• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
Man i just thought it.If Cloud caused a lot of salt in the fanbase.Imagine whats gonna happen when we get the ballot characters and its not who were expecting.Man that's gonna be a fun ride

Oasis Dealer

"Woah!"
NNID
DarkCloud2469
3DS FC
4639-9066-5866
Cloud's inclusion is kinda starting to change my stance on Snake.

Previously, I both expected he wouldn't return and pretty much didn't want him to. I thought he just didn't fit in with what I saw as the dream 3rd party line-up: Sonic, Mega Man and Pac-Man. Both in appearance and significance to Nintendo, you gotta admit Snake stands out a lot from those three. But now with Ryu and especially Cloud, he doesn't seem that out of place. I mean, he still has the whole realistic modern weapons thing and all, but the significance to Nintendo thing isn't a consistent factor among the third parties anymore, and we have two other human 3rd parties.

My stance on his likeliness hasn't changed much, however. I still think that his exclusion from the initial roster and DLC up to this point indicates that there's either some issues preventing him from being in the game or that Sakurai doesn't want him back for whatever reason (like maybe "Konami").
It's always been a thought for me that negotiations falling under is what made me think as to why Snake got cut. I even think it had to do with multiple factors within Smash and even MGS itself (Change of voice actors for Snake, codecs would require new lines and voice actor for Colonel, and Konami possibly wanting MGS4 Solid Snake, thus needing a new model entirely for Snake). This is even assuming Sakurai went to Konami in the first place, which we don't even know. Sakurai could have just wanted to include brand new 3rd parties and Snake was to be cut in the first place. Hopefully he can explain his absence if he doesn't get in.

Last edited:

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
Honestly I'd love this. People can cry foul all they want, but a solo Popo would be more accurate to the source material honestly.
I mean sure. But it takes away what made them unique. I'm not sure whats the point of bring back a gimped veteran when we could have a veteran that isn't gimped or a newcomer.

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
Balloon Fighter, NintenDogs and Windows Logo confirmed
You know what I mean though.

The fact that just Popo would be a costume is what I'm drawing attention to. You can't honestly think that Popo being "relevant" puts him on the same level as a Windows logo.

The way Sakurai is, I just wouldn't be surprised.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
So I played Melee at my Aunt's house recently
I was playing Adventure mode as :gawmelee: for ****s and giggles on Normal
I get a Game Over, I use a Continue and try again
Beat Bowser
Suddenly, extra cutscene.

*Bowser floats back up*
"WHAT"
*lands back on the stage*
"I USED A CONTINUE, YOU SHOULD BE GONE"
*lightning strike*
"OOHHHH NONONONONONO"
*Giga Bowser*
"PROTECT ME JUDGEMENT"
*I 9 Giga B right off the bat and he dies instantly*
"...oh"
"well"
"that happened"

Khoru

Smash Champion
Topic involving Binding of Issac Afterbirth?

I'm glad the hidden character ended up being the Keeper instead of that weird old dude dataminers found.

I'm waiting for Fanart to use the keeper as an avi. I want the Afterbirth dlc so bad but no steam money.
:c
but i wanted that guy

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I mean sure. But it takes away what made them unique. I'm not sure whats the point of bring back a gimped veteran when we could have a veteran that isn't gimped or a newcomer.
Just increase his power to levels similar to the duo. Not too big of a deal, I'd think. Alter the recovery (Condor summon, maybe). Bam. The only thing truly gone would be desynching and chain grabs, and I'm not entirely sure people would be upset to have those gone.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
You know what I mean though.

The fact that just Popo would be a costume is what I'm drawing attention to. You can't honestly think that Popo being "relevant" puts him on the same level as a Windows logo.

The way Sakurai is, I just wouldn't be surprised.
Honestly the way Sakurai is, I would be surprised. I think on some level everyone misses the Ice Climbers and people have been trying to rationalize their return since we knew they were cut.

The thing is, how many characters get an overhaul from game to game? Sure, maybe a move or two is changed, but without exception, a character's role within Smash has never deviated from game to game. The sad truth is, if the Ice Climbers could be in, they'd be in by now.

I am confident that at least one of the revealed characters will live up to, or surpass Cloud's level of hype. But as the for the second thing, I could see it going either way. Even if the 3 slots are all we're getting, it's possible that we'll get 2 in December, and 1 in 2016 (considering there were two placeholder slots added in April, and one in September?)

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Honestly the way Sakurai is, I would be surprised. I think on some level everyone misses the Ice Climbers and people have been trying to rationalize their return since we knew they were cut.

The thing is, how many characters get an overhaul from game to game? Sure, maybe a move or two is changed, but without exception, a character's role within Smash has never deviated from game to game. The sad truth is, if the Ice Climbers could be in, they'd be in by now.

I am confident that at least one of the revealed characters will live up to, or surpass Cloud's level of hype. But as the for the second thing, I could see it going either way. Even if the 3 slots are all we're getting, it's possible that we'll get 2 in December, and 1 in 2016 (considering there were two placeholder slots added in April, and one in September?)
Pretty much this, too.

Like, even if I'm open to having them back in any way possible, I know that Sakurai, likely, is not as open to change.

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
Letting all you N-Zoners know, @PushDustIn and I have a bet going on.

I say there will be other Sqaure-Enix content added to the game (likely Mii costumes).

He says Cloud, Midgar, and the Chocobo costumes are it.

Winner gets a month of avatar control over the loser.

IT'S ON.
@Spazzy_D: I WANT A PIECE OF DAT BET. #TeamSpazzy_D

Last edited:

Chrono.

The Triforce Heroes Mario Costume shows that they are open to more than one character being represented in a costume. In that case, why would a planned Popo Costume not include Nana?
Because it's meant to be Ice Climber Popo (like the actual sprite from the game), as opposed to the Smash Ice Climbers.

Just like all the other retro costumes in Mario Maker (the scrapped Balloon Fighter, the Mario Bros. enemies, Foreman Spike, Jumpman, etc).

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
http://strawpoll.me/6010882

A poll about fanservice.

It's late though. I may post it later so that more people see.
What's the difference between "I don't like it" and "Give our characters some clothes?"

I've already mentioned my stance on this - it's distracting and unnecessary, and the biggest offense is it kills immersion.

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
I don't care for fanservice which is why I'm glad X and Xenoblade have so many different armor options.

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
I just noticed something. Smash 4 has just hit 2 huge milestones.

1.) Cloud is the first newcomer (not 3rd Party character as Sonic's also from the 90's and I messed that up the last time XD) to be from the 90's.

2.) Smash 4 has officially surpassed the amount of Newcomers of it's predecessor Super Smash Bros. Brawl.
SSBB:
imagedisplay2.png

SSB4:
imagedisplay.png

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Honestly I'd love this. People can cry foul all they want, but a solo Popo would be more accurate to the source material honestly.
You know what else would be more accurate to source material? Captain Falcon not being playable outside the Blue Falcon.

Sometimes things that are less accurate to source material in how characters function are better. Especially things that get them considered for Smash in the first place.

D

Deleted member

Solo Popo is a terrible idea and would already have happened if Sakurai thought it was a good idea

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
The problem with discussing fanservice is that it not really black and white.

I can't just say fanservice is bad or good. Especially with the fact that it also is hard to determine what is fanservice and what is not. And even if it is, what if it isn't entirely just to be fanservice?

I mean for example, the boob slider from X. Yes. It can be used for perverts. But it could also be used for people who wanted to accurately represent their body or the character's body they were trying to create.

And what about characters with a lusty personality? There are girls that exist like that in real life. If it can fit well with personalities and story why can't it be fine?

And of course there is optional stuff like clothes you don't have to put on.

As for pure fanservice...eh. I like a good laugh if it goes too over the top.

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Has anyone else noticed that every 3rd party character that has gotten into Smash has previously been in a fighter game?

Ryu: Street Fighter
Mega Man: Marvel vs. Capcom
Sonic: Sonic the Fighters
Cloud: Dissidia Final Fantasy
Pac-Man: Street Fighter X Tekken
Snake: DreamMix TV World Fighters

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
You know what else would be more accurate to source material? Captain Falcon not being playable outside the Blue Falcon.

Sometimes things that are less accurate to source material in how characters function are better. Especially things that get them considered for Smash in the first place.
I'm just speaking as a fan of the original Ice Climber game, is all. Preferences and such. Obviously Sakurai has a differing philosophy regarding them, but still.

Solo Popo is a terrible idea and would already have happened if Sakurai thought it was a good idea
The last part is common sense and goes without saying. As far as the first part, I disagree.

D

Deleted member

Besides, the whole concept of "solo Popo is more accurate to source" is hogwash anyway.

While it's true that one player literally only controlled Popo in Ice Climber, the Ice Climbers in Smash represent the concept of simultaneous co-op gameplay from Ice Climber, something that was rather rare in games.
Think about it. You're not really controlling both Climbers in Smash; you're controlling Popo, serving as P1 of Ice Climber, while a computer is controlling Nana to follow your actions, serving as P2 of Ice Climber.

So tell me again how solo Popo would be more accurate, Opo?

Chrono.

Let's kill this one fast shall we.

@vaanrose

Not sure who else to ask here, but can you do some magic and see if it was shopped (though I think its very obvious it was)
Thing is, they likely used inspect element to edit the website, it's super easy to do and yeah it could make anything look legit.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Besides, the whole concept of "solo Popo is more accurate to source" is hogwash anyway.

While it's true that one player literally only controlled Popo in Ice Climber, the Ice Climbers in Smash represent the concept of simultaneous co-op gameplay from Ice Climber, something that was rather rare in games.
Think about it. You're not really controlling both Climbers in Smash; you're controlling Popo, serving as P1 of Ice Climber, while a computer is controlling Nana to follow your actions, serving as P2 of Ice Climber.

So tell me again how solo Popo would be more accurate, Opo?
Mainly because it was competitive co-op. You're trying to beat the other climber up the mountain, not get there together.

No need for condescension, either...

D

Deleted member

Has anyone else noticed that every 3rd party character that has gotten into Smash has previously been in a fighter game?

Ryu: Street Fighter
Mega Man: Marvel vs. Capcom
Sonic: Sonic the Fighters
Cloud: Dissidia Final Fantasy
Pac-Man: Street Fighter X Tekken
Snake: DreamMix TV World Fighters
Assuming you intended on listing their first fighting game appearances, Cloud was in a PS1 game called Ehrgeiz: God Bless the Ring (yes, that is the full title) prior to Dissidia.

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Who wants to join my bunker when FE: Fates gets localization changes? I'm kinda scared because the internet will most def explode.

D

Deleted member

Mainly because it was competitive co-op. You're trying to beat the other climber up the mountain, not get there together.

No need for condescension, either...
The objective is to shoot the ducks for the dog to grab, not partner them up like a makeshift Banjo-Kazooie.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Assuming you intended on listing their first fighting game appearances, Cloud was in a PS1 game called Ehrgeiz: God Bless the Ring (yes, that is the full title) prior to Dissidia.
No one wants to remember Ehrgeiz. Same reason why no one ever knows a game called Tobal No1 exist and that it's art was done by Akira Toriyama.

Square-Enix can't into fighting games until Dissidia came out.

Soul.

Do you guys think that this will be the update that they add the custom movesets to DLC fighters?
I don't think they're going to get custom moves anytime soon lol. If previous updates are anything to go with, that is...

Unless we count the Mewtwo "custom move bug" thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom