• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
To play Devil's Advocate...

I think when people complain about "Anime Swordsmen"... they mean very Japanese Anime like characters. Say what you want, but you cannot deny that the FE characters, Shulk, and Cloud have that look.

While I love Cloud, I see the complaints. Aside from a very niche, but very vocal, internet Subculture, these characters only appeal to a very Japanese audience. The awkward kids that sit at the Lunch Table in the corner sharing Crunchyroll accounts might be extremely excited, while some average people may get a little annoyed past a certain point.

Again, not saying I necessarily agree with this view. As Cloud has always been one of my favorite game characters ever (I just never expected him for Smash), but you gotta see the other side's point of view as well.

DeathFox137

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Tech137
You know something. If Cloud had other alts in this game, they should put him in a dress just like in his game just for giggles. I would love to see that. The reactions would be too good. But I am sure it may not happen, but anyone can dream.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I only really watch Soul Eater now a days.
Ah, Soul Eater. I watched the anime and read the manga about 2 years ago.

The manga is better than the anime, in my opinion. It's a fun series nonetheless.

There's better, though.

Probably due to how many franchises Nintendo has that have massive western influence.

:4fox::4dk::4samus::4wario2::4littlemac:&:4link: get passes because of how many games did more for the western audience than the Japanese.

Plus when you combine the fact that anime is the cool thing to hate because of its insufferable fanbases, it leans towards a more Us vs Them mentality. When in fact the only non-Japanese character in Smash is :4diddy:.

Fans just want a Real American Western Nintendo character in their eyes.
Thing is, aside from the creations of Rare and Retro Studios, pretty much all Nintendo characters are Japanese.

The only requested characters for Smash that aren't Japanese are Dixie Kong and King K. Rool.

I do agree that the anime fanbases are mostly insufferable, though I say the same about the Smash fanbase... Well, pretty much every fanbase, as a matter of fact.

The ******** about anime-like swordsman is still stupid, nonetheless. You can't even blame Sakurai for that.

It is a fact that Japan uses sword-wielding characters (especially heroes/protagonists) in pretty much everything. Even modern settings will often feature swordsmen for whatever reason. You know, rule of cool. They just like that stuff. Nothing wrong with that, I'd say. It's probably a cultural thing.

I mean, of the anime characters I showed earlier, half of them use a katana as their main weapon. You know, the main weapon of a samurai. Again, it's likely a cultural thing. Japanese feudalism lasted until late 19th century when the USA re-introduced fire arms in the country, so this kind of stuff is probably more ingrained in their culture. (The first time fire arms were introduced in Japan was around the 15th~16th centuries by European explorers, specifically Portuguese, but were banished in the 17th century. Just a historical tidbit.)

Even mecha anime often feature giant robots using swords, so sword wielding characters in Smash isn't surprising at all.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
To play Devil's Advocate...

I think when people complain about "Anime Swordsmen"... they mean very Japanese Anime like characters. Say what you want, but you cannot deny that the FE characters, Shulk, and Cloud have that look.

While I love Cloud, I see the complaints. Aside from a very niche, but very vocal, internet Subculture, these characters only appeal to a very Japanese audience. The awkward kids that sit at the Lunch Table in the corner sharing Crunchyroll accounts might be extremely excited, while some average people may get a little annoyed past a certain point.

Again, not saying I necessarily agree with this view. As Cloud has always been one of my favorite game characters ever (I just never expected him for Smash), but you gotta see the other side's point of view as well.
Ironically enough, Shulk being the epitome of a modern "anime" design made him stand out even among other anime-style characters in Smash 4.

D

Deleted member

Ah, the ol' "anime swordsman" excuse...

You know what are anime swordsmen?

I don't see any of them in Smash. Do you?
And even if they were in Smash, none of them would be clones of each other
Which is the second argument I see when a sworduser character is announced
Which is basically "Counter as Down B=Marth clone"

Even then, I wish we could see other kinds of weapon users in Smash
We don't have an axe or spear user *cough*Hector*cough* *cough*anotherFEcharacter*cough*

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
Ironically enough, Shulk being the epitome of a modern "anime" design made him stand out even among other anime-style characters in Smash 4.
Honestly I always though Shulk appealed more to a Western audience than any other of those kinds of characters.

The FE character trailer was a pure anime look, and it doesn't help having those character featured in the extremely "weird" Shenmugami Tensei.

Shulk was revealed really well to a Western audience IMO. A kid who can see the future and has a dank sword. The FE characters are pretty bland on the surface.

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928

I don't see it personally. It might just be his Smash 4 model.

And even if they were in Smash, none of them would be clones of each other
Which is the second argument I see when a sworduser character is announced
Which is basically "Counter as Down B=Marth clone"

We don't have an axe or spear user *cough*Hector*cough* *cough*anotherFEcharacter*cough*
An axe huh. . .

I still cant believe we dont have a true spear user. . . Of course my favorite weapon has no representation :/ (inb4 bdee)
I do however know another spear wielder
:troll:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
I'm glad google translate work well:
Screenshot (30).png

As you can see, the pokedex registers prisoners now.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I could never understand the whole "too much anime" argument. Like, it's perfectly reasonable to criticize a Japanese company for using a Japanese art style, but yet you never hear anyone using "too western" for like Marvel or DC. What's with that?

Starlight_Lily

Stage Overflowing with Starlight
I find it funny how a lot of the speculation scene has thought that SE was being too stingy for a character, yet the opposite seems to be the case.
Well, it was pretty much because of the way Square-Enix acts towards fan art and projects of fans of their series sometimes, so we thought they'd be stingy, but since Square sees Nintendo and Namco as business partners, it does make sense they'd be more willing to work with them on one of their properties.

Last edited:

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
That's ok. You'll learn to love it.....
Especially when it will be your OWN design soon enough....
It is my opinion that the 5 Nights 1 animatronics are some of the best designs I've seen in video games generally.
They are stupendously well suited to the atmosphere and source of horror for the game.

D

Deleted member

Apparently, Cloud's Advent Children costume is called "Cloudy Wolf" in Dissidia
gg Wolf confirmed, you win our bet Bananija Bananija
You know something. If Cloud had other alts in this game, they should put him in a dress just like in his game just for giggles. I would love to see that. The reactions would be too good. But I am sure it may not happen, but anyone can dream.
Good to see there are users here that agree with my views
Even if for different reasons
An axe huh. . .

I still cant believe we dont have a true spear user. . . Of course my favorite weapon has no representation :/ (inb4 bdee)
I do however know another spear wielder
:troll:
Expected Undyne
Was disappointed
View attachment 83224

Dude, it has been doing that since Gen 1
Did you even listen to Team Plasma's speech?

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
I could never understand the whole "too much anime" argument. Like, it's perfectly reasonable to criticize a Japanese company for using a Japanese art style, but yet you never hear anyone using "too western" for like Marvel or DC. What's with that?
That excuse and the whole sword characters argument is really starting to get annoying and literally irking me, its like come up with something else for not liking the character besides the obvious, especially when we don't know how the character would play out.

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
D

Deleted member

Introducing FFVII Last Order
Was Cloud in that, or was it a prequel? I don't know much of FFVIII, but I'm pretty sure that's Zack.
It is my opinion that the 5 Nights 1 animatronics are some of the best designs I've seen in video games generally.
They are stupendously well suited to the atmosphere and source of horror for the game.
Agreed. I feel the designs for 2 and 4 were trying a little too hard to be scary.
(Though to be fair, Chica's design in 2 does frigging scare me. It's those eyes, man....)

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Bias, obviously.

It is stupid to criticize a Japanese company such as Nintendo or Square Enix for using Japanese art styles.

As you said, it's like criticizing Marvel or DC for being too Western and demanding them to use a manga style.

It doesn't work. The artists that work for those companies naturally have their own cultural influences and it shows in their art.

View attachment 83224

Ah, Google Translate. It can be useful at times, but it does know how to completely butcher the concept of translation. :chuckle:

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
I'm not really a fan of the idea of Lara. I mean, Cloud's game may not have been on nintendo, but the Final Fantasy series was still on Nintendo, and was important on Nintendo.
The only tomb raider game on Nintendo was a non canon game boy game.

Agreed. I feel the designs for 2 and 4 were trying a little too hard to be scary.
(Though to be fair, Chica's design in 2 does frigging scare me. It's those eyes, man....)
This is exactly what I've been saying.
The Five Nights 1 animatronics are scary looking, but they feel scary on accident. They are benign enough that they seem like something that could actually exist. That is what makes them so scary, they remind us of actual experiences that we've had.

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
And everyone here is talking about anime swordsmen, while I'm just sitting here wait for either a spear use, a thin man and his hammer, a superhero, or squid kids.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
If Minecraft comes to Wii U, I will support Steve?! for smash.
I don't really like Minecraft, but that isn't what is important to me.
Minecraft has star power.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Introducing FFVII Last Order
It's pretty much scenes before Zack's death in Crisis Core animated and have some liberties taken.

It's just like any FF spinoff of the original numbered games, just ignore it

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
I'm not really a fan of the idea of Lara. I mean, Cloud's game may not have been on nintendo, but the Final Fantasy series was still on Nintendo, and was important on Nintendo.
Actually she had Tomb Raider Legend, Anniversary and Underworld on the GC, Wii GBA and DS respectively.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Well I mean, to be fair that's what Pokemon technically are.
"They love to be Pokeballs!" They'll say. "They love to fight in battles!" They'll say.

Don't believe their lies.
I'm willing to accept any headcanon to make myself feel guilt-free.
When I play Kirby games, my headcanon is that I'm not actually killing the cute Waddle Dees, I'm freeing them from mind control, and letting them escape.

D

Deleted member

Tomb Raider: Legend
Tomb Raider: Anniversary
Tomb Raider: Underworld
Tomb Raider (Game Boy)
Tomb Raider: Curse of the Sword (sequel to the above)
Tomb Raider: The Prophecy (second sequel to the above)

This is exactly what I've been saying.
The Five Nights 1 animatronics are scary looking, but they feel scary on accident. They are benign enough that they seem like something that could actually exist. That is what makes them so scary, they remind us of actual experiences that we've had.
Same with the Toy Animatronics from 2, but they are over-the-top in a different way...

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

But seriously, other than not having the Exalted Falchion and instead using...a Levin Sword of all things, PXZ2 made Chrom basically how I wanted him in Smash. :p

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Actually she had Tomb Raider Legend, Anniversary and Underworld on the GC, Wii GBA and DS respectively.
Tomb Raider: Legend
Tomb Raider: Anniversary
Tomb Raider: Underworld
Tomb Raider (Game Boy)
Tomb Raider: Curse of the Sword (sequel to the above)
Tomb Raider: The Prophecy (second sequel to the above)

Same with the Toy Animatronics from 2, but they are over-the-top in a different way...
I stand corrected. I'd be OK with Lara in Smash.
The Toy animatronics are also pretty well designed, though not as good as one's.

Roaring Salsa

A dragon never yields
I'd like if Ike could also use the Urvan as part of his attacks or just as a taunt. It serves as a nice way to reference that he's also an axe wielder and also
Reference his father's weapon

I can also imagine Lucina being declonified for the next game possibly adding lances and bows to her moveset like she does in Codename S.T.E.A.M. Her turning from a Marth clone to getting her own unique moveset could even reference how she develops as a character in Awakening... at least that's what I think happens in her game; anyone who has played it feel free to correct me

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Well I mean, to be fair that's what Pokemon technically are.
"They love to be Pokeballs!" They'll say. "They love to fight in battles!" They'll say.

Don't believe their lies.
Yeah but the funny thing is, it says prisoners and pokemon. So that's why the police don't do their job! The pokeballs capture convicts to!

Soul.

"too much anime" is a fan-made rule or just something people say because muh swords?

I don't think any character needs changes. Except Ganon. Ganon needs original specials. He can keep his aerials though

D

Deleted member

"too much anime" is a fan-made rule or just something people say because muh swords?

I don't think any character needs changes. Except Ganon. Ganon needs original specials. He can keep his aerials though
No, please, I want my main just as he is
With Ganoncide and Disrespect Punch
Shut up, N.
DON'T YOU DARE SHUT THE VOICE OF TRUTH

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
I've come up with a moveset for Ganon that makes him both feel unique, but also familiar to people who liked playing as him in the current smash games.
Neutral SPecial: Dead Man's Volley
His projectile from OoT. The only totally changed special. Warlock punch becomes a taunt kill.
Side: Flame Choke
Unchanged.
Up: Thief King's Evasion
Similar to his current up special, but with changed animations and greater control over trajectory at the expense of slower speed.
Down: Trident rush: Functionally very similar to Wizard's Kick, but uses a trident instead of a kick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom