• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I'll be honest, despite how good the games look, I'm actually not too hyped for Pokémon Sun/Moon.

Probably the least hyped I've ever been for a Pokémon game.

(Unrelated, but new avatar. I've been wanting to do it in a while, but avatar uploads were busted not long ago, so I didn't want to take risks... Well, until I saw some people with new avatars. Just in case someone calls me a :079:, I haven't been too active here over the last bunch of weeks.)

Red & Green

Just call me Red.
NNID
123Gallon
3DS FC
1332-8993-7355
Switch FC
1960-8956-3517
I'll be honest, despite how good the games look, I'm actually not too hyped for Pokémon Sun/Moon.

Probably the least hyped I've ever been for a Pokémon game.
Honestly I'm with you there.

I mean, yeah, a new Pokemon game's nice, but it kinda feels like it'll just be the same thing for me with like, 1 new thing/mode thrown into the mix. Of course the Pokemon are fun to catch themselves, but it's pretty time-consuming sometimes unless you change your system clock (Black and White). I'm honestly just hoping there's no evil group this time and you can just practically work on getting to the E4 because the majority of any Pokemon plot's an evil group. It'd definitely shake things up a little in either a good or a bad way. It's just an idea, though.

D

Deleted member

Beat the Steel Samurai case. Holy ****, I see why this was fondly remembered
You already beat Cases 2 AND 3? Jesus christ, you're fast
But yeah, the Steel Samurai is the second best case in the first game, only beaten by the one and only Turnabout Goodbyes
Case 5 gets boring after a while because IT. NEVER. ENDS.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Pokemon isn't the kind of series you play if you're looking for major additions in each installment.

I look at Pokemon like I look at yearly sports titles. Unless you are a super hard-core fan, there's no need to buy every installment. Especially with the existence of Pokemon Bank now.

Since the last one I tried was Diamond, I might just get Sun/Moon. Then I can get the VC Gen 1 ports, play through them, and import every Pokemon from that into Sun/Moon. And if I needed other Pokemon installments to complete my Sun/Moon Pokedex, at least those are cheaper with the existence of Sun/Moon.

Last edited:

RawstyleEevee

Smash Ace
NNID
RawstyleEevee
Pokemon isn't the kind of series you play if you're looking for major additions in each installment.

I look at Pokemon like I look at yearly sports titles. Unless you are a super hard-core fan, there's no need to buy every installment. Especially with the existence of Pokemon Bank now.

Since the last one I tried was Diamond, I might just get Sun/Moon. Then I can get the VC Gen 1 ports, play through them, and import every Pokemon from that into Sun/Moon. And if I needed other Pokemon installments to complete my Sun/Moon Pokedex, at least those are cheaper with the existence of Sun/Moon.
If you want to complete your dex, you can get all the pokes if you have XY & ORAS, because all the unobtainable ones in XY are obtainable in ORAS and vice versa

Although imo you should wait for Sun & Moon, because Its also possible that the regional dex will once again be overkill like XY

If you want a Pokemon game with more content & challenge, Platinum & HGSS are my recomendations (BW2 is also good for the extra content, but it was a stupid decision to make Challenge mode so elusive to get, while Platinum the Gym leaders atleast can catch you offguard)

D

Deleted member

Hey, some buttons on my 3ds don't work, same with the touch screen. Anybody knows what I should do?

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Pokémon would benefit from a sort of reboot in terms of progression mechanics. I do feel the whole "evil team trying to conquer the world + conquer all 8 gyms and face the Elite 4" formula is getting stale at this point.

B/W did shake things up a little bit and tried something different when it came to story, but it was still the same formula in the end.

That's just me, though. Some people might think something along the lines of not fixing what's not broken...

I'll admit that I haven't purchased a Mario game in quite a while either. For similar reasons too. Galaxy was probably the last Mario game to impress me.

Hey, some buttons on my 3ds don't work, same with the touch screen. Anybody knows what I should do?
One of the following:
1. Send it to Nintendo for repairs
2. Purchase a new one

Can't think of anything else.

Last edited:

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
I skipped the remakes, so I'll probably pick up Sun and Moon. It depends on the rest of the Pokemon for me.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Oh man.
Can't wait for Battle Manor Part 2.
Maybe they'll give you FIVE rulesets.
I feel like the battle facilities need to have extra rules implemented, just so that certain Pokemon can get more use...
  • Little Cup
    • All Pokemon are set to level 5.
    • Only Pokemon who hatch from eggs and are capable of evolving may attend; the Pokemon have to be compatible with the Eviolite item.
    • Sonic Boom and Dragon Rage will always fail.
  • Poke Cup
    • All Pokemon are set to level 50.
    • Powerful legendaries and mythical Pokemon are banned.
    • The Soul Dew item is banned.
  • Prime Cup
    • All Pokemon are set to level 100.
    • All Pokemon may attend.
    • All items can be used, including Soul Dew.
Difficulty levels...
  • Little Cup
    • Only one difficulty level. Trainers 1-4 use weak Pokemon; trainers 5-7 use stronger Pokemon; trainer 8 primarily uses the strongest Pokemon allowed.
  • Poke Cup and Prime Cup
    • Poke Ball: Trainers use weak Pokemon, with the final trainer using Pokemon from the Great Ball difficulty level.
    • Great Ball: Trainers use stronger Pokemon, with the final trainer using Pokemon from the Ultra Ball difficulty level.
    • Ultra Ball: Trainers mostly use fully evolved Pokemon.
    • Master Ball: Trainers use fully evolved Pokemon, and legendaries.

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
Pokemon Amiibo is actually extremely likely at this point.

I remember awhile back the data of the figures was dumped online. And all the Pokemon had an extra data string that coordinated to their number in the National Dex (Pikachu having the data string of "025" for example).

They definitely see the possibility of it. Likely implementing it through the TCG in some way.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I'll buy Sun/Moon sometime in the coming years.... I'm fine with keeping the general formula, but I'd appreciate a deeper story like BW did.
A larger number of story-significant NPCs would a good idea, for example.

:231:

D

Deleted member

I see Zelda buff suggestions all over the place, but the real buff Zelda needs is for her Lightning Kick's hitbox to be in a better spot to make it easier to hit opponents so it doesn't feel like you have to essentially rest (being over dramatic on that part) and make yourself unsafe.

But yeah, no free fall from Din's Fire and Brawl's Din's Fire will be nice as well.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
The main thing I'd personally love to see from Pokemon at least once, is an action-adventure RPG.

They can re-imagine Kanto and just have the original 151 and I'd still play it. I think Pokemon has a lot of potential for that style of gameplay.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
The main thing I'd personally love to see from Pokemon at least once, is an action-adventure RPG.

They can re-imagine Kanto and just have the original 151 and I'd still play it. I think Pokemon has a lot of potential for that style of gameplay.
Isn't that what the Colliseum games were basically?

I never played them myself...unless you're talking about them having a real-time battle system...

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Isn't that what the Colliseum games were basically?

I never played them myself...unless you're talking about them having a real-time battle system...
The GameCube Pokemon games were just like normal Pokemon games but in a smaller setting and with some gimmicks like Shadow Pokemon.

I'm more thinking something akin to Kingdom Hearts.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
I don't wanna any gameplay changes, just a massive change in the structure

New story that doesn't deal with an evil team but it can have a villain. You don't need to do the 8 gyms+Elite 4 battles but something of a tournament setup

Hell even a different style of gym leader will be awesome like a Gym leader that uses nothing but Pokemon based around Monarchy and Royalty like :034::031: and Bisharp or a gym based around Egypt like Configus, Sigilyph and :4lucario:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
So you know that "cancelled" Sonic game, Sonic Extreme (the skateboarding game on Xbox, not the Saturn game)?

Ownership of the prototype recently shifted and the new owner has put up two videos showing off a lot more about it.

The first video is a "behind the scenes" explanation of what the game is and how it came about.

The second is over 20 minutes of unedited footage showing off everything the prototype has to offer.

Sonic drought is so bad we are getting more news about prototyped Sonic games from ages ago than we are of the actual new game.

For a summary of the first video, it was originally a game developed by VizMedia for the Rocket Power license for Nickelodeon. However, Nickelodeon terminated the contract midway through development and VizMedia essentially went through multiple licenses to attach what they had made to. One of them just so happened to be Sonic. The truth is, this game was never "cancelled", because while VizMedia did pitch the game to SEGA, the pitch was rejected. You may ask yourself "then how does it use Sonic Heroes models if it is dated to a few months before Heroes' release?". Well, the answer to that is that VizMedia also work on CGI cutscenes for various game developers, and one of the games they did the cutscenes for was Sonic Heroes. So they had access to some Sonic Heroes assets because of that.

This game did actually eventually see a release though - as "Tech Decks" on the PC, and this Sonic Extreme prototype has remnants of Tech Decks in it, as you can play a Tech Decks themed version of some of the game's content. That game was planned for Xbox, but the Xbox version was cancelled.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

There are only two things I'd like to see in SM, first to have a better pacing than XY, it started out nice but fell flat after the third gym, I want that feeling of a journey the early game managed to make me feel
And second, don't make it look like me and my rivals are the only trainers getting gym badges, like, put trainers inside the gym that are also there to challenge the leader and have them use Pokemon strong to the Gym's specialization

ChikoLad

Purple Boi

This looks REALLY cool. I might have to buy Minecraft Wii U for this.

Also...

Minecraft is a creation game.

It has a Rosalina skin now.

I can finally play god as Rosalina now, as it was always meant to be.

We've come a long way since Galaxy.

I shall tear down the world and build it anew.

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
I'm loving the Mario skin pack for Minecraft. There's only one problem. One tiny problem. All of the music is from Super Mario 64. It would have been great if they got some more...

This looks REALLY cool. I might have to buy Minecraft Wii U for this.

Also...

Minecraft is a creation game.

It has a Rosalina skin now.

I can finally play god as Rosalina now, as it was always meant to be.

We've come a long way since Galaxy.

I shall tear down the world and build it anew.
So every Mario character is god now. That sounds just about right.

Last edited:

_Sheik

Smash Lord
I see Cutie Gwen Cutie Gwen was talking about getting the AA games on the eShop since they're on sale, and so did I (well, only Trilogy for my part because I have already played and finished DD).

So I was stuck on a certain part of Case 2, Trial-1 in AA:JFA, and I kept getting penalties and GO's (thanks Trilogy for having savestates just like DD). So I looked up the issue on French websites, but none of them were really clear about what I had to do and how I'd do it. I usually only rely on English websites (what's more, while the original Ace Attorney games were localized and translated in European languages, Trilogy wasn't), and now I understand why.

So here is my current progression on each game:

Phoenix Wright - Stopped playing it a few months ago at Case 3, Trial 1st. Relying on the anime to catch on with the rest of the scenario, although I did see the action movie so I know of what happens in Case 4.

Justice For All - Currently on Case 2, Investigation-2

Trials and Tribulations - Only did first case, waiting to finish JFA before I get back into it

Apollo Justice - Stopped playing it a few months ago somewhere near the end of Case 2.

Dual Destinies - Finished, DLC included.

(Also finished PLvsPW:AA)

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
It's been 16 years (less if you count remakes) since we've had a rival that felt like someone you want to beat. Not to say all the friendly rivals were bad but it reached it's peak in X & Y where the game makes YOU feel bad for constantly crushing your counterpart's dreams. They did nothing wrong, you are just mandated by the law of plot to win.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
It's been 16 years (less if you count remakes) since we've had a rival that felt like someone you want to beat. Not to say all the friendly rivals were bad but it reached it's peak in X & Y where the game makes YOU feel bad for constantly crushing your counterpart's dreams. They did nothing wrong, you are just mandated by the law of plot to win.
Wasn't there that rival in Black and White 2 who was a bit more hot headed than the usual newer rivals? Granted he was mainly on a quest to get his sister's pokemon back but still.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Silver still remains my favourite rival (:215: has nothing to do with it I swear) but he also went through a bit of character development...Barrry had something similar in terms of character development but he wasn't a jerkface like Silver or Blue...The rivals are much more interesting as characters if they are more antagonistic instead of them being your friends from the get go...

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Wasn't there that rival in Black and White 2 who was a bit more hot headed than the usual newer rivals? Granted he was mainly on a quest to get his sister's pokemon back but still.
I count him as a friendly as you fight alongside him as much as you fight him, if not more so. It did feel like Black and White 2 was his story and you were just along for the ride at points.

Closest we got since Gold and Silver was Diamond and Pearl's Barry. He was a friend but he was THAT friend so it still felt good to take him down a peg.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Cheren was probably the best friendly rival
Because he was actually a rival instead of just a friend that is really bad at battles

Chrono.

Yeah, I'm pretty tired of friendly rivals. They all pretty much have the same boring happy go lucky personality (which isn't inherently bad, but it's become the regular).

The only two that were different was Cheren (still a friend, but definitely took himself seriously, unfortunately the narrative made him look pretty weak for most of the game) and Hugh (who had a more serious personality as well, but the awful Purrloin storyline really hindered him).

Then after that we got the ****show of rivals in XY, where they all had the same general personality (though credit to ORAS for trying to make Brendan/May, previously the worst rivals of the series, more credible).

Would be nice if we got a rival with the same level of self-confidence (one might say over-confidence) and abrasiveness of Green or the deviousness and downright malicious Silver.

One can only dream.

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
Green/Blue/Gary Oak is my favorite rival (and gym leader) of all time. I don't think any pokemon character will ever be able to replace a rival like him.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I do like the addition of the final battle with Brendan/May in ORAS. They know they can't beat you, what with you being the champion and all, but they wanna bring the whole journey to a closure by repeating the first battle and seeing how far you've come. Plus you actually get to see their starter's final form.

Chrono.

Green/Blue/Gary Oak is my favorite rival (and gym leader) of all time. I don't think any pokemon character will ever be able to replace a rival like him.
Blue is up there as my favorite rival, and is definitely my favorite champion.

I don't know, back in the day, finding out he was the champion (and final boss) blew my mind. It made the endgame feel a lot more "epic" and personal to me.

The guy who is your next door neighbor, who was a constant thorn in your journey, was the final obstacle to being "the best".

Is it cheesy? Probably. Did it leave an impression on me? It sure as hell did.

D

Deleted member

Even then, everyone knows Wally is the best rival
And you only battle him two times but he more than makes up for it
Well, in the second one that is, the first is intentionally easy

Chrono.

Wally was cool, he didn't show up much but it's okay since his Victory Road appearance and battle is one of the few times Pokemon legit surprised me.

He could've shown up more, but if he did then his battle wouldn't have been as memorable.

At least to me.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
From what we've seen of Sun and Moon we have a friendly rival but he's picked the weak choice so he's probably more along the lines of Shauna. There may still be hope.

I wonder what the Japanese fanbase feels about rival disposition. Do they like the buddy-buddy rivals or yearn for Green?

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I kinda liked the two rival thing in some games. Gave more diversity to the character cast.

The MC rival trope is all over the place in Japanese media, particularly shounen anime/manga... From which Pokémon undoubtedly borrows some elements from.

I'll be honest, it would be amusing to see a rival character similar to Katsuki Bakugou from Boku no Hero Academia (anyone here watches that anime?). For those in the dark, he's essentially Blue/Green on steroids.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I do like the addition of the final battle with Brendan/May in ORAS. They know they can't beat you, what with you being the champion and all, but they wanna bring the whole journey to a closure by repeating the first battle and seeing how far you've come. Plus you actually get to see their starter's final form.
Yeah the main problem with Ruby and Sapphire was that you never get to see your rival's starter Pokemon in its fully evolved state. OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire fixed that up.

You do get to face Wally more than two times in OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire. In fact, Wally can eventually give you a run for your money, as his team can become just as powerful as the Pokemon you'd face at the Battle Maison's super battles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom