• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
The Smash 4 "competitive" community is literally dependent on patches. It's literally a patch culture.

They will never stop complaining.
Eh, I can definitely see the problem, but at the same time as someone outside of the competitive loop I feel like this has still been more pleasant than the constant rain of Meta Knight jokes from during prerelease.

Something-something it's better to have patched and endured whining than never to have patched at all.

wedl!!

Goddess of Storms
NNID
Plushies4Ever
It's a known fact that the most optimal punish is to fully charge a smash attack.

The mechanic is silly and Rage is stupid but saying it's nearly impossible to punish is just flat out wrong.

>Mabel
>No Dipper
>First row is half "who?" and the other half "this shouldn't be here"
Star is going to kill everyone anyways
Perfect alien child shoots rainbow lazer beams and kills everyone.

Yes.

Let's be real here.

If Star fought Optimus Prime it'd be hype.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Eh, I can definitely see the problem, but at the same time as someone outside of the competitive loop I feel like this has still been more pleasant than the constant rain of Meta Knight jokes from during prerelease.

Something-something it's better to have patched and endured whining than never to have patched at all.
Honestly I would rather this game never had major patches outside of actual bug fixes and adding content, over getting far too many patches and killing the competitive spirit and innovation of the community.

Sure the game would be a bit less balanced, but at least I could have more fun and the community would feel more accessible. Missing the latter two defeats the purpose of the former, IMO.

It's a known fact that the most optimal punish is to fully charge a smash attack.

The mechanic is silly and Rage is stupid but saying it's nearly impossible to punish is just flat out wrong.
I don't think the mechanic is silly at all, since it's completely fair and you have ample time to react to it. And the rage thing (that one video with Luma KO'ing Bowser at 0%) would never happen in actual practice.

My problem wasn't that he was wrong. My problem was this guy talking to me like he knows what he's talking about. Saying she's nigh unpunishable just because Luma is capable of flailing his stubby arms a little bit is not only a fundamental lack of understanding of basic Smash mechanics, but a fundamental lack of understanding of fighting game and even action game mechanics in general.

The problem with the Smash 4 community, is that they think every match up should play the same. But as soon as a character that encourages a different strategy pops up, suddenly they're like headless chickens playing, and cry for nerfs.

Last edited:

Chrono.

"Patch Culture" has to be one of the sillier phrases I've heard.

(FTR, I do agree that the whining for patches instead of adapting is getting out of hand)

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
"Patch Culture" has to be one of the sillier phrases I've heard.

(FTR, I do agree that the whining for patches instead of adapting is getting out of hand)
I use it as a mocking phrase, not a serious one.

To emphasise how reliant on patches the community is getting.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Honestly, buffing the soundtrack should be a priority, including music from the new Kirby games and Hyrule Warriors.

EDIT: Miiverse will be temporarily unavailable today... is the patch today?

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Let's be honest though, Kirby has one of the best the best music selections in SSB4.

"Ice Cream Island", "The Great Cave Offensive", "Fountain of Dreams", "Forest/Nature Area" and the returning "The Legendary Air Ride Machine" are excellent.

EDIT: Added "one of the best... selections", to make it sound like I wasn't claiming that Kirby has the best music in SSB4.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Let's be honest though, Kirby has the best music selection in SSB4.

"Ice Cream Island", "The Great Cave Offensive", "Fountain of Dreams", "Forest/Nature Area" and the returning "Legendary Air Ride Machine" are excellent.
I'm more fond of the Mario, Zelda, Mega Man, Pac-Man, Sonic, and Xenoblade ones myself. Maybe even Fire Emblem despite not playing the series, the Smash remixes for Fire Emblem were amazing this time around, and just the general selection.

The Kirby selection was kinda meh overall to me. A few highlights, but a lot of them blend together.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Mall trip wasted. Every one only has skinny jeans now. My pants style is out of style

D

Deleted member

Let's be honest though, Kirby has the best music selection in SSB4.

"Ice Cream Island", "The Great Cave Offensive", "Fountain of Dreams", "Forest/Nature Area" and the returning "The Legendary Air Ride Machine" are excellent.
Inb4 "It is due to Sakurai's bias".

Last edited by a moderator:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I'm more fond of the Mario, Zelda, Mega Man, Pac-Man, Sonic, and Xenoblade ones myself. Maybe even Fire Emblem despite not playing the series, the Smash remixes for Fire Emblem were amazing this time around, and just the general selection.

The Kirby selection was kinda meh overall to me. A few highlights, but a lot of them blend together.
Xenoblade doesn't count. Anything from that game is objectionably terrific. :laugh:

"The Valedictory Elegy" that plays on Gaur Plain is also very good.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi

I honestly don't know what the "Lost Stage" could be but might as well check it out.

Burruni

Smash Hero
The fact that nobody said Battle on the Big Bridge for Midgar proves you all have bad tastes.

("That person's name is..." would be a great song from Bravely though)

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
Can't wait for Bayonetta's forward smash to be nerfed.

Oh and Jigglypuff's getting nerfed out of the game.

kappa

Last edited:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
We talking music in Smash now?

Gimmie more FFVII, Metroid Prime, XCX, Hyrule Warroirs, Pokemon X/Y/ORAS, Big Top Bop from Tropical Freeze, Destiny Ablaze from Awakening...Gimmie...Gimmie More...MOAR!!!

Last edited:

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
For those in this thread that play Smash 4 mods, I HIGHLY recommend you block some of Nintendo's URLs.

Maintenance is happening tonight and the last time it took place around this time a 3DS system update was released that patched a couple of exploits. This means it's SUPER likely that a Wii U System Update will be released around a similar timeframe when maintenance occurs here soon. Just giving you guys a heads up.

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/network/en_na/network_status.jsp

If you want some information on how to block Nintendo's URLs, you check out this thread right here.

D

Deleted member

Well, this was interesting
[Input GT bashing here]
EDIT: ninja'd, kinda, I guess(?)

Last edited by a moderator:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
That Game Theory...

was actually very good for once.

For any of you interested in 3D modeling, you may learn a few terms from it.

Didn't do much for me because I study that stuff but the end discovery was also neat. If a little unsettling.

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
That Game Theory...

was actually very good for once.

For any of you interested in 3D modeling, you may learn a few terms from it.

Didn't do much for me because I study that stuff but the end discovery was also neat. If a little unsettling.
Good ol' child-friendly Nintendo, amirite? :laugh:

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
Good ol' child-friendly Nintendo, amirite? :laugh:
nah id guess that it was unsetteling because mattpatt said he wanted to stalk reggie in a pub

but thats just a theory A lame theory thanks for reading

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I'm saving this in case Meta Knight gets nerfed in the patch.

BORB
O
R
B

Last edited:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Tetris: The Movie - a surprise hit
Tetris in Space - disappointing but considered OK
Tetris: Pac-Attack - what is even going on in this movie it's just a trip
C'mon man. You just don't get Pac-Attack.
Yellow Ghost was obviously a symbolic reference to the industrialization and cultural imperialism of America. Even the most average Joe could've gotten that.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Thanks to the concert hype and the 55% Amazon Japan download code discount, Tokyo Mirage Sessions sales are boosting in Japan this week. It's currently #2 on the weekly eShop sales over Splatoon (the game is a year old by now) and under Minecraft. On top of that, more reviews of the game are starting to pop up thanks to the concert. Glad that positive WoM is working there, but I doubt it will be that big for the West thanks to censorship rallies.

I'm not sure what songs I'd like for Smash. But we need this in the next game.

Or maybe some tracks that AREN'T from Final Fantasy VII (Square, you disappoint).

---

大空のぶっとび
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Let's be honest though, Kirby has one of the best the best music selections in SSB4.

EDIT: Added "one of the best... selections", to make it sound like I wasn't claiming that Kirby has the best music in SSB4.
No Butter Building Ver.2 mention? You sir have just made a powerful enemy.

Pretty much every series I can name a remix I love this time around except for Metroid. Too bad no Wario or Sonic remixes this time around.

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
Well, this was interesting
[Input GT bashing here]
EDIT: ninja'd, kinda, I guess(?)
10/ 10 for the Weegee cameo alone.

Thanks to the concert hype and the 55% Amazon Japan download code discount, Tokyo Mirage Sessions sales are boosting in Japan this week. It's currently #2 on the weekly eShop sales over Splatoon (the game is a year old by now) and under Minecraft. On top of that, more reviews of the game are starting to pop up thanks to the concert. Glad that positive WoM is working there, but I doubt it will be that big for the West thanks to censorship rallies.

I'm not sure what songs I'd like for Smash. But we need this in the next game.

Or maybe some tracks that AREN'T from Final Fantasy VII (Square, you disappoint).
Huh. I didn't think TMS' sales would boost at all. Too bad it's still going to flop in the West.

:094:

_Silver_

I don't even know anymore.
NNID
coffeeman65
3DS FC
1349-8695-1576
No Butter Building Ver.2 mention? You sir have just made a powerful enemy.

Pretty much every series I can name a remix I love this time around except for Metroid. Too bad no Wario or Sonic remixes this time around.

You've gotta admit, the first version from Brawl was good too

They should have brought back THAT version

Red & Green

Just call me Red.
NNID
123Gallon
3DS FC
1332-8993-7355
Switch FC
1960-8956-3517

You have no ****ing idea

How much I yearn for my Masked Dedede remix...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom