• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oasis Dealer

"Woah!"
NNID
DarkCloud2469
3DS FC
4639-9066-5866
Tfw you think you know who it is, but not sure. Oh well.

On the topic of Banjo-Kazooie, I find them a cult classic character, though I don't think they are necessarily "all stars".

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
If this is recent... the artist seriously needs to let this thing go. It was just a reaction picture to one of his silly posts, I have no idea why they had to be immature and take it to heart, bringing it up day after day. Heck, I don't even remember Push (Salt Lord?) being involved in it. While admittedly well drawn, this Miiverse post does nothing except display their ignorance even more.

Sorry if this post breaks a rule (talking about banned members, borderline flaming?), I'm really not trying to start anything. I don't think the artist is a bad person, I just think the reaction was overzealous, and I feel the need to speak up on it because it is one of the most ludicrous things I've seen happen in this group. Please NintenZone, don't let a rooster meme do this to you. :urg:

...On a different note, does anyone with Badge Arcade have any advice for obtaining the leftmost Chorus Kid? I want to complete my set but I don't know exactly how to shake the little guy off the hook. :dizzy:
I was the person that was warning this user and talked to them this most. It's not surprising that they are so salty at me.

Tfw you think you know who it is, but not sure. Oh well.

On the topic of Banjo-Kazooie, I find them a cult classic character, though I don't think they are necessarily "all stars".
I feel exactly the same way. They fit in as Nintendo icons but not gaming icons.

Last edited:

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
Id be super hype for Banjo, but I do agree that hes not an icon of sorts.

Master Chief, while an icon, doesnt really represent Smash Bros or Nintendo all that well. He may be the FPS guy, but Nintendo isnt really about FPS (Inb4 Metroid) and thus isnt really a likely candidate despite how recognizable he is.

Also, I can pick 2 3DS games or 1 Wii-U game for Christmas. What should I pick?

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
Master Chief I'd absolutely put on the same level of 3rd parties we have already. His game revolutionized FPS', he's instantly recognizable, he's still relevant, all the pieces are there.

The biggest hurdles of course being his Microsoft 1st party status (4th party?) and his moveset. In terms of issue 1, I honestly think the two sides could more than get along well enough to see it happen. If not promoting the competition was a such a deal breaker, I don't think we'd ever have seen Ryu or Cloud after all. As for the latter, guns do make it awkward. However you can have him rely on CQC, Human Explosive Weaponry and Covenent Laser Weaponry to avoid the real guns with bullet issue. True I don't think it's going to happen anytime soon, but a Smash Game down the line? Absolutely.

Shroob

Sup?
Ya know, I dunno why people seem soo opposed to think that it's possible that the slot between Mario Maker and Duck Hunt wasn't meant for Pirate Ship.

I mean, doesn't the WiiU version have a ton of unused stuff, like the Dr.Mario stage files?

Id be super hype for Banjo, but I do agree that hes not an icon of sorts.

Master Chief, while an icon, doesnt really represent Smash Bros or Nintendo all that well. He may be the FPS guy, but Nintendo isnt really about FPS (Inb4 Metroid) and thus isnt really a likely candidate despite how recognizable he is.

Also, I can pick 2 3DS games or 1 Wii-U game for Christmas. What should I pick?
no idea what you own
Awesome 3ds games (ignoreing smash)
Kid Icarus Uprising
Fire Emblem Awakening
Kingdom Hearts dream drop distance. (of course the story will **** you up without experience. The gameplay is amazing though)
Kid Icarus Uprising

Wii U
Wonderful 101
Metroid Prime trilogy (eshop)
DK tropical Freeze (I would assume you had played this because Dixie)
Wonderful 101

Personally I think 2 > 1

Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Back to amiibos. I can't wait see what the Lucas patterned Yoshi looks like in Woolly World.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Ya know, I dunno why people seem soo opposed to think that it's possible that the slot between Mario Maker and Duck Hunt wasn't meant for Pirate Ship.

I mean, doesn't the WiiU version have a ton of unused stuff, like the Dr.Mario stage files?
Because people wanted surprises? And pretty much only that.

Yeah, there isn't any reason not to look into it.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
I think other then never being on a Nintendo system and being owned by the competition and guns the biggest problem with Master Chief is lack of popularity in Japan.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I think other then never being on a Nintendo system and being owned by the competition and guns the biggest problem with Master Chief is lack of popularity in Japan.
It's well liked from what I understand.

It's just sells abysmally.

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
Well that depends. What kinds of games are you looking at?
I dunno, Ive been on the fence for a few games:

Mario and Luigi: Paper Jam (Pre-order)
Yokai Watch
Xenoblade X
Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon
Triforce Heroes
Mario and Luigi: Dream Team
Mario Tennis Ultra Smash

For my Xbone
Battlefront III
CoD: BO3
Fallout 4

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
The problem with Master Chief in my opinion is his lack of notability in Japan. Yeah sure he's very iconic in the west. In Smash's homeland not so much.

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
no idea what you own
Awesome 3ds games (ignoreing smash)
Kid Icarus Uprising
Fire Emblem Awakening
Kingdom Hearts dream drop distance. (of course the story will **** you up without experience. The gameplay is amazing though)
Kid Icarus Uprising

Wii U
Wonderful 101
Metroid Prime trilogy (eshop)
DK tropical Freeze (I would assume you had played this because Dixie)
Wonderful 101

Personally I think 2 > 1
I had Kid Icarus Uprising and I lost it (RIP Magnus Cub with +6 Speed and Freezing Violet Palm ;-; ) so I kinda dont want that back and I own FE:A. Id rather not play KH without playing the othe games first. (Oh Sony how you taunt me)

Dont have W101 or Metroid Prime, and Ive been contemplating Trilogy too. As you said, I played Tropical Freeze, but I also played DKC2 so thats where all the Dixie comes from :p

Last edited:

Neo Zero

Japan also probably doesn't live on silly fan constructed roster rules based on misinterpreting Sakurai quotes.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
If Master Chief was actually a requested character, I do think he would be a good character to balance Cloud who's more popular in Japan, and Halo is obviously only really popular outside of it.

If you were to tell me that people would be legitimately speculating on Master Chief a month ago. . .I would have laughed in your face. I love the guy but damn do I think this is silly.

I hope Cloud is worth all this speculatory Strife.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Japan also probably doesn't live on silly fan constructed roster rules based on misinterpreting Sakurai quotes.
They were just as surprised as we were about Cloud.

They aren't above us there.

D

Deleted member

Japan also probably has the common sense to not even PONDER if Master Chief would ever show up in Smash.

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123

I cant wait to be blown out of the water next month,

Were all speculating which 3rd party guest character is going to get in, and Sakurai wont be having any of it. December is going to be oh so fun.

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
I'm not even going to try speculating what the next reveal is.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if Japan did similar things like us. Just simply replace some of our characters with theirs.
Fan Dumb is universal after all.

I'm not even going to try speculating what the next reveal is.
I stopped trying after Ryu. . . Which is awesome. Because Cloud came out of nowhere and I love it.

Same is going to happen in December. We have absolutely no idea what is going on. Everyone is likely and unlikely at the same time. It's Schrodinger's Ballot and I may not be able to tell you what happens in December but I can tell you it's going to be very, very exciting.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
The problem with Master Chief in my opinion is his lack of notability in Japan. Yeah sure he's very iconic in the west. In Smash's homeland not so much.
Banjo and Kazooie have a similar issue outside of the hardcore Smash and Nintendo fanbase. Crash is much more notable here.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I'm still incredulous that people think Cloud and actual Sony or Microsoft-owned characters are on equal footing.

As if association is interchangeable with ownership all of a sudden.

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
If they were lacking in everything, is it a good thing to say Gates was ****?
I do think it was a disappointment, but it really wasn't that bad. At least not as bad as WiiWare PMD.
To some extent yes, but even so, Gates does make a good number of mistakes. I do agree that it's not nearly as bad as some make it out to be (it's definitely not **** at least) and it's definitely not to the level of a downgrade like the WiiWare games were, but I will admit that it did cut some corners that could've been avoided.

Agreed, I was looking at LegendsofLocalization earlier and apparently they took a look at some of the comments from the reveal: http://legendsoflocalization.com/what-do-japanese-fans-think-of-cloud-in-super-smash-bros/

Honestly, for a region a lot of people keep treating like it's so far removed from us in terms of receptions, the comments they make are very similar to what we've seen here.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Agreed, I was looking at LegendsofLocalization earlier and apparently they took a look at some of the comments from the reveal: http://legendsoflocalization.com/what-do-japanese-fans-think-of-cloud-in-super-smash-bros/

Honestly, for a region a lot of people keep treating like it's so far removed from us in terms of receptions, the comments they make are very similar to what we've seen here.
"As always, the Internet filth of Japan gives a coldhearted response."

Oh my gosh.

People. Stop saying we're different.

WE ARE THE SAME.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Why did everyone's attention suddenly turn toward Master chief?

That's kind of weird

I've even seen videos online talking about him

Is he just an extreme?

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
To some extent yes, but even so, Gates does make a good number of mistakes. I do agree that it's not nearly as bad as some make it out to be (it's definitely not **** at least) and it's definitely not to the level of a downgrade like the WiiWare games were, but I will admit that it did cut some corners that could've been avoided.

Screen Shot 2015-11-18 at 4.19.00 pm.png

I couldn't agree more with the bottom post.

But the "3DS is done for" comment still confuses me lol :p

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
Master Chief, Crash, Simon Belmont, Lara Croft, Solid Snake.

These are the five biggest iconic characters currently not in SM4SH. Snake may not come back due to Kojima-Konami relations and Master Chief is Microsoft 1st-party who isn't even requested as the go-to Microsoft-owned rep by the Head of Xbox.

I still give it to Crash. Him and Simon Belmont are close, but Crash edges out for a mix of the same reasons Sonic and Cloud are so notable in Nintendo history: Crash as a platformer was super successful, and being a rival mascot for Sony to Mario and Sonic, as well as Squeenix flipping ship with FF7, truly solidified the Playstation as a gaming console and signaled the downfall of the 64 and Sega as a console manufacturer. The success of Crash, much like Sonic, forced Nintendo to step up their games with Mario and other characters.

He's well-known in Japan and is not a 1st-party to Microsoft or Sony, and despite Activisom currently sitting on the rights and Crash as a series being dormant, if Sakurai could get Cloud he has the 'clout' to get Crash, especially if Sony couldn't for PSASBR. But Smash is the established mascot fighter that everybody knows and loves already anyways haha.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885

"Please, Square-Enix! Put Geno in too!"

Japan knows what's up!

"Cloud doesn’t match Nintendo, shoulda gone with Bartz, though I doubt he’d be popular"

I love FF5, but it wasn't released in America. I dunno about Europe

Why did everyone's attention suddenly turn toward Master chief?

That's kind of weird

I've even seen videos online talking about him

Is he just an extreme?
>Cloud isn't nintendo related
>characters dont have to appear on a nintendo console
>3rd party characters must be an icon

Master Chief fills all of the roles so suddenly he is a point of discussion for some reason.

Neo Zero

I'd accept some of these arguments more if it wasn't coming from people who likely never would have considered Cloud having even a 1% chance before his reveal. All I'm saying is, get rid of your preconceptions

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
>Cloud isn't nintendo related
>characters dont have to appear on a nintendo console
>3rd party characters must be an icon

Master Chief fills all of the roles so suddenly he is a point of discussion for some reason.
Technically Cloud has been on Nintendo systems

Just FF7 hasn't

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom