• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
But guys, we haven't got to the best part. Predicting which one of these Pokemon would be chosen for Smash NX a la Greninja.

I'm betting on the cat as our first quadruped fighter since Ivysaur. :troll:

Inb4 too many Fire Types

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
btw I think other's missed it but the region's name is Alola...

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
But guys, we haven't got to the best part. Predicting which one of these Pokemon would be chosen for Smash NX a la Greninja.

Inb4 too many Fire Types
Bubble Seal for Smash! :awesome:

And I don't care if we already have Greninja.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Not nesessarily. Depending on what its later evolution forms look like, it could very well be based on prehistoric owls, like the Ornimagalonyx or the Stilt-owl.
LOL that's stretching it quite a bit

If you use that logic, no matter what animal the grass starter is you can claim it's based on "Some prehistoric version of an animal"

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
I know this was mentioned briefly before, but the Japanese trailer is so nice man.

As someone who made his first and best friend through Pokémon, this tugs at my strings.

Why the **** didn't we get this trailer.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303

Inb4 too many Fire Types
Rowlet or bust

---

がんばってね!
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I can't remember, but didn't someone leak the animals these starters are based on at some point?

Rowlet - Not sure if I would have dual typed it from the get go. It's in-game model looks kind of lame, but I'm loving it's Sugimori artwork. Am curious to see if it'll be the first to go against the general Grass Starter pattern, or at least more so than Chespin did.

Litten - Obvious Fire/Dark Tiger (no Fire Ox/Rabbit? :3). Kind of a polarizing design given the color choice, but I think it has the most potential evolution wise to come out looking great. Just please stay a complete bipedal unlike Tepig/Fennakin.

Popplio - Seems kind of weird given Oshawott/Samurott, but I'm definitely liking it on first glance, gives me a lot of Gomamon vibes. Maybe because it reminds me of Slowking/Mr. Mime, but I'm going to predict Water/Psychic for now.

1/3 > 6/7 > 4/2 > 5 IMO for base forms.

Sun Legendary - Fire/Electric sounds about right. The design was kind of predictable IMO though, looks like a white version of Gospel from MM Battle Network 2.

Moon Legendary - Dark/Fairy/Ice/Flying/Psychic? The trailer made it look kind of weird, but the Sugimori artwork looks amazing. I'm glad speculators were wrong about it being an owl.

Alola Region - Looks kind of small IMO. It's definitely Hawaii based, but I'm not sure based on the artwork if it's an actual island, as it kind of cuts off in the background. So far I'm liking Hoenn better.

Trainers - Kind of mixed on the male trainer. The female trainer looks awful IMO, red/tan/green isn't really pleasing to the eye, and she's definitely stolen the weirdest hat award from Brandon/Ruby. Anyone else remember Kevin the Sea Cucumber from Spongebob? :laugh:

Graphics - In-Battle I see no difference aside from maybe battle animations, but the overworld/character models look great compared to the chibi/64-bit era models from last Gen. Take notes Intelligent Systems for the next Fire Emblem game. :smirk:

Last edited:

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Not nesessarily. Depending on what its later evolution forms look like, it could very well be based on prehistoric owls, like the Ornimagalonyx or the Stilt-owl.
People are still on about Grass starters being based on prehistoric creatures when Serperior is based heavily on the very much still alive Vine-snakes....
I can't remember, but didn't someone leak the animals these starters are based on at some point?

Rowlet - Not sure if I would have dual typed it from the get go. It's in-game model looks kind of lame, but I'm loving it's Sugimori artwork. Am curious to see if it'll be the first to go against the general Grass Starter pattern, or at least more so than Chespin did.

Litten - Obvious Fire/Dark Tiger (no Fire Ox/Rabbit? :3). Kind of a polarizing design given the color choice, but I think it has the most potential evolution wise to come out looking great. Just please stay a complete bipedal unlike Tepig/Fennakin.

Popplio - Seems kind of weird given Oshawott/Samurott, but I'm definitely liking it on first glance, gives me a lot of Gomamon vibes. Maybe because it reminds me of Slowking/Mr. Mime, but I'm going to predict Water/Psychic for now.

Sun Legendary - Fire/Electric sounds about right. The design was kind of predictable IMO though, looks like a white version of Gospel from MM Battle Network 2.

Moon Legendary - Dark/Fairy/Ice/Flying/Psychic? The trailer made it look kind of weird, but the Sugimori artwork looks amazing. I'm glad speculators were wrong about it being an owl.

Alola Region - Looks kind of small IMO. It's definitely Hawaii based, but I'm not sure based on the artwork if it's an actual island, as it kind of cuts off in the artwork. So far I'm liking Hoenn better.

Trainers - Kind of mixed on the male trainer. The female trainer looks awful IMO, red/tan/green isn't really pleasing to the eye, and she's definitely stolen the weirdest hat award from Brandon/Ruby. Anyone else remember Kevin the Sea Cucumber from Spongebob? :laugh:

Graphics - In-Battle I see no difference aside from maybe battle animations, but the overworld/character models look great compared to the chibi/64-bit era models from last Gen. Take notes Intelligent Systems for the next Fire Emblem game. :smirk:
The trademarks for their names were found and from the names we figured which animals they'd be

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Rowlet or bust
This is going to be my personal bet as well. We would have our first truly avian fighter that isn't anthropomorphized unlike Falco.

At least it would be believable to see an owl whack Mario with the Home Run Bat.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
They seem to be more interested in Rowlet at Serebii.

I'm all about that fire cat

Friggin' clown seal is BORING.

Maybe he'll be water/ fairy though?

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946

Someone heard about being replaced in the Sun & Moon anime.
You know the female protag looks like a blonde may lol. I guess they are meant to be more basic though for customization.

I still think they've done to much shipping to not keep Serena though.

Burruni

Smash Hero

Their japanese names were leaked.

Also a biped is on two feet, you mean quadraped.

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I know this was mentioned briefly before, but the Japanese trailer is so nice man.

As someone who made his first and best friend through Pokémon, this tugs at my strings.

Why the **** didn't we get this trailer.
WAIT A SECOND!!!!!!

did they really speak english in a Japanese trailer?

Either way, looks like more options when you choose your trainers appearance at the start which has me believe custumization returns, which is awesome...

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Some people on Serebii had a similar thought to me

Where they think Rowlet will change typing upon evolution

Maybe these 3 will get a cycle in their second typings

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946

Alola Region - Looks kind of small IMO. It's definitely Hawaii based, but I'm not sure based on the artwork if it's an actual island, as it kind of cuts off in the background. So far I'm liking Hoenn better.

Trademarks gave them away.

As for typing, I agree with you mostly, my thoughts:

Grass and flying

Fire and Dark, maybe poison, but dark makes more sense.

Water Fairy

Legends:

Maybe pure fire, but fire and electric makes sense.

for Moon's

Dark and Psychic is my bet

---

がんばってね!
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211

Someone heard about being replaced in the Sun & Moon anime.
I love how there's already fanart for this game. Japan is simply the best. :laugh:

I'm all about that fire cat

Friggin' clown seal is BORING.
Since when have you not liked a Water Starter? Who are you and what have you done with PsychoIncarnate?

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...

Inb4 too many Fire Types
Gen 7 will probably get ignored as well in favor of Gen 8 (or whichever the most recent gen would be by the time the next games come around.) in terms of playable characters unless this whole "Smash NX port with added stuff" actually becomes a thing I suppose....

Last edited:

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
not gonna lie im 100% all in on Popplio
also due to my nature as a person im getting moon because my friends will all be getting sun(ergo will all need moon pokemon)

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I love how there's already fanart for this game. Japan is simply the best. :laugh:

Since when have you not liked a Water Starter? Who are you and what have you done with PsychoIncarnate?
I wasn't really a fan of Samurott. But then again, I wasn't a fan of any of the gen 5 starters

I was born in the year of the tiger though, and if they are going to the route of the Chinese Zodiac that might as well be the starter I use.

I am still going to hold out for their final forms though

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Just watched the trailer.

The male trailer kind of reminded me of Ness. I'm okay with that. :p

The starter designs are not exactly eye-catching. I like Litten the most though. Popeye Popplio reminds me too much of Oshawott, whose design I didn't like. Rowlett is not bad I hope it evolves into Rowling

The female trainer is the one with the green shorts and red (something) on the head right? I liked it.

:231:

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Also...I might as well as that's one prediction pretty much confirmed...the red and black colouring as well as the patterns on Litten's forehead just screams tiger...
pokemon concept bingo copy.jpg
RIP Grass Peacock and Water Elephant...unless on the off chance the starters will still evolve into them but I doubt it, but then again Pokemon evolutions have done weirder things...

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Wow, youtube hates the starters apparently

Also...I might as well as that's one prediction pretty much confirmed...the red and black colouring as well as the patterns on Litten's forehead just screams tiger...
RIP Grass Peacock and Water Elephant...unless on the off chance the starters will still evolve into them but I doubt, but then again Pokemon evolutions have done weirder things...
Well, it's still a bird and mammal though. That's ...something

Last edited:

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
That Grass owl is great.
Definitely my favorite of the three.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Rowlet - It's so adorable! I love its ball-like design and tie, it's so nice to look at. I also like that it's a dual typed starter, which is unique since we haven't gotten since Bulbasaur. Hopefully they give it a good movepool/stats though because that typing is pretty bad defensively.

Litten - It's also pretty cute, I like the color scheme it has as it stands out from the more brighter palate of the other Fire starters. I have to agree with those saying it has the most potential of the starters upon evolving because there's a lot you can do with this little guy. It's easily my second choice, and I hope its evolutions impress.

Popplio - Seems to be the Oshawott of this group, and it's pretty easy to see why. It took longer for it to grow on me then the rest of the bunch, but I still like this little guy and I do like its concept of being a playful sea lion with a ball. I'm kind of curious what its evolutions will look like though.

Solgaleo - I really like this legendary, it has a strong and powerful feel to it and I do like the details that went into it. Some will say that them going with a lion is a bit generic, and I can see where they get that complaint, but I feel they did a great job with it.

Lunala - The trailer didn't do it justice, it looks a lot better in the artwork. I love that they went with a bat for its design as it really brings out the celestrial feel of it, and I do like how its inner body looks as it kind of reminds me of Olympia's cape except not as boring. Nothing much else to say but cool design, I like how it turned out.

Hawaii was a great choice for the region as it feels more lively, and the improved gameplay aesthetics and mechanics help to bring that out. It looks small from the picture, which is not surprising since it's one island, so I'm guessing we'll get to visit other islands as we move forward in our adventure.

All in all, it was a good trailer, definitely worth waking up to.

Last edited:

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Wow, youtube hates the starters apparently

Well, it's still a bird and mammal though. That's ...something
. . .You know, not gonna lie. If I hadn't hesitated constantly and let myself get used to things seeing how happy everyone was, I would have been with Youtube on this one. It's ludicrously easy to have a knee-jerk reaction to these starters.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
People are still on about Grass starters being based on prehistoric creatures when Serperior is based heavily on the very much still alive Vine-snakes...
Yeah, sometimes they can be, but it's not always the case. That's blatant for the Bulbasaur line, being even named after "Dinosaur"(or one of the other periods in time related to them). Then again, you can kind of see the overall dinosaur-esque style for the Charmander line too. Obviously they're named after lizards, but yeah. Squirtle line doesn't show any of that kind of thing.

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
I love all of those starters. I'll have to see the evolutions to decide.

But I'm leaning towards Litten as he's ****ing awesome. So long as he doesn't get fat or go on two legs.

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
It's funny, I pretty much already have a third of my team finalized...
Starter-Litten
Flying type-Woodpecker Pokemon
-theoretical dolphin
-theoretical raptor fossil
-theoretical ice wolf
-theoretical dragon eeveelution
hmmm....a potential for three dark types, I'm ok with that...

Yeah, sometimes they can be, but it's not always the case. That's blatant for the Bulbasaur line, being even named after "Dinosaur"(or one of the other periods in time related to them). Then again, you can kind of see the overall dinosaur-esque style for the Charmander line too. Obviously they're named after lizards, but yeah. Squirtle line doesn't show any of that kind of thing.
Sure, for the first four gens it's understandable given we got a Lystrosaur, sauropod, raptor, and ankylosaur...as well as the glyptodon in Gen 6...but Serperior breaks this trend...and it appears Rowlet also breaks the trend...

but the Chinese zodiac seems to hold true...next gen we get a fire bunny just watch :p

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Food for though:

And like hoenn, it looks like you just moved to this island, as it seems you don't know any based on the short dialog we see in the trailer.

Starlight_Lily

Stage Overflowing with Starlight
Anyone know if Ayumi's game is on the E-Shop right now? I know Takamaru has his game released overseas but IDK about Ayumi..
Guess I'll answer this since nobody else has. No, Famicom Detective hasn't been released for the Virtual Consoles, outside of Japan. However, there is a translation patch for the game floating around. As for where you'll find it, your on your own for that.

Maybe but it wouldn't make much sense with him being more flying based from appearance. I think it would cancel out the usefulness of special grass moves.

And this is the sine greatest moment in pokemon:

View attachment 106311
Lion King vibs, anyone?

Also, I'd really love this was a hint that Pokemon would be able to follow you again, hell, even make it optional, so those who like it can have it, and those who don't can ignore it.

Plus already got my starter chosen, and even have a nickname for them.

It's Litten for those who want to know. And her name nickname will be Grimmy, the name of my cat.

And for those of you wondering, no I'm not back, I just decided to answer @SMX's question, while also sharing how cute I think Litten is. Yes I am and indeed saying Litten is cuter then Meowth :p

Also guys, I want somebody to put Rolo watches on Rowlet

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Sure, for the first four gens it's understandable given we got a Lystrosaur, sauropod, raptor, and ankylosaur...as well as the glyptodon in Gen 6...but Serperior breaks this trend...and it appears Rowlet also breaks the trend...

but the Chinese zodiac seems to hold true...next gen we get a fire bunny just watch :p
Well, I was just saying sometimes they bother with that type of thing, sometimes they don't. I wasn't talking about patterns. But yeah, Grass types are nicely varied overall.

Rowlet may or may not, but I think it will too. But who knows.

A fire bunny would be neat.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
SW-6660-1506-8804
I'm gonna wait until I see their final forms *insert Frieza joke* before judging entirely but the starters all look good.

Both Legendaries look great too but I'm going Sun and naming the Legendary Solaire.

Ivander

Smash Legend
All 3 Starters look very adorable. And now besides Gen 3, there is definitely now competition on whether or not I continue choosing the Water Starter. In all games other than Ruby/Sapphire, I've always chose the Water Starter first. But wow, being the cat person I am, I am so tempted to choose Litten.
And this is the sine greatest moment in pokemon:

View attachment 106311
That is frickin' adorable! :love:

D

Deleted member

Thoughts on the news:
-Rowlet: he looks cute, cool to see a Grass/Flying Pokemon. I expect his evolutions to lose a little weight though. Also, it looks like he's wearing a bow tie :p
-Litten: eh... I can see him becoming less weird, I like him but there's something off about him I can't quite put my finger on it. Nothing much else to say
-Popplio: OH MY GOD HE LOOKS AO CUTE I WANNA HUG HIM PLEASE DON'T DISAPPOINT ME WITH YOUR EVOS
-Solgaleo and Lunaala: they look cool, still picking Moon though. Betting on Fire/whatever and Dark/Fairy
-Trainers: "Are you white, white, half-white or black?". Half-white male is the most natural looking one(considering this is Hawaii) and the best default male trainer and white female with dark hair is the best for the female trainer. Speaking of which...
-Customization: My favorite thing about XY is back, still pissed they removed it in ORAS. Can't wait to spend all my money on clothes again. I give it a "either I can crossdress or I'm never using the male trainer"/10
-Region: 7.8/10. We all know it's happening. Don't have much else to say because I didn't have much time to look at it, waiting for the Gamexplain 15-minute analysis
-Improvements: NO GRID AND MODELS LOOK LIKE THE XY CUTSCENES, THIS **** BETTER RUN AT AT LEAST A CONSTANT 30fps. Also, everything looks way more polished

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom