• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
In that art style, she looks straight out of a generic harem anime with moe girls and loads of fanservice. lol
I guess the main dilemma that I've noticed is that Peach never looked all that appealing in a lot of her game appearances, and yet there are drawings that make her look a whole lot better. Art styles like the one that I posted earlier at least try to make Peach look cute and attractive.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Fan rules are back?

Judging by how these things work, I think this means Isabelle's chances shot up tenfold. :troll:
They never went away.

Veterans will beg and plead, but a new generation will always bring back subjectivity and call it objectivity.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
RIP Boaty McBoatface

They decided to overrule the public vote and name the ship the RSS David Attenborough instead. Democracy is dead. Sunk. Hopes and dreams, dashed.

Though they're apparently naming a remote-operated submarine-type vehicle Boaty McBoatface instead, so...it's something I guess. And apparently now there's a petition for David Attenborough himself to change his name to Boaty McBoatface so they'll rename the ship. :laugh:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Like anyone would name a boat "Boaty McBoatface". Democracy is a sham. :laugh:

But I find it hilarious that they named a submarine "Boaty McBoatface".

D

Deleted member

New Johnny review
Yeah I know I'm one day late but I didn't see anyone posting it anyways
And Chugga is it!
:troll:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I'm not a misanthrope or anything, but it was a pretty stupid idea to let the INTERNET (scum of humanity) name anything.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I guess the main dilemma that I've noticed is that Peach never looked all that appealing in a lot of her game appearances, and yet there are drawings that make her look a whole lot better. Art styles like the one that I posted earlier at least try to make Peach look cute and attractive.
Well, when it has an art style that looks straight out of a harem anime, of course any female character is going to look more attractive. The bigger eyes, facial blushing, bigger breasts... It's all there.

I've never watched any sort of harem anime, as it's not my kind of genre, but I do read some manga with some ecchi elements that follow exactly that same kind of art direction. It's a cliché at this point.

Besides, it's not like the Mario series thrives on such kind of sex appeal. In fact, it's one of the few Japanese franchises that overall has managed to stay away from most of the general tendencies of modern anime and manga.

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Right, does Mario need sex appeal?

Rosalina doesn't count.
Even so, Rosalina is rather tame compared to what I've seen in some shounen manga.

In fact, she's tamer than several of other female characters in Smash. I mean, it's the game that has Zero Suit Samus, Palutena and Bayonetta alongside her. Those three characters have a lot of deliberate sex appeal tropes.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Even so, Rosalina is rather tame compared to what I've seen in some shounen manga.

In fact, she's tamer than several of other female characters in Smash. I mean, it's the game that has Zero Suit Samus, Palutena and Bayonetta alongside her. Those three characters have a lot of deliberate sex appeal tropes.
It was just a acerbic jab. :laugh:

Agreed though. Sex sells, am I right?

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Besides, it's not like the Mario series thrives on such kind of sex appeal. In fact, it's one of the few Japanese franchises that overall has managed to stay away from most of the general tendencies of modern anime and manga.
I find it ironic you comfortably say this given that Peach's personality is literally a run of the mill moe blob in most cases, and was literally designed to be put into the average teenagers wet dream (being kidnapped by a monster and saved by a hero - whether you are the monster or the hero is up to your preference in kinks, really).

And she often has her panties modeled in, wearing very short skirts.

And considering how Peach, Daisy, and Rosalina each blatantly represent the three female versions of the 3 human anatomy types.

Rosalina is mesomorph (though could also be considered meso-endomorph - varies from game to game as they have to change her size in some games).
Daisy is endomorph.
Peach is ectomorph.

The only difference between characters like the Mario females and the FE females or Bayonetta is that the former do not display their own sexuality that much, while the latter does.

In terms of Peach though, she actually is outwardly portrayed as sexy sometimes.

Like so:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Can i take a moment to talk about the soundtrack of the Streets of Rage series?

That series has some of the best songs out of any Genesis game out there.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
It was just a acerbic jab. :laugh:

Agreed though. Sex sells, am I right?
Ooh, I now see what you meant in that post.:p

Sex sells, though. :laugh:

Either by attractiveness or controversy (or both). :chuckle:

I also find it funny when people make noise about sexualized female characters in Japanese media, unaware that there are examples of titles that do the exact same thing but with men (i.e. plenty of stuff aimed at female demographics such as shoujo manga, otome games and yaoi).

And sometimes both genders at once.

The only difference between characters like the Mario females and the FE females or Bayonetta is that the former do not display their own sexuality that much, while the latter does.
Which is exactly my point.

I never said that Peach or Rosalina are unattractive. However, they don't have the same kind of sex appeal you see elsewhere.

Even that Peach gif, while played up for sexiness, is nothing compared to the close-ups on Palutena in her Smash trailer. Yeah, she's showing some leg, but it's rather tame.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Even that Peach gif, while played up for sexiness, is nothing compared to the close-ups on Palutena in her Smash trailer. Yeah, she's showing some leg, but it's rather tame.
I would disagree based on the fact Palutena doesn't actually show much skin in those trailer shots, and isn't acting outwardly flirty - the camera just does random close-ups and nobody is even interacting with her.

Peach is outright beckoning a crowd to look at her bare legs and blowing them a kiss for it.

It's also somewhat subjective. If someone is more of a leg man than a breasts/butt man, that commercial with Peach will do way more for them than the Smash trailer for Palutena. If someone equally likes all three, than it still applies, because the Palutena thing is more tame.

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I find it ironic you comfortably say this given that Peach's personality is literally a run of the mill moe blob in most cases, and was literally designed to be put into the average teenagers wet dream (being kidnapped by a monster and saved by a hero - whether you are the monster or the hero is up to your preference in kinks, really).
Not really interested in this argument, but reducing a archetypical scenario to passion/sadism is bad form.

Peach was designed to be rescued because that's what mythological heroes have been doing for human history. One can argue that it's based in sexuality, but it doesn't always have to take that form (See Theseus and the Minotaur).

Observe:

upload_2016-5-6_13-17-22.png

upload_2016-5-6_13-20-8.png

20 loot boxes in overwatch and every single one has been 3 white and a blue, other than a purple full of gold. That is like, the worst possible outcome
Can i take a moment to talk about the soundtrack of the Streets of Rage series?

That series has some of the best songs out of any Genesis game out there.
I demand links.

My music playlist has no limits

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Not really interested in this argument, but reducing a archetypical scenario to passion/sadism is bad form.

Peach was designed to be rescued because that's what mythological heroes have been doing for human history. One can argue that it's based in sexuality, but it doesn't always have to take that form (See Theseus and the Minotaur).

Observe:

You'd have a point if Bowser and Mario weren't both into Peach.

I also don't see where sadism comes into it, I wasn't talking about anything on that level. I didn't say Peach wouldn't have a good time with Bowser, or that he isn't a gentleman who could treat her right. He's only bodily a monster. ;)

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I believe that foreign countries get the badges before the States, so we should have them soon.
Too bad that North America has yet to get the Rosalina badge that's in the Mario & Friends badge set. Sure there's the chocolate version, but the normal version is still not up for grabs.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
You'd have a point if Bowser and Mario weren't both into Peach.

I also don't see where sadism comes into it, I wasn't talking about anything on that level. I didn't say Peach wouldn't have a good time with Bowser. ;)
You mention "kinks" and "monsters" in the same paragraph. That implies sexual deviancy based on a aggressive level, ergo "sadism" or other common aggressive relational pattern.

My point stands on the fact that sexuality has very little context inside the Mario games. You've produced an add with Peach showing leg, but haven't shown anything inside a Mario game that would suggest something along the lines of Peach being a base sexual object, or Mario and Bowser being "into" her like you've implied.

D

Deleted member

20 loot boxes in overwatch and every single one has been 3 white and a blue, other than a purple full of gold. That is like, the worst possible outcome

I demand links.

My music playlist has no limits
Have a small taste of what this series has to offer when it comes to its soundtrack.

*Billy Mays voice* BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE!

I'll let you find out the rest by yourself (also play the games).

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Right, does Mario need sex appeal?

Rosalina doesn't count.
Not really, especially when the main focus in a lot of the Super Mario titles is more on Mario than anything else. Peach's screen time has often been very limited, so even if she looked more appealing, you still wouldn't see her very much.

Super Mario 3D World is a small exception though.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Too bad that North America has yet to get the Rosalina badge that's in the Mario & Friends badge set. Sure there's the chocolate version, but the normal version is still not up for grabs.
I thought we got the regular one?

Maybe I thought of the wrong one.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
You mention "kinks" and "monsters" in the same paragraph. That implies sexual deviancy based on a aggressive level, ergo "sadism" or other common aggressive relational pattern.

My point stands on the fact that sexuality has very little context inside the Mario games. You've produced an add with Peach showing leg, but haven't shown anything inside a Mario game that would suggest something along the lines of Peach being a base sexual object, or Mario and Bowser being "into" her like you've implied.
Kinks =/= aggression. A kink is just something unconventional. Like being into something of a different species, which is all I meant.

Also I haven't shown instances of Peach being sexualized in-game because those examples are more extreme and I would be infracted if I did.

And I shouldn't have to provide examples of Mario and Bowser being into Peach because that's literally common knowledge.

To give an example though, one of the main plot points of Super Paper Mario is Count Bleck forcing Peach and Bowser to marry in order to form the Chaos Heart. Bowser is COMPLETELY fine with it.

Also in Mario Power Tennis, Bowser's victory cutscene is him asking for a kiss from Peach, Peach accepting, and then Peach pulling out and having Birdo do it while Bowser has his eyes closed.

As for Mario, I really shouldn't have to point out the obvious, but:

Official art.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Not really, especially when the main focus in a lot of the Super Mario titles is more on Mario than anything else. Peach's screen time has often been very limited, so even if she looked more appealing, you still wouldn't see her very much.

Super Mario 3D World is a small exception though.
I must refer you to this:

It was an acerbic jab.

Last edited:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Why are we talking about Mario and sex appeal?
I mean this is a game where you jump and occasionally kill things. I can't exactly say it's open to that much interpretation just saying.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
All I'm saying, is that there is a reason Peach is the number 1 video game character on most adult art sites, both in amount of content and reception.

It's not like people got their ideas from nowhere. The games themselves provide people with a lot to work with.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I had a dream that I was in some kind of dream world and because I knew I was in some kind of dream world and knew it I had powers over it, because I was lucid in it.

Only it wasn't a lucid dream. That was only part of it's story.

Unfortunately, the dream didn't allow me to use the powers... The dream reacted negatively unless I followed its rules

---

I also had another dream where some kind of demons were attacking, which included these evil clown looking things. Guns didn't seem to work on them, but after stealing the evil clown demons weapons they seemed to world.

One of the clowns weapons was called "E.coli Cola" for some reason. However, it worked kind of like a bomb.

They were kind of like the "Killer Clowns from Outer Space"

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I thought we got the regular one?

Maybe I thought of the wrong one.
If it helps, I'm referring to the Rosalina badge that's on the screenshot below.

That specific badge is not available in North America, and yet the chocolate version was available back in February.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Kinks =/= aggression. A kink is just something unconventional. Like being into something of a different species, which is all I meant.
Yes, but Monster = Aggression. If you didn't mean it like that, reword your paragraphs.

Also I haven't shown instances of Peach being sexualized in-game because those examples are more extreme and I would be infracted if I did.

And I shouldn't have to provide examples of Mario and Bowser being into Peach because that's literally common knowledge.
Always prove your points. Common knowledge doesn't hold when you're trying to prove something.

To give an example though, one of the main plot points of Super Paper Mario is Count Bleck forcing Peach and Bowser to marry in order to form the Chaos Heart. Bowser is COMPLETELY fine with it.

Also in Mario Power Tennis, Bowser's victory cutscene is him asking for a kiss from Peach, Peach accepting, and then Peach pulling out and having Birdo do it while Bowser has his eyes closed.
While both of these come from spinoff games, I'll bite. But these examples don't really prove that Bowser's sexuality is his motivation behind keeping Peach at the back of 8-4. It's been stated that Bowser's more interested in conquering the Mushroom Kingdom.

upload_2016-5-6_13-51-59.png

As for Mario, I really shouldn't have to point out the obvious, but:

Official art.
Official Games please. I don't care if you're right or not, just prove your point properly (which is why I bothered replying anyway).

You're Irish, right? Do you formulate sentences differently over there? Because you're missing my points, or just ignoring them completely.

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
If it helps, I'm referring to the Rosalina badge that's on the screenshot below.

That specific badge is not available in North America, and yet the chocolate version was available back in February.

Ah I thought so. I've seen the image, so I thought we got it. My mistake.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Yes, but Monster = Aggression. If you didn't mean it like that, reword your paragraphs.

Stop making things up and trying to twist my words.

Bowser is a dauntingly large creature, and is defined in-game by other characters as being ugly and a bit frightening. None of these things are synonymous with aggression. He is by dictionary definition, a monster, and that in no way reflects on how he is with Peach.

There are tons monster characters that are not the least bit aggressive. Mike and Sully from Monsters .Inc, for example.

Always prove your points. Common knowledge doesn't hold when you're trying to prove something.
A defense lawyer should always bring evidence in the event it's needed, but the prosecutor should have a basic understanding of what the matter at hand is if they intend to argue. And vice versa.

My evidence was ready for if you didn't have the common knowledge, but the fact you didn't even know these basic things proves you have no place speaking on the subject matter.

While both of these come from spinoff games, I'll bite. But these examples don't really prove that Bowser's sexuality is his motivation behind keeping Peach at the back of 8-4. It's been stated that Bowser's more interested in conquering the Mushroom Kingdom.
If he loves her, he most likely has a sexual interest too. He did also lie to Bowser Jr and told him that Peach was his mother. Which would come with obvious implications.

Plus, there's Francis, another monster from Super Paper Mario, who BLATANTLY has the hots for Peach - so there's another example of Peach being viewed as "sexy" in-universe.

Also Super Paper Mario being a "spin-off" means nothing in Mario, since it still is story-based. The only "non-canon" stuff for the most part, are the Kart games and sports games since they generally have no story to speak of. Everything else is an adventure Mario has had.

That instruction manual excerpt is also 30 years old, the Mario characters and their portrayals have changed greatly since then, as has the lore. Like how in Galaxy, Bowser outwardly states that he wants Peach to be his queen.

Official Games please. I don't care if you're right or not, just prove your point properly (which is why I bothered replying anyway).
I mean if you want official games, there is countless examples. Look up the average Mario game ending.

That art is still official though and is just as valid. It's made by the same people who work on the games.

You're Irish, right? Do you formulate sentences differently over there? Because you're missing my points, or just ignoring them completely.
If I wasn't already convinced you were trying so hard to just feel like your right and above everyone for the sake of it, this is what would definitely convince me.

We are only having any communication problems because you aren't providing points, and are simply making up definitions and twisting words, and making up criteria for what serves as evidence to you, and trying to be "witty" to fuel your own ego. I am Irish, but my first language is English, and I use it the same way as anyone else.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Chrom mattered more than Lucina but we all know what the roster looks like today.
Chrom's problem is that he lacked anything to really stand out and Lucina got lucky because of the clone clause. She could have been an alt for Marth easily if Sakurai didn't want to buff the roster. The comparison falls flat easily when you realize that.

Tom literally owns the Nook Store in every Animal Crossing and the one go to for any home improvements. Not to mention he's the damn mascot for the whole franchise. The only thing Isabelle got for her is public projects, fruit, and her moeblob personality that fans worship her for. Sure he's a part of the Final Smash, but that easily change by having his nephews in Villager's Final Smash. Are you another one of her diehard fans?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom