• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Isabelle is the Rosalina of Animal Crossing, but in a seriously bad and forced way.

Does Tom Nook not exist to fans anymore?

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Saw Civil War last night.
Holy crap, it's good.
Like, hot diggety, it is so dang good. Best Marvel movie, beating out my previous favorite, Guardians of the Galaxy.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
But what about KK Slider? Doesn't he exist to fans anymore?

Inb4 "But he's just a stage hazard and a very important gimmick for all Animal Crossing stages".

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I'm seeing it tonight.

Very excited to see the new Spider-Man. Glad he actually looks like a highschool kid now.

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
Isabelle is the Rosalina of Animal Crossing, but in a seriously bad and forced way.

Does Tom Nook not exist to fans anymore?
Apparently not. Seriously, I can understand if you think Isabelle is the next big AC character, which is true, but anyone who says she's more important than Nook, who's had just as big of a role as she had in the one game she appeared, when Nook's been around for far longer, they're just flat out wrong.

:094:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
But what about KK Slider? Doesn't he exist to fans anymore?

Inb4 "But he's just a stage hazard and a very important gimmick for all Animal Crossing stages".
Unless Alfonzo will magically appear on Saturday nights, KK will stay where is is.

Nook matters the most when it comes to Animal Crossing, even if we acknowledge the Doggy Waifu's existence.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Unless Alfonzo will magically appear on Saturday nights, KK will stay where he is.

Nook matters the most when it comes to Animal Crossing, even if we acknowledge the Doggy Waifu's existence.
Rats, I guess Kapp'n is also off limits for that reason too. :(

LOL Doggy Waifu is a pretty funny name for a character who's known for cuteness instead of sexiness (furries be damned).

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Nice headcanon you have there, but don't use it as an argument please.

Because then there's my headcanon:
Isabelle is a NSA agent that is an expert in origami-fighting (the act of inflicting paper cuts on opponents)

See, Isabelle is fine too!
It would be a headcanon if I didn't remember reading it said by Sakurai himself. I'm trying to find where it was, but I didn't make it up whatsoever. I've had no reason to.

It also still fits more than the crap you're spewing about Isabelle. And I emphasize the term 'crap'. She's a 100% pacifist who would not harm a fly. An apologetic fighter would work pretty badly, honestly. There's still better choices. Tom Nook and Resetti are easily superior ones because they have at least violent tendencies.

D

Deleted member

EDIT: I thought my post hadn't been posted whoops

Last edited by a moderator:

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
It's a rule Sakurai never stated, you created it
You cannot claim he follows a rule you just made up
And this is no pattern, the lack of something doesn't constitute one
Does the fact there are no Rock type Pokemon in Smash mean no Rock Pokemon will ever be playable?

If by "pacifist' you mean "does not fight", then we have Villager himself and the Yoga teacher
If by "pacifist" you mean "pacifist", there are a lot, but the best example would be Snake

No, what made it possible was the fact Sakurai changed his mind
He never once said he added Villager because he had no canon personality
bruh did you just post the same thing three times or is my Smashboards acting up

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Petey Piranha and the Koopalings were forced,
Nabbit just appears multiple times.

Big difference

I don't need him to appear in everything, just every Mario Kart and NSMB from here now on.
I don't see how the Koopalings were forced at all. They're classic characters from the original trilogy that went away for a good number of years, and then they brought them back when they made NSMB, a series that's supposed to call back to the original games. Then they got into Mario Kart because they honestly make sense for that game (let's be real, there aren't many memorable characters left to add to Mario Kart before going into crossover territory), and Smash because there was an easy, quick way to slap them in as Bowser Jr alts. I mean they don't even have to be reanimated since their anatomy is so similar to Jr's.

Other than that, they just sort of showed up in Paper Jam which didn't feel forced because they at least tried to do something with them. At least they had dialogue and tangible personalities, even if it wasn't particularly interesting.

And Petey is odd in that he just shows up whenever. He's not prominent, but he's not a forgotten character either. He shows up in stuff, but with no consistency, and usually as a minor character. And again, at least has some personality.

Nabbit is a case I just don't get though. Stuff like Mario Kart is fine since everyone is in that, and NSMB is where he debuted so he should continue to show up there. But Nintendo seems to be using him very prominently in other things too, even in marketing and I don't get why. He's a character that it's hard to feel anything other than indifference for. He doesn't do anything particularly noteworthy, even in his debut game (where it's entirely possible to finish the game without interacting with him, as catching him is optional, and most people seem to do that - I only chased him once or twice myself because it didn't feel worth it to bother). He has no real personality and character, and doesn't even have a real voice of any kind. He doesn't even have facial expressions because of his outfit. Mario characters may not often be particularly interesting, but they at least always have these basic traits the make them likable.

If he was somehow really popular DESPITE all of the above, then it wouldn't matter, as he's still marketable. But he isn't. People don't hate him, he's just...there. Like I said, it's hard for most people to feel anything other than indifference for him, so pushing him for marketing seems forced.

Last edited:

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
Unless Alfonzo will magically appear on Saturday nights, KK will stay where is is.
This post is so contradicting it hurts. Characters who are the background can easily be replaced or not show up at all, the best examples being Toon Link and Alfonzo, like you just pointed out, or King Dedede in Dreamland who doesn't show up in the background is he is one of the fighters.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
bruh did you just post the same thing three times or is my Smashboards acting up
Gotta be acting up. I already replied to his original post. Or he did accidentally click "Post Reply" 3 times, but I doubt that could happen. Maybe two accidental posts, but errors aren't that ridiculously common.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
This post is so contradicting it hurts. Characters who are the background can easily be replaced or not show up at all, the best examples being Toon Link and Alfonzo, like you just pointed out, or King Dedede in Dreamland who doesn't show up in the background is he is one of the fighters.
So cut one of the few things that made the AC stages interesting? Gotcha.

But Nook is still likelier than the lone dog musician.

wedl!!

Goddess of Storms
NNID
Plushies4Ever
Anyways to get off the topic of Assist Trophy upgrades Overwatch is amazing and Lucio is the pinnacle of the burst healer archetype.

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
unless your making the fire starter start with a fighting type having the first route be a cave is kinda BS
I have actually seen a few games where the starter's are designed as a difficulty setting. Most notably sage. In it, the region is super icy, and everything up to the first gym is all based around ice. Most of the mons are part ice, and then there are rock types to. The grass starter is grass and then flying when it evolves. Which makes it very hard to use them. Fire is easy mode, and the water is more normal. Don't think it's a route I'd go,m

I wouldn't add the cave at the very beginning, your area is fine, but maybe add two or three routes and a town before the cave. I played one like that where it started in a rocky area and then went straight to a cave and I hated it. Granted, the cave was super long and there was nowhere where I could heal, so it could have just been poor design on the creators part.
I wouldn't put the two houses so close to the walls or the ledges tbh...

instead of having just a cave how about two alternate paths one is a normal grass route and the other being the cave, the player has a choice to go either way, perhaps you could have an NPC tell you "Don't go into the cave it's too dangerous!" and the player could go anyway if they wanted to...
I've been slowly realizing the world of Phoenix Wright is biased against defense lawyers
"Your honor, the witness has been constantly lying"
"So?"
"How can she be trusted then?"
"...Mr. Wright, I think you should focus on the facts before presenting them"
"But your honor! How can this trial go on if the only evidence against my client is a lying witness?"
"I think I'll have to penalize you for this"
"Wha--"
*loses last !*
"Alright, I declare the defendant... guilty!"
"WHAT THE HELL"

I like it, but as others said, it might be too early for a cave
Or you could still make a cave except with the Rattatas and Pidgeys and the like instead of the Geodudes and Zubats
Just don't make it too long

Fancy Party, of course
You just get tired of wearing a costume in a Costume Party and don't even look good
And the first is more organized
I probably should have clarified, but the cave wouldn't be super long, more of a short passage. So it shouldn't be to hard. I'll see when I map it out though how it looks and go from there. I'll fix the houses though, thanks for the suggestion.

http://www.pokemon.co.jp/ex/sun_moon/?a001=msign

In unexpected news. New Pokemon and Sun moon info May 10th finally.
I kind of expected this. I figured we would get the news before corocoro as it hinted last month, but as the week went on and we got loser to it's leaking date, I wasn't sure if it would happen. Glad it is though. I'm expecting at least the legend, but I don't think the starters or a full trailer is out of the question.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Anyways to get off the topic of Assist Trophy upgrades Overwatch is amazing and Lucio is the pinnacle of the burst healer archetype.
I saw him and thought one thing:

"Jet Set Radio".

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
If only Jet Set Radio Wii didn't get cancelled in favor of House of the Dead Overkill.

It would have been tight as hell.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Just what exactly is Culdcept Revolt? Never even heard of that game before.
For what it's worth Golden Sun might have a promising future given the possibility of Isaac doing fairly well in the Smash Ballot...if Nintendo actually takes this as an indication that fans want more Golden Sun...Andy likely didn't do nearly as well, and with IS focusing on Fire Emblem now it's hard to say what Advance Wars' future is like...
I really hope your right with this lol. We really have no idea what the Ballot was like aside from Bayonetta so it's really hard to grasp what characters were higher up but maybe just maybe Isaac got higher up on the Ballot with his popularity and stuff and that enticed Nintendo to get Camelot working on GS4. No concrete evidence yeah but i'd like to hope for that. As for Andy I doubt he'd do as well as Isaac on the Ballot but he has the advantage of being apart of a series that has a very long history of being on Nintendo consoles that even pre-dates Fire Emblem so that's a major positive. Intelligent Systems was also stated to be thinking about the Advance Wars series all the time so the series isn't dead despite it's last release in 2008.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
I don't see how the Koopalings were forced at all. They're classic characters from the original trilogy that went away for a good number of years, and then they brought them back when they made NSMB, a series that's supposed to call back to the original games. Then they got into Mario Kart because they honestly make sense for that game (let's be real, there aren't many memorable characters left to add to Mario Kart before going into crossover territory), and Smash because there was an easy, quick way to slap them in as Bowser Jr alts. I mean they don't even have to be reanimated since their anatomy is so similar to Jr's.

Other than that, they just sort of showed up in Paper Jam which didn't feel forced because they at least tried to do something with them. At least they had dialogue and tangible personalities, even if it wasn't particularly interesting.

And Petey is odd in that he just shows up whenever. He's not prominent, but he's not a forgotten character either. He shows up in stuff, but with no consistency, and usually as a minor character. And again, at least has some personality.

Nabbit is a case I just don't get though. Stuff like Mario Kart is fine since everyone is in that, and NSMB is where he debuted so he should continue to show up there. But Nintendo seems to be using him very prominently in other things too, even in marketing and I don't get why. He's a character that it's hard to feel anything other than indifference for. He doesn't do anything particularly noteworthy, even in his debut game (where it's entirely possible to finish the game without interacting with him, as catching him is optional, and most people seem to do that - I only chased him once or twice myself because it didn't feel worth it to bother). He has no real personality and character, and doesn't even have a real voice of any kind. He doesn't even have facial expressions because of his outfit. Mario characters may not often be particularly interesting, but they at least always have these basic traits the make them likable.

If he was somehow really popular DESPITE all of the above, then it wouldn't matter, as he's still marketable. But he isn't. People don't hate him, he's just...there. Like I said, it's hard for most people to feel anything other than indifference for him, so pushing him for marketing seems forced.
I don't know a game where Nabbjt is used "prominently", forced in or pushed for marketing.
Koopalings where used prominently and where pushed in every game they were in (KOOPLINGS ARE BACK)

I feel Nabbit's power lies in the fact he's so mysterious, having no voice, wearing a costume all the time etc.

Nabbit does have facial expressions through his suit, unlike non Captain Toad who can only smile for some reason.
Facial expressions in Mario don't tend to be more than anger, sadness and happiness anyway.

Nabbit also has a personality.
He's cocky and "outruns everybody", having the hubris to go loot Bowser Castle itself.
But if he's almost caught, he shows fear and anxiety, before getting overconfident again when he's not in trouble.

Paper Jam showed a lot of his personality, even if he doesn't "have a real voice"

No, there's no incentive to chase Nabbit, but that's due to the role he has in that game, not the character.
Debut game isn't indicative for the character.
Captain Toads debut role was also "just being there" but he outgrew that.
Same with Nabbit.

Not everybody gets his own backstory from the get-go :4pacman:

Speaking of Rosalina, I feel Nabbit is her polar opposite.
One brought a lot of story with her and has more personality than every Mario character ever, safe maybe Bowser.
The other has no story, and no visible personality.

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Note how there is 69 votes for Swamp in the current thread poll. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Just what exactly is Culdcept Revolt? Never even heard of that game before.
Back in my day when I had a Sega Saturn, Culdcept was more of a card playing tactical video game by Omiya Soft. Subsequent games had been published by Nintendo or Sega depending on the platform.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Crappy strawmans are crappy. And pattern is significantly more of a rule than none.
It is not
A pattern is not present nor is it a better rule than none
There are no rules
Just what Sakurai thinks
Pokemon types are also clearly not relevant anyway since that's the only diversity to give other than unique movesets for them. You also know it's a horrible comparison because evidence shows that those who would do no violence(within their canon personality) are not playable, but those who have the potential to do so within their personality are.
There is no evidence to suggest a "pacifist" character wouldn't be playable
Your logic is based on the fact there aren't any but as I said, the lack of sometjing does not constutute a pattern
Or have no personality to speak of(this includes Villager) and cannot work as an example. Remember, Sakurai said the series was more peaceful, but why would that apply to a player-controlled character? Tom Nook is more logical because of his clearly greedy nature. He does not seem like a peaceful person, and just happens to not fight more or less. We don't see anything to suggest he's truly a pacifist in personality.
This is a big jump in logic
Just because Tom Nook is greedy(which is not even true considering he waits as much as necessary for you to pay him, people just like to exaggerate) doesn't mean he would harm people
He's not shown fighting but not indicates he can or cannot
Villager is not canonically a pacifist. He has no canon personality. That's the point.
You meant pacifist as "does not fight"
Villager never fights in AC
Thus he's a pacifist
Wii Fit Trainer is a better example, though. However, a good reason was given for her to fight. She wants to show the world how powerful Yoga can be. This still doesn't speak anywhere near why Isabelle would ever once fight. It's not in her nature.
If a reason to fight is needed(which is stupid because these are just characters in a game with no story), then just give a reason to Isabelle
I don't care what but if it means something to some people then Sakurai could always make up somethibg
Snake? You mean the guy who kills? Bull.
You mean the guy who actively tries to use non-lethal means in his missions?
"Canonically", Snake always tries to prevent pointless killing and wants to achieve peace. Killing the enemiesbis a non-canonical option for the player
And yeah, I think you don't know what pacifist means
They may be opposed to violence but it does not mean they won't resort to it if all else fails
Another example would be Corrin, even if done somewhat badly
And if Villager was a canon character that was purely peaceful, his chances would've been significantly less.
Uh, that's exactly why Sakurai discarded him in Brawl
Because AC is peaceful he thought it wouldn't be a good fit
But as seen in Smash 4, he changed his mind on his opinion
Isabelle is perfect as an Assist since it 100% fits her personality.
This is certainly not subjective
she's also one that a lot of people wouldn't want to attack.
That only becomes a problem if Sakurai doesn't want her to attack
She makes no real sense as a fighter. There's just plain better characters in Animal Crossing
Subjective and subjective
that have more violent tendencies alone(again, Tom Nook is a superior choice due to this alone).
Wow, alright, uh... how exactly does ANYONE in AC has any violent tendencies?
Logic wins over popularity sometimes too.
Logic said FE doesn't deserve 6 characters
Logic said Wolf would come back
Logic said a lot of things that don't mean anything to Sakurai
My internet was acting up
I thought it didn't got sent and tried to post it again when it came back but it stopped working and I thought it wasn't sent. Then I attempted it again after it started working again before realizing my two last attempts had worked
So... whoops?

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
My internet was acting up
I thought it didn't got sent and tried to post it again when it came back but it stopped working and I thought it wasn't sent. Then I attempted it again after it started working again before realizing my two last attempts had worked
So... whoops?
Ah, gotcha.

Ah, gotcha.

Ah, gotcha.

:troll:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Back in my day when I had a Sega Saturn, Culdcept was more of a card playing tactical video game by Omiya Soft. Subsequent games had been published by Nintendo or Sega depending on the platform.
Wasn't much of a Sega guy growing up so I didn't know that. Kinda weird how it has a Direct dedicated to that game.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Nabbit also has a personality.
He's cocky and "outruns everybody", having the hubris to go loot Bowser Castle itself.
But if he's almost caught, he shows fear and anxiety, before getting overconfident again when he's not in trouble.
What you are describing here is not personality, just basic emotion, even describing the specific instances of said emotions. They aren't one in the same.

A character can show no emotion, but tons of personality (kinda like a certain character in an anime I just watched), and vice versa. Nabbit has emotion (through body language) but no personality. He doesn't have an identity. Which may be intentional due to the mask and all, but it makes it harder to form an attachment or find him interesting.

Also I don't think I've ever seen an official game give Nabbit any facial expressions "through his mask", and I've seen all of his appearances. Fan art has found creative ways of doing it, but that's fan art.

Also ironically, Nabbit doesn't really outrun people because Mario can catch him. In NSMBU, the challenge in catching him comes from the fact he is an A.I that perfectly navigates the course, but he actually runs slower than Mario, so a decent speed runner can easily catch him. In NSLU, he's just invincible for some reason, so while he can theoretically navigate the course faster, it's not because he's actually faster than the other characters. Later games try to make him more genuinely fast but Mario seems to be able to catch up just the same in most cases.

No, there's no incentive to chase Nabbit, but that's due to the role he has in that game, not the character.
Debut game isn't indicative for the character.
Captain Toads debut role was also "just being there" but he outgrew that.
Same with Nabbit.
Captain Toad had a tangible personality in his debut game, though, and people liked him for it. Thus, he gained an identity and a fan base, and that lead to him getting more prominent roles (or at least made the fact he got those roles feel like a natural step).

Nabbit was literally just there when he debuted with no tangible personality, which is why his showing up in other games, marketing, and even other franchises now (Star Fox) comes off as forced.

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Wasn't much of a Sega guy growing up so I didn't know that. Kinda weird how it has a Direct dedicated to that game.
Plenty of games have had Directs dedicated to them, so I don't see how is that weird.

Speaking of Culdcept, the new Smash games have some content from the series. As far as I remember, there's trophy on the 3DS version and a song on the Wii U version.

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Plenty of games have had Directs dedicated to the game, so I don't see how is that weird.

Speaking of Culdcept, the new Smash games have some content from the series. As far as I remember, there's trophy on the 3DS version and a song on the Wii U version.
Hooligan the Staff was a trophy and we had one of the battle themes from the DS Culdcept in the game. This makes me wonder if the series truly got more popular than it original was in the past. Because we definitely got the Xbox 360 game internationally thanks to Sega while Nintendo grew stingy with the handheld titles.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I know people aren't the biggest fans of the BitBlock here, but this is kinda funny.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Because we definitely got the Xbox 360 game internationally thanks to Sega while Nintendo grew stingy with the handheld titles.
I bet Nintendo of America's excuse would have been "card based video games aren't popular in the West". When little do they know that Yugioh is still making moolah off video games and anime easily.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Fan rules are back?

Judging by how these things work, I think this means Isabelle's chances shot up tenfold. :troll:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Fan rules are back?

Judging by how these things work, I think this means Isabelle's chances shot up tenfold. :troll:
Fans: "But spinoff characters are unimportant, therefore they can never be in Smash."

Sakurai: "Just because you try hard doesn't mean you'll be in." *laughs* :troll:

Waluigi:
"Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom