• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
As much as I root for Ashley, I'm not really that confident in her chances anymore. She clearly had TWO games worth of hype/popularity to make the cut and it never happened. We all know Sakurai loves WarioWare much more than Wario Land so it's like he has something against her. And don't get me started on how fans of other WarioWare characters think she is "too overrated". Reminds me of the arguments against Geno in the past.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Arbitrary Fan Rule #18410
I don't see how it's not blatantly correct. What actual pacifists(by canon personality) fight in Smash? None. Isabelle specifically is about helping others, being an assistant. She fits her canon role beyond perfectly as of now.

Most other Assists actually make sense to fight. Takamaru, Waluigi, Tingle, Dark Samus, Ashley, Samurai Goroh, just for some examples. Popularity alone will not get someone in. Ridley is a prime example of this. His "too big" thing is pretty damn arbitrary, especially cause it doesn't fit his character to be "small". Balancing it right is a fair point, but that's really the only issue with his size.

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
I don't see how it's not blatantly correct. What actual pacifists(by canon personality) fight in Smash? None. Isabelle specifically is about helping others, being an assistant. She fits her canon role beyond perfectly as of now.

Most other Assists actually make sense to fight. Takamaru, Waluigi, Tingle, Dark Samus, Ashley, Samurai Goroh, just for some examples. Popularity alone will not get someone in. Ridley is a prime example of this. His "too big" thing is pretty damn arbitrary, especially cause it doesn't fit his character to be "small". Balancing it right is a fair point, but that's really the only issue with his size.
2 things 1 shes playable in mario kart ergo shes capeable of using blueshells and anyone with that kind of road rage isnt a pacifist
and 2 its widely accepted that your playing as toy vversions of the charact and not the actual characters so canon means nothing in this situation

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
2 things 1 shes playable in mario kart ergo shes capeable of using blueshells and anyone with that kind of road rage isnt a pacifist
and 2 its widely accepted that your playing as toy vversions of the charact and not the actual characters so canon means nothing in this situation
Ridley is a bit of proof of that not being true. He won't make him playable because it's basically too unbelievable for him.

Mario Kart is not canon either. It's also a racing game. Everybody still acts similar to how they act in one of their own official games. Unless she gets a mean streak in an actual Animal Crossing game, there's only pure pacifist to go with, in which she would never fight someone. It's not in her nature. Again, we know that Villager didn't make it in originally due to this as well, cause he wouldn't normally fight within his series. What made it possible is the fact he has no canon personality, and thus, anything could fit him due to this. It's just a matter of what personality a user wants to slap onto the character. Like Sakurai did with the more psycho/cute style.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Waluigi might have a chance if he appears in a main series title.

Or if they start doing stuff with Wario games again and put him in there.

Until then:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Inb4 Nabbit isn't a fighter and plain fodder.

:troll:
Even though this is a joke, let me tell you this. Nabbit has his own name, his species is unknown (yes he's a rabbit, but he looks much different than other rabbit species in the Mushroom Kingdom), he has his own identity, and he's not just an enemy you kill easily. Want to know what the definition of fodder is? THIS IS FODDER!

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Even though this is a joke, let me tell you this. Nabbit has his own name, his species is unknown (yes he's a rabbit, but he looks much different than other rabbit species in the Mushroom Kingdom), he has his own identity, and he's not just an enemy you kill easily. Want to know what the definition of fodder is? THIS IS FODDER!

The Shy Guy supporters are not going to like this.

Who am I kidding, TheFirstPoppyBros. is no longer active anymore.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I just hope they are actually going somewhere with Nabbit.

Maybe at least give him some personality.

Otherwise he'll feel like a really forced character if he's in everything. He's not even particularly popular at all as far as I know.

Burruni

Smash Hero
The UFO was her Persona?

What the heck? :laugh:
I thought that might be the case yesterday (namely because of her seeming to have some "chamber" she was acting from while in her heist outfit).
Now if only we got someone to be able to transcribe the name.

Edit:

Boo, Dry Bones, Hammer Bros, Blooper, and Spike have all been playable in Mario Party.
Nabbit hasn't.
Even fodder is a higher priority.

Last edited:

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
...you know what i want for an NX launch title
Super mario 3d world 2

hear me out on this 3d world brought back the abbility to play as characters other than mario luigi and toad with peach and rosalina
so why not go one step further and add 3 more characters? im of course refering to Daisy, Wario, and Waluigi (not gonna lie was thinking of having it be 5 new characters with yoshi and toadette being playable as well)

Wario would be the slowest character but his run would be able to damage enemies(shoulder tackle)
waluigi would be the fastest swimmer and be the second fastest character
daisy would be faster than peach but slower than mario and would have the best traction
in the hypothetical world where yoshi and toadette were playable
yoshi would have the ability to eat enemies and throw eggs (3 being the max and it would basically a baseball)
toadette slower than waluigi and have the third highest jump but be able to have a higher jump off of enemies

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I thought that might be the case yesterday (namely because of her seeming to have some "chamber" she was acting from while in her heist outfit).
Now if only we got someone to be able to transcribe the name.
I just noticed that the girl with the iron mask is missing her mask while riding that spectral motorcycle.

Perhaps that's her Persona? Or maybe Personas can transform into vehicles now?

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
The only Mario enemy I would be OK with as a fighter is Shy Guy, and maybe Koopa.

But if it's a Goomba or other impractical enemy (especially a damn Bullet Bill), then it can take a hike.

Burruni

Smash Hero
I just noticed that the girl with the iron mask is missing her mask while riding that spectral motorcycle.

Perhaps that's her Persona? Or maybe Personas can transform into vehicles now?
I think it's... part of her Persona.
The navigator having that kind of remote Persona functions fine.
I just feel like the bike is the main weapon OF her persona and she's channeling the persona to ride it, if that makes any sense.
I mean even pure physical persona still have buffs in their moveset and I can't see Atlus being ridiculous enough for a main persona being a bike that like pops a wheelie and revs for an animation to cast spells.

Edit: And I may be a bit too "inside the box" but if they couldn't make ascended forms of Cerberus and Castor in Persona Q, I feel like getting an upgrade to just a motorcycle seems like a bit beyond asking range.

Last edited:

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Nabbit is quite possibly the most out of nowhere thing to come out of the Mario series... and given the nature of the series, that's saying something.

He literally just shows up out of nowhere wearing Bowser Jr's scarf, steals a Toad house item and you get it back. That's all she wrote. Then he just sticks around. Never mind all the build up characters like Wario, Rosalina and the like got. Hell, even Waluigi had a more proper introduction, and that was a damn tennis game.

I'd be curious to see him built up more, but so long as Miyamoto is around I'm not holding my breath.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
yoshi would have the ability to eat enemies and throw eggs (3 being the max and it would basically a baseball)
Yoshi was actually planned for 3D World with this exact gimmick.

However, they cut him as he limited level design. There's various challenges in 3D World where you have to carry and throw an object at a Green Star or something, and Yoshi being able to generate throw-able objects at will kinda defeats the purpose of those. They also thought is Flutter Jump was too similar to Peach's float, and ultimately deemed him as a redundant addition.

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2013/11/07/6-things-we-learned-about-the-making-of-super-mario-3d-world

Motokura: We did think about including Yoshi, but I guess you could say that in this game there are certain abilities that are similar to what Yoshi could do. For example, there’s a piranha flower that you can carry and attack enemies with. Also, Peach has her floating jump. So we did include those elements in the game. We also like to bring up this other dinosaur character that’s called Plessie, that all four characters can ride at the same time to go through the stage. I love Yoshi as much as anybody else, but I also love this new character. The thing that you can experience with Plessie that’s totally new is that you can ride one animal, basically, using four different characters at the same time. That’s a new experience.
-------------

As for my ideal NX 3D Mario game, give me Galaxy 3 (it's the 10th anniversary of Galaxy too so even more reason), with more open level design, and Rosalina having her own unlockable story where her gameplay gimmick is being able to control the gravity of planets at will, rather than being under the mercy of a planet's natural gravity like Mario is.

Alternatively, give me a 3D Mario game with level design and exploration like Super Mario 64, but with 3D World's power-up system, multiple characters, and multiplayer (at least 2 players).

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
The only Mario enemy I would be OK with as a fighter is Shy Guy, and maybe Koopa.

But if it's a Goomba or other impractical enemy (especially a damn Bullet Bill), then it can take a hike.
Still couldn't believe some bloke from the now defunct SSF2 Expansion Forums thought turning living ammunition into a fighter was a good idea. But when three Mario enemies were completed before Waluigi or even Daisy, that's where the line needs to be drawn.

Good thing the forums are down and those wastes of sprites are gone for good. Though the bad news are the good expansions (Hitsugaya, Freiza, Amy Rose, Sukapon, Sketch Turner, etc) being dead along with it.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Nabbit is quite possibly the most out of nowhere thing to come out of the Mario series... and given the nature of the series, that's saying something.

He literally just shows up out of nowhere wearing Bowser Jr's scarf, steals a Toad house item and you get it back. That's all she wrote. Then he just sticks around. Never mind all the build up characters like Wario, Rosalina and the like got. Hell, even Waluigi had a more proper introduction, and that was a damn tennis game.

I'd be curious to see him built up more, but so long as Miyamoto is around I'm not holding my breath.
...I just realized that it is Junior's scarf.
WHEN'S THE LAST TIME BOWSER JR. HAD HIS SCARF?!

Edit: Crazy theorizing over. Junior's actually not had a real depiction without it.

Last edited:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Well, I'm sure Prime are good games. I at least enjoyed watching a "Let's Play" of it

I'd just enjoy a 2D metroid more
...You enjoyed watching someone else play but didn't enjoy actually playing it yourself? I don't get it...this is something I could say about Other M because of the frustratingly terrible control set-up (ignoring the crappy cutscenes of course), but the Primes provide a much more hands-on experience just with the Scan Visor alone...

Either it's your prerogative if you prefer the 2d games over the Primes...you may not have infinite jumps and wall jumping is limited compared to the 2D games (which is a good thing because any player would break the game way too easily), and other than in Prime 3, beam upgrades don't stack...but overall they still provide a solid Metroid experience, very much like the 2D games you're traversing through unknown alien environments poking and prodding the different areas trying to uncover hidden secrets and using new power-ups to progress through other areas you couldn't before...

Perhaps it's just me as I find 3D environments much more engaging...

Fenriraga

Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
...I just realized that it is Junior's scarf.
WHEN'S THE LAST TIME BOWSER JR. HAD HIS SCARF?!
...BJ has his scarf in NSMBU as well. :V

Literally just a second scarf. I don't get it either.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Still couldn't believe some bloke from the now defunct SSF2 Expansion Forums thought turning living ammunition into a fighter was a good idea. But when three Mario enemies were completed before Waluigi or even Daisy, that's where the line needs to be drawn.

Good thing the forums are down and those wastes of sprites are gone for good. Though the bad news are the good expansions (Hitsugaya, Freiza, Amy Rose, Sukapon, Sketch Turner, etc) being dead along with it.
Don't get me started on the damn Buzzy Beetle, which is the laziest Mario fighter in existence. Or the Bandit, which is just a Shy Guy subspecies that steals.

Shame we missed out on those characters too. Sukapon, Hitsugaya, and Not!Beerus The Strongest Being in the Universe characters that I really looked forward to downloading in Super Smash Flash 2.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
My theory on Nabbit has been that he was a robotic creation made by Bowser Jr that he designed to be a play mate (given in his newly revealed loneliness in Paper Jam), but Nabbit went rogue the moment he was powered on.

Basically a failed experiment.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442

I wish enemies would randomly appear from crates again like in Melee.
It was the most hilarious thing when it happened.

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
Yoshi was actually planned for 3D World with this exact gimmick.

However, they cut him as he limited level design. There's various challenges in 3D World where you have to carry and throw an object at a Green Star or something, and Yoshi being able to generate throw-able objects at will kinda defeats the purpose of those. They also thought is Flutter Jump was too similar to Peach's float, and ultimately deemed him as a redundant addition.

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2013/11/07/6-things-we-learned-about-the-making-of-super-mario-3d-world

-------------

As for my ideal NX 3D Mario game, give me Galaxy 3 (it's the 10th anniversary of Galaxy too so even more reason), with more open level design, and Rosalina having her own unlockable story where her gameplay gimmick is being able to control the gravity of planets at will, rather than being under the mercy of a planet's natural gravity like Mario is.

Alternatively, give me a 3D Mario game with level design and exploration like Super Mario 64, but with 3D World's power-up system, multiple characters, and multiplayer (at least 2 players).
huh well then i guss the idea i had while getting food just now can replace yoshi and its Bowser Jr

again youll have to hear me out on this in this hypothetical game the first world would be about mario luigi toad and peach finding out bowser stormed the castle while they were away(perhaps a picnic) and after you win the first world boss(bowser) a key falls off of bowser and its revealed that jr is in a cage tatanga and wart warp in and kidnap bowser and thus beings the rest of the game as bowser jr joins you to save his dad (the final boss of this would be tatanga, wart, and a king boo posesed bowser)
bowser jr would be intresting as he would not be able to gain power ups beyond the mushroom but in exchange he would be able to always shoot fireballs (this gets rid of 2 of yoshis problems being the eating of things and being too similar to peach)

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Nabbit is probably just in New Super Mario Bros. U to add an extra twist to the game. He really isn't all that important to begin with anyway.

Anyway, on another subject, whenever I see a Princess Peach drawing like the one below, it just feels sad knowing that she hardly ever looks that good in most of her game appearances.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Nabbit is probably just in New Super Mario Bros. U to add an extra twist to the game. He really isn't all that important to begin with anyway.

Anyway, on another subject, whenever I see a Princess Peach drawing like the one below, it just feels sad knowing that she hardly ever looks that good in most of her game appearances.

In that art style, she looks straight out of a generic harem anime with moe girls and loads of fanservice. lol

Fenriraga

Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
My theory on Nabbit has been that he was a robotic creation made by Bowser Jr that he designed to be a play mate (given in his newly revealed loneliness in Paper Jam), but Nabbit went rogue the moment he was powered on.

Basically a failed experiment.
Careful there, sport. Too much story and details will fry poor Miyamoto's circuits.

D

Deleted member

I don't see how it's not blatantly correct
It's a rule Sakurai never stated, you created it
You cannot claim he follows a rule you just made up
And this is no pattern, the lack of something doesn't constitute one
Does the fact there are no Rock type Pokemon in Smash mean no Rock Pokemon will ever be playable?
What actual pacifists(by canon personality) fight in Smash?
If by "pacifist' you mean "does not fight", then we have Villager himself and the Yoga teacher
If by "pacifist" you mean "pacifist", there are a lot, but the best example would be Snake
What made it possible is the fact he has no canon personality, and thus, anything could fit him due to this. It's just a matter of what personality a user wants to slap onto the character
No, what made it possible was the fact Sakurai changed his mind
He never once said he added Villager because he had no canon personality

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
In that art style, she looks straight out of a generic harem anime with moe girls and loads of fanservice. lol
This. Because we all know Peach is a low B cup at best. :troll:

Though the same can't be said for the other princesses, especially Busty Daisy.

Fenriraga

Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
The moral of the story is you could never force me to physically harm Isabelle, so don't you dare put her in Smash. :V

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
I just hope they are actually going somewhere with Nabbit.

Maybe at least give him some personality.

Otherwise he'll feel like a really forced character if he's in everything. He's not even particularly popular at all as far as I know.
Petey Piranha and the Koopalings were forced,
Nabbit just appears multiple times.

Big difference

I don't need him to appear in everything, just every Mario Kart and NSMB from here now on.

I feel build-up is impossible in the Mario series, at least not in the sense of family dramas and in-depth personality, but maybe he'll take of his mask one day.
That's all I need and probably all build-up we're gonna get.

Honestly I'm shocked Nabbit is a character that was ever brought back and that he's stuck this far.
I thought he was going to go the way of Boom Boom (Pre 3D Land)
I just need him to survive the switch to NX and not fall of the earth after a new console like Petey's fat face did.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Does the fact there are no Rock type Pokemon in Smash mean no Rock Pokemon will ever be playable?

If by "pacifist' you mean "does not fight", then we have Villager himself and the Yoga teacher
If by "pacifist" you mean "pacifist", there are a lot, but the best example would be Snake

And if you wanna get kinda technical and go further, what made Sakurai change his mind was likely the fact that Animal Crossing is huge and was the biggest Nintendo series to not have a character. :p

There's no reason Isabelle can't be playable. She's too huge of a character to leave out next time, IMO. Have her attack by not attacking: fishing pole recovery, other specials deal with creating public works that act to terraform the stage, and have her smash attacks be things like dropping a giant pile of paperwork. Throw in some fruit moves with varying effects (like a Durian that emits noxious fumes for a damage over time attack) and bam. It's incredibly easy to envision how Isabelle could work.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
User was warned for this post
This. Because we all know Peach is a low B cup at best. :troll:

Though the same can't be said for the other princesses, especially Busty Daisy.
Been looking through the old Daisy thread eh? :p

But you got to love how inconsistent Mario is at times, even with the princesses' bust sizes. Daisy always had the same size as Peach only to suddenly get "bigger" (complete with slight jiggle physics) in Mario Party 10. But this isn't the only time it happened in the Mario universe (Valentina and Flurrie says hi!).

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Crappy strawmans are crappy. And pattern is significantly more of a rule than none. Pokemon types are also clearly not relevant anyway since that's the only diversity to give other than unique movesets for them. You also know it's a horrible comparison because evidence shows that those who would do no violence(within their canon personality) are not playable, but those who have the potential to do so within their personality are. Or have no personality to speak of(this includes Villager) and cannot work as an example. Remember, Sakurai said the series was more peaceful, but why would that apply to a player-controlled character? Tom Nook is more logical because of his clearly greedy nature. He does not seem like a peaceful person, and just happens to not fight more or less. We don't see anything to suggest he's truly a pacifist in personality.

Villager is not canonically a pacifist. He has no canon personality. That's the point. Wii Fit Trainer is a better example, though. However, a good reason was given for her to fight. She wants to show the world how powerful Yoga can be. This still doesn't speak anywhere near why Isabelle would ever once fight. It's not in her nature. Also, nothing suggests Wii Fit Trainer is specifically a pacifist in personality. Just that she enjoys exercising. It's still a false equivalence. Snake? You mean the guy who kills? Bull.

And if Villager was a canon character that was purely peaceful, his chances would've been significantly less. He does confirm to their canon personalities quite a bit. This still applies to Ridley, as he refuses to make him out of character. Nobody feels notoriously out of character whatsoever in Smash. Isabelle is perfect as an Assist since it 100% fits her personality. She's not one to fight, and she's also one that a lot of people wouldn't want to attack. She makes no real sense as a fighter. There's just plain better characters in Animal Crossing that have more violent tendencies alone(again, Tom Nook is a superior choice due to this alone). Logic wins over popularity sometimes too.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Apparently it's that time of the week again! Another Disney Infinity leak. :p

The last one was listing-only, but now we have a picture of the Nemo figure. It's actually really cute!
Love the fact that he's propped up on an anemone. Disney Infinity figures have a ton of work put into them. I wish something similar was done for certain Smash amiibo...looking at you, pee-colored-stick Link.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom