• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
I personally don't care for the water starter, since I really don't like Clowns or clown-like things.

The grass one, I'll have to see what it's evolutions are like before I start liking it.

Litten is my favorite so far. I like kittens. :awesome:

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Also wait. . .wasn't the "pattern" with Grass starters always that they were reptiles, and then Chespin forced everyone to jump ship on that?

I'm kind of confused that it seems like it was suddenly always prehistoric animals. Did I jump timelines at some point?

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
Also wait. . .wasn't the "pattern" with Grass starters always that they were reptiles, and then Chespin forced everyone to jump ship on that?

I'm kind of confused that it seems like it was suddenly always prehistoric animals. Did I jump timelines at some point?
quick check your copy of bearinstein bears

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

Actually, you're correct. They were reptilian in nature, whether from a dinosaur, or otherwise. Although I do like that the Chikorita line actually has a flower motif.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Well it looks like I found my stater already.

Look at this thing. Got a bowtie and everything all ready for school.
It's adorable and I love it.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
I'm going to love Litten regardless of what type he goes like dark, fighting or poison (despite the latter will make him useless

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
I watched the Pokemon Sun and Moon trailer this morning. The games are looking pretty awesome thus far. My thoughts so far:

Rowlet: First dual-type basic stage starter Pokemon since Bulbasaur? Sweet! Looks pretty interesting, but it doesn't seem like the starter that I will pick. I guess it's because it looks too round for my tastes, though I won't deny that it looks pretty cute. We'll see what it evolves into though. Something tells me that final evolution could have a tuxedo design evolve considering the leaves beneath Rowlet's head look like a bow-tie of some sort.

Litten: At first glance, Litten looked a bit odd to me. It looked like something out of Yokai Watch. Those eyes and the coloring gave me that impression. The more I look at it though, the more I like it. I'm a huge cat person, and I think Litten looks pretty cool. Definitely agree with everyone here that it will probably evolve into a Fire/Dark-type in the end, and oh boy, I can't wait to see how they'll make a final evolution Fire-Tiger Pokemon look like. Going off the design and the description we have about it thus far, I'm guessing this will be Ash's Alola starter in the Sun and Moon anime.

Popplio: And once again, the Water-type starter designs impress me. Yeah, the clown nose is the only odd thing about it, but I think it's fitting for it considering it has the "circus sea lion" motif going for it. I'm predicting whoever Ash's female partner is going to be for the Sun and Moon anime (whether it'd be Serena or a new character, though I'm still hoping for the former) will probably pick Popplio because of its emphasize on using water balloons to perform tricks, and that's perfect for Pokemon Contests/Performances. I'm guessing it will evolve into a Water/Psychic type. The way it uses those water balloons and its tricks look fitting for a Psychic-type considering the water balloons could eventually have the added psychokinetic power, and it could achieve even greater acrobatic stunts using anti-gravity tactics. Either way, I'm really curious to how the final evolution will look like.

Looks like this is Fennekin/Froakie all over again for me where I like two basic-stage starters, but the final evolution will be the final deciding factor for which starter I choose.

As for the legendaries (going to refer to them as Solgaleo and Lunaala until we receive fun confirmation of their names even though it looks like that's what they're going to be named):

Solgaleo: Not surprised a lion would be the mascot for Pokemon Sun. The Sun logo looks like it hinted at a lion considering the circular pattern looked pretty for a mane. Design-wise, I gotta say, it looks awesome! Yes, it's probably going to be another Fire-type lion like Pyrroar, but I like it overall.

Lunaala: Damn, it looks amazing! A bat with a sweet night motif and cool wings make a great combination. It's signature attack looks pretty neat too, especially with the way how the beam is launched from the wings.

This is the first time I'm torn between which version I want based off the legendary designs. Guess I have to keep updated on the news these next few months regarding the other version differences to make my final decision.

As for my other thoughts:

I think the trainer designs look cool. Basic? Yes. I think it's that way due to trainer customization, which I'm really glad is coming back. That was one of my favorite features in X and Y.

From the footage of what we seen of the Alola region so far, I can now definitely agree with the notion that the region is based off Hawaii. Alola is a pun off "Aloha", it's tropical, one of the towns looks like a traditional Hawaiian village, and there are tikis in one of the routes. I'm guessing this isn't the only island we'll explore though. That one island we saw in the trailer looks quite small.

That character Kukui looks pretty cool too. I'm guessing he's Professor Hala's assistant? Speaking of which, Professor Hala looks nice. He looks like a jolly good fella' with a fitting design for the region! I know it's already been addressed in a previous comment, but I'm pretty sure he's named Hala because there is a tree named the Hala Tree which is also native to Hawaii (further hinting at the Hawaii basis for these games).

Probably the one thing I'm most excited for about the games based off these trailers is that, not counting Coliseum or XD, Sun and Moon will be the first main series Pokemon games where all the characters are not shrunken down as you travel the region. That's pretty awesome!

These next few months will be quite the ride though. Still hoping that we'll get to explore Kalos in the post-game; if not that, then at the very least I'm hoping Zygarde's new forms will be obtainable.

Last edited:

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779

An ornament depicting a Pokémon that is venerated as a protector in some region far from Kalos

im guessing this will be revealed as marshadow (the 6th and last trade marked name)

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Oh and can I just say it's hilarious how Japan the Land of the rising Sun choose pokemon Moon
Screenshot (113).png

While the United States chose Pokémon Sun:
Screenshot (114).png

I think they mixed them up
:p

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Two other things to take note of:

The game store scene gives us a look at the entrance to the starting town, as well as a small glimpse of the boxart back, but it's hard to see.

The women in black has it showing, and the girl behind the one in blue has it. But it's hard to make out.

Also where did they film this, and how did no one notice it?

Oh and proof that rowlet is the best:

I think it's related to when the trailers were released.

Released at Night in Japan
Released in the Morning in America
Ooh.... That's clever actually.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I actually probably would be disappointed with the starters if it wasn't the potential for an awesome fire tiger, thinking about it

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I set up my dioramas in my room.

I'll probably do some tidying and cleaning soon so it will probably be re-arranged a bit soon.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Two other things to take note of:

The game store scene gives us a look at the entrance to the starting town, as well as a small glimpse of the boxart back, but it's hard to see.

The women in black has it showing, and the girl behind the one in blue has it. But it's hard to make out.

Also where did they film this, and how did no one notice it?

Oh and proof that rowlet is the best:

Ooh.... That's clever actually.
Hmm, you can't really see much of the back as it's a bit hard to make out anything from it, but I wouldn't be surprised if someone found something as smaller details have been caught by the fandom before.

As for the circus theory, I could see it as the traits are there for Rowlet and Popplio and it would be an interesting thematic to work with. Another possibility for Rowlet is for it to be a knife thrower considering its description.

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
meanwhile im just thinking about how they are gonna go for popplios final evo will it be a strong man a jester or even a ringleader

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
meanwhile im just thinking about how they are gonna go for popplios final evo will it be a strong man a jester or even a ringleader
I'm actually kinda hoping for an elephant seal for its final evo...
so that my prediction for a water elephant is half right

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Hmm, you can't really see much of the back as it's a bit hard to make out anything from it, but I wouldn't be surprised if someone found something as smaller details have been caught by the fandom before.

As for the circus theory, I could see it as the traits are there for Rowlet and Popplio and it would be an interesting thematic to work with. Another possibility for Rowlet is for it to be a knife thrower considering its description.
Some people zoomed in but, it's blurry. It shows the two protags, and 4 boxes of images though. They are to blurred to make something out though.

And knife thrower makes sense actually. Especially since one of his official poses has him throwing his feathers like knives.
Rowlet best mon.
You have good taste swamp!

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Rowlet.png
Ok the fanart for the starters is pretty good

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Everyone knows who the best starter is
I remember having fire tiger pokemon and round owls but when was the last time you saw a sassy seal pokemon???

Burruni

Smash Hero
I remember having fire tiger pokemon and round owls but when was the last time you saw a sassy seal pokemon???
Really?
What Fire Tiger?
The giant wolf in Gen 1 or the Lion in Gen 6?
Sealeo was plenty sassy if you saw the episode of it in the anime

D

Deleted member

Really?
What Fire Tiger?
I'll call bull**** if you try to tell me Arcanine is anything but a tiger+lion hybrid

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Really?
What Fire Tiger?
Or the electric smilodon of gen 2?

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
There may have been round owls, but none with Bow Ties.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I just had a very interesting lucid dream that let me test how much control I actually had over the dream

My control seems somewhat limited.

People seem to be immune or resistant to my control in lucid dreams - if I'm looking directly at them. Looking at them indirectly such as a mirror seems to allow me power

I usually have to fight someone with brute strength in order to deal with a person.

Also at one point when running, I was able to make the hallway go infinite for a while, but at one point it abruptly stop against my will

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
I'll call bull**** if you try to tell me Arcanine is anything but a tiger+lion hybrid
He's a mix actually:
Arcanine is based on the Ryukyuan シーサー shisa, or 狛犬 komainu, mythical creatures inspired by lions, tigers, and dogs. Statues of them in pairs are used as guardians that invite good spirits and repel evil ones. It could also be based on the Haetae, a mythical fire-eating dog with similarities to lions and tigers.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
I sometimes have flying powers in my dream but if that doesn't work I'll just bust out my

GRAPPLING HOOK

and swing from lantern to lantern.

I'm also a professional knife thrower in my dreams.
And I can only move fast when I float backwards.
I can't become invisible but can mind control so people don't notice me or forget me.

I have a nice array of super powers huh?

Fav Pokémon depends on evos, but I like the potential of an aerial ace knife thrower and kicker though you do lose the snorting or barfing of the other two.
This gen's gross.

Hopefully the seal gets to snort entire waterfalls, or even icicles.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Also, the only get pattern in a Nintendo game ever

Do the Chinese Zodiac thing is legit right?

Can't wait for the Fire Snake
That image is off at some areas. Cyndaquil is not based on rats at all, as its evolutions actually reference honey badgers. As for Fennekin, it's based on foxes, and not domestic dogs.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Alright this is a valid point for why Rowlet is best:
There was a problem fetching the tweet

It's crazy how the starters had taken over twitter and become many people's new avatars!

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
Just watched the Sun and Moon trailer.

Gotta say, I liked everything I saw. Don't know which starter I'll end up going with but I'm leaning towards Litten.

Definitely getting Sun though. The lion demands it. You wouldn't deny the lion's request, would you?

D

Deleted member

That image is off at some areas. Cyndaquil is not based on rats at all, as its evolutions actually reference honey badgers. As for Fennekin, it's based on foxes, and not domestic dogs.
You seem to have forgotten people love to find patterns where there are none

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Just watched the Sun and Moon trailer.

Gotta say, I liked everything I saw. Don't know which starter I'll end up going with but I'm leaning towards Litten.

Definitely getting Sun though. The lion demands it. You wouldn't deny the lion's request, would you?
This man.

He speaks the truth. He's saying what I'm saying, I love it. AreJay is a genius

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom