• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
This is the truest thing ever.

Last edited:

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Guys, I just remembered something.

What the hell ever happened to Project Guard and Project Giant Robot?

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

They still exist apparently.

They showed up in the investors meeting.

D

Deleted member

http://strawpoll.me/6017146

A straw poll about Fire Emblem Fates.
I care little whether or not they remove it
Everyone talks about Awakening's fan service but I was never annoyed by it
If Fates is basically the same, I have nothing to worry about but I'm not gonna notice if it's removed either
Now I have to thank you for presenting me this channel lol :p

Project Guard became a horror game and has 4 games already

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Wow this guy deserves best smart *** of the year award! He' honest and understands how you should feel about this reveal!

I wonder if they tie into Star fox. Wasn't there a rumor or something like that? Could explain all 3 being delayed. Perhaps they are completing redoing them? Project guard was good as a concept though, touch it up and it be a pretty solid eshop title. Hell they could combine it with Project guard and have you defend places against giant robots.

Ivander

Smash Legend

Yes. I don't care about the fanservice.
And really, by what I've been checking, a majority of the fanservice not only doesn't appear in the main story(not main game, main story), but a lot of it doesn't give much advantage over one who doesn't use it.
-Battling together is still more effective than the Amie thing and the hot spring(IIRC) doesn't give any bonuses.
-The weapons that do strip enemies only works when you have weapon triangle advantage over them and even then are much weaker than most other weapons, so no real use to using them other than giggles.
-And really, the only reason for you to strip someone down to their undergarments/swimsuit in the accessory shop is if you wanted to see them like that. And you could easily give them some other cooler things like headbands, shields, tiaras, etc.

The only real fanserivicy thing you can't really avoid is Sophie's Clumsy skill and that Camilla scene in the Hoshido story, but for Sophie, as I showed, her skill doesn't fully strip them so you could just have her finish off enemies to avoid stripping them all the way and I'm pretty sure you can skip the Camilla scene as much as you can other cutscenes.
Otherwise, by what I've checked, the majority of fanservice can be disregarded and doesn't provide much advantage over one who does do those things. Also, children aren't mandatory and can be skipped, allowing me to imagine that they came after the main story rather than during the main story.
And at the same time, there are a bunch of features I like. I really want to check out the new Weapon Triangle that adds Bows, Magic and Hidden weapons into the mix. The fact that changing a character class will not reduce you to level 1, making it more trickier to handle your stats and skills. The new Marriage and Friendship seals that allow a character to change into a class of another person they got an S or A+ rank support, also making units a lot less useless in general and allowing a person to optimize their army with characters of their choice a lot better. And also the new Avatar Logbook that now allows you to save non-Avatar characters and allows you to buy skills for a character rather than hire them, allowing you get your preferred skills for your preferred characters easier.
So it's safe to say that there are alot more things that excite me rather than dissuade me.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542

I don't get why people who would otherwise buy a Fire Emblem game are skipping out on Fates, just because of the fan service.

From what I've seen, the undressing, hot tub, and the face rubbing is entirely optional, and you could go through the entire game with using any of those feature. If you enjoy the core gameplay of the game, but not the fan service, why wouldn't you just buy the game and play it while avoiding that extra stuff.

Of course, there's probably some people who think they are proving something, and that their single sale matters to Nintendo and Intelligent Systems, and not buying the game will show them that the fan service is wrong and shouldn't be in future Fire Emblem games.

As for me, I'm a horny teenage boy so I'll enjoy the hell out of the fan service, on top of the great and strategic gameplay of course.

D

Deleted member

Just finished recording SourceCast #4! We'll be working on fixing up the audio and releasing it to you guys ASAP. It's the best one yet! (I know we always say that, but I feel that we are getting better with it).

Also new SG Choice...New Stages we want from existing franchises.

Which one do you want?
Despite being another Mario stage, a legitimate Bowser's Castle stage.
Not a horribly designed temporary one on the Paper Mario stage.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542

Huh. I just remembered that on all of Nintendo's release calendars, both were listed as a vague "2015", and then in July a document came out that had Project Guard's release still listed as "2015", but Project Giant Robot's release as "TBD".

Weird.

I guess if they showed up at the investors meeting, we'll find out relatively soon, but it would see odd to release titles made specifically to demonstrate the GamePad's capabilities within a year of the Wii U and the GamePad being replaced, assuming the NX does launch next year.
Maybe they'll just be ported over to the NX, since all signs point to a fusion console that would have a GamePad-like device.

D

Deleted member

And really, by what I've been checking, a majority of the fanservice not only doesn't appear in the main story(not main game, main story), but a lot of it doesn't give much advantage over one who doesn't use it.
-Battling together is still more effective than the Amie thing and the hot spring(IIRC) doesn't give any bonuses.
-The weapons that do strip enemies only works when you have weapon triangle advantage over them and even then are much weaker than most other weapons, so no real use to using them other than giggles.
-And really, the only reason for you to strip someone down to their undergarments/swimsuit in the accessory shop is if you wanted to see them like that. And you could easily give them some other cooler things like headbands, shields, tiaras, etc.

The only real fanserivicy thing you can't really avoid is Sophie's Clumsy skill and that Camilla scene in the Hoshido story, but for Sophie, as I showed, her skill doesn't fully strip them so you could just have her finish off enemies to avoid stripping them all the way and I'm pretty sure you can skip the Camilla scene as much as you can other cutscenes.
Otherwise, by what I've checked, the majority of fanservice can be disregarded and doesn't provide much advantage over one who does do those things. Also, children aren't mandatory and can be skipped, allowing me to imagine that they came after the main story rather than during the main story.
And at the same time, there are a bunch of features I like. I really want to check out the new Weapon Triangle that adds Bows, Magic and Hidden weapons into the mix. The fact that changing a character class will not reduce you to level 1, making it more trickier to handle your stats and skills. The new Marriage and Friendship seals that allow a character to change into a class of another person they got an S or A+ rank support, also making units a lot less useless in general and allowing a person to optimize their army with characters of their choice a lot better. And also the new Avatar Logbook that now allows you to save non-Avatar characters and allows you to buy skills for a character rather than hire them, allowing you get your preferred skills for your preferred characters easier.
So it's safe to say that there are alot more things that excite me rather than dissuade me.
May I just ask what do you have against Children characters? Even if you don't have anything against them, you at least imply so

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
While it's nice to have a balanced roster in the series of what series are represented(whether stage or character), quality is the most important, imo.

Agreed, oh so much.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
While it's nice to have a balanced roster in the series of what series are represented(whether stage or character), quality is the most important, imo.

Agreed, oh so much.
SS design was kinda bland tbh, even if the world 5 was kinda good, still quite bland.

Are we all forgetting one of the most epic Sakurai phrase's ?
The best quote from Sakurai ever for me is this one:

"It was tough for me to see that every time I made a new game, people automatically assumed that a sequel was coming. Even if it's a sequel, lots of people have to give their all to make a game, but some people think the sequel process happens naturally."
It's really something that I like because it is still true and this was said in like 2004.....

Ivander

Smash Legend
May I just ask what do you have against Children characters? Even if you don't have anything against them, you at least imply so
I don't. I really don't. I don't mind that:
the children end up going to a safehouse-like dimension where time is sped up, allowing them to be recruited during the main story. For me, this reminds me alot of Rydia and the Feymarch and how Rydia ends up becoming an adult during the story. But that being said, even if I don't mind it, I would've preferred that they would've come after the main story with the implication that their parents had their kid after the war ends.
And also by what I've heard, there's little After-game content after beating the main story, so call it a way to have some content to do after the main story.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Fates sound super fun to play honestly.

Let's hope the writing doesn't make things awkward.

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
You know? Once stage modding becomes a thing, I really hope someone manages to port Project M's Bowser's Castle to Smash Wii U. I absolutely love that Stage and it would look so gorgeous in HD.

Soul.

I'm still not really open on NX being a hybrid.

I mean if I just want to play on the handheld I'll have to buy the console too.

They need to make them separate, while having the same things like architecture. I see no need to fuse console and handheld together. The architecture plan could easily make people play console games on the handheld and vice versa.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I'm still not really open on NX being a hybrid.

I mean if I just want to play on the handheld I'll have to buy the console too.

They need to make them separate, while having the same things like architecture. I see no need to fuse console and handheld together. The architecture plan could easily make people play console games on the handheld and vice versa.
But if they have the same architecture.

And they have the same games...

There's no point in buying one over the other. One is going to be a waste of money.

Soul that would canabalize sales.

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
http://strawpoll.me/6017772

Here's a new Straw Poll. No Swamp jokes included.
Why the only option where I'm allowed to hate his inclusion I have to be childish ?
Maybe something like:
"I hated his inclusion and I don't think he should be in the game at all"
I voted the last anyway, because it started right...judge me.
(I will buy him because it is more one character and because is important to play against and as him a bit if you tries to be a competitive player. But...as another FF main character would say : "Whatever"...)

Soul.

But if they have the same architecture.

And they have the same games...

There's no point in buying one over the other. One is going to be a waste of money.

Soul that would canabalize sales.
I dunno Swamp the handheld market is still alive, maybe I just meant to say they'd share a few games here and there. Like Smash and maybe Mario Kart.

I'd figure they would still have exclusive titles, like Pokémon on the handheld and Splatoon on the console.

D

Deleted member

Why the only option where I'm allowed to hate his inclusion I have to be childish ?
Maybe something like:
(I will buy him because it is more one character and because is important to play against and as him a bit if you tries to be a competitive player. But...as another FF main character would say : "Whatever"...)
I'll keep that in mind next time.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860

I'm thinking about getting Nohr as while I don't like the fanservice, the gameplay does sound good. Hoshido I have no interest in as the gameplay doesn't offer that much to me and Revelations I have a lot of reservations about based on what I've heard on it.

I don't. I really don't. I don't mind that:
the children end up going to a safehouse-like dimension where time is sped up, allowing them to be recruited during the main story. For me, this reminds me alot of Rydia and the Feymarch and how Rydia ends up becoming an adult during the story. But that being said, even if I don't mind it, I would've preferred that they would've come after the main story with the implication that their parents had their kid after the war ends.
And also by what I've heard, there's little After-game content after beating the main story, so call it a way to have some content to do after the main story.
I wouldn't say that's exactly the same since
Rydia wasn't willingly dumped there by Cecil, and the cast had no idea she was alive so it wasn't like they could visit her and thus she had no reason to feel abandoned/resentful. Also, the summons are shown to have more of a relationship with Rydia, so she had some sort of companionship there.

The kids are left in their dimension to be taken care of by someone they never show any attachment to (much less, are named) while the parents visit sparingly at best, and it's pretty clear most of them are bothered by it emotionally. What makes the situation even worse is that even siblings get separated in the process, so they're deprived of even that sort of companionship.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I'm buying Fates, definitely. If I can get my hands on a special edition pre-order, even better.

I do think, and somewhat hope, that certain things get toned down a bit through localization, though. Personal preference, really.

I'm still hyped for the game, especially that one DLC map. If you've seen it you know the one. It's basically the only thing I've allowed myself to look up about the game. :p

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I dunno Swamp the handheld market is still alive, maybe I just meant to say they'd share a few games here and there. Like Smash and maybe Mario Kart.

I'd figure they would still have exclusive titles, like Pokémon on the handheld and Splatoon on the console.
I'm not talking about handheld vs console.

I'm saying that if they are separate entities but they have the same hardware, there's literally no point for one to exist.

The handheld isn't going to be magically less expensive if the same hardware is involved. It'll be about the same.

Even still, if its the same hardware, there's no point in having exclusive games. Same hardware? Why can't I play Splatoon on the go if the console will allow it? Why can't I play Pokmon on my TV if the console can?

It's just a really dumb move.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

The market for dedicated handheld gaming consoles is dying, it's only a matter of time. Plus Nintendo barely had the resources this time around to provide enough content for two platforms, especially with them branching into mobile it only makes sense they'd synthesize their existing ventures into an amalgam that will act both a means for the company to offer a distinct product from those already populating the market as well as chance to consolidate development to a unified platform they'd actually be able to support with more frequent offerings, should the third-party aspect continue to underwhelm.

I thought his catchphrase was [laughs]?
Sakurai hasn't laughed in years. ;P

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Honestly, I have no problem with children characters but I have to admit the excuse they gave to have them in Fates is pretty stupid
At least Awakening's children made sense plot wise
And I would take unique characters like in past games rather than the children tbh
I'm buying Fates, definitely. If I can get my hands on a special edition pre-order, even better.

I do think, and somewhat hope, that certain things get toned down a bit through localization, though. Personal preference, really.

I'm still hyped for the game, especially that one DLC map. If you've seen it you know the one. It's basically the only thing I've allowed myself to look up about the game. :p
Is it the one they say is going to ve free on release? And which one is it? Please, spoil me on that

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Maybe something like:
...That still sounds rather childish if I'm being honest though.
This. I wouldn't like oversaturation of Mario content but this stage NEEDS TO EXIST.
It has so much potential, and it's a key area of every Mario game. And now we have Bowser and Bowser Jr., and neither of them have a home stage.
Also for this:
Because Bowser has the best music in the games and we need more of that too.

Dravidian

Smash Lord
NNID
NeoDeoN
Honestly, if the story and gameplay is good I couldn't give less of a **** about fanservice.
Before I started reading a manga called Seikon no Qwaser, I'd agree completely that fanservice wouldnt mar a good story....I was oh, so wrong.

Certain level of fanservice I can deal with. I just needs to be done properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom