• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
On the topic anime dubs, and be mindful that this is someone who's watched dubbed anime before and played Japanese games in English (and loved the English dubs of Kid Icarus: Uprising and Xenoblade Chronicles), I do think there's a bit of a sense of entitlement when it comes to them at times.

I say this because, if I were to wait for a European Portuguese dub (my native language) for the many anime I've watched, I probably would've died twice before they'd happen.

Then again, nowadays I stick to watch some stuff it's currently airing, so I just watch episodes as they air in Japan (meaning, in Japanese). Well, that was before I started to play Hyrule Warriors. XD I haven't watched a single episode in a while. :p

On politics, I don't really care about them. About Trump, I'll say this: the man is unfit to be a representative of a country, let alone one of the most influential on a global scale. Even when not considering his ideas, I don't have a very good impression of his personality. The man fits into the "fat, dumb and overly patriotic American" stereotype in a not particularly good way.

Most people I've talked to outside of the Internet all have a negative image of Trump. It's not good in a globalized world that a country leader has a bad image outside of their country's borders.
How common are Portuguese dubs, btw (including Brazilian ones)?

India is in the middle of an anime boom, right now, which Doraemon, Ninja Hattori-kun and Crayon Shin-Chan being dominant. Even Kochikame (yes, that long running one) has a Hindi dub. I was pretty surprised that it wasn't in English.

:231:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
So I accidentally ran into SegaNintendoUbisoft SegaNintendoUbisoft 's Twitter while browsing Twitter and decided to browse it.

I ran into a particular tweet with some pretty big news through this that I am surprised nobody is talking about. I've compiled the relevant info into this post.

Sonic the Hedgehog has surpassed Super Mario and Pokémon in total combined sales, meaning it is now the best selling video game series of all time.

http://www.segasammy.co.jp/english/ir/library/pdf/printing_annual/2015/all_ar2015_e.pdf

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_video_game_franchises

NOTE: "Super Mario" consists only of the core Mario series, being stuff like the classic 2D platformers, the New Super Mario Bros games, and the 3D platformers like Super Mario 64. "Mario" is anything with the Mario name on it, and that still beats Sonic's total sales by quite a bit (mainly thanks to the phenomenal sales of Mario Kart), but this is still a really impressive feat and I never even expected Sonic to surpass Pokémon's sales in the modern era, let alone Super Mario.

In all cases, these sales include physical units, digital downloads, and even expansion packs.

Super Mario Bros. first released on the NES on September 13th, 1985.
Sonic the Hedgehog first released on June 23rd, 1991.

By the time the first Sonic the Hedgehog had released, Super Mario World was the latest Super Mario game released, being the 6th game in the franchise.

Pokémon's numbers are as of February 29th, 2016.

Super Mario's official total sales numbers are as of September 2015, however, the Wikipedia listing is also accounting for the confirmed 1.46 million units sold of Super Mario Maker as of December 2016.

Since December, Pokémon has only had Pokkén and VC ports.
Super Mario has only had a Super Mario World VC port on the New 3DS.
Sonic has only had Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games (3DS) and SEGA 3D Classics Collection. Most of what Sonic released in 2015 was Free to Play titles, which do not factor into the sales number, nor do their microtransactions, meaning Sonic just had an almost completely blank year sales wise.

Mario & Sonic Olympics factor into "Mario" and Sonic the Hedgehog sales, but not "Super Mario" sales.
Thanks for the follow.

I completely forgot about this piece of news, I can't even recall sites like the Sonic Stadium covering it. Either way it's very impressive, and it shows no matter how much crap the series has gotten, it's still here to stay.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
That's...really besides the point.

The point is that Sonic is now officially the best selling video game series of all time. This is impressive considering the more mixed reception of the franchise. Nobody really expected it to trounce Pokémon, let alone Super Mario.
I think it depends on how you separate the franchises based on spin offs and game compilations, but that's more silly things for Mario/Sonic fans to fight over. IDK data can be interpreted in a lot of different ways to suit one's agenda. lol

It's interesting to see it over take Pokemon. I guess the addition of Chinese to Sun/Moon was a bigger deal for Nintendo than we thought. I just wish SEGA would stop the trolling the 25th Anniversary already or at least make up their mind on how they want to handle the direction of the game series.

On politics, I don't really care about them. About Trump, I'll say this: the man is unfit to be a representative of a country, let alone one of the most influential on a global scale. Even when not considering his ideas, I don't have a very good impression of his personality. The man fits into the "fat, dumb and overly patriotic American" stereotype in a not particularly good way.

Most people I've talked to outside of the Internet all have a negative image of Trump. It's not good in a globalized world that a country leader has a bad image outside of their country's borders.
That's sort of the issue in and of itself. Trump is a narcissist and most of his supporters are in favor of America becoming isolationist. Given we only have two neighboring countries on our direct borders (one of which we don't care about to remember and one we want nothing to do with), most Americans aren't interested in globalization, let alone being able to properly understand it with politicians using fear to gain votes. The opinions of other countries just don't matter to them. Granted the Syrian Refugee Crisis has drawn out similar supporters in Europe and does have some parallels.

As an IR major, I find it both interesting to hear the opinions of other countries, but that's also what scares me out of my mind.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
At this point I'm fully convinced Trump is some kind of satire of American politics. It's the only way I can see any of this making sense.
It's like that one movie The Producers: Make the worst candidate to make a quick buck, and accidentally end up with someone swooning the hearts of many.

It's a little disheartening not gonna lie.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I think it depends on how you separate the franchises based on spin offs and game compilations, but that's more silly things for Mario/Sonic fans to fight over. IDK data can be interpreted in a lot of different ways to suit one's agenda. lol

It's interesting to see it over take Pokemon. I guess the addition of Chinese to Sun/Moon was a bigger deal for Nintendo than we thought. I just wish SEGA would stop the trolling the 25th Anniversary already or at least make up their mind on how they want to handle the direction of the game series.

That's sort of the issue in and of itself. Trump is a narcissist and most of his supporters are in favor of America becoming isolationist. Given we only have two neighboring countries on our direct borders (one of which we don't care about to remember and one we want nothing to do with), most Americans aren't interested in globalization, let alone being able to properly understand it with politicians using fear to gain votes. The opinions of other countries just don't matter to them. Granted the Syrian Refugee Crisis has drawn out similar supporters in Europe and does have some parallels.

As an IR major, I find it both interesting to hear the opinions of other countries, but that's also what scares me out of my mind.
Sonic doesn't really have any major spin-off franchises that they make a new installment for every generation though, like Mario does, so all of the spin-offs get grouped under one umbrella with the main games. SEGA has never separated the sales into "Classic", "Modern", or "Sonic & All-Stars Racing" for example. It's just the way the branding is. Nintendo distinctly have "Mario" and "Super Mario" as separate brands, but there is just the Sonic brand for Sonic (Sonic Boom is it's own brand but that's mainly a non-video game brand - the current two Sonic Boom games bombed in sales so it's not like combining them with the main series pushes it much farther).

The most fans do is separate handheld games from console games, but officially, this is not done with the sales data of either Super Mario or Sonic. Super Mario Land and the like are accounted for in the Super Mario sales, since they have "Super Mario" in the name. "Mario Bros" is a "Mario" game, "Super Mario Bros" is a "Super Mario" game, due to the obvious branding distinction. All Sonic games are accounted for in the Sonic branding because every Sonic game is simply titled "Sonic *insert title here*". The game genre is irrelevant.

Last edited:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Sonic doesn't really have any major spin-off franchises that they make a new installment for every generation though, like Mario does, so all of the spin-offs get grouped under one umbrella with the main games. SEGA has never separated the sales into "Classic", "Modern", or "Sonic & All-Stars Racing" for example. It's just the way the branding is. Nintendo distinctly have "Mario" and "Super Mario" as separate brands, but there is just the Sonic brand for Sonic (Sonic Boom is it's own brand but that's mainly a non-video game brand - the current two Sonic Boom games bombed in sales so it's not like combining them with the main series pushes it much farther).

The most fans do is separate handheld games from console games, but officially, this is not done with the sales data of either Super Mario or Sonic. Super Mario Land and the like are accounted for in the Super Mario sales, since they have "Super Mario" in the name. "Mario Bros" is a "Mario" game, "Super Mario Bros" is a "Super Mario" game, due to the obvious branding distinction. All Sonic games are accounted for in the Sonic branding because every Sonic game is simply titled "Sonic *insert title here*". The game genre is irrelevant.
It mostly depends on how fans determine to separate the entries within each franchise. Like the Mega Man franchise, Nintendo counts Mario as both a whole and as separate entities in order to show specifics compared to Sonic which SEGA counts only as a whole. As such, comparing the two is pretty much impossible without some sort of agreement as to what individual games count towards the total.

I know you're just as passionate about Sonic as you are Rosalina, but we can't be both just re-live the early 90s and laugh at the fanboys fighting over Wikipedia now? :laugh:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Sonic curbstomped Pokemon? Gee, I wonder if his great comics and TV shows has anything to do with it.

Now where the hell is our second Sonic rep Sakurai? :troll:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
So here's something neat: possible big MCU leak. Anonymous source, but hey, these don't come out often, and in the past an anonymous 4chan post leaked Age of Ultron's deleted scenes while the film was still in theaters, and nothing seems outlandish, sooooo maybe? At the very least it's an interesting read.

Light spoiler warning. It's mainly just one-sentence plot synopses, as well as casting information, plus future film/Netflix plans.
Mads Mikkelsen is playing Dr. Anthony Druid in DOCTOR STRANGE. He’s the main villain. Amy Landecker and Scott Adkins are playing his followers. Michael Stuhlbarg is playing a LHC scientist who assists Doctor Druid. Dormammu is referenced.

Kurt Russell is playing Stakar in GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY VOL. 2. He’s Star-Lord’s father and the main villain. Secondary villains include Tullk and Taserface. Ego, the Living Planet, will appear, and they’re scouting high-profile actors to voice him.

Sylvester Stallone, Sharon Stone and Christopher Lloyd have minor roles in GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY VOL. 2.

The main villains of SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING are Norman Osborn and the Vulture, with appearances by Spencer Smythe and Miles Warren.

Michael Keaton was approached to play Osborn, but declined because he didn’t want to commit to a multi-picture contract. Other actors are now being approached, including Jason Clarke and Dougray Scott.

Mark Rylance has been approached about playing the Vulture and Gary Oldman is in negotiations to play Smythe. Andrew McCarthy is in early talks to play Warren.

Peter won’t have a prominent love interest in the first movie, although he will have a crush on Liz Allan, who is being played by Laura Harrier. Flash Thompson will also appear, with Blake Jenner in talks to play him. Daniel Zovatto and Charlie Rowe are in talks to play Harry Osborn.

THOR: RAGNAROK will feature Cate Blanchett as Hela and Surtur will be unleashed in the third actor. Josh Brolin will have an appearance as Thanos that leads directly into AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR.

Tessa Thompson is indeed playing Broomhilde, the warrior Valkyrie. She is Thor’s new romantic interest. It will be established Thor and Jane Foster’s relationship ended on amicable terms due to his responsibilities as the guardian of the Nine Realms preventing them from committing to a life together.

Villains of BLACK PANTHER are High Priest Achebe, Ulysses Klaue and M'Baku. Andy Serkis will reprise his role as Klaw. Martin Freeman is also reprising his role as Everett Ross.

Black Panther’s love interest will be Monica Lynne, reinvented as a political envoy employed by Ross. Other supporting characters are Shuri, T'Challa’s sister; N'Gassi, the royal adviser; Okoye, the leader of the Dora Milaje; Adenbi, Achebe’s loyal follower; and Jack Truman, Lynne’s handler.

Casting is still in early stages, but Marvel has already named Michael Jai White as one of the frontrunners for M'Baku, and had meetings with Gugu Mbatha-Raw, Nicole Beharie, Yaya DaCosta and Sharol Leal for the lead female roles, either Lynne or Shuri or both.

Carol Danvers will appear in AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR before CAPTAIN MARVEL, and Emily Blunt is lined up to play her. Emily Carmichel in talks to direct.

AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR - PART 1 will be renamed. First draft has recently been delivered. Apparently set on Earth and centered on the assembly of the Infinity Gauntlet.

CAPTAIN MARVEL will feature the Kree as villains. Not much is set.

ANT-MAN & THE WASP will feature the return of Janet Van Dyne and Scott Lang and Hope Van Dyne fighting an old enemy of Hank Pym’s past familiar with the Quantum Realm, but his identity hasn’t yet been determined.

AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR - PART 2 will be set in Space and feature the final battle against Thanos.

INHUMANS will most likely be scrapped.

Chris Evans is expected to renew his contract for more CAPTAIN AMERICA movies in Phase 4. Robert Downey Jr., however, is not. although there’s renewed interest in IRON MAN 4 lately.

Sequels for GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY, DOCTOR STRANGE, BLACK PANTHER and SPIDER-MAN already in discussions. They’re being optimistic, but more reserved with CAPTAIN MARVEL.

SECRET INVASION and SIEGE are popular storylines that are being considered as overarching storylines of Phase 4 and beyond.

There is a plan for the potential return of the Fantastic Four to the MCU. However, there are no contingencies for the X-Men, which are unlikely to ever return. There is interest in Namor, too.

There is interest in the Sentry, Spider-Woman, Hercules, Photon, Nova. the Young Avengers and the Thunderbolts for Phase 4 and beyond.

Blade, Moon Knight and Ghost Rider are being lined-up for Netflix shows.

BLACK WIDOW is actually of interest, but likely won’t happen in phase 3. Likewise, there’s been debate about a standalone WINTER SOLDIER movie.

There’s a running gag about producing a Supreme Squadron movie, but chances of it actually happening are virtually zero.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
So I accidentally ran into SegaNintendoUbisoft SegaNintendoUbisoft 's Twitter while browsing Twitter and decided to browse it.

I ran into a particular tweet with some pretty big news through this that I am surprised nobody is talking about. I've compiled the relevant info into this post.

Sonic the Hedgehog has surpassed Super Mario and Pokémon in total combined sales, meaning it is now the best selling video game series of all time.

http://www.segasammy.co.jp/english/ir/library/pdf/printing_annual/2015/all_ar2015_e.pdf

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_video_game_franchises

NOTE: "Super Mario" consists only of the core Mario series, being stuff like the classic 2D platformers, the New Super Mario Bros games, and the 3D platformers like Super Mario 64. "Mario" is anything with the Mario name on it, and that still beats Sonic's total sales by quite a bit (mainly thanks to the phenomenal sales of Mario Kart), but this is still a really impressive feat and I never even expected Sonic to surpass Pokémon's sales in the modern era, let alone Super Mario.

In all cases, these sales include physical units, digital downloads, and even expansion packs.

Super Mario Bros. first released on the NES on September 13th, 1985.
Sonic the Hedgehog first released on June 23rd, 1991.

By the time the first Sonic the Hedgehog had released, Super Mario World was the latest Super Mario game released, being the 6th game in the franchise.

Pokémon's numbers are as of February 29th, 2016.

Super Mario's official total sales numbers are as of September 2015, however, the Wikipedia listing is also accounting for the confirmed 1.46 million units sold of Super Mario Maker as of December 2016.

Since December, Pokémon has only had Pokkén and VC ports.
Super Mario has only had a Super Mario World VC port on the New 3DS.
Sonic has only had Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games (3DS) and SEGA 3D Classics Collection. Most of what Sonic released in 2015 was Free to Play titles, which do not factor into the sales number, nor do their microtransactions, meaning Sonic just had an almost completely blank year sales wise.

Mario & Sonic Olympics factor into "Mario" and Sonic the Hedgehog sales, but not "Super Mario" sales.
Good onya Sonic, you really deserved it mate.

Now can Sakurai please give us more Sonic reps in a future Smash title (especially my bae boy Knuckles)?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
So here's something neat: possible big MCU leak. Anonymous source, but hey, these don't come out often, and in the past an anonymous 4chan post leaked Age of Ultron's deleted scenes while the film was still in theaters, and nothing seems outlandish, sooooo maybe? At the very least it's an interesting read.

Light spoiler warning. It's mainly just one-sentence plot synopses, as well as casting information, plus future film/Netflix plans.
Mads Mikkelsen is playing Dr. Anthony Druid in DOCTOR STRANGE. He’s the main villain. Amy Landecker and Scott Adkins are playing his followers. Michael Stuhlbarg is playing a LHC scientist who assists Doctor Druid. Dormammu is referenced.

Kurt Russell is playing Stakar in GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY VOL. 2. He’s Star-Lord’s father and the main villain. Secondary villains include Tullk and Taserface. Ego, the Living Planet, will appear, and they’re scouting high-profile actors to voice him.

Sylvester Stallone, Sharon Stone and Christopher Lloyd have minor roles in GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY VOL. 2.

The main villains of SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING are Norman Osborn and the Vulture, with appearances by Spencer Smythe and Miles Warren.

Michael Keaton was approached to play Osborn, but declined because he didn’t want to commit to a multi-picture contract. Other actors are now being approached, including Jason Clarke and Dougray Scott.

Mark Rylance has been approached about playing the Vulture and Gary Oldman is in negotiations to play Smythe. Andrew McCarthy is in early talks to play Warren.

Peter won’t have a prominent love interest in the first movie, although he will have a crush on Liz Allan, who is being played by Laura Harrier. Flash Thompson will also appear, with Blake Jenner in talks to play him. Daniel Zovatto and Charlie Rowe are in talks to play Harry Osborn.

THOR: RAGNAROK will feature Cate Blanchett as Hela and Surtur will be unleashed in the third actor. Josh Brolin will have an appearance as Thanos that leads directly into AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR.

Tessa Thompson is indeed playing Broomhilde, the warrior Valkyrie. She is Thor’s new romantic interest. It will be established Thor and Jane Foster’s relationship ended on amicable terms due to his responsibilities as the guardian of the Nine Realms preventing them from committing to a life together.

Villains of BLACK PANTHER are High Priest Achebe, Ulysses Klaue and M'Baku. Andy Serkis will reprise his role as Klaw. Martin Freeman is also reprising his role as Everett Ross.

Black Panther’s love interest will be Monica Lynne, reinvented as a political envoy employed by Ross. Other supporting characters are Shuri, T'Challa’s sister; N'Gassi, the royal adviser; Okoye, the leader of the Dora Milaje; Adenbi, Achebe’s loyal follower; and Jack Truman, Lynne’s handler.

Casting is still in early stages, but Marvel has already named Michael Jai White as one of the frontrunners for M'Baku, and had meetings with Gugu Mbatha-Raw, Nicole Beharie, Yaya DaCosta and Sharol Leal for the lead female roles, either Lynne or Shuri or both.

Carol Danvers will appear in AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR before CAPTAIN MARVEL, and Emily Blunt is lined up to play her. Emily Carmichel in talks to direct.

AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR - PART 1 will be renamed. First draft has recently been delivered. Apparently set on Earth and centered on the assembly of the Infinity Gauntlet.

ANT-MAN & THE WASP will feature the return of Janet Van Dyne and Scott Lang and Hope Van Dyne fighting an old enemy of Hank Pym’s past familiar with the Quantum Realm, but his identity hasn’t yet been determined.

AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR - PART 2 will be set in Space and feature the final battle against Thanos.

Chris Evans is expected to renew his contract for more CAPTAIN AMERICA movies in Phase 4. Robert Downey Jr., however, is not. although there’s renewed interest in IRON MAN 4 lately.

Sequels for GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY, DOCTOR STRANGE, BLACK PANTHER and SPIDER-MAN already in discussions. They’re being optimistic, but more reserved with CAPTAIN MARVEL.

SECRET INVASION and SIEGE are popular storylines that are being considered as overarching storylines of Phase 4 and beyond.

There is a plan for the potential return of the Fantastic Four to the MCU. However, there are no contingencies for the X-Men, which are unlikely to ever return. There is interest in Namor, too.

There is interest in the Sentry, Spider-Woman, Hercules, Photon, Nova. the Young Avengers and the Thunderbolts for Phase 4 and beyond.

BLACK WIDOW is actually of interest, but likely won’t happen in phase 3. Likewise, there’s been debate about a standalone WINTER SOLDIER movie.

There’s a running gag about producing a Supreme Squadron movie, but chances of it actually happening are virtually zero.
My thoughts on the non-sequel ones I care about
I REALLY don't want Osborn to be a major villain for Spidey yet. What's so great about MCU is how they make lesser known villains more popular, which is evident with Baron Zemo. AND **** YEAH GHOST RIDER AND MOON KNIGHT GETTING SHOWS!

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
My thoughts on the non-sequel ones I care about
I REALLY don't want Osborn to be a major villain for Spidey yet. What's so great about MCU is how they make lesser known villains more popular, which is evident with Baron Zemo. AND **** YEAH GHOST RIDER AND MOON KNIGHT GETTING SHOWS!
I think what it was getting at was that Osborn, while being antagonistic, won't be the main villain of the first film: that'll be the Vulture, I'm sure. A starter villain, really. Notice how it specified Norman Osborn and not Green Goblin. :p Plus, it said it was a multi-picture deal. I think, if this is true, they're saving Green Goblin as the main villain for like, the final film in a Spidey trilogy, with Osborn getting development over the course of three films. That's actually pretty good, I think.

And I'll be absolutely thrilled if Netflix Ghost Rider becomes a thing. I do wonder how they'll make that work with a smaller Netflix effect budget though...Ghost Rider's pretty effects heavy.

Sonic Boom 3DS's music is surprisingly good for the first few tracks. Not mind blowing but decent.
However, there are no contingencies for the X-Men, which are unlikely to ever return.

There is interest in the Young Avengers for Phase 4 and beyond.
Yo, what?

When I kind of phased out of my enjoyment of comics, this, Ultimate X men, and The Initiative were the last things I loved. I would love to see this, if only because I barely got to read any of it. :grin:

Moon Knight interests me too because that guy was weird in Spider Man: Web of Shadows. Would probably watch that.

PS If I want to get myself temporarily banned because I have no willpower* (finals week!) would I just ask a mod or go to forum support? Anyone know?

*Fable joke goes here

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I think what it was getting at was that Osborn, while being antagonistic, won't be the main villain of the first film: that'll be the Vulture, I'm sure. A starter villain, really. Notice how it specified Norman Osborn and not Green Goblin. :p Plus, it said it was a multi-picture deal. I think, if this is true, they're saving Green Goblin as the main villain for like, the final film in a Spidey trilogy, with Osborn getting development over the course of three films. That's actually pretty good, I think.

And I'll be absolutely thrilled if Netflix Ghost Rider becomes a thing. I do wonder how they'll make that work with a smaller Netflix effect budget though...Ghost Rider's pretty effects heavy.
Thank ****ing god.
Maybe Ghost Rider won't be a flaming skull, but a suit with a helmet

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Sonic Boom 3DS's music is surprisingly good for the first few tracks. Not mind blowing but decent.

Yo, what?

When I kind of phased out of my enjoyment of comics, this, Ultimate X men, and The Initiative were the last things I loved. I would love to see this, if only because I barely got to read any of it. :grin:

Moon Knight interests me too because that guy was weird in Spider Man: Web of Shadows. Would probably watch that.

PS If I want to get myself temporarily banned because I have no willpower* (finals week!) would I just ask a mod or go to forum support? Anyone know?

*Fable joke goes here
Just ask a mod and it'd be fine. :p Good luck with finals!

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo

I will accept Netflix Ghost Rider only if Nicolas Cage reprises the role.
Because it's not the same without him.

Red & Green

Just call me Red.
NNID
123Gallon
3DS FC
1332-8993-7355
Switch FC
1960-8956-3517
SPOILER IT FOR PEOPLE WHO DON'T WANT TO KNOW IN CASE IT'S REAL YA GREEN DOOFUS
Beat Kirby Fighters Deluxe! Shame the Very Hard unlockable is exclusive to multiplayer
Dedede's Drum Dash Deluxe all the way, though. I found it much more enjoyable than Kirby Fighters Deluxe, honestly. I mean, Very Hard isn't so hard when you use Archer, to me. Kinda just makes both Krako and Dedede a cakewalk.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
It mostly depends on how fans determine to separate the entries within each franchise. Like the Mega Man franchise, Nintendo counts Mario as both a whole and as separate entities in order to show specifics compared to Sonic which SEGA counts only as a whole. As such, comparing the two is pretty much impossible without some sort of agreement as to what individual games count towards the total.

I know you're just as passionate about Sonic as you are Rosalina, but we can't be both just re-live the early 90s and laugh at the fanboys fighting over Wikipedia now? :laugh:
I don't really see what there is to discuss though.

Fans can think what they want, but Nintendo recognises "Mario" and "Super Mario" as two separate brands, again because they legitimately have generational installments in both.

"Mario" is split up between Kart, Party, Tennis, etc, because they literally have "Mario" in the name and not "Super Mario", and each one gets generational installments. They're big enough to be their own franchises and they are intended appeal to a different demographic. As far as I know, Nintendo themselves never combine the numbers of "Mario" and "Super Mario" (my data for "Super Mario franchise" sales comes from Nintendo's own website).

Sonic, by contrast, doesn't have generational installments or anything like that in specific spin-off series', most spin-offs are a once off thing, maybe two games if the first does well (like with All-Star Racing). Most of Sonic's games tend to also be core series games, and even when they have a different genre, they sometimes are still part of Sonic's more defined canon (like Sonic Battle). And the naming is always simply "Sonic *insert name here*". SEGA don't have a derivative "Modern Sonic" and "Classic Sonic" brand, or anything of the sort to call for sales to be split up. Part of this is because Mario spin-offs are aimed at non-Mario fans, while Sonic spin-offs are aimed at actual Sonic fans and happen only every so often.

All I'm going by is official data.

This also has less to do with being a fan of this franchise or the other, and more with this being a pretty big moment in gaming history. It's amazing for ANY franchise to surpass Super Mario and Pokémon.

I really wish people would stop assuming I post facts only to circlejerk or something. I'm a gaming enthusiast and aspiring developer, first and foremost.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
So Tails, Knuckles, Eggman, Metal Sonic, and Ow the Edge confirmed?
Fixed.

As much as I love Amy, Metal Sonic is waaaaaaay more deserving that her despite debuting in the same game. Amy was nothing more than a damsel in distress (currently a side character that stalks Sonic) while Metal Sonic was introduced as the first villainous rival that ever gave Sonic a run for his money (And one of Eggman's best creations since the Death Egg and before the Egg Carrier). Before anyone says Knuckles, the red devil was misunderstood and acted more like a douche than a villain.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Fixed.

As much as I love Amy, Metal Sonic is waaaaaaay more deserving that her despite debuting in the same game. Amy was nothing more than a damsel in distress (currently a side character that stalks Sonic) while Metal Sonic was introduced as the first villainous rival that ever gave Sonic a run for his money (And one of Eggman's best creations since the Death Egg and before the Egg Carrier). Before anyone says Knuckles, the red devil was misunderstood and acted more like a douche than a villain.
Now let's think of over the top gimmicks for them and the roster is perfect.

SPOILER IT FOR PEOPLE WHO DON'T WANT TO KNOW IN CASE IT'S REAL YA GREEN DOOFUS
Beat Kirby Fighters Deluxe! Shame the Very Hard unlockable is exclusive to multiplayer
INB4 my real ban is for spoiler failure and not because I asked

YA GREEN DOOFUS
I may be a doofus, but my name is clearly not green. Some kind of purpely pink.

Also bye everyone! Time for my first (and hopefully only) ban. I'll be back around Thursday or Friday. If something crazy happens try to remember it fr when I inevitably ask what I missed. :chuckle:

See ya!

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
The more you know, you know? :p

even I didn't noticed
You know Hindi? :p

Is it wrong to not notice any of those things in a Disney movie?
To be fair, with the way he spoke it, I didn't pick it up immediately. It was only after I read the name that it dawned on me. And besides, you'd never catch the joke if you didn't know Hindi.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Now let's think of over the top gimmicks for them and the roster is perfect.
Knuckles: Maximum Heat (He gains more momentum and fire the more he fights)
Tails: Drones (He can create himself different machines with their own functions: attack, guard, turret, and anti-air)
Metal Sonic: Speedy Air Control (Unlike his organic rival, he has better flight capabilities with his speedy attacks. But fairly slow when on the ground)
Eggman: Lock-On (He locks on to his targets via Down Special where his projectiles would easily chase or attack his targets)
Shadow: Chaos Power (He has a variety of different attacks that slow down or freeze opponents based on the attack)

Did I do good?

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Knuckles: Maximum Heat (He gains more momentum and fire the more he fights)
Tails: Drones (He can create himself different machines with their own functions: attack, guard, turret, and anti-air)
Metal Sonic: Speedy Air Control (Unlike his organic rival, he has better flight capabilities with his speedy attacks. But fairly slow when on the ground)
Eggman: Lock-On (He locks on to his targets via Down Special where his projectiles would easily chase or attack his targets)
Shadow: Chaos Power (He has a variety of different attacks that slow down or freeze opponents based on the attack)

Did I do good?
I know what characters will be broken top tier. :troll:

Red & Green

Just call me Red.
NNID
123Gallon
3DS FC
1332-8993-7355
Switch FC
1960-8956-3517
I feel like if they ever were to add another sonic character to smash, Knuckles or Tails would be first in line. I mean, Knuckles would probably be AMAZING on any stage with walls on the edges, rather than just nothing. And I could definitely imagine him just zooming across the stage, being a heavy bruiser, but his recovery's ****. Basically I'd imagine Knuckles as a toned-down Little Mac. But just a bit more situational.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
How common are Portuguese dubs, btw (including Brazilian ones)?

India is in the middle of an anime boom, right now, which Doraemon, Ninja Hattori-kun and Crayon Shin-Chan being dominant. Even Kochikame (yes, that long running one) has a Hindi dub. I was pretty surprised that it wasn't in English.

Can't speak about Brazil other than that BR Portuguese dubs are more common than EU Portuguese dubs (AFAIK), so I'll speak of my own experience.

I believe I may have said this multiple times, but here, most dubs are mostly done for shows (animated or not) aimed at young audiences. There are dubs of anime like Pokémon, Yu-Gi-Oh!, Fairy Tail or Hayao Miyazaki's films, for example. Likewise, all of Disney's animated features are dubbed as well.

This goes for live-action films too: I remember watching the first Harry Potter film dubbed when I was a kid.

This is because the dubs are generally done under the mindset that the target audience still doesn't know how to read, or is still learning to do so and can't keep up with subs yet. In cinemas or DVD/Blu-ray releases, people are always given the option of sub and dub for features that get dubbed.

Actually, they even have a note in cinemas stating, with the exception of children movies, all films are shown in their original language with Portuguese subs. Anything foreign that isn't aimed specifically at the younger demographic very rarely gets a dub. Everyone is expected to handle subtitled content and general public opinion on the matter is subs > dubs due to preservation of the original language. Interviews with foreign people, foreign media of any kind... All of that is accompanied by subs.

I've seen in gaming websites people complaining about Japanese games being dubbed in English without the original Japanese audio followed by blaming Americans for imposing their culture on others'. Likewise, when some games get dubs in Portuguese, most people just say they'll play with the original audio (i.e. an American game in English).

Long story short, the overall mentality here is pretty much "dubs are for little kids who don't know yet how to read".

Despite all that, our dubs are actually quite well done. Sometimes, they even get well-known actors for major roles and a lot of people agree the dubs have good quality overall.

Yeah, the refugee crisis has contributed to a lot of divisive opinions and, along with the economical crisis a few years back, a rise of more extremist right-wing movements and increased nationalism.

Not so much here in Portugal as far as I can tell, but even so, I've seen people divided on whether to let or not let the refugees come here.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Add Sticks the Badger for muhrelevancy.

EDIT: Super Mario Kart has Super Mario in the name so it's a main game.
Super Mario Kart is an exception to the rule since it was planned as one game at a time where the Mario franchise was only really known as "Super Mario", but expanded to be the Mario Kart franchise because of it's popularity. Despite having "Super Mario" in the name, it's considered part of the "Mario Kart" franchise and does not factor into Super Mario franchise sales.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Can't speak about Brazil other than that BR Portuguese dubs are more common than EU Portuguese dubs (AFAIK), so I'll speak of my own experience.

I believe I may have said this multiple times, but here, most dubs are mostly done for shows (animated or not) aimed at young audiences. There are dubs of anime like Pokémon, Yu-Gi-Oh!, Fairy Tail or Hayao Miyazaki's films, for example. Likewise, all of Disney's animated features are dubbed as well.

This goes for live-action films too: I remember watching the first Harry Potter film dubbed when I was a kid.

This is because the dubs are generally done under the mindset that the target audience still doesn't know how to read, or is still learning to do so and can't keep up with subs yet. In cinemas or DVD/Blu-ray releases, people are always given the option of sub and dub for features that get dubbed.

Actually, they even have a note in cinemas stating, with the exception of children movies, all films are shown in their original language with Portuguese subs. Anything foreign that isn't aimed specifically at the younger demographic very rarely gets a dub. Everyone is expected to handle subtitled content and general public opinion on the matter is subs > dubs due to preservation of the original language. Interviews with foreign people, foreign media of any kind... All of that is accompanied by subs.

I've seen in gaming websites people complaining about Japanese games being dubbed in English without the original Japanese audio followed by blaming Americans for imposing their culture on others'. Likewise, when some games get dubs in Portuguese, most people just say they'll play with the original audio (i.e. an American game in English).

Long story short, the overall mentality here is pretty much "dubs are for little kids who don't know yet how to read".

Yeah, the refugee crisis has contributed to a lot of divisive opinions and, along with the economical crisis a few years back, a rise of more extremist right-wing movements and increased nationalism.

Not so much here in Portugal as far as I can tell, but even so, I've seen people divided on whether to let or not let the refugees come here.
Here in Brazil, almost every movie gets dubbed
Animations are only avaible dubbed on cinemas and big movies always have both options
It's rare for a movie to not get dubbed here, with some exceptions which are usually movies with an adult target audience(like drama movies for example)

Anime dubs are more rare nowadays but all the "big" animes had or have one(Pokemon still has one, DB had one and Naruto and One Piece had dubs that I believe were dropped) and even smaller ones(like Ghost Stories which had a serious dub)
I'm pretty sure there are other current dubs but I rarely watch TV nowadays so I can't tell much

Also, anything that comes to Netflix is dubbed, which means some shows take more time to get here because a dub is necessary, only under very specific circumstances do we get non-dubbed movies on it

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Here in Brazil, almost every movie gets dubbed
Animations are only avaible dubbed on cinemas and big movies always have both options
It's rare for a movie to not get dubbed here, with some exceptions which are usually movies with an adult target audience(like drama movies for example)

Anime dubs are more rare nowadays but all the "big" animes had or have one(Pokemon still has one, DB had one and Naruto and One Piece had dubs that I believe were dropped) and even smaller ones(like Ghost Stories which had a serious dub)
I'm pretty sure there are other current dubs but I rarely watch TV nowadays so I can't tell much

Also, anything that comes to Netflix is dubbed, which means some shows take more time to get here because a dub is necessary, only under very specific circumstances do we get non-dubbed movies on it
Basically, the exact opposite. :p

I knew that Brazilian Portuguese dubs were more common, but not to such an extent. lol

Speaking of Dragon Ball, I remember that it also had a European Portuguese dub back then, but nowadays it's broadcast in Japanese (with subs) in a channel aimed at teen audiences.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Personally I've always not minded the idea of dubs. I believe that as long as it's not completely bowdlerized (such as when 4Kids Americanize anything they can touch) or altered to the point that the original message is muddled or destroyed, dubs are okay.

Then again, I've grown up in a culture where you're kind of expected to have them (just look at all the American remakes of other movies). So maybe that's the reason why.

D

Deleted member

Everyone is doing music mods and I just want to know how to get them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom