• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I don't see why so many people are criticizing James Rolfe for not going to see Ghostbusters

I'm not going to see it, it's the most disliked trailer of all time

So, what's up with that
The problem people have (and admittedly I can see why) is that he's basically judging an entire film based on what is practically snippets of footage.

And it doesn't help that he posted it online like some big announcement, making it come off as some sort of high horse declaration.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
The problem people have (and admittedly I can see why) is that he's basically judging an entire film based on what is practically snippets of footage.

And it doesn't help that he posted it online like some big announcement, making it come off as some sort of high horse declaration.
Well, it's probably because of all the political controversy surrounding it, and the horrible attitude the creators of it are having toward the negative criticism toward the film

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Nintendo is branching out. What does that mean?

That they're branching out.

Sony and Microsoft aren't purely video game companies, now Nintendo isn't either. It's a smart decision and it makes a ton of sense.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo

Sony and Microsoft aren't purely video game companies, now Nintendo isn't either. It's a smart decision and it makes a ton of sense.
Hell, Nintendo has branched out a lot. Movies, shows, merchandising, they've even had brand deals with real like companies.
They're not just video games and only video games.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904

That's what I figure on a better mood, but once I read so many negative comments on a given subject my mind starts subconsciously conforming in order to fit the environment given. It seems like the comments section of every website and article linked here except this one have nothing but the darkest of declarations for anything Nintendo related.

It totally is a smart decision for them to sell more than just games, but everywhere else seems convinced that this means they won't be making games anymore.

Hell, Nintendo has branched out a lot. Movies, shows, merchandising, they've even had brand deals with real like companies.
I mean, they haven't done the first two in a little while, but they did recently say they were both going to make their own movies and were going to work on IP licensing.

It sounds like they're going to up their merch and media a bit, and I welcome it, especially as actually using their IPs seems like a good omen for their gaming sector.

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
They've been getting there these past few years and I'm personally really excited for it.

Animated Nintendo movies? **** yes.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Many of the comments on the article seem to think that Nintendo is getting ready to pull out of gaming because of this.

The comments on an article it sourced from went to far as to call the one guy with a positive take a troll.

I want to do a positive examination of what this all means, but reading stuff like that shakes me pretty hard.

Are Nintendo's days as a gaming company really almost over like almost everyone says they are?

I mean, they've discussed medical stuff for a long time now and it seems likely related to the success of Wii Fit rather than simply looking for an escape, and IP licensing seems like it would specifically rely on their gaming IPs and that they would likely stay in gaming as a result, but would I be naiive to assume Nintendo has any chance of surviving this generation as a gaming company?

Please tell me I wouldn't be. I need an extra dose of hope in my life.
They're not pulling out of gaming.

Essentially, :4wiifit: and :4drmario: will be more justified to be in Smash now. To promote the Nintendo fitness product line and the Nintendo medicine brand respectively.

:troll:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Fans crying doom and gloom with Nintendo is nothing new. It's been a thing since the Gamecube days. (or perhaps even as early as the Nintendo and Sega console wars in the nineties)

I think Nintendo is just branching out much like Sony and Microsoft do. I think it's good that their trying to expand their horizons a little.

Burruni

Smash Hero
So.
To explain.
Starting on a drive to another campus of my college to return books because the school store only has a register on tuesdays on MY campus (wish I was making this up).
There's a bit of a repeating bit of a "thunk" coming from my back left wheel.
I pull over, nothing seems to be wrong with the wheel. Perfectly inflated and everything.
About 15 minutes from the main campus.
POP.
I suddenly struggle to keep my car under control and nearly slam into the guy next to me.
Takes my damn strength to rein this thing like a wild steed for about a quarter mile to be able to pull over.
All 5 lug nuts on the wheel broke sheer off.
The rim was scratched to HELL.
The tire was no longer ATTACHED to the car.
Ohhhh urge to sue the people who last serviced my car rising.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
They're not pulling out of gaming.

Essentially, :4wiifit: and :4drmario: will be more justified to be in Smash now. To promote the Nintendo fitness product line and the Nintendo medicine brand respectively.

:troll:
I bet their licensing deals with Band-Aid are going to be a ton of fun. :troll:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
MAN
YOU KNOW WHAT'S FUN?
NEARLY DYING BECAUSE THE PEOPLE WHO TUNED UP YOUR CAR ****ED UP THEIR WORK
GO SUE THEIR ***!

Literally this.

I doubt Nintendo will drop out of gaming anytime soon. Branching out helps them a lot. They can expand their ips and get more buzz about characters, they get new funds from this, they have different backups should they want to change their gears a little as well.

It's a good decision.

Burruni

Smash Hero
GO SUE THEIR ***!

Literally this.

I doubt Nintendo will drop out of gaming anytime soon. Branching out helps them a lot. They can expand their ips and get more buzz about characters, they get new funds from this, they have different backups should they want to change their gears a little as well.

It's a good decision.
Oh trust me I'm going to threaten the hell outta em with it.

Red & Green

Just call me Red.
NNID
123Gallon
3DS FC
1332-8993-7355
Switch FC
1960-8956-3517

It's a good decision.
In all seriousness, I would like to see them make some more odd and out-of-the-way things, like the Love Tester and Ultra Hand. Heck, Hanafuda cards would be pretty nice, too. As long as they kept making video games, though.

(That Ultra Hand game was the COMPLETE opposite way to go about promoting physical things, though)

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
In all seriousness, I would like to see them make some more odd and out-of-the-way things, like the Love Tester and Ultra Hand. Heck, Hanafuda cards would be pretty nice, too. As long as they kept making video games, though.

(That Ultra Hand game was the COMPLETE opposite way to go about promoting physical things, though)
I would like to see them do this as well.

They have potential to do a lot more then just games, and if they do games at the same that's great as well!

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
You know. . .I'd like to see them make toys of their own IPs a bit more. They transitioned into a gaming company from being a toy company (which they transitioned from by being a hanafuda card company and a few other things, of course, but the toy company was the most direct transition IIRC), so I bet if they put out some more products they could make some pretty good stuff.

Basically I want more Nintendo memorabilia, and with their background in the field I think they would be pretty well suited to making quite a bit of it themselves.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
You know. . .I'd like to see them make toys of their own IPs a bit more. They transitioned into a gaming company from being a toy company (which they transitioned from by being a hanafuda card company and a few other things, of course, but the toy company was the most direct transition IIRC), so I bet if they put out some more products they could make some pretty good stuff.

Basically I want more Nintendo memorabilia, and with their background in the field I think they would be pretty well suited to making quite a bit of it themselves.
That's what amiibo are for.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
That's what amiibo are for.
Yeah, yeah, that's why I said "more." I suppose it probably is too much to ask. . .

I just picture these posable figures and these higher quality diorama sets made of something other than cardboard and just have a little happy feeling at the mental image. . .

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Yeah, yeah, that's why I said "more." I suppose it probably is too much to ask. . .

I just picture these posable figures and these higher quality diorama sets made of something other than cardboard and just have a little happy feeling at the mental image. . .
The thing about amiibo is that it's more than just figures. They have cards and plushies too, and who knows what else they'll turn into amiibo. And people will buy them because the brand name is big now and because they get more than just the figure, and get stuff in games too.

Nintendo already have their dedicated partners like Jaks Pacific for regular toys and what not so they really don't need to make them on their own at this point. amiibo is their thing. And I guess Collector's Edition items, and maybe physical rewards on My Nintendo if they decide to do that.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
The thing about amiibo is that it's more than just figures. They have cards and plushies too, and who knows what else they'll turn into amiibo. And people will buy them because the brand name is big now and because they get more than just the figure, and get stuff in games too.

Nintendo already have their dedicated partners like Jaks Pacific for regular toys and what not so they really don't need to make them on their own at this point. amiibo is their thing. And I guess Collector's Edition items, and maybe physical rewards on My Nintendo if they decide to do that.
. . .

. . .Wait, they have Amiibo plushies now?

Gosh darn it, I missed that. What did they do it for?

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
. . .

. . .Wait, they have Amiibo plushies now?

Gosh darn it, I missed that. What did they do it for?

Maybe plushies isn't the exact correct term since theses are knitted but same idea. They're cuddly toys.

Starlight_Lily

Stage Overflowing with Starlight
I was talking about main game, you can dovrematches with most rivals anyways(and you don't get to fight him more than two times on RS)

Cheren's only problem imo is that his team is entirely composed of early game mons(Unfezant, Liepard, one of the elemental monkeys and his starter), while he only gets Haxorus and Gigalith on the rematches

Of course you would :p
No, I always found Cheren to be a push over, plus it is actually true his A.I is dumber then Bianca's.

Well, of course, the game pretty much tells you to ship Shauna/Serena if you chose to play as Serena, it does the same thing with Calem, if you play as him

Many of the comments on the article seem to think that Nintendo is getting ready to pull out of gaming because of this.

The comments on an article it sourced from went to far as to call the one guy with a positive take a troll.

I want to do a positive examination of what this all means, but reading stuff like that shakes me pretty hard.

Are Nintendo's days as a gaming company really almost over like almost everyone says they are?

I mean, they've discussed medical stuff for a long time now and it seems likely related to the success of Wii Fit rather than simply looking for an escape, and IP licensing seems like it would specifically rely on their gaming IPs and that they would likely stay in gaming as a result, but would I be naiive to assume Nintendo has any chance of surviving this generation as a gaming company?

Please tell me I wouldn't be. I need an extra dose of hope in my life.
I know people are on this already, but I'd just like to remind you, Disney used to only be an animation company, and look where they are now, they've branched out, but they still mainly do animation, so Nintendo will still primarily still make games.

Plus there is the whole fact that most of Nintendo's staff are people who make video-games.

Last edited:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
The fact that people seriously think this means Nintnedo is moving away from the gaming business baffles me to no end.

I'm not truly surprised by this kind of stuff anymore, but still....

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904

Maybe plushies isn't the exact correct term since theses are knitted but same idea. They're cuddly toys.
Oh, those.

From what little I'd seen of them I had thought they were on bases just like all the others. I guess not.

I think I'd like to see them try some non-knitted plush Amiibo at some point. That'd probably be pretty adorable.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I think Nintendo will leave the console manufacturing industry if the NX fails as bad as the Wii U did.

The timing of them expanding their business backs this up.

Last edited:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Are Hunger Games simulations still relevant here?

I've been working on a few different ones for other places, but I'd rather like to host one here now, too.

I think Nintendo will leave the console manufacturing industry if the NX fails as bad as the Wii U did.

I could see that happening, but I'm not sure if the NX flopping as badly or worse than the Wii U would be quite enough to make the company agree to leave that business completely. Nintendo's had some rough times, but they've had many, many years of success in the console (and handheld) industry. Even when considering their new business investments, I could see them trying their hands at creating another console at least one more go if the NX does happen to flop.

Red & Green

Just call me Red.
NNID
123Gallon
3DS FC
1332-8993-7355
Switch FC
1960-8956-3517

Well, who knows? Maybe one day we'll... oh, here's an idea, actually. You know the trophy stands from Smash? It'd be really cool (but really expensive) to have one of those to display amiibo with. Just an idea, but I'd think it'd be pretty neat.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
So on the Ace Attorney subreddit a guy who has datamined the demo AA6 has revealed that...

AA6 is more of an Apollo game as he is the main attorney in cases 2, 4 and 5, with Phoenix being playable in 1 and 3.

Hugh O'Conner will be in the game in some form (not sure if its in a dlc case or not).

From what I can tell DLC is 100% canon, with another case taking place after 6-5 and involves another major character.

...Also Pearl isn't in the main game.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Well, who knows? Maybe one day we'll... oh, here's an idea, actually. You know the trophy stands from Smash? It'd be really cool (but really expensive) to have one of those to display amiibo with. Just an idea, but I'd think it'd be pretty neat.
Trophy Stands....

Trophy Stannds...

If they made a collector's edition of Smash amiibo with the Trophy stands and poses as bases....

It be costly but make so much profit back. It be pretty sweet to see.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904

:urg: Well that's not very encouraging.

Still, I've had a little boost to my hope-o-meter from what everyone here has been saying, so while this knocked out a lot of it I think I've got an assessment I can muster up with the rest.

I don't think it's physically possible for the NX to fail just as bad as the Wii U unless they start going out of their way to actively make really, really obvious mistakes twice.

Will the NX be "successful?" Can't say. But the Wii U was just a mess of bad ideas one after another. Using a touch screen as the selling point gimmick at the height of the iPad era, launching without any real system seller games, calling it something that almost sounds like a Wii peripheral, terrible marketing. These are all things that really horribly messed the Wii U over and that the NX can very, very easily dodge.

We've already seen signs that they're trying to work on a much better selection of launch titles, and it's highly unlikely that a touch screen will be at least the sole marketing point, so all that's really left at this point is to hope as hard as possible that they moved away from the Wii name and that their marketing department got their act together.

It could still sell bad even after addressing these things, of course, but as bad as the Wii U? I don't quite think so.

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
http://www.gamesradar.com/nintendo-doomed-not-likely-just-take-look-how-much-money-its-got-bank/

http://wiiudaily.com/2014/03/nintendo-not-doomed/

They just announced Animal Crossing and Fire Emblem for smartphones and they made an extremely successful new IP in Splatoon. Their branching out is only a way of solidifying their name as a household brand while bringing in more of the casual market.

Nintendo leaving after two (one hypothetical) failures when they've always had the innovation to create successes like the Nes, Wii or DS? Nah not happening.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Are Hunger Games simulations still relevant here?

I've been working on a few different ones for other places, but I'd rather like to host one here now, too.

I could see that happening, but I'm not sure if the NX flopping as badly or worse than the Wii U would be quite enough to make the company agree to leave that business completely. Nintendo's had some rough times, but they've had many, many years of success in the console (and handheld) industry. Even when considering their new business investments, I could see them trying their hands at creating another console at least one more go if the NX does happen to flop.
I don't think they will because if the NX flops, continuing to develop hardware would make no business sense. Law of Diminishing Returns.

Well, except for the handhelds. Those are doing fine so they will likely keep them up.

http://www.gamesradar.com/nintendo-doomed-not-likely-just-take-look-how-much-money-its-got-bank/

They just announced Animal Crossing and Fire Emblem for smartphones and they made an extremely successful new IP in Splatoon. Their branching out is only a way of solidifying their name as a household brand while bringing in more of the casual market.

Nintendo leaving after two (one hypothetical) failures when they've always had the innovation to create successes like the Nes, Wii or DS? Nah not happening.
Problem is, the Wii and DS were complete flukes. They had the right thing at the exact right time and were mega hits.

Other than those though, Nintendo's performance in at least the home console market, has been decreasing since the N64. Wii was a fluke, and Wii U was where they would have ended up anyway had the Wii not existed, since it did worse than the Gamecube, which in turn did worse than the N64, and that did worse than the SNES.

Again, Law of Diminishing Returns. If the NX fails, Nintendo continuing to manufacture home consoles makes no business sense, especially if amiibo, mobile, and movies go on to be mega hits.

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946

Money is another thing.

People severely underestimated how loaded nintendo really is.

There was statistic done that showed nintendo could lose like 200 or 300 and 50 million a day and last till 2050.(by DYK)
That is plenty of room to explore new genres and funding a failure or two. It is what will keep them going (along with their will power) in the gaming industry and whatever they pursure in future.

ElectroLightning

Banned via Warnings
NNID
kultava
I don't think they will because if the NX flops, continuing to develop hardware would make no business sense. Law of Diminishing Returns.

Well, except for the handhelds. Those are doing fine so they will likely keep them up.

Problem is, the Wii and DS were complete flukes. They had the right thing at the exact right time and were mega hits.

Other than those though, Nintendo's performance in at least the home console market, has been decreasing since the N64. Wii was a fluke, and Wii U was where they would have ended up anyway had the Wii not existed, since it did worse than the Gamecube, which in turn did worse than the N64, and that did worse than the SNES.

Again, Law of Diminishing Returns. If the NX fails, Nintendo continuing to manufacture home consoles makes no business sense, especially if amiibo, mobile, and movies go on to be mega hits.
I honestly can't imagine Nintendo movies being mega hits..

Burruni

Smash Hero
Money is another thing.

There was statistic done that showed nintendo could lose like 200 or 300 and 50 million a day and last till 2050.(by DYK)
That is plenty of room to explore new genres and funding a failure or two. It is what will keep them going (along with their will power) in the gaming industry and whatever they pursure in future.
Realtalk on that.

Does anyone have an estimate on how much Nintendo lost on the WiiU?
Just curious.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Money is another thing.

This is usually the point where someone brings up that they've been burning money a lot faster than that, FYI.

Not that I think it matters all that much since they only need to stay in the black for five years in order to reroll for another console and not fifty, but that's what always gets brought up.

Anyway, I went and looked up how SEGA was doing prior to bailing, and. . .apparently both the Saturn and Dreamcast sold about 3 million less than even the Wii U did.

. . .So. . .It could be worse, I suppose. . .not sure what I was getting at with that. . .

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Realtalk on that.

Does anyone have an estimate on how much Nintendo lost on the WiiU?
Just curious.
I do not, but I do remember it being discussed awhile ago. I don't recall the final outcome, but I think it was less then what people expected.

This is usually the point where someone brings up that they've been burning money a lot faster than that, FYI.

Not that I think it matters all that much since they only need to stay in the black for five years in order to reroll for another console and not fifty, but that's what always gets brought up.

Anyway, I went and looked up how SEGA was doing prior to bailing, and. . .apparently both the Saturn and Dreamcast sold about 3 million less than even the Wii U did.

. . .So. . .It could be worse, I suppose. . .not sure what I was getting at with that. . .
Probably, but they really aren't burning money as bad as some think.

Especially since the Financial meetings give good details on this subject.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom