• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
People severely underestimated how loaded nintendo really is.
I was waiting for someone to say that.

I am completely aware of Nintendo's war chest, but that doesn't change anything about my point.

Look at Disney Infinity. Disney is just as loaded as Nintendo, if not more so. Disney Infinity was STILL making a profit, yet they canned it, AND dropped out of game development and publishing. Why was that? Law of Diminishing Returns. Out of all of the things Disney was pouring a lot of money into, Disney Infinity and their video games were the LEAST successful, and it was doing worse and worse each installment. While they could have comfortably continued it for a bit more, they canned it because it obviously was not gonna last much longer anyway, and the risk of it being a loss was increasing.

Sound familiar? Because Nintendo's home console market performance is in the EXACT same situation, but worse. Nintendo has been pouring tons of resources into this, yet each time since the SNES, with the exception of the Wii, it's been getting worse and worse, and now their latest console has not only been a commercial flop, but has also had them report the first losses they've EVER reported in their entire life cycle as a company. That's not something they'll just blow off.

While Nintendo going into other markets can strengthen their video game brand, and obviously that's their main goal with it, that is only true if their next home console performs strongly to begin with. If it doesn't, then these other markets will serve another purpose - to replace their diminishing console brand.

Before anyone says "BUT GAMES ARE NINTENDO'S MAIN THING, THEY WOULD NEVER ABANDON IT", was it always that way? No. Their "main thing" has gone from playing cards, to love hotels, to toys, to video games. And why was that? Simple, they shifted focus according to what they thought would bring the most success. And they have only been doing video games for just over a quarter of their life span.

Nintendo, as a multimedia company, are doing perfectly fine. Nintendo, as a handheld console and video game software brand, are also doing fine. Nintendo as a home console manufacturing brand, are NOT doing fine. And if Nintendo as a movie brand, as a mobile software brand, as a toy manufacturing brand, and as a health care brand, ends up way out performing the home console brand, then it only makes business sense to pluck that weed and throw out in the trash.

It's got nothing to do with Nintendo being doomed as a company. It's just got to do with them losing steam as a home console manufacturer.

I mean, it's not just their sales that's been suffering, it's their image too. People always have something to complain about with Nintendo these days, and it's usually in relation to their home console hardware and even software, and rightly so, since they've been messing up a lot lately. They're losing their touch, and it's been evident for a while now.

I don't think the NX is doomed. But if it does poorly, at MOST, I see it taking ONE more flop after the NX for them to pull the cord.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."

I am completely aware of Nintendo's war chest, but that doesn't change anything about my point.

Look at Disney Infinity. Disney is just as loaded as Nintendo, if not more so. Disney Infinity was STILL making a profit, yet they canned it, AND dropped out of game development and publishing. Why was that? Law of Diminishing Returns. Out of all of the things Disney was pouring a lot of money into, Disney Infinity and their video games were the LEAST successful, and it was doing worse and worse each installment. While they could have comfortably continued it for a bit more, they canned it because it obviously was not gonna last much longer anyway, and the risk of it being a loss was increasing.

Sound familiar? Because Nintendo's home console market performance is in the EXACT same situation, but worse. Nintendo has been pouring tons of resources into this, yet each time since the SNES, with the exception of the Wii, it's been getting worse and worse, and now their latest console has not only been a commercial flop, but has also had them report the first losses they've EVER reported in their entire life cycle as a company. That's not something they'll just blow off.

While Nintendo going into other markets can strengthen their video game brand, and obviously that's their main goal with it, that is only true if their next home console performs strongly to begin with. If it doesn't, then these other markets will serve another purpose - to replace their diminishing console brand.

Before anyone says "BUT GAMES ARE NINTENDO'S MAIN THING, THEY WOULD NEVER ABANDON IT", was it always that way? No. Their "main thing" has gone from playing cards, to love hotels, to toys, to video games. And why was that? Simple, they shifted focus according to what they thought would bring the most success. And they have only been doing video games for just over a quarter of their life span.

Nintendo, as a multimedia company, are doing perfectly fine. Nintendo, as a handheld console and video game software brand, are also doing fine. Nintendo as a home console manufacturing brand, are NOT doing fine. And if Nintendo as a movie brand, as a mobile software brand, as a toy manufacturing brand, and as a health care brand, ends up way out performing the home console brand, then it only makes business sense to pluck that weed and throw out in the trash.

It's got nothing to do with Nintendo being doomed as a company. It's just got to do with them losing steam as a home console manufacturer.

I mean, it's not just their sales that's been suffering, it's their image too. People always have something to complain about with Nintendo these days, and it's usually in relation to their home console hardware and even software, and rightly so, since they've been messing up a lot lately. They're losing their touch, and it's been evident for a while now.

I don't think the NX is doomed. But if it does poorly, at MOST, I see it taking ONE more flop after the NX for them to pull the cord.
RIP Zoroark25 Jan 7 2014 - May 19 2016.​
"Here lies the account of Zoroark25, decimated by SonicBrawler182 and the holy grail of multi-paragraph rebuttals."

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946

Oh my point with that had literally no aimed focus, or even at your post.

I won't disagree with this post though.

For DI, as stated it was canned because in all honestly, they didn't care for it. Disney is a big company that wants money and lots of it. It's why mickey is slapped onto whatever they can. But their biggest income is movies. DI started out as a nice side business, but it stopped making money so they couldn't care to continue it, even though they have way more then the needed funds to do so.

Moving on.

Yes Nintendo might abandon the gaming market if the NX fails, but with how they have hyped up the NX, I don't see reason to have it fail. So it probably won't, and even if it did, that doesn't mean they will drop it.

I can easily see one of these happen:

1) Nintendo sits down and makes a truly great new console, and succeed and go on with the console market.

2) They drop home consoles and focus on portables.

The portable market is their domain, and it works. they do well and go unchallenged, so it ain't broke, why fix it?
I wouldn't be surprised if they continued the portable market and then went into other outlets like movies to go with this and still survive as a company.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Okay, you bring up how the Kalos teams aren't good at all and you have Hugh as your top rival, when at the Victory Road battle, he only has 4 Pokemon, 2 of which are Normal!, 1 who is a monkey and the last being the starter. I can understand liking him because he's more motivational than Brandan/May, Bianca and the Kalos rivals, but he had by far one of the weakest teams just before reaching the Elite Four. Even Serena and Calem had more type variety than him.
I'm talking about their final fights

May/Brendan quit half way throughout the game right around the 6th Gym. And Wally replaced them

Barry on his last fight at one point, had the highest leveled team in the whole series in Platinum before Red upstaged him a game later.

Hugh has a team POST Elite 4, which is pretty damn strong around the mid 60s in which had a full team by then

Cheren had a massive jump in levels post-N/Geghis

And don't get me started on FR/LG Blue which when you do the Elite 4 rematch, Blue just straights up goes all out with a damn incredible team with Tyrannitar and Herracross

Burruni

Smash Hero
I'm talking about their final fights

May/Brendan quit half way throughout the game right around the 6th Gym. And Wally replaced them

Barry on his last fight at one point, had the highest leveled team in the whole series in Platinum before Red upstaged him a game later.

Hugh has a team POST Elite 4, which is pretty damn strong around the mid 60s in which had a full team by then

Cheren had a massive jump in levels post-N/Geghis

And don't get me started on FR/LG Blue which when you do the Elite 4 rematch, Blue just straights up goes all out with a damn incredible team with Tyrannitar and Herracross
T-Tar I understand.
But anything with Fly absolutely decimates Heracross.

So on the Ace Attorney subreddit a guy who has datamined the demo AA6 has revealed that...

AA6 is more of an Apollo game as he is the main attorney in cases 2, 4 and 5, with Phoenix being playable in 1 and 3.

Hugh O'Conner will be in the game in some form (not sure if its in a dlc case or not).

From what I can tell DLC is 100% canon, with another case taking place after 6-5 and involves another major character.

...Also Pearl isn't in the main game.

Apparently AA5 is where Apollo is at his best and I like Apollo more than Phoenix before that so sounds good to me.

Also dammit Pearl!

Chrono.

So on the Ace Attorney subreddit a guy who has datamined the demo AA6 has revealed that...

AA6 is more of an Apollo game as he is the main attorney in cases 2, 4 and 5, with Phoenix being playable in 1 and 3.

Hugh O'Conner will be in the game in some form (not sure if its in a dlc case or not).

From what I can tell DLC is 100% canon, with another case taking place after 6-5 and involves another major character.

...Also Pearl isn't in the main game.

Hope for the game restored.

No but, Apollo getting the spotlight is very good for me, hopefully this sows the seeds for another Apollo centric game, with Phoenix taking the mentor spotlight again.

Don't care much for Pearl so not too miffed about her not being here.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Yes Nintendo might abandon the gaming market if the NX fails, but with how they have hyped up the NX, I don't see reason to have it fail. So it probably won't, and even if it did, that doesn't mean they will drop it.
I mean of course they're gonna hype up the NX. They hype up everything they make (well not all of the time but generally speaking).

How much they hype it up won't reflect how much people like it. I mean, if it's overly gimmicky, no amount of hype can really save it.

We can't say how well the NX WILL do right now, as we know literally NOTHING about it. All I am saying is, IF it does poorly, then at most, I can see Nintendo putting up with only one more console flop after the NX, if even that, before pulling the plug.

Also yeah I do think they will keep doing handhelds either way. I could also see them making their own mobile phones and tabelts at some stage if they stop making home consoles. Gaming oriented ones or something. However, I think if they keep flopping in the home console market, then they will go software only when it comes to home console games. Maybe not forever, but for a time.

Also, my "multi-paragraph rebuttal" was only done because I was waiting for that one quote about how "Nintendo is loaded", and is more of a general rebuttal than to you specifically. A lot of people say that, but it's not so simple. That's not how economics works.

Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
T-Tar I understand.
But anything with Fly absolutely decimates Heracross.
It does but if depends if Herracross goes first or has something up his sleeve.

Besides, Herracross isn't a bad Pokemon either, it's typing just ****s it over like Torterra, Magnezone and Charizard

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
They're not pulling out of gaming.

Essentially, :4wiifit: and :4drmario: will be more justified to be in Smash now. To promote the Nintendo fitness product line and the Nintendo medicine brand respectively.

:troll:
Good. Gives her less of a reason to be on everyone's chopping blocks because she's "Just LOL random and waste of slot".

But if R.O.B. had proven anything, history would repeat itself with her return.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
I mean of course they're gonna hype up the NX. They hype up everything they make (well not all of the time but generally speaking).

How much they hype it up won't reflect how much
OH Ipeople like it. I mean, if it's overly gimmicky, no amount of hype can really save it.

We can't say how well the NX WILL do right now, as we know literally NOTHING about it. All I am saying is, IF it does poorly, then at most, I can see Nintendo putting up with only one more console flop after the NX, if even that, before pulling the plug.

Also yeah I do think they will keep doing handhelds either way. I could also see them making their own mobile phones and tabelts at some stage if they stop making home consoles. Gaming oriented ones or something. However, I think if they keep flopping in the home console market, then they will go software only when it comes to home console games. Maybe not forever, but for a time.

Also, my "multi-paragraph rebuttal" was only done because I was waiting for that one quote about how "Nintendo is loaded", and is more of a general rebuttal than to you specifically. A lot of people say that, but it's not so simple. That's not how economics works.
Yeah the hype will mean nothing for how good it is, but with the promise of something innovating, it could and probably will do well enough.

As you said, we have no physical look at it, so it means nothing atm. After we get a glimpse, a lot more can be discussed.

Mobile was another thing I was going to say they'd stay in, but I forget it in the midst of typing. But that is another market I think they'd go with.

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Yeah the hype will mean nothing for how good it is, but with the promise of something innovating, it could and probably will do well enough.
Unfortunately, people don't seem to want innovating. They want a console, a controller, good graphics, and a large game library. Nintendo needs to simplify in order to reach more people. By simplify I do not mean to "dumb down" what they do, rather they need to make it accessible to a wider audience.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Unfortunately, people don't seem to want innovating. They want a console, a controller, good graphics, and a large game library. Nintendo needs to simplify in order to reach more people. By simplify I do not mean to "dumb down" what they do, rather they need to make it accessible to a wider audience.
True, I'd say they may be learning, but with don't know just yet how that will go.

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
True, I'd say they may be learning, but with don't know just yet how that will go.
Time will tell. I will say that I am intrigued with the little info there is out there already. If any of it is an indication of what is coming, as you said, perhaps they are learning and are now on the right track.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
It's hard to see Nintendo jump out of video games because it's been something people know them for years and while it could happen, that's only if they knew there's nothing they can do in the market

Plus, it's like people forget their handhelds exist and they have total control of that market for years and despite how handheld sales have dropped, the 3DS was still a successful system and they can easily keep that market to them since Mobile is a different beast and it can easily sell 60+ million with Pokemon, Smash and Monster Hunter alone in Japan and multiple regions

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Good. Gives her less of a reason to be on everyone's chopping blocks because she's "Just LOL random and waste of slot".

But if R.O.B. had proven anything, history would repeat itself with her return.
R.O.B. was going to be cut they said.

Wolf was a shoo-in as a veteran they said.

Dr. Mario was never coming back they said.

:troll:

Red & Green

Just call me Red.
NNID
123Gallon
3DS FC
1332-8993-7355
Switch FC
1960-8956-3517
Wolf was a shoo-in as a veteran they said.
I personally missed Wolf...

He was fun, even if he was just another clone.

Maybe if they ever do bring him back, maybe they could do something with the Wolfen's land mode?

Like that one special attack he did when he fought against you alone in Star Fox Zero.

I forget the name of the planet, though...

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
It does but if depends if Herracross goes first or has something up his sleeve.

Besides, Herracross isn't a bad Pokemon either, it's typing just ****s it over like Torterra, Magnezone and Charizard
Well.
Gary's had nothing for priority.
But of course 85 base is nothing to sneeze at.
Didn't think it was that quick
(Dodrio still was at its peak in FR/LG)

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
I was bored so I made a chart of all Gym Leaders' type specialties count. It includes all who have ever been a Gym Leader in the core titles (which is why you might see more than 8 Gym Leaders in a single region):

What Gym Leader type specialties do you want to see in Sun & Moon (I KNOW I want Dark)?

Edit: Forgot Burgh. Fixed.

Last edited:
I was bored so I made a chart of all Gym Leaders' type specialties count. It includes all who have ever been a Gym Leader in the core titles (which is why you might see more than 8 Gym Leaders in a single region):

What Gym Leader type specialties do you want to see in Sun & Moon (I KNOW I want Dark)?
You can never have enough Ground type. ever

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Seeing that type chart, I wouldn't mind a ground or steel gym in Sun and Moon. Ground could make sense for one at least.

Red & Green

Just call me Red.
NNID
123Gallon
3DS FC
1332-8993-7355
Switch FC
1960-8956-3517

Well, I think Fairy type's definitely a Shoo-in.
(Because it's still practically a new type)
But I think I'd like a Gym that holds multiple types of Pokemon.
Like Fire/Water or Dark/Fairy and the such.

I personally think that'd be pretty neat, but as for a mono-type Gym? Steel.

There's a lot of stuff they could do with that type I think would be pretty neat, like a blacksmith-like medieval area, with the Gym leader being a Knight.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035

By the looks of it we need like 5 various type Gyms, one Dark, one Ghost and one Fairy gym again.

Also that Water spam is bad but I rather combine Wallace and Juan since Juan only exist to have Wallace be champion

Burruni

Smash Hero

A) You forgot about the bug leader in Gen 5.

B) Burru's Gen 7 Gym Order
Normal, Ground, Grass, Fairy, Water (since we know it's gonna be there), Steel, Fire, Dark

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
With the sun and moon theme

If fire and Fairy/Dark don't have gyms, I'd be pretty surprised.

Also I think first gym could be steel.

there's a gym near the Pearl Harbor equivalent, so what if the first gym was like Roark but for Steel types and a mechanic?

Although Electric would make sense to.

Even flying, as he could be a war aviator veteran maybe?

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
It's hard to see Nintendo jump out of video games because it's been something people know them for years and while it could happen, that's only if they knew there's nothing they can do in the market

Plus, it's like people forget their handhelds exist and they have total control of that market for years and despite how handheld sales have dropped, the 3DS was still a successful system and they can easily keep that market to them since Mobile is a different beast and it can easily sell 60+ million with Pokemon, Smash and Monster Hunter alone in Japan and multiple regions
I didn't forget about handheld.

I specifically said that it was the home console market they might soon pull out of.

It doesn't matter if people "know them for it".

There was a time where people knew Nintendo for giving people a place to make love. But that stopped. Same with the playing cards and everything else.

Nintendo are a corporation first, hardware manufacturer second. If home consoles aren't doing it for them or their consumers, they WILL move on from it. It's just business as usual.

Burruni

Smash Hero

there's a gym near the Pearl Harbor equivalent, so what if the first gym was like Roark but for Steel types and a mechanic?

Yeah let's make the first gym the most defensive type in the series.
whoo whoo

D

Deleted member

Yeah, Ground also needs more Gym leaders, and Poison too, Janine doesn't count
I already gave up on a Dark gym

Steel shouldn't be the first gym, not with being THE defensive typing and most having high physical defense, the only Pokemon with special moves at this point in the game is your starter so if you choose Rowlett... it's gonna be Charmander in RBG all over again

Burruni

Smash Hero

Steel shouldn't be the first gym, not with being THE defensive typing and most having high physical defense, the only Pokemon with special moves at this point in the game is your starter so if you choose Rowlett... it's gonna be Charmander in RBG all over again
Or Chikorita in every itteration of Johto.
Man I wish it was better or didn't have a really bad match up in its region's gyms.

D

Deleted member

Or Chikorita in every itteration of Johto.
Man I wish it was better or didn't have a really bad match up in its region's gyms.
There's your problem: you're choosing Chikorita. A noob mistake but it happens, nothing to be ashamed of

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Yeah let's make the first gym the most defensive type in the series.
whoo whoo

GameFreak:

" You guys wanted the games to be harder, so there you go!"

But yeah, it isn't likely, but you never know. But flying works as I pointed out.
That's if the Pearl Harbor town is first. There appears to be a gym to the north, just west of the main town, so that might be it.

I do wonder what they will do for them.

Ivander

Smash Legend

Fire, Water, Electric, Poison, Ground, Ghost, Flying and Fairy.

Starlight_Lily

Stage Overflowing with Starlight
I didn't forget about handheld.

I specifically said that it was the home console market they might soon pull out of.

It doesn't matter if people "know them for it".

There was a time where people knew Nintendo for giving people a place to make love. But that stopped. Same with the playing cards and everything else.

Nintendo are a corporation first, hardware manufacturer second. If home consoles aren't doing it for them or their consumers, they WILL move on from it. It's just business as usual.
Yeah, no sorry, but Nintendo did say that for them, they would probably never go third party, and before you say anything, do try to remember most of Nintendo's staff are all people who primary skill sets are making games, so I doubt they'd pull out off the console manufacturing business, since Nintendo's creative staff have ALWAYS beat to the sound of their own drum.

Plus something to note, a product does not have to sell extremely well, having a product sell moderately does more then enough to sustain a company. So Nintendo doesn't need to have its stuff sell like its a PS2, just having their own systems chug along gaining moderate success is more then enough to sustain its self.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom