• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
So pumped for Sun and Moon news. Hopefully we get to see new Pokes! Or even just in game footage... I want to see how different it is from XY.

D

Deleted member

On the Source Gaming article "The Definitive List of Unused Fighters in Smash", I think the reason for her not appearing in Smash isn't so much about her being Japan exclusive, but more so about the character herself and I'll explain why.

Sakurai makes this quote.

“Well, I was thinking about it during the Melee days, Famicon Detective Club…Ayumi even has her own Trophy in that game. But in the end, there’s no way she’d work overseas, so…but I do like Famicon Detective Club.”
Nothing seems amiss from this at first glance, but when you pay attention to the following...

there’s no way she’d work overseas, so…but I do like Famicon Detective Club.”
He states there's "no way" she'd work overseas. If a character merely wasn't popular for western audiences he wouldn't have made a statement like that, for one to make such a statement kinda implies there is a reason she absolutely wouldn't work. The emphasis on there being "no way" plays a huge point in why she didn't get in Melee and I'll state said reason.

Tachi is under 18 years old and wears a skirt. Nothing is wrong with this, except when you place such a character in a fighting game the perception changes. Since what she wears will be moving over the place and you can zoom in Smash Bros, you'd be able to see her undergarments during the fight, and being that she is under 18, the audience in western countries would've probably had a field day with this and it would've led to controversy of some sort.

So I feel this is the actual reason she didn't get in Melee after seeing Sakurai's comments.

Last edited by a moderator:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
On the Source Gaming article "The Definitive List of Unused Fighters in Smash", I think the reason for her not appearing in Smash isn't so much about her being Japan exclusive, but more so about the character herself and I'll explain why.

Nothing seems amiss from this at first glance, but when you pay attention to the following...

He states there's "no way" she'd work overseas. If a character merely wasn't popular for western audiences he wouldn't have made a statement like that, for one to make such a statement kinda implies there is a reason she absolutely wouldn't work. The emphasis on there being "no way" plays a huge point in why she didn't get in Melee and I'll state said reason.

Tachi is under 18 years old, wearing a skirt. Nothing is wrong with this, except when you place such a character in a fighting game the perception changes. Since what she wears will be moving over the place and you can zoom in in Smash Bros, you'd be able to see her undergarments during the fight, and being that she is under 18, the audience in western countries would have probably had a field day with this and it would've let to controversy of some sort.

So I feel this is the actual reason she didn't get in Melee after seeing Sakurai's comments.
And yet it ultimately didn't stop him including the female Villagers and letting us see up their skirts in Smash 4. :V

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
And yet it ultimately didn't stop him including the female Villagers and letting us see up their skirts in Smash 4. :V
To be fair.

Villager's is done out of innocence and isn't exactly panties. More like a diaper.

Ayumi's would be normal panties which would cause problems.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
Just put stockings on her rather than high socks. Not the first time Sakurai has taken liberties with design changes.

I doubt visible underwear is the reason she was excluded from the game.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
New sig...yay

I should really get back to playing ALttP, I kinda stopped after reaching the Skull Forest...haven't really been feeling like doing any RPG's lately which is probably why I dropped Xenoblade as well...I'll get back into those games at some point though...

I've been on a big Metroid kick lately...even downloaded Metroid II on my 3DS (decent price for a 25 year old game)...after this all that will be left is Hunters...and technically the first Metroid but I did unlock it from Zero Mission so I have it available for me to play, well there's also MP Pinball but I don't think I'll bother with that, especially since it's just Metroid Prime in pinball form...

Gawd, y'know I'm hungry for a new Metroid game when....
:samus:

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946

Tachi is under 18 years old and wears a skirt. Nothing is wrong with this, except when you place such a character in a fighting game the perception changes. Since what she wears will be moving over the place and you can zoom in Smash Bros, you'd be able to see her undergarments during the fight, and being that she is under 18, the audience in western countries would've probably had a field day with this and it would've led to controversy of some sort.

******* perverts! Ruining everything!

We could have had basically female Phoenix wright!

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
So... I was screwing around with a new wikia I made, and I discovered what was possibly the best thing ever made for that site: the Infobox builder. Now I can build infoboxes that actually work AND fit exactly what I need. It's by no means perfect, but it makes things much easier. Arceus bless that thing.

:094:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
To be fair.

Villager's is done out of innocence and isn't exactly panties. More like a diaper.

Ayumi's would be normal panties which would cause problems.
To me, an upskirt is an upskirt, and the Villager's are supposedly underage.

Not that it matters, they were made in different times.

-------------

So it seems like people just will do anything to not give the Sonic series it's dues.

Someone changed that Wikipedia article back to Sonic's old listing.

Someone who reblogged my post on tumblr (who I think was the person who did it) said it's because "the Wikipedia page states that dowloadable games and copies don't count", but it doesn't say that anywhere on the page. A quick Ctrl + F of the page on the word "download" actually reveals that some of these franchises are download-only, and that others are both physical and digital and account for both. Plus, most companies don't distinguish how many of their sales are physical or digital.

In fact, the article states DLC (expansion packs) can be accounted for too.

And one of the listed sources for Super Mario even flat out says that downloadable sales and console bundle sales of Super Mario Maker, factor into it's sales figures:

This really peeves me, people will grasp at any straw to make Sonic look worse. I mean it's 2016, a lot of games sell the majority of their copies digitally these days, not to mention the amount of digital only games. Why wouldn't you count them for one franchise, but do so for all others? :\

Nintentoddlers are truly the worst.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I think Ayumi could be a great retro rep for the next Smash Bros game. Takamaru as well. Maybe they'll both get added in next time round.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Villager is an adult. The issue is that the character looks like a kid, and thus, it's really hard to assume it's fanservice and not just an innocent thing that happens sometimes. Kids are weird. They don't think about sexual stuff when they do handstands. They're too young for that.

Ayumi is clearly not the same thing, being more of an adult in comparison. It's not hard to fix that issue. Give her shorts. Black out that area similar to how Rosalina has a galaxy under her dress. Most of the dresses rarely can show off anything, but skirts do farrrrrr more often.

I can also understand Sakurai finding this an issue at the time. Fanservice wasn't nearly as blatant back during the n64 era. Or even Melee. Later games started to pour it on, though. To note, while the n64 has mature games with even boob jokes, the difference is it's not simple fanservice and a straight out adult joke in this case. The adult jokes aren't really tasteless and add to the game's overall charm(Conker's Bad Fur Day). Stuff like Dead or Alive is blatant fanservice, and tasteless, as does Soul Calibur now. It had a slight bit early on, and a few fetish jokes(Voldo and Ivy the most), but was more tongue-in-cheek and just for fun. I mean, still somewhat bad, but it was tolerable because it was just one of the few oddities and added to the series' charm at the time. Now they lost the charm and went into straight fanservice. A major disappointment to me. At least the series is still fun to play.

Tangent aside, Ayumi might be more likely now(assuming her game is more known overseas) since Smash is no longer trying to keep fanservice out. It matured along with the rest of the world. Or was made more immature, if you think about it.

Jdaster64

Smash Ace
NNID
Jdaster64
3DS FC
4141-3026-8303
Switch FC
SW 7540 0069 7907
It's 7am EST, 8am CST, and nighttime in Japan time which is why it falls on a different day in the west.
FYI, all of this is wrong (besides the nighttime in Japan part); the time of announcement is:
- May 10 - 5:00am Pacific Daylight Time
- May 10 - 7:00am Central Daylight Time
- May 10 - 8:00am Eastern Daylight Time
- May 10 - 12noon Greenwich Mean Time
- May 10 - 9:00pm Japan Standard Time

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Got an app to track my exercise

Average walk in the park I take apparently

40 minutes
3.2 miles
3,355 steps
245 calories burned
Average speed 12:56 mph
Elevation went Anywhere from 400 feet to 200 feet (Above sea level)

I thought the trip was closer to an hour. Gotta extend my route.

It also saves where I walk with GPS so I can see the entire trip I take

Last edited:

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
To me, an upskirt is an upskirt, and the Villager's are supposedly underage.

Not that it matters, they were made in different times.

-------------

So it seems like people just will do anything to not give the Sonic series it's dues.

Someone changed that Wikipedia article back to Sonic's old listing.

Someone who reblogged my post on tumblr (who I think was the person who did it) said it's because "the Wikipedia page states that dowloadable games and copies don't count", but it doesn't say that anywhere on the page. A quick Ctrl + F of the page on the word "download" actually reveals that some of these franchises are download-only, and that others are both physical and digital and account for both. Plus, most companies don't distinguish how many of their sales are physical or digital.

In fact, the article states DLC (expansion packs) can be accounted for too.

And one of the listed sources for Super Mario even flat out says that downloadable sales and console bundle sales of Super Mario Maker, factor into it's sales figures:

This really peeves me, people will grasp at any straw to make Sonic look worse. I mean it's 2016, a lot of games sell the majority of their copies digitally these days, not to mention the amount of digital only games. Why wouldn't you count them for one franchise, but do so for all others? :\

Nintentoddlers are truly the worst.
I think throwing in "Nintentoddlers" at the end is. . .understating how many people hate Sonic with a burning passion.

Yeah, there's a ton of people who won't let the 90's go, but there's also the people who won't be caught dead playing "kiddy" games, the people who think they're hip for saying they hate something because they're under the mistaken assumption still has a functional fanbase, the people who think jumping onto the hate bandwagon with the "hip" people makes them look cool, and the aforementioned nonfunctional "fanbase" itself, which is so broken even compared to this one that I wouldn't be entirely surprised if one of them edited it back themselves.

I'm perpetually disappointed in humanity for how childish they act about Sonic, but that's precisely why I want to emphasize that nostalgiababbies are only one of several potential culprits.

*EDIT* Yes, thinking on it I realize there must be some fanbase somewhere that still existed if fan conventions are still being organized and funded, and I apologize for implying there wasn't any.

Said fanbase is sufficiently nasty on the forums I've come across that I do question where these people have managed to lay low at, though.

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
FYI, all of this is wrong (besides the nighttime in Japan part); the time of announcement is:
- May 10 - 5:00am Pacific Daylight Time
- May 10 - 7:00am Central Daylight Time
- May 10 - 8:00am Eastern Daylight Time
- May 10 - 12noon Greenwich Mean Time
- May 10 - 9:00pm Japan Standard Time
You sure?

As when I checked the time converter( and me seeing other time zones post about it), those were the times that I came across.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
You sure?

As when I checked the time converter( and me seeing other time zones post about it), those were the times that I came across.
9 pm japan time does come to 5 am pacific according to what I found

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I wish this was real.
If Johnny Bravo ever met the Ed's, I could see him more as attempting to "mentor" them rather than opposing them

and failing

Edit: You edited your post. I guess you realized it wasn't real

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
So uh, I walked into my room and found this:

IMAG0367.jpg

It came in the package with the Kirby amiibo as a promotional thing, I assume. My brother must have snuck out and stuck it on my door.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Anyone know if Ayumi's game is on the E-Shop right now? I know Takamaru has his game released overseas but IDK about Ayumi.

I still stand by my retro choice.
How many retro's are there left to add anyways in the next Smash Bros?

Also wouldn't characters from like the SNES/N64 era be considered retro now? NES characters were retro in 2001 so logically characters from the 90's or even the early 00's can have that label. Just a thought.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I think it's going to be Takamaru, honestly.

I'd like Dillon to get into the next smash, he's unique enough.

But there haven't really been any plans for his series.

The series itself needs to evolve in order to add him.

I personally think the biggest thing holding him back is his dislike for using guns. That would add a new element to his character other than just rolling into things. He has no problem with teaming up with people that use guns. He has no problem for employing gun toting turrets, he pays for with his own money. The guy's a bit of a hypocrite is all I'm saying - Yeah, I won't use a gun MYSELF, but I'm willing to hire people to use guns for me...

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
So uh, I walked into my room and found this:

View attachment 106290

It came in the package with the Kirby amiibo as a promotional thing, I assume. My brother must have snuck out and stuck it on my door.
Oh man. . .is that a bumper sticker? That sucks. Hope you don't have too difficult of a time getting it off of there.

As for the faces on the backer. . .huh. I thought you couldn't get any more blatant marketing like that, but they found a way to.

Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
I gotta say, why do we need DOAX games?

Nobody sure as hell don't play them for the gameplay and it pisses almost everyone off from fans, SJWs and guys who wanted the game but won't get it now.

I know the REAL reason for it but let's be honest, this isn't 2007, we have better technology for the 'experience' I think people want from DOAX games.

Especially Source Filmmaker. Ain't saying nothing else but just pointing it out, that's all and nothing else. Nothing else.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I gotta say, why do we need DOAX games?

Nobody sure as hell don't play them for the gameplay and it pisses almost everyone off from fans, SJWs and guys who wanted the game but won't get it now.

I know the REAL reason for it but let's be honest, this isn't 2007, we have better technology for the 'experience' I think people want from DOAX games.

Especially Source Filmmaker. Ain't saying nothing else but just pointing it out, that's all and nothing else. Nothing else.
Everything pisses off SJW's anyway.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Yeah true. Except for whatever panders to them unless then that'll still piss them off (see reaction towards Age of Ultron and Joss Whedon)
What happened with Age of Ultron?

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
What happened with Age of Ultron?
Not to go into detail with spoilers but did you remember the whole thing Black Widow and Bruce Banner relationship that was going on, well....

Their relationship faltered throughout the movie it's mostly due tearfully revealing to Bruce that the Red Room sterilizes their alumnae during "graduation day". However much she might want to have her own children, she can't.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Why does Black Widow and Bruce Banner get into a relationship? That seems like a really random and unnecessary thing to happen

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Why does Black Widow and Bruce Banner get into a relationship? That seems like a really random and unnecessary thing to happen
Drama, Sex, and Action sell.
We needed a love story.
That's actually what turns me off of it
Because they need that type of relationship in movies but those two have to be together because these reasons

• Tony has Pepper
  • Thor has that chick who'se been in his movies
  • Cap is too pure for any woman (until a certain a scene in Civil War I didn't like)
  • Hawkeye apparently has a family despite the small amount of ship tease in first film and that Natasha and Hawkeye have been a couple for years in comics (which will still be my OTP)
It's stupid

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Because they need that type of relationship in movies but those two have to be together because these reasons

• Tony has Pepper
  • Thor has that chick who'se been in his movies
  • Cap is too pure for any woman (until a certain a scene in Civil War I didn't like)
  • Hawkeye apparently has a family despite the small amount of ship tease in first film and that Natasha and Hawkeye have been a couple for years in comics (which will still be my OTP)
It's stupid
What happened to Betty Ross

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Depends, do you care about Betty Ross?
Not really, but didn't she marry Bruce Banner?

Also she's red she hulk I think

Marvel has so many universes I'm not really sure what's canon 100% of the time

Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Not really, but didn't she marry Bruce Banner?

Also she's red she hulk I think

Marvel has so many universes I'm not really sure what's canon 100% of the time
I don't remember much but her father was Red Hulk though but the movies kinda written her off as like the woman who only saw the monster I guess.

Plus any relationship regarding the Hulk is usually a Beauty and the Beast analogy how "he's a monster on the outside but a sweet soft guy on the inside"

Even that's tiring and AoU did that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom