• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

No one is going to be Ready For the next reveal.
Basically.... I mean... When you think about it, no matter who gets in, there's always going to be a big portion of people disappointed at this point. But at the same time, for me that's what makes this all exciting, there is no absolute obvious choice, and that makes things really interesting.

At this point, as long as the character is fun to use, I could care less. Like say if Master Chief somehow got into smash hypothetically, I wouldn't really complain at this point as long as he's fun to use. My friends and I would just have our chief vs samus matchups. LOL.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I'd accept some of these arguments more if it wasn't coming from people who likely never would have considered Cloud having even a 1% chance before his reveal. All I'm saying is, get rid of your preconceptions
Well that's just ad hominum.

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/ad-hominem

"You were wrong in the past so you're wrong now."

Come off it Neo. I never saw you saying how Cloud was likely either.

And I defended him.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Technically Cloud has been on Nintendo systems

Just FF7 hasn't
And they don't matter at all or else the whole trailer wouldn't have been FF7 related. AFAIK there wasn't a single general Final Fantasy reference in the whole reveal...they even used the FF7 title card...that argument is dead.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
We'll see Master Chief when Kratos shows up.

End of story.
Kratos isn't as influential or important as Chief, nor have his games sold nearly as well. MC was brought up because we were discussing remaining industry icons.

I would call Kratos an All Star.... But not an icon.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
And they don't matter at all or else the whole trailer wouldn't have been FF7 related. AFAIK there wasn't a single general Final Fantasy reference in the whole reveal...they even used the FF7 title card...that argument is dead.
He... wasn't... arguing.... anything?

Psycho was just bringing up a point.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Kratos isn't as influential or important as Chief, nor have his games sold nearly as well. MC was brought up because we were discussing remaining industry icons.

I would call Kratos an All Star.... But not an icon.
Others would say otherwise about Kratos not being an icon.

I agree ( I think) GodOW was/is pretty damn huge. Definitely one of the Playstations bigger games. Definitely an icon.
Basically.... I mean... When you think about it, no matter who gets in, there's always going to be a big portion of people disappointed at this point. But at the same time, for me that's what makes this all exciting, there is no absolute obvious choice, and that makes things really interesting.

At this point, as long as the character is fun to use, I could care less. Like say if Master Chief somehow got into smash hypothetically, I wouldn't really complain at this point as long as he's fun to use. My friends and I would just have our chief vs samus matchups. LOL.
Oh hai megalon.
How you doin'?
They don't like DLC?

Huh.

The west is more open to that kind of stuff I guess.
I dont know of a lot of Japanese DLC. I DO however know of a lot of popular western franchises that shove DLC down our throats. COD, GearsOW, Halo, Bethesda the list goes on. Sure there is easter games with DLC but we are far more desensetized to the stuff

Technically Cloud has been on Nintendo systems

Just FF7 hasn't
I have a Kingdom Hearts Cloud avatar.
You're at least the 5th person on this site who thinks I don't know Cloud has appeared in Nintendo consoles. whyyyyyyy

Last edited:

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master
Have any of you seen The Martian? I finally got around to seeing it today and... Oh my god. That movie was amazing, I was on the edge of my seat for the whole 2+ hour movie. Definitely in my top 5 movies of this year, with Age of Ultron, Ant-Man, Fury Road, and Inside Out.

2015 is a great year to be a movie fan.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
He... wasn't... arguing.... anything?
Just saying in general. A lot of people have been saying MC isn't possible because Cloud had cameos on Nintendo platforms. I think MC is unlikely due to other issues but not being on Nintendo platforms ever is not the issue, IMO.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Also, I can pick 2 3DS games or 1 Wii-U game for Christmas. What should I pick?
Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. and Fire Emblem: Awakening would be my first two picks due to obvious reasons, and they're honestly both really fun.

For Wii U, maybe Pikmin 3?

I just realized this list is very strategy heavy. You like strategy games? :p

. . .Holy **** it's been years since I played Kingdom Hearts Re: coded and it is just NOW that I realize that the Olympus Coliseum was made an RPG, not because everything had a gimmick, but because CLOUD WAS THERE.

I feel really really stupid right now.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I'd take Master Chief just for a sheer **** of it at this point, and the **** that would be lost upon reveal when the Halo theme chanting starts. xD

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
All I have to say about Master Chief is that we'd be lucky if we get Banjo.

Until that happens, I see Master Chief as a LONG shot. No pun intended.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
I'd rather have a man made of Tetsis pieces in Smash before Master Chief. [insert image of Tetris man]

Last edited:

FinalStarmen

Smash Ace
In regards to the whole PushDustIn thing, this is the second time I've seen saltiness directed to someone in this thread with some relation to Foghorn Leghorn, in some way.

I'd never thought I'd associate the chicken with Smash-related butt-hurt now, but here I am.

Also, I don't even know how I feel in regards to
serious discussions over Master Chief's merit as a Smash character. It's a bizarre occurrence that would have never taken place last week. It'll take me a while to get used to.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I'm surprised there's an ongoing discussion of iconic video game characters and no mention of Rayman.
We did.

It's just, "yeah, he'd be cool and presents no real problems."

Master Chief sparks more discussion.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
God of War is one of the three pillars of modern hack n' slash games, alongside Ninja Gaiden and (especially) Devil May Cry.

A lofty achievement, sure, but Halo helped revolutionize FPS on consoles. This is a genre that basically took over the market. God of War has sold over 21 million units, a good total, but Halo has sold over 3 times that at over 65 million.

Halo is in a different league.

D

Deleted member

Oh hai megalon.
How you doin'?
I'm doing fine, better than ever, really. I had to recover from my misbehaviour months ago, but I at least recovered well. Thus why I've been inactive for a very long time. Buuuuut, seeing my boyfriend's excitement for Cloud reminded me to attempt to come back on here consistently. And what better time than not too long before the ballot winners' reveal?

Have any of you seen The Martian? I finally got around to seeing it today and... Oh my god. That movie was amazing, I was on the edge of my seat for the whole 2+ hour movie. Definitely in my top 5 movies of this year, with Age of Ultron, Ant-Man, Fury Road, and Inside Out.

2015 is a great year to be a movie fan.
It's one of the movies this year I have yet to see. So far my favorite being Mad Max Fury Road.

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
I'm surprised there's an ongoing discussion of iconic video game characters and no mention of Rayman.
Was thinking the same thing actually. I could definitely see him happening, a lot more than I could during Omni's shenanigans.

See I like Master Chief. I support the guy for smash (on bias alone)

but this guy. This guy with the hands. He makes sense. He isn't some crazy choice we're using because he breaks a bunch of old rules that dont exist anymore allegedly.

Phoenix Wright Rayman is a really cool dude and I would love to see him smash his way in.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Rayman did already get turned down at one point during Smash 4's development, so, like, that's not exactly a good sign for him.

It's not like Ubisoft were like "can you put him in as a trophy plz?" and then Sakurai was like "how about as a character?" and then Ubisoft was like "nah, trophy is fine." lmao

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Was thinking the same thing actually. I could definitely see him happening, a lot more than I could during Omni's shenanigans.
I mentioned this in the latest Source Gaming podcast.

Rayman has sold 26 million units.

Assasin's Creed has sold 87 million units (more than Legend of Zelda).

What's the more iconic Ubisoft series? What's the more recognizable Ubisoft series? I REALLY want to say Rayman (actually, I want to say Prince of Persia), but I'm not so sure.

Shroob

Sup?
I never thought I'd live to see the day that not only Cloud is in Smash, but Master Chief being seriously discussed as a potential character.

OY VEY

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
Rayman did already get turned down at one point during Smash 4's development, so, like, that's not exactly a good sign for him.

It's not like Ubisoft were like "can you put him in as a trophy plz?" and then Sakurai was like "how about as a character?" and then Ubisoft was like "nah, trophy is fine." lmao
I mean at the same time. Neither Sakurai or Ubisoft have said jack **** about why there's three Rayman trophies in the first place.

We got an explanation for the Commander Video trophy before the Rayman trophies.

Soul.

I just noticed Wii U was released 3 years ago on this day lol
But the "3DS is done for" comment still confuses me lol :p
Maybe it's the lack of noticeable boost in sales at least for now.

When it is done for, I'll embrace the mobile market not really

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442

What's the more iconic Ubisoft series? What's the more recognizable Ubisoft series? I REALLY want to say Rayman (actually, I want to say Prince of Persia), but I'm not so sure.
And Assassin's Creed currently gets most of those sales through hype culture.
I would imagine Rayman got where it was solely due to being a series of great games.

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
Well that's just ad hominum.

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/ad-hominem

"You were wrong in the past so you're wrong now."

Come off it Neo. I never saw you saying how Cloud was likely either.

And I defended him.
I only spoke about leaks Swamp. The only speculation thread I was really active in was Bandana Dee lol.

I was always the more open type though, I'd defend even odd choices if I thought there was a grain of truth in it and the logic behind it made sense. More speaking up now to hopefully further enhance the point Push has been pushing lately.

D

Deleted member

I'd take Master Chief just for a sheer **** of it at this point, and the **** that would be lost upon reveal when the Halo theme chanting starts. xD
It's how I feel about a certain robotic ursine.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Ubisoft still acknowledges him as their mascot, and he is the one who has trophies in Smash over AC.

They called him their "Mickey Mouse," so even Ubisoft apparently thinks he's more iconic despite sales.

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928

Woah, I had no idea that AC sold so much.Ezio 4 Smash?

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Ubisoft still acknowledges him as their mascot, and he is the one who has trophies in Smash over AC.

They called him their "Mickey Mouse," so even Ubisoft apparently thinks he's more iconic despite sales.
Rayman has the history.

Assassin's Creed has the sales.

Regardless, we should all be talking about Snake. :snake:

You know is there any direct statement that we can't have non-videogame characters or is that just another fan rule? I know it's been said that there were no anime/manga characters but that wouldn't stop other charcters.

Like this guy for instance

He completely revolutionized the FPS industry and made multiplayer a thing. This guy is the reason we have multiplayer FPS. There are no characters I can think of who affected a genre with so much power in the industry as much as him.

He has CQC from all o his raining we know he was. Hell he has a karate chop. Melee moves would be simple. He has space lasers and explosives to get through the ratings board just fine.

And he certainly is a huge icon with giant impact.

Im talking about

Bond, James Bond

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
And Assassin's Creed currently gets most of those sales through hype culture.
I would imagine Rayman got where it was solely due to being a series of great games.
Whatever the reason, sales are sales. Every game sold represents a person that has played the franchise and is familiar with the characters.

That white hood is very recognizable to modern gamers.

Shroob

Sup?
You know is there any direct statement that we can't have non-videogame characters or is that just another fan rule? I know it's been said that there were no anime/manga characters but that wouldn't stop other charcters.

Like this guy for instance

He completely revolutionized the FPS industry and made multiplayer a thing. This guy is the reason we have multiplayer FPS. There are no characters I can think of who affected a genre with so much power in the industry as much as him.

He has CQC from all o his raining we know he was. Hell he has a karate chop. Melee moves would be simple. He has space lasers and explosives to get through the ratings board just fine.

And he certainly is a huge icon with giant impact.

Im talking about

Bond, James Bond
Wasn't the reason James Bond not in Smash because the legal issues would be horrendous?

Wasn't the reason James Bond not in Smash because the legal issues would be horrendous?
Something like that
In a similar vein, James Bond was considered for Melee. Again, “adult circumstances” led to him not being included. Sakurai actually lists the reasons here (Japanese). The reasons are: Can’t have realistic guns in the game. Can’t use the actor’s likeness. Since the game is originally based on a movie, the copyright won’t go through. Lastly, it’s owned by Rare.
source
http://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/04/13/the-definitive-unused-fighters-list-in-smash/

I just felt some good old fashioned satire was needed in here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom