• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Blue, Silver, Barry, Cheren, Bianca and Hugh were good rivals.

Even though some of them were friendly, they were interesting and had obvious hopes and dreams. Fighting them felt like helping them achieve those dreams.

Brenden/May, and the X and Y people were awful.

Last edited:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I'm fine with having two rivals in game...there are three starters and it just doesn't feel right to have the final starter just sit there for the rest of the game like it did in the first three games...

Gen 3 was the worst since you only battled Wally twice and didn't even get a proper final battle with Brendan/May until ORAS....4 was lame due to not being able to battle Dawn/Lucas throughout the game and seeing how they progress...Gen 5 was alright, plus you had N on top of both rivals who filled a more antagonistic role, Gen 6 was just plain overkill having frikking 4 rivals...

Two rivals is fine I feel...one is the main rival who you encounter more often while the other can battle you sparingly here and there...but you feel like both have some sort of progression with their respective journeys...

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
For the love of Arceus, please give us some serious rivals in the next games Game Freak! Not that the XY ones were bad, but that lacked real personality or toughness to them compared to Cheren and Silver.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Siivagunner's Yokai Watch 2 rip is brilliant if you know what it's referencing. :p

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Someone pointed out that Lincoln's death in the finale comes right after both Civil War and the episode Emancipation.

That's actually amazing.

Starlight_Lily

Stage Overflowing with Starlight
Cheren was probably the best friendly rival
Because he was actually a rival instead of just a friend that is really bad at battles
And yet Bianca has the smarter A.I. while also being more of a challenge then Cheren ever was...

To me atleast

Also your all wrong, you all need to stop seeing Shauna, Trevor and Teirno as rivals, cause their really not, especially Shauna, she comes across more as a love interest, yeah a pretty shallow, but still a kind of love interest

And why yes I do ship Serena/Shauna, its the only way to go with those 2 :p

Last edited:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Also your all wrong, you all need to stop seeing Shauna, Trevor and Teirno as rivals, cause their really not, especially Shauna, she comes across more as a love interest, yeah a pretty shallow, but still a kind of love interest

They are commonly recurring trainers that challenge you to battles every now and then.
They're practically Rival Making 101.

Besides, even if we ignore that they're rivals, they're still one note characters that exist because every other Pokemon game has one.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
So I finally got around and finished reading Sonic and Mega Man: Worlds Collide.
If you're a fan of either of these franchises, I highly, highly recommend you get this. It's full of fanservice, the art is great, as well as the writing (I wouldn't be opposed to Ian Flynn writing the Sonic games after reading this). If you're not a fan of the Archie universe of Sonic, the Archie exclusive characters play no major role in it (Sally is mentioned once or twice, Snively makes a cameo).

My only real nitpick is that there is an art style change halfway through, only for it to go back to the original art style in the last few issues.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885

Minecraft added polar bears

And a couple of other things that are essentially recolors of other enemies

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
More Sun and Moon info is surprising so soon! I expect early route mons, and maybe official trainer artwork plus legends names and types.

Also expect another trailer like the Japanese one, as that trailer is labeled the first, implying it's a series.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453

Minecraft added polar bears

And a couple of other things that are essentially recolors of other enemies
If only they had added Polar Bears earlier. My main survival world is loaded with cold biomes.

I checked out the other two mobs......did they really need to add a zombie that doesn't burn in the sun?

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
If only they had added Polar Bears earlier. My main survival world is loaded with cold biomes.

I checked out the other two mobs......did they really need to add a zombie that doesn't burn in the sun?
I sort of get the zombie, it's a corpse that dried out in the desert sun

But I don't get the "Stray" mob

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Amusing how the news that Nintendo is starting to invest in other businesses are interpreted as a sign they're leaving the video game industry.

I love how people always manage to twist anything in Nintendo-related news that they're leaving the console business.

There are so many big corporations that invest in multiple markets, so this really isn't anything special. Sony, Sega, Bandai Namco, Square Enix and others all run other businesses besides video games.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
They are commonly recurring trainers that challenge you to battles every now and then.
They're practically Rival Making 101.

Besides, even if we ignore that they're rivals, they're still one note characters that exist because every other Pokemon game has one.
It doesn't help that there are kinda of like stop gap trainers and their teams aren't good at all.

When Wally can bring up a more dangerous challenge and fight than them and he's far from a rival.

Rival rankings

Hugh > Gary > Silver > Barry > Wally > Cheren > Serena > May > Bianca > Kalos Trio

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I sort of get the zombie, it's a corpse that dried out in the desert sun

But I don't get the "Stray" mob
I mean, it makes sense, but the only difference between the Zombie and the Husk as far as I can tell is that the Husk doesn't burn in the sun. It just feels like a rather unnecessary addition, imo.

I don't get the Stray either.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I mean, it makes sense, but the only difference between the Zombie and the Husk as far as I can tell is that the Husk doesn't burn in the sun. It just feels like a rather unnecessary addition, imo.

I don't get the Stray either.
They only spawn in deserts

I think their trying to add more biome specific mobs

However, I'm not sure if they spawn instead of zombies or along with them

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
They finally added a block that damages! It also doesn't destroy items. Magma blocks. This is significantly better than having to damage things with lava, and it currently doesn't light things on fire

You can make traps for other players with it and enemies. Specifically useful for farming, although some enemies are immune to it

They added a block that is destroyed by water, which I can image to have interesting results, but not terribly useful

They added a save and load structure feature to mass copy objects in creative mode. You add 2 corner blocks and it creates an area in which you can copy ALL blocks and entities in it, then you go somewhere else and place a load block and you can load the structure. But, not only can you load the structure, it gives you the option to rotate and flip the structure as well. It only gives you the option to flip left and right though, not up and down.

The other blocks they added are more of less aesthetic, with the only difference being one is nether brick that's a different color and the other is a bone block. The bone block doesn't allow redstone signals to go through it while the nether brick does

Bone blocks can be found nature in the shape of giant skeletons underground

---

As for the mobs, the polar bear is passive unless it's provoked OR has cubs. If it has cubs it becomes aggressive regardless

Last edited:

Red & Green

Just call me Red.
NNID
123Gallon
3DS FC
1332-8993-7355
Switch FC
1960-8956-3517
They finally added a block that damages! It also doesn't destroy items. Magma blocks. This is significantly better than having to damage things with lava, and it currently doesn't light things on fire
I mean, Magma Block sounds pretty sweet but I think you're forgetting something:

Unless it deals more than Cactus?

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
It doesn't help that there are kinda of like stop gap trainers and their teams aren't good at all.

When Wally can bring up a more dangerous challenge and fight than them and he's far from a rival.

Rival rankings
Hugh > Gary > Silver > Barry > Wally > Cheren > Serena > May > Bianca > Kalos Trio
Okay, you bring up how the Kalos teams aren't good at all and you have Hugh as your top rival, when at the Victory Road battle, he only has 4 Pokemon, 2 of which are Normal!, 1 who is a monkey and the last being the starter. I can understand liking him because he's more motivational than Brandan/May, Bianca and the Kalos rivals, but he had by far one of the weakest teams just before reaching the Elite Four. Even Serena and Calem had more type variety than him.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I mean, Magma Block sounds pretty sweet but I think you're forgetting something:

Unless it deals more than Cactus?
Well, I guess that's right

But cactus isn't a full block, and has limitations such as not being able to place directly next to eachother

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
@Con0rrrr: Hey man! So I heard you were interested in trying out some Smash 4 mods. I can set you some up on my PC if you want! I got Sm4shExplorer on there lol.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Yeah the main problem with Ruby and Sapphire was that you never get to see your rival's starter Pokemon in its fully evolved state. OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire fixed that up.

You do get to face Wally more than two times in OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire. In fact, Wally can eventually give you a run for your money, as his team can become just as powerful as the Pokemon you'd face at the Battle Maison's super battles.
I was talking about main game, you can dovrematches with most rivals anyways(and you don't get to fight him more than two times on RS)
And yet Bianca has the smarter A.I. while also being more of a challenge then Cheren ever was...

To me atleast

Cheren's only problem imo is that his team is entirely composed of early game mons(Unfezant, Liepard, one of the elemental monkeys and his starter), while he only gets Haxorus and Gigalith on the rematches
Of course you would :p

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I don't see why so many people are criticizing James Rolfe for not going to see Ghostbusters

I'm not going to see it, it's the most disliked trailer of all time

So, what's up with that

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Sonic Boom is now on Hulu for those of you in the US.

http://www.hulu.com/sonic-boom

Also Nintendo outlines their new "company purpose".

https://mynintendonews.com/2016/05/18/nintendo-outlines-the-companys-new-purpose/

Does this mean we will get Dr. Mario branded medication?
Many of the comments on the article seem to think that Nintendo is getting ready to pull out of gaming because of this.

The comments on an article it sourced from went to far as to call the one guy with a positive take a troll.

I want to do a positive examination of what this all means, but reading stuff like that shakes me pretty hard.

Are Nintendo's days as a gaming company really almost over like almost everyone says they are?

I mean, they've discussed medical stuff for a long time now and it seems likely related to the success of Wii Fit rather than simply looking for an escape, and IP licensing seems like it would specifically rely on their gaming IPs and that they would likely stay in gaming as a result, but would I be naiive to assume Nintendo has any chance of surviving this generation as a gaming company?

Please tell me I wouldn't be. I need an extra dose of hope in my life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom