• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Soul.

No, please, I want my main just as he is
With Ganoncide and Disrespect Punch
I was only kidding. I don't see them changing movesets anytime soon; I understand that people want a more "canon" moveset but, again, I don't see it happening. At least right now.

Bananija

Count of Trickery
I was only kidding. I don't see them changing movesets anytime soon; I understand that people want a more "canon" moveset but, again, I don't see it happening. At least right now.
Beast Ganon is, in my opinion, the best chance for a more "canon" Ganon moveset.

Also, he would be badass.

Last edited:

Jdaster64

Smash Ace
NNID
Jdaster64
3DS FC
4141-3026-8303
Switch FC
SW 7540 0069 7907
Personally, I dislike swordsmen in Smash, but only because I'm a FFA-playing scrub and they just don't mesh with my brawler-esque playstyle. Roy being the exception, because close range (and Melee nostalgia). Just so long as Cloud doesn't have a deceptively-long-lasting counter (*cough* Shulk) I'm fine with him.

That being said, I'd much prefer we get some good ol' physical fighters for the (presumably) last couple slots.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
You know, while I despise the whole "another anime swordsman" thing, to be fair, Japan isn't exempt from similar things.

The major reason Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. bombed in Japan was the fact that they found it "too American" for their liking. So yeah, people all over the world can have terrible opinions. :p

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
They couldn't handle steam Lincoln beating the hell out of Cthulhu

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Wait, Cthulhu is in this game?:confused:
Well, not exactly

But Lovecraft was, as "Randolph Carter". His bio says he's the "Alter Ego of Lovecraft"

And the monsters apparently were trying to fit in with Lovecraft lore

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Wait, Cthulhu is in this game?:confused:
Basically all the aliens are Lovecraftian actually. Randolph Carter's even playable.
The Shoggoth even appears near the end, though it's called Shugguth for some reason.

Come to think of it, maybe the title had something to do with it bombing in Japan. Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. sounds a lot better than Lincoln vs the Aliens, which sounds more like a plot synopsis.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I just want Dorothy and the gang to have a spin off game in steam oz

They were my favorite characters

Last edited:

Bananija

Count of Trickery
Basically all the aliens are Lovecraftian actually. Randolph Carter's even playable.

Come to think of it, maybe the title had something to do with it bombing in Japan. Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. sounds a lot better than Lincoln vs the Aliens, which sounds more like a plot synopsis.
*cough* Cowboy vs Aliens *cough*

This game looks nicer now that I know this. Too bad that I don't own a 3DS:psycho:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
If you are a fan of Oz, the game gets better and better

Than takes an all time high later in the game with them actually having plot relevance

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Basically if you like literature and strategy, you'll like Codename S.T.E.A.M.

D

Deleted member

But seriously, other than not having the Exalted Falchion and instead using...a Levin Sword of all things, PXZ2 made Chrom basically how I wanted him in Smash. :p
Ironically, it's also how I would've liked to have seen Chrom.....
.....partnered with Lucina.

(I'm being serious; I've figured if Chrom was inherently "bland" with Marth and Ike already present, then him having a tag-team style with Lucina to represent the Pair Up feature would have been a good way to set him apart.)

Last edited by a moderator:

DeathFox137

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Tech137
I do wonder. Since an average character takes like 6-8 or so months to make, how would the ballot characters work? Would they be the last 2 just started when announced, or were they made during the development? Or will we get the rest of the DLC and then the ballot would add more slots? Not greedy. Just curious since the ballot to me was never explained other than the fact that anyone is fair game as long as they originate in a video game.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
The game was pretty much a perfect storm for me.

Steampunk.
Strategy.
Classic Literature, including Oz.
History.
Completely Eldritch enemies.
A sing-along theme tune that's actually in my vocal range ( :D )
And then Fire Emblem amiibo usage to top it all off.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
You know, while I despise the whole "another anime swordsman" thing, to be fair, Japan isn't exempt from similar things.

The major reason Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. bombed in Japan was the fact that they found it "too American" for their liking. So yeah, people all over the world can have terrible opinions. :p
And this is why Platinum is awesome.

They always have much more Western influences in their games and it looks great to both regions.

When Japan does America, it's awesome.

When America does Japan, it's bad. Why because emulating Japan makes you seem like a weeaboo and those are always bad.

I just love American History so I enjoyed Codename Steam. No matter how many liberties it took.

Which is weird because I hate Assassin's Creed 3 and it took liberties just as much as STEAM

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
I just love American History so I enjoyed Codename Steam. No matter how many liberties it took.

Which is weird because I hate Assassin's Creed 3 and it took liberties just as much as STEAM
Well, Assassin's Creed is supposed to be realistic.
Codename STEAM is supposed to be over the top awesome.

D

Deleted member

I'm surprised Doublade isn't a more requested character.

:troll:
Nah, it's all about Aegislash. Greninja needs his Smogon buddies Aegislash and Talonflame.

Last edited by a moderator:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
I think thats an urban legend .-.
I hear if you say We LIKE IKE, WE LIKE IKE, WE LIKE IKE!!!!! at midnight in front of a window in a dark room, then a magic portal will open up and these " Fire Emblem Amiibo" will magically appear before your eyes! And then you will realize they aren't actually there!
Scary huh?

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
I mean, Bubsy 3D on Steam could mean people will mod it and make it a better ga-

Oh who am I kidding, there's no salvaging that crap.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Well, Assassin's Creed is supposed to be realistic.
Codename STEAM is supposed to be over the top awesome.
Codename STEAM also let you play as some really well done characters.
AC3 forced you to play as Connor although Haytham is leagues better than him.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
I mean, Bubsy 3D on Steam could mean people will mod it and make it a better ga-

Oh who am I kidding, there's no salvaging that crap.
Modded Bubsy 3d would become a goldmine of lulz.

D

Deleted member

I used only one, and that was Talonflame.
In hindsight, probably not the best idea when my starter was Fennekin, but I carried it for using Fly.

I did get an Aegislash post-game though.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Ah, Soul Eater. I watched the anime and read the manga about 2 years ago.

The manga is better than the anime, in my opinion. It's a fun series nonetheless.

There's better, though.

Thing is, aside from the creations of Rare and Retro Studios, pretty much all Nintendo characters are Japanese.

The only requested characters for Smash that aren't Japanese are Dixie Kong and King K. Rool.

I do agree that the anime fanbases are mostly insufferable, though I say the same about the Smash fanbase... Well, pretty much every fanbase, as a matter of fact.

The ******** about anime-like swordsman is still stupid, nonetheless. You can't even blame Sakurai for that.

It is a fact that Japan uses sword-wielding characters (especially heroes/protagonists) in pretty much everything. Even modern settings will often feature swordsmen for whatever reason. You know, rule of cool. They just like that stuff. Nothing wrong with that, I'd say. It's probably a cultural thing.

I mean, of the anime characters I showed earlier, half of them use a katana as their main weapon. You know, the main weapon of a samurai. Again, it's likely a cultural thing. Japanese feudalism lasted until late 19th century when the USA re-introduced fire arms in the country, so this kind of stuff is probably more ingrained in their culture. (The first time fire arms were introduced in Japan was around the 15th~16th centuries by European explorers, specifically Portuguese, but were banished in the 17th century. Just a historical tidbit.)

Even mecha anime often feature giant robots using swords, so sword wielding characters in Smash isn't surprising at all.
Yeah, I can agree on that, all the anime I watch are pretty short as well. (I also watch SAO... I admit it's flawed though... extremely flawed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom