• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reality_Ciak

Smash Ace
Dang it. My hopes for Banjo Kazooie are getting to dangerous level. That level that's anywhere above no hope at all... but Cloud makes me want Rare to follow Square (Enix) on the way back home.. curse you, Hope...

DoodleDuck97

Smash Hero
Living in a peacefull place on nowhere islands.
So Metal Gear Fans I come here to ask?.
Should I go out of my way to play the Metal Gear (Solid) games.
Because so far I am n the verge of buying the whole series.
And Snake is slowly craping his way into my Want List.
I honestly want him and Wolf back this next Direct if I can't have Ice Climbers.
Kept you waiting huh

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
So I was thinking about this for a while. Each Third Party Character (& Mario) are iconic in their own right. Basically Kings in there own domain. When thinking about that, I categorized what each 3rd Party character (& Mario) would be a king of essentially. Here's what I came up with:
:4mario:- King of the Industry

:4megaman: - King of Platformers (and the Fan-Favorite)

:4sonic:- The King of Rivals

:4pacman:- The King of Icons

:4ryu: - King of Fighters (Not SNK's series unfortunately...)

:4cloud:- King of RPGs
So... what do you guys think?
King of Rivals and King of Icons feels a bit weak. Replace King of Rivals with The White Rose and King of Icons with King of the Arcade or The First King.
Edit: Weak, not out of place. That was what I was looking for.

Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Um...
I don't even have words for what I just witnessed. Just that Pac-Man is now ****ing top tier.
You're implying that it's so easy to setup.

It's a dangerous moveset now but that doesn't mean that it's gonna useable in real matches but we'll see

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
So Metal Gear Fans I come here to ask?.
Should I go out of my way to play the Metal Gear games.
Because so far I am n the verge of buying the whole series.
And Snake is slowly craping his way into my Want List.
I honestly want him and Wolf back this next Direct if I can't have Ice Climbers.
Kept you waiting huh
You mean Metal Gear SOLID, or Metal Gear 1 and 2?

If you want MGS...Yes. BUY THEM ALL.

If you want the whole series, Metal Gear 1 and 2 won't hurt. They're not much like the other games, and they're explained in MGS1/MGS2, but some MGS events have more impact if you've played Metal Gear 1 and 2.

King of Rivals and King of Icons feels a bit weak. Replace King of Rivals with The White Rose and King of Icons with King of the Arcade or The First King.
Edit: Weak, not out of place. That was what I was looking for.
...The White Rose? Sonic's a flower, now?

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
I'd like to bring up a counter to your point in the disclaimer about Microsoft and Sony characters, you say that you don't want to see Sony or Microsoft characters until all the Nintendo stars we need. Something I would just like to say, Smash is still a Nintendo crossover first and foremost, allowing in 3rd parties is something that makes sense, cause a lot of them are a part of Nintendo history, but adding Microsoft and Sony characters are what you would call Smash finally jumping the shark, seeing as Smash is meant to be a crossover between Nintendo games, adding Microsoft and Sony would mean that Smash has lost its way.

Just my small thought on some stuff said in the disclaimer.

But like you said Master Chief doesn't belong in Smash, he maybe an icon, but is still a 1st party Microsoft character, which is why he isn't happening.
Honestly, I thought Smash was done with 3rd party characters with the base game. They hit the 3 bases they needed to hit. The 3 most important 3rd party characters to the Company. Sonic, Mega Man, and Pac Man. That is all we ever needed for Smash. And I can guarantee you that these 3 are shoe ins for every future iteration of Smash.

Then Ryu came in, and I kind of understood. Smash is a fighting game. Ryu IS fighting games. So that makes some sense in my mind.

Then Cloud. Cloud changes it all for me. But not because he's so far seperated from Nintendo. He has a place not in Nintendo's history. But gaming as a whole.

I honestly get the feeling that going forward with 3rd Parties, Sakurai already has the 3 guys needed to help define Nintendo (Sonic, Pac and Mega Man). The only other plces to go that are truly important with 3rd Parties... Is how they represent gaming as a whole. That's my case for an Xbox and Playstation rep.

DoodleDuck97

Smash Hero
Living in a peacefull place on nowhere islands.
You mean Metal Gear SOLID, or Metal Gear 1 and 2?

If you want MGS...Yes. BUY THEM ALL.

If you want the whole series, Metal Gear 1 and 2 won't hurt. They're not much like the other games, and they're explained in MGS1/MGS2, but some MGS events have more impact if you've played Metal Gear 1 and 2.

...The White Rose? Sonic's a flower, now?
I meant more so the Solid series :)
So I edited my post just to be lightly more clear.

Soul.

Um...
I don't even have words for what I just witnessed. Just that Pac-Man is now ****ing top tier.
That looks cool, but I honestly doubt someone will do this on a real match. Pac's shield breaks are hilarious though.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
I learned that I'm allergic to latex. I'm just glad I learned that from wearing gloves and not something else...
I updated that image of before

I might eventually add other third parties just for the sake of it
Do you think you could replace Banjo & Kazooie with Snake pls?

Last edited:

Retroend

Retro Gamer
NNID
Re7ron
3DS FC
3669-1436-3958
Switch FC
SW-5947-2141-6122
sorry to bring this up again, but about the datamine, how many stages slots were found in there again?

Starlight_Lily

Stage Overflowing with Starlight
Yo I just saw you in the Henry Fleming thread a few days ago lol, off topic but glad a Frank West lover is here!

Final Fantasy is a Sony series, console appearance-wise. I'm not saying Master Chief is more then 2% more likely now, but he's 1% more likely now that Cloud's in.
Umm, no, Final Fantasy is multi-platform series, Master Chief's chances are still 0, because he doesn't belong anywhere near a Nintendo crossover, due do being a Microsoft character.

Honestly, I thought Smash was done with 3rd party characters with the base game. They hit the 3 bases they needed to hit. The 3 most important 3rd party characters to the Company. Sonic, Mega Man, and Pac Man. That is all we ever needed for Smash. And I can guarantee you that these 3 are shoe ins for every future iteration of Smash.

Then Ryu came in, and I kind of understood. Smash is a fighting game. Ryu IS fighting games. So that makes some sense in my mind.

Then Cloud. Cloud changes it all for me. But not because he's so far seperated from Nintendo. He has a place not in Nintendo's history. But gaming as a whole.

I honestly get the feeling that going forward with 3rd Parties, Sakurai already has the 3 guys needed to help define Nintendo (Sonic, Pac and Mega Man). The only other plces to go that are truly important with 3rd Parties... Is how they represent gaming as a whole. That's my case for an Xbox and Playstation rep.
Well, what I'm saying is Smash is still meant to be primarily Nintendo, so bringing in Microsoft or Sony owned characters, is Smash jumping the shark, and losing its way.

Edit: Whoops, sorry about that, put my reply in the quote by accident.

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
I just beat the pax road stage in mario maker. Not as bad as I thought but still annoying at parts.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
sorry to bring this up again, but about the datamine, how many stages slots were found in there again?
6. But as you know the stages take up 2 slots due to Omega stages so it's 3. Some people believe the slot before Duck Hunt was Pirate ship but it couldn't work on 3DS thus meaning there's one more slot left. But I'm going with the theory it's Midgar.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
I know I'm kind of small potatoes on this forum, but I'd appreciate it if you guys could check out my friends who are streaming the new Battlefront game. The only people that watch their streams are me and other friends, so I'd appreciate it if you could help out, maybe you'll like it. If you don't you can just leave. I might stream games with them in the future (probably mostly Nintendo games like Smash). http://www.twitch.tv/fancychickens1

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
If you have something that crits a lot...but also receives crits a lot

Is it better to raise the strength of attacks, so that the crits deal more damage and hope it survives

Or raise speed so it attacks more often, more likely to get crits before it inevitably takes a crit?

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Here you go :p

I'm really hoping any of those two manage to get in as DLC
These are the big hitters.

As much as I like him. Banjo just isn't that big.

He's not an industry titan like these guys.

Arguably I'd put Kirby and Samus in there as I feel they are big enough but wow.

To think, we're one away from this.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
These are the big hitters.

As much as I like him. Banjo just isn't that big.

He's not an industry titan like these guys.

Arguably I'd put Kirby and Samus in there as I feel they are big enough but wow.

To think, we're one away from this.
We've been having an argument about who is an all star on Source Gaming for almost four days now. Banjo and Kazooie is probably the most controversial one where people like you and me think that the duo isn't an icon, whereas other people (mainly @TheAnvil and Nantendo on the SG side) think he is. I can see this debate being the next Geno/ Ridley / etc debate.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
In this anime, Kyuubi is trying to collect 100 hearts of woman

He is desperate to get the 100th heart

When he's making that speech, a transvestite or cross dresser (???) walks by completely entranced and it's heart comes out

and kyuubi knocks it away

Last edited:

Roaring Salsa

A dragon never yields
Here's a question for you guys

From the pictured I posted, which other characters from the series shown there do you feel contain even more than one iconic character? I'll go ahead and say Luigi and Bowser clearly belong there as well as Tails, Eggman and Chun-Li... maybe Charizard also

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
We've been having an argument about who is an all star on Source Gaming for almost four days now. Banjo and Kazooie is probably the most controversial one where people like you and me think that the duo isn't an icon, whereas other people (mainly @TheAnvil and Nantendo on the SG side) think he is. I can see this debate being the next Geno/ Ridley / etc debate.
Banjo is too big for Smash.

:troll:

Roaring Salsa

A dragon never yields
Banjo & Kazooie aren't an icon. However IMO, they do carry a huge legacy from the N64 era which kinda serves as a middle ground between the older and newer generations of gaming. I think the Rareware buyout from Nintendo to Microsoft is probably the most known of video game related buyouts so far.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
If you have something that crits a lot...but also receives crits a lot

Is it better to raise the strength of attacks, so that the crits deal more damage and hope it survives

Or raise speed so it attacks more often, more likely to get crits before it inevitably takes a crit?
Are you referring to insomni?

I just gave her the equipment that prevented getting hit by critical attacks.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I dunno, he's certainly made just about as much an impact on people as other big names

He took the formula people loved about the 3D platformer and took it to the next level.

I still don't see the appeal of Cloud. Yeah, I get he took the FF series to 3D games...But at the same time, the series hasn't exactly been outstanding since it came into 3D gaming. FF 6 was much deeper IMO, but FF7 just happened to be at the right place at the right time.

What really makes someone an icon more than popularity or being at the right place at the right time?

Retroend

Retro Gamer
NNID
Re7ron
3DS FC
3669-1436-3958
Switch FC
SW-5947-2141-6122
6. But as you know the stages take up 2 slots due to Omega stages so it's 3. Some people believe the slot before Duck Hunt was Pirate ship but it couldn't work on 3DS thus meaning there's one more slot left. But I'm going with the theory it's Midgar.
3 Stages left. One slot left over from 1.0.6 and two more added in 1.1.1.

EDIT: :4greninja:'d
the reason i'm asking is because ever newcomer DLC has had a new stage alongside them. if we have 3 stage slots left, wouldn't that mean we would get 3 newcomers? and couldn't more slots be added for newcomers and stages as well?

Ivander

Smash Legend

From the pictured I posted, which other characters from the series shown there do you feel contain even more than one iconic character? I'll go ahead and say Luigi and Bowser clearly belong there as well as Tails, Eggman and Chun-Li... maybe Charizard also
For Mario: Definitely Luigi, Peach and Bowser. Maybe Toad.
For Pokemon: I think Charizard and Blastoise have a shot.
For Zelda: Zelda and Ganondorf.
For Street Fighter: Definitely Chun-Li and maybe Ken.
For Sonic: Definitely Tails and Eggman.
For Megaman: Doctor Wily. I mean, wasn't he going to be with the villains in Wreck-it-Ralph?
For Metal Gear: I wouldn't know.
For Pac-Man: I'm sure people would recognize the Ghosts.
For Final Fantasy: I'm sure the Chocobo would be recognized. Maybe the Moogle, Black Mage and White Mage. For named characters, Sephiroth and maybe Squall. I would say Cid, but all the Cids are different.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master

Peach, Yoshi, Toad, Wario, Ms. Pac-Man, the ghosts, maybe Diddy Kong, I guess Daisy and Waluigi, Meowth, Squirtle, Bulbasaur, Mewtwo, Knuckles maybe, maybe Ken.

Last edited:

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
Banjo and Kazooie fit because they pack a lot of nostalgia for Nintendo fans. 'All Star' title aside, having them on the roster is significant because it adds Microsoft's name to the credits. I'd almost argue that's more important for exposure than the character itself.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom