike or not. Of all the "fan-rules" (or whatever you like to call them), this has yet to be "broken".

Some say the "rule" exists and is firmly grounded in reason, and others say it's made-up conjuncture and will be "broken" like any other "rule". Regardless, that's ultimately the one obstacle that should be overcome by anyone arguing Master Chief would be a reasonable Smash fighter.
I think it'd all depend on microsoft's relation's with nintendo. I mean, if they somehow hypothetically were to get really close off in the hypothetical future, then I think his chances would increase. But then again, I'd think that banjo would(Hopefully.) get in first.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
I think we're all forgetting a very important choice for a Microsoft rep.

Someone who has touched the hearts of millions.

He has helped us through dark times.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
The prospect of Assassin's Creed getting a playable character in Smash makes Rayman seem like Banjo to me.

That makes me want to curl up and cry a little bit.

I'd honestly rather have Master Chief.
Well, they release a new one every year

Zelda would probably have more sales if it was yearly too

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Is it wrong that all the Assassins Creed characters look the game to me? Dood in a hood.
Well I mean, in a way it's kind of like a legacy character type of deal. Like how there's been more than one Ant-Man or Green Lantern over time, for example. The hood is iconic to the assassins in that way.

Or at least that's the best way I can explain it. :p

Shroob

Sup?
Well I mean, in a way it's kind of like a legacy character type of deal. Like how there's been more than one Ant-Man or Green Lantern over time, for example. The hood is iconic to the assassins in that way.

Or at least that's the best way I can explain it. :p
Yeah, but even the Flash looked different as time went on. All the assassins look the same.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I am sorta shocked when people bring up 3rd party candidates, we don't hear more about the classic NES/SNES heroes.

Simon, Contra Guys, Mike Haggar, Ryu Hayubasa, etc
Hey man, I bring up Simon and Ryu Hayabusa ALL the time.

It's just that we're talking about icons and legends right now.

I'm surprised Ninja Gaiden didn't crack that top 100 list I made earlier, although it was just outside of it... Of course if you combine Ninja Gaiden and DOA sales it goes way up on the list.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Also, in case anyone doubts Assassin's Creed's relevance to Nintendo... :troll:

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
I hope we get more details on the DLC 3rd parties later, I'd love to hear more about Sakurai's process.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
By the way, here's something else to think about. Halo isn't Microsoft's best selling 1st party franchise.

Starlight_Lily

Stage Overflowing with Starlight
Then we can have Ryu vs Ryu vs Roy vs Roy. :p
I'm game. We can then have Ryu show Ryu who's boss.

Plus isn't Ryu Hayabusa, pretty much the last 3rd party icon, who also has been in a fighting game, that being DOA, we need to get him in, so we can complete that.

I think we're all forgetting a very important choice for a Microsoft rep.

Someone who has touched the hearts of millions.

He has helped us through dark times.
Touched the heart of millions? More like made us what take our paper clips a twist them into thousands of shape, so we can let out the stress of all the times he has annoyed us.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Minecraft was an indie game made by 1 guy at some point

Doesn't that blow your mind

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom