• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
All those fanservice make me really pay attention as to how i will make look fanservice good in my 3 fiction. But really, fanservice should only happen after like a serious moment or when everything is nomral during the story. Not just out of nowhere.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
So I was browsing the web for a bit when I ran into this...

Seems like Cloud had his release date leaked.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I fail to see how fanservice breaks the immersion in a game but spiky haired protagonists wielding impossibly large swords and casting magic spells doesn't. It's a fictional land where impossible things are possible, but a little bit of skin is still wrong.

Xenoblade is still my favorite RPG and I was really feeling it regardless of what armour the characters were wearing.
It's all about context.

For example, take Kill la Kill, which is notorious for the fanservice. I didn't mind it at all.

Kill la Kill is meant to be silly and over-the-top. So, even if foes are stripped naked by Ryuko's Scissor Blade, it doesn't matter because the whole series is played up for silliness. It works in the context of the story and how the series is presented.

Now, back to Fire Emblem, every time the series brings the themes of war, the story becomes serious and the characters act like how they're meant to act in such a setting: discussing tactics, finding out the enemy's motivations and so on.

Even some enemy bosses are sometimes sympathetic, touching on themes such as loyalty and duty. Likewise, characters you may recruit from the enemy will be branded as traitors by the opposing faction.

When in the middle of such a scenario, you have a character that, as soon as she strikes down an enemy soldier, said enemy is stripped naked out of nowhere, funny as it may be, trivializes the story's themes.

This same element, striking down an enemy and stripping him/her naked, has a definitely different impact depending on the context. In Kill la Kill, it's acceptable and funny because used in an over-the-top, absurd scenario, in Fire Emblem, it breaks immersion because it's used during serious moments. It's all about context.

Sure, you say it's fiction, but there's different types of fiction: there are comedies, there are dramas, there are horror stories and so on. Sure, it's possible to mix multiple genres and some stories are great because of that. But it has to be well done. It's all about quality of writing and handling tropes well.

Fire Emblem has always taken its warfare themes seriously, in spite of more humorous character interactions, which was handled carefully depending on the scenes. To see the series being degraded like this is a letdown.

Mr.X98

Smash Journeyman
So I was browsing the web for a bit when I ran into this...

Seems like Cloud had his release date leaked.
December Smash direct on same day as well possibly?
Good find mate, kudos on your quick observance.

Also hi everybody, how's everyone handling the smash news? I told you I would come back if something spooktacular happened.

PS: from one to ten on the spook-o-meter, how ready are you for the smash direct on December?

Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
I must admit it is kind of funny, but it's stupid nonetheless given the context.

It's a game supposed to be about war and the story is supposed to be taken seriously given those themes.

Of course, there are humorous moments as well, especially for support conversations. That has been a part of the series.

However, a character striking down an enemy soldier, in the middle of the battlefield where anyone can die, and said enemy is stripped almost naked... Well, it's stupid and trivializes the seriousness of the story and its themes of warfare (AKA the core of the FE series since its inception).

And all of it for what? To pander to an audience that doesn't care about the story in the first place?

This is why otakus are ruining anime/manga/Japanese video games. They don't care about the characters and story for what they're meant to represent. The creators can just shove this kind of gratuitous crap to have an audience, though they end up alienating people that want the serious story the game is supposed to have.
And the worst is when people said that Awakening cause this when it was still rooted closer to the older games before Fates.

Fates is just stupid from story, characters and everything that isn't the gameplay which fortunately is the best since PoR/RD.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
Honestly the way Sakurai is, I would be surprised. I think on some level everyone misses the Ice Climbers and people have been trying to rationalize their return since we knew they were cut.
I sort of forgot Ice Climbers were a thing, but I respect all 5 Ice Climber mains for wanting them back :troll:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
reminder that web pages makes you downlaod the source code and CSS which allows you to quickly edit them.

This if fake could be a matter of 5 minutes.....

I don;t believe it.
There are ways to check these things I believe, and S Strofirko said that he saw this too.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
When in the middle of such a scenario, you have a character that, as soon as she strikes down an enemy soldier, said enemy is stripped naked out of nowhere, funny as it may be, trivializes the story's themes.

This same element, striking down an enemy and stripping him/her naked, has a definitely different impact depending on the context. In Kill la Kill, it's acceptable and funny because used in an over-the-top, absurd scenario, in Fire Emblem, it breaks immersion because it's used during serious moments. It's all about context.

Sure, you say it's fiction, but there's different types of fiction: there are comedies, there are dramas, there are horror stories and so on. Sure, it's possible to mix multiple genres and some stories are great because of that. But it has to be well done. It's all about quality of writing and handling tropes well.
Stripping an enemy down to demoralize and weaken them in the midst of battle isn't a solid tactic? It may seem silly, but stranger things have happened in real life, so it's not out of place at all. I know it's a serious game, but that doesn't mean everything has to be "super cereal" all the time like Owe the Edge, comedy is just as much a part of life as drama, and a truly great story will have elements of both. For example, MGS is an incredibly serious series of games with high emphasis on story with many dark themes, but it's not afraid to have you sneak out in a cardboard box and have it actually work in the middle of a sneaking mission.

At the end of the day, it's a video game meant to be played and have fun with, not a novel to read or a movie to watch.

Dravidian

Smash Lord
NNID
NeoDeoN
The problem with discussing fanservice is that it not really black and white.

I can't just say fanservice is bad or good. Especially with the fact that it also is hard to determine what is fanservice and what is not. And even if it is, what if it isn't entirely just to be fanservice?

I mean for example, the boob slider from X. Yes. It can be used for perverts. But it could also be used for people who wanted to accurately represent their body or the character's body they were trying to create.

And what about characters with a lusty personality? There are girls that exist like that in real life. If it can fit well with personalities and story why can't it be fine?

And of course there is optional stuff like clothes you don't have to put on.

As for pure fanservice...eh. I like a good laugh if it goes too over the top.
I agree that it's not completely black and white, but the grey area really isnt that big. More often than not it fall into black or white.

To me it's just a question of how bad it is and whether or not it fits. Look at you example of lusty females. Extreme lust in any sex is usually considered a social and often a mental issue (there are people with sexual addictions) with deep roots, so making light of those extreme cases can be very out of place; though taking that personality in a serious context is fine. BUT there are also people who are just a little lewd/horny, but not to the point where it's an issue. It's fine to make fun of that imo.

I mean in general, people know how far things should be taken, but they simply ignore it for the sake of.....whatever.

I fail to see how fanservice breaks the immersion in a game but spiky haired protagonists wielding impossibly large swords and casting magic spells doesn't. It's a fictional land where impossible things are possible, but a little bit of skin is still wrong.

Xenoblade is still my favorite RPG and I was really feeling it regardless of what armour the characters were wearing.
That makes no sense to me.
Spiky hair is simply an style, plus it's a relatively popular real life hairstyle.
Weapons and magic are generally integrated and established as part of the world very early in. They're used as weapons in war so they they also have a root in realism concerning their usage.

You're comparing those things to a persons' clothes randomly ripping apart in the middle of a battle field or a serious conversation for no reason other than titillation.

I mean being used to that is one thing, but not understanding how it can break immersion is another. I mean really: "I'ma let you finish having a serious moment, but I gotta let you know them tittays are ridiculous!" -_-

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I do not like the logic of saying Yo-kai Watch's gameplay is so simple. Couldn't the same be said from a PKMN newcomer's perspective as one could easily say that the four moveset is too basic and simplistic. When people look beyond that, there is stats like speed, accuracy, Pokemon types, and many others that make the PKMN games pretty complex and deep. The problem is that people are not bothering to check out the mechanics in-depth.

Yo-kai Watch has those deep mechanics too, there's speed, defense, spirit, different tribes that affect behavior of Yo-kai, attack, rotating strategies between Yo-kai, Soultimates that have different functions that affect the other player's strategy, targeting Yo-kai, purifying Yo-kai when needed, inspiriting Yo-kai that have certain status effects on Yo-kai, aggro, loafing, and much more that needs to be thought about when battling. I would argue it is as nearly complex as Xenoblade Chronicle's auto battle system and people aren't exploring those mechanics enough to really judge its competitive potential.

People may not notice it, but saying its simplistic without looking in-depth trying too hard to show that YW can't be competitive, when it does have the potential to be. People should give the YW battle system a second look. This time, they should really see how YW's mechanics work, try the local multiplayer and judge from there. It might not click at first, but people will really understand how deep Yo-kai Watch's gameplay goes.

Just a gripe I had today, because it has been really bothering me and it gave me a realization.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Who would fall for a website leak in 2015
Thing is these are easy to check if they're fake, all you need to do is see when the site was last modified, and if it was modified last night, it's real, if it was modified on the 12th, it's fake.

Last edited:

Dravidian

Smash Lord
NNID
NeoDeoN
Stripping an enemy down to demoralize and weaken them in the midst of battle isn't a solid tactic? It may seem silly, but stranger things have happened in real life, so it's not out of place at all. I know it's a serious game, but that doesn't mean everything has to be "super cereal" all the time like Owe the Edge, comedy is just as much a part of life as drama, and a truly great story will have elements of both. For example, MGS is an incredibly serious series of games with high emphasis on story with many dark themes, but it's not afraid to have you sneak out in a cardboard box and have it actually work in the middle of a sneaking mission.

At the end of the day, it's a video game meant to be played and have fun with, not a novel to read or a movie to watch.
Like he said context matters. Silly things can happen but there are times to use it and times to refrain.

And yes, stripping an enemy you're trying to kill instead of just killing them with your freaking sword is a bad tactic. The only times stripping is used in war are:
  • using their partially removed clothes to hamper movement and
  • demoralizing already captured foes.
There are other war tactics that result in clothes being removed or destroyed (fire, acid, flooding, ****), but it's just a side effect and not the reasoning.

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
Anxious for Cloud to get released.

I've wanted to get into Smash 4 competitively but I just didn't feel the game had what Melee has. It still doesn't, but the comp. scene is appealing in it's own way. I like the swordsmen so I'm anxious to try out Cloud to see if his play style suits how I play Sm4sh.

Hoping he's fast, has some good combos, but hits hard at the same time. I always enjoyed big ass sword characters.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
That makes no sense to me.
Spiky hair is simply an style, plus it's a relatively popular real life hairstyle.
Weapons and magic are generally integrated and established as part of the world very early in. They're used as weapons in war so they they also have a root in realism concerning their usage.

You're comparing those things to a persons' clothes randomly ripping apart in the middle of a battle field or a serious conversation for no reason other than titillation.

I mean being used to that is one thing, but not understanding how it can break immersion is another. I mean really: "I'ma let you finish having a serious moment, but I gotta let you know them tittays are ridiculous!" -_-
I'm comparing it to fanservice in general. If something impossible doesn't break immersion, how does a bit of fanservice?

Really, I'm just annoyed at people saying it's nothing but otaku pandering.

Besides, how is clothes ripping off when struck by a sword less realistic than the sword passing through like the Monado on a homs? Real clothes rip, even some armour can be broken, yet that's immersion breaking in comparison to indestructible clothes.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Stripping an enemy down to demoralize and weaken them in the midst of battle isn't a solid tactic?
Yes, but the way it's presented in FE Fates definitely doesn't give off that vibe. Seems just stripping naked for the sake of doing so.

If it were a scene where the character was captured, taken as a war prisoner and then stripped naked for humiliation and torture, that would be something that could work in the context of FE.

If FE had a more silly premise, I'd be willing to accept it. Again, Kill la Kill does the same, but I didn't mind it because it's part of the show's premise.

It may seem silly, but stranger things have happened in real life, so it's not out of place at all. I know it's a serious game, but that doesn't mean everything has to be "super cereal" all the time like Owe the Edge, comedy is just as much a part of life as drama, and a truly great story will have elements of both. For example, MGS is an incredibly serious series of games with high emphasis on story with many dark themes, but it's not afraid to have you sneak out in a cardboard box and have it actually work in the middle of a sneaking mission.
That was my point: it works when the elements are mixed and written well.

I've watched many anime that mix serious and silly moments in a way that doesn't break immersion, likewise for games.

Again, the whole stripping the foe naked thing in FE doesn't work because of its specific context. In the middle of the battlefield, in a game that emphasizes themes of war and strategy, having a character that suddenly strips the foe naked out of nowhere every time she strikes them down is stupid and doesn't work.

That is what breaks immersion. It's not the concept itself: it's the way it's handled.

Well, can't deny with that, but having games with more serious plots isn't a bad thing.

Watching a serious and deep plot can be just as fun and entertaining as watching something sillier.

Last edited:

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Just finished recording SourceCast #4! We'll be working on fixing up the audio and releasing it to you guys ASAP. It's the best one yet! (I know we always say that, but I feel that we are getting better with it).

Also new SG Choice...New Stages we want from existing franchises.

Which one do you want?

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Just finished recording SourceCast #4! We'll be working on fixing up the audio and releasing it to you guys ASAP. It's the best one yet! (I know we say that, but I feel that we are getting better with it).

Which one do you want?
The only stage I would really want is a Paper Mario stage, preferable the Theather on WiiU :)

Bananija

Count of Trickery
Just finished recording SourceCast #4! We'll be working on fixing up the audio and releasing it to you guys ASAP. It's the best one yet! (I know we say that, but I feel that we are getting better with it).

Which one do you want?
Great list of stages, it's full of diversity and each stages is wanted for a good reason. My personnal favorites in this list are "the genie in Syrup Castle" and "Hornet Hole". As for my own choice, I would probably pick the same than you, because we need more Wario Land.

Last edited:

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master
There was a problem fetching the tweet
That's it, Pixar confirmed best movie studio yet again
Disney/Lucasfilm/JJ Abrams did basically the same thing with The Force Awakens recently, and then Daniel Fleetwood (the guy who was dying of cancer) died a few days later. JJ even called him multiple times to check in on him.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
I'd love to contribute to one of these. Sad there's no Metroid selections(either Oubliette or Phaaze would be awesome), but hey, different peeps, different preferences.
We've been talking about opening up the SG Choice posts for more input from our readers. If you leave a comment on SG, we can include a selection of the best ideas in the next SG Choice (which will be in 1-2 weeks). The next one is already pretty controversial among the staff, so we might bump it up sooner and even spawn a few articles from it.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Just finished recording SourceCast #4! We'll be working on fixing up the audio and releasing it to you guys ASAP. It's the best one yet! (I know we always say that, but I feel that we are getting better with it).

Which one do you want?
I would really like a new stage based off SPM or just one based of the previous PM. (No SS please.:4mario:)
For SPM: Count Bleck Castle.
For TTYD: Glitz Pit Arena
For PM64: Bowser Castle
Oh and a level from MMX would be cool too.
(Uh...Maybe i have take the message in the wrong way. Do i?)

Last edited:

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
I do not like the logic of saying Yo-kai Watch's gameplay is so simple. Couldn't the same be said from a PKMN newcomer's perspective as one could easily say that the four moveset is too basic and simplistic. When people look beyond that, there is stats like speed, accuracy, Pokemon types, and many others that make the PKMN games pretty complex and deep. The problem is that people are not bothering to check out the mechanics in-depth.

Yo-kai Watch has those deep mechanics too, there's speed, defense, spirit, different tribes that affect behavior of Yo-kai, attack, rotating strategies between Yo-kai, Soultimates that have different functions that affect the other player's strategy, targeting Yo-kai, purifying Yo-kai when needed, inspiriting Yo-kai that have certain status effects on Yo-kai, aggro, loafing, and much more that needs to be thought about when battling. I would argue it is as nearly complex as Xenoblade Chronicle's auto battle system and people aren't exploring those mechanics enough to really judge its competitive potential.

People may not notice it, but saying its simplistic without looking in-depth trying too hard to show that YW can't be competitive, when it does have the potential to be. People should give the YW battle system a second look. This time, they should really see how YW's mechanics work, try the local multiplayer and judge from there. It might not click at first, but people will really understand how deep Yo-kai Watch's gameplay goes.

Just a gripe I had today, because it has been really bothering me and it gave me a realization.
It's not simple, it just lacks a random online feature or alternative battle modes to convince me that a metagame is ready to fully develop.

I'm not saying it doesn't have meta potential, it definitely does. I just think the series needs to embrace multiplayer a little more before we go all in with it.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Okay, I've got the date for when it was last modified.

Modified: Thu 12 Nov 2015 22:48:05 GMT

There ya go, fake.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
Not at all. Which episode are you on?
Depends on what you are asking.

I'm on episode 10 on the dub version but I finished episode 2 for the sub version an hour ago.
To me it's just a question of how bad it is and whether or not it fits. Look at you example of lusty females. Extreme lust in any sex is usually considered a social and often a mental issue (there are people with sexual addictions) with deep roots, so making light of those extreme cases can be very out of place; though taking that personality in a serious context is fine. BUT there are also people who are just a little lewd/horny, but not to the point where it's an issue. It's fine to make fun of that imo.

I mean in general, people know how far things should be taken, but they simply ignore it for the sake of.....whatever.
I can't deny these sorts of things can be addicting. That is of course irrelevant. First, anything can be addicting, and things that are addicting can have certain people able to control themselves somewhat. Second, If people actually cared about "addicting things" there would be an angry mob every time a smoker or drunk showed up on screen. What you are implying is that there needs to be some sort of therapy session every time someone who is just somewhat lustful shows up. Now, maybe they could go into a reason why they act that way? Sure. But it doesn't need to be too much of a center of focus. You don't constantly ask your friends why they act the way they do do you?

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Okay, I've got the date for when it was last modified.

Modified: Thu 12 Nov 2015 22:48:05 GMT

There ya go, fake.
No offense but it was fake regardless. The pic was poorly made, and the website is never going to being a faulty pipe. They know not to make that mistake. Plus I don't think the presentation will be that close.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
No offense but it was fake regardless. The pic was poorly made, and the website is never going to being a faulty pipe. They know not to make that mistake. Plus I don't think the presentation will be that close.
None taken, I only brought it up because there was a way for it to be disproved or proved.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
It's not simple, it just lacks a random online feature or alternative battle modes to convince me that a metagame is ready to fully develop.

I'm not saying it doesn't have meta potential, it definitely does. I just think the series needs to embrace multiplayer a little more before we go all in with it.
I'm aware, the YW sequel has online battles too, but it would be great to hear thoughts from competitive players early with Yo-kai Watch, as there is local multiplayer available. I talked to a SSB player like James Rolig on Twitter to see if he could try the local multiplayer and try to play it competitively.

Depends on what you are asking.

I'm on episode 10 on the dub version but I finished episode 2 for the sub version an hour ago.
Well, it didn't bother me as much when I first watched the sub, I thought it was the part of the original Japanese script as a way of introducing Yo-kai.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
So I was just watching DYK on Twilight Princess, and they brought up how the the development team experimented with putting miis in the over world for fun. What if they do this again for fun with Twilight Princess HD? They could have miis walk around with miiverse posts and tips in the overworld. It might be weird, but I think it be kind of fun and nice to have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom