• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
For the love of God, what do the rocks and bait do in the safari zone?! I have so much contradictory info going about. Do I throw rock, bait or straight to safari balls?
Safari Zone has often been a very annoying place to catch specific Pokemon, since the Pokemon can flee at any time, which is even more disturbing whenever you encounter a rare Pokemon.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I pity those who find shiny Pokémon in the Safari Zone.

Anyway, @Guybrush20X6:
- Throwing rocks improves the chances of catching, but makes the Pokémon likelier to flee.
- Throwing bait reduces the chances of catching, but makes the Pokémon less likely to flee.

At least, that's how I recall, so don't take my word for granted...

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Are we going to see Enchatress in Thor Ragnarok?

She's like Thor's greatest foe next to Loki. Also having a female as a major villain in a live action Marvel movie would be awesome seeing how that's never really happened before outside of some X-Men movies.
Cate Blanchett's playing Hela.

Red & Green

Just call me Red.
NNID
123Gallon
3DS FC
1332-8993-7355
Switch FC
1960-8956-3517
One could argue that TMS#FE is cringeworthy by itself... lol

I'll give credit where it's due: I've heard it's a good game in terms of gameplay and actually challenging. The fact they have Japanese audio in the Western release is a plus too, I suppose, especially after the FE Fates and Xenoblade X fiascos (the fact their prequels had dual audio options makes it complete nonsense and I played FEA and XC with English voices).

Anyway, this is the most literal form of a hype train I've ever seen in my life. Seriously, I'm in complete awe over this scene.

Oh, and spoilers for the 6th episode of Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress since these are the last 5 minutes of it.

The animation, the music, the intensity. Holy ****, I loved this so much I can't help but share. Naturally, someone already ripped the scene to post on YouTube. :chuckle:
Ok, honestly... I'm pretty impressed. Makes me want to take another shot at anime, sometime.

Anyway, the AB movie came out in America, today. Dunno if you guys already talked about it already, but thoughts? I was gonna see it this weekend with a friend, but he had to do some things.

Last edited:

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
Ok, honestly... I'm pretty impressed. Makes me want to take another shot at anime, sometime.

Anyway, the AB movie came out in America, today. Dunno if you guys already talked about it already, but thoughts? I was gonna see it this weekend with a friend, but he had to do some things.
While I'm not in any rush to see it, it does look rather cute, and the trailers had me laughing at times. I'll probably watch it when it comes to RedBox.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Even the main villain is a male version of Gruntilda Winkybunion (I hope he has equally entertaining dialogue). This is the one Banjo Kazooie successor that we never wanted, but should be excited for.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Kabaneri is literally a zombie show with some feudal Japanese and steampunk flavors added on top.

It also has some original ideas too and the characters are IMO quite likable and not just boring flat archetypes. I also like the art style and character designs.

The whole premise overall isn't anything remotely innovative or deep, to be honest, but it's good for what it's meant to be. The animation is top notch (by Wit Studio), as is the music (by Hiroyuki Sawano). If you like zombie shows, you'll like this for the most part, because that's what it is.

Oh, and if Wit Studio and Hiroyuki Sawano are familiar names to you, it's because the former did the Star Fox Zero: The Battle Begins animated short (with Production I.G.), while the latter did the music for Xenoblade Chronicles X.

And this ends Frostwraith's occasional anime shill out for the NintenZone Socialites. :p

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
One could argue that TMS#FE is cringeworthy by itself... lol

I'll give credit where it's due: I've heard it's a good game in terms of gameplay and actually challenging. The fact they have Japanese audio in the Western release is a plus too, I suppose, especially after the FE Fates and Xenoblade X fiascos (the fact their prequels had dual audio options makes it complete nonsense and I played FEA and XC with English voices).

Anyway, this is the most literal form of a hype train I've ever seen in my life. Seriously, I'm in complete awe over this scene.

Oh, and spoilers for the 6th episode of Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress since these are the last 5 minutes of it.

The animation, the music, the intensity. Holy ****, I loved this so much I can't help but share. Naturally, someone already ripped the scene to post on YouTube. :chuckle:
I've largely avoided the series because of how everyone is comparing it to AoT. Does it stand on its own merits?

Kabaneri is literally a zombie show with some feudal Japanese and steampunk flavors added on top.

It also has some original ideas too and the characters are IMO quite likable and not just boring flat archetypes. I also like the art style and character designs.

The whole premise overall isn't anything remotely innovative or deep, to be honest, but it's good for what it's meant to be. The animation is top notch (by Wit Studio), as is the music (by Hiroyuki Sawano). If you like zombie shows, you'll like this for the most part, because that's what it is.

Oh, and if Wit Studio and Hiroyuki Sawano are familiar names to you, it's because the former did the Star Fox Zero: The Battle Begins animated short (with Production I.G.), while the latter did the music for Xenoblade Chronicles X.

And this ends Frostwraith's occasional anime shill out for the NintenZone Socialites. :p
Is this literally AoT?!? :laugh:

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I've largely avoided the series because of how everyone is comparing it to AoT. Does it stand on its own merits?

Is this literally AoT?!? :laugh:
It's AoT and it's not. It's AoT in the sense it falls on the post-apocalyptic genre, but otherwise it has different characters, setting and story.

And yes, it's the same production team for the most part. It's also directed by Tetsuro Araki, who also directed Death Note and AoT.

At this point, I think it's better than AoT. More fun action scenes, more likable characters and a more optimistic tone overall while not letting go of the lingering sense of danger from AoT that is always present in this kind of story.

Both are good, though. I enjoy post-apocalyptic stories overall and, well, Wit Studio certainly hasn't failed to deliver with Attack on Titan, Seraph of the End and now this. :grin:

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I finally got blessed by the RNG in the best possible way and I can move on.

...I HOPE the game isn't over-reliant on moments like that to progress or else I'm going to really not like this game.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo

Anyway, @Guybrush20X6:
- Throwing rocks improves the chances of catching, but makes the Pokémon likelier to flee.
- Throwing bait reduces the chances of catching, but makes the Pokémon less likely to flee.

You know I never get the whole formula behind Safari Zone.
I mean sure damage = bigger chance to catch, but one would think the bait would make the Pokemon more vulnerable rather than tossing rocks at it.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
So I've been recently been playing South Park: The Stick of Truth. Really fun game. The battle gameplay somewhat reminds me of Paper Mario. I'm loving that the voice acting and writing from the show is fully in tact.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307

Anyway, @Guybrush20X6:

I seem to recall that as well, and it kinda makes sense.

I usually just chuck balls, though. or if I'm playing Gen I, use a glitch to fight the Safari Zone pokemon on the Cinnabar coast

Props to Gen II for not having this stupid mechanic.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
For the love of God, what do the rocks and bait do in the safari zone?! I have so much contradictory info going about. Do I throw rock, bait or straight to safari balls?
You actually have a better chance with most pokemon by just throwing safari balls

Bananija

Count of Trickery
Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Rest in peace Alan.

You were a special kind of voice actor.

Red & Green

Just call me Red.
NNID
123Gallon
3DS FC
1332-8993-7355
Switch FC
1960-8956-3517

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Two things I want to say.
1: Trading Birthright in for Conquest, my friend forgot I had to specify my preorder and made a last minute Birthright change, so I need to trade it in om Sunday.
2: I can't believe the definitive voice of Uncle Scrooge passed away... Scrooge is VERY popular here in the Netherlands

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
So I've been meaning to ask something for a few days now and I keep forgetting. . .

Even if the NX isn't backwards compatible with games, is it possible for it to be backwards compatible with currently released Amiibo?

Like, let's say someone gets a Smash or Splatoon Amiibo now. If another game in those series released on the NX, could the save data function of the Amiibo still be coded for use, or would the Amiibo be out of date? And would the touch-and-unlock function be able to work even if the save data wasn't able to, or is that tied directly to the same sort of coding?

Red & Green

Just call me Red.
NNID
123Gallon
3DS FC
1332-8993-7355
Switch FC
1960-8956-3517

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
So I've been meaning to ask something for a few days now and I keep forgetting. . .

Even if the NX isn't backwards compatible with games, is it possible for it to be backwards compatible with currently released Amiibo?

Like, let's say someone gets a Smash or Splatoon Amiibo now. If another game in those series released on the NX, could the save data function of the Amiibo still be coded for use, or would the Amiibo be out of date? And would the touch-and-unlock function be able to work even if the save data wasn't able to, or is that tied directly to the same sort of coding?
Yes.

amiibo just uses bog standard NFC technology. It's very easy to implement onto any NFC device.

My Rosalina amiibo can open Skype on my phone. Sonic is set to open Sonic Runners, etc, etc. No, I'm not being hypothetical, I actually have them set to do that.

Red & Green

Just call me Red.
NNID
123Gallon
3DS FC
1332-8993-7355
Switch FC
1960-8956-3517
Yes.

amiibo just uses bog standard NFC technology. It's very easy to implement onto any NFC device.

My Rosalina amiibo can open Skype on my phone. Sonic is set to open Sonic Runners, etc, etc. No, I'm not being hypothetical, I actually have them set to do that.
Wait, really?! How do you do that?! That sounds pretty neat!

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Yes.

Alright, thanks for answering! Just wondering.

I tend to be horribly clueless when it comes to basic tech stuff, so I figured I may as well ask in order to be. . .slightly less clueless.

So I guess it's just a matter of if Nintendo wants to reuse the old Amiibo or not then. That's good. Hopefully the answer to that is "yes," as my ideal image of Amiibo is of them being kind of an "all-access pass" for the given character they're modeled after. Nothing too crucial, of course, just a little extra completely unnecessary bonus content like, say, alternate costumes in some games themed to the character you have the Amiibo of.

I figure Amiibo might be a good motivation to get cross-series content into games that wouldn't normally have it. That would be a good positive consequence of them continuing to be used, anyway.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Wait, really?! How do you do that?! That sounds pretty neat!

Like I said, amiibo just use bog standard NFC tags you can probably buy yourself, they just have their tag set up in a factory and games are programmed to do specific things when said tags are detected.

In the case of this video, what you're doing here is simply downloading an app that can tell your phone to do specific things when your phone's NFC reader detects specific NFC tags. Normally, with a fresh NFC tag, you would set it's identity yourself, but since the amiibo already have their tag IDs set up, you are simply giving them a task to run on your phone, which can be literally anything from immediately changing a setting down to a specific value, to opening an app, to opening a specific webpage.

Alright, thanks for answering! Just wondering.

I tend to be horribly clueless when it comes to basic tech stuff, so I figured I may as well ask in order to be. . .slightly less clueless.

So I guess it's just a matter of if Nintendo wants to reuse the old Amiibo or not then. That's good. Hopefully the answer to that is "yes," as my ideal image of Amiibo is of them being kind of an "all-access pass" for the given character they're modeled after. Nothing too crucial, of course, just a little extra completely unnecessary bonus content like, say, alternate costumes in some games themed to the character you have the Amiibo of.

I figure Amiibo might be a good motivation to get cross-series content into games that wouldn't normally have it. That would be a good positive consequence of them continuing to be used, anyway.
I forgot to answer this in my previous post, but in regards to "could a new Smash use data from Smash Wii U/3DS?", that depends.

If it's a port of Smash Wii U/3DS, I see no reason why it shouldn't, as there would not be any major changes to how characters or the game mechanics function.

If we're talking a new Smash game built from the ground up, then no, it wouldn't use the character data from Smash Wii U/3DS, because they are completely different games and would be programmed differently. It's likely they would still give the old amiibo functionality in the new Smash game though, even if the old data is not compatible.

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
So I am looking for articles for a current event in psych at he moment and saw this and laughed:
Screenshot (120).png

I'm disappointed.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
A while back people were talking about homemade pizza...

I just remembered I tried to make a Taco pizza once before I knew it was a thing.

I used ingredients I liked though instead of what people normally add. It was good.

---

大空のぶっとび
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904

Like I said, amiibo just use bog standard NFC tags you can probably buy yourself, they just have their tag set up in a factory and games are programmed to do specific things when said tags are detected.

In the case of this video, what you're doing here is simply downloading an app that can tell your phone to do specific things when your phone's NFC reader detects specific NFC tags. Normally, with a fresh NFC tag, you would set it's identity yourself, but since the amiibo already have their tag IDs set up, you are simply giving them a task to run on your phone, which can be literally anything from immediately changing a setting down to a specific value, to opening an app, to opening a specific webpage.

I forgot to answer this in my previous post, but in regards to "could a new Smash use data from Smash Wii U/3DS?", that depends.

If it's a port of Smash Wii U/3DS, I see no reason why it shouldn't, as there would not be any major changes to how characters or the game mechanics function.

If we're talking a new Smash game built from the ground up, then no, it wouldn't use the character data from Smash Wii U/3DS, because they are completely different games and would be programmed differently. It's likely they would still give the old amiibo functionality in the new Smash game though, even if the old data is not compatible.
Well I meant it more in the capacity of whether the overall save system on the Amiibo could be used in the future, which judging by your first response seems to be "yes." I wouldn't expect the old data to be usable in an entirely new game. I was just wondering if you could write over data from a future game onto the Amiibo at all, which seems to be the case from what you've told me.

Still, I do find the port thing interesting to think about now that it's been brought up. I wonder what would happen if a port added a character that already has Amiibo but wasn't in Smash before. . .I guess they'd be usable as well. It'd be interesting to see non-Smash Amiibo created before their Smash set equivalent rather than after be usable.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I just tried the new root beer pop tarts

They were pretty good.

I could afford 200 calories luckily if I calculated right

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom