• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Backlash to that game didn't seem to be quite as nasty as it was to Nuts & Bolts to me, although I won't deny that the backlash was still definitely plentiful.

Out of all the gaming franchises I know of that got reboots at some point, I think the Legend of Spyro trilogy has gotten the best reception.
You're forgetting one.

...It counts as a Frachise if it got a second game, right?

D

Deleted member

You played the worst Crash gamee out there.
I still think this awful Mario Party clone is worse:

I can at least understand how some would enjoy Titans or Mind Over Mutant, even if I personally didn't.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
You know, I may be one of the few people who didn't hate Crash's redesign in the Titan games.

Remove the tattoos and give him the gloves, and he would look pretty decent.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I can imagine everyone's reaction if the Crash reboot turns out to be Crash Bash 2 xD

Red & Green

Just call me Red.
NNID
123Gallon
3DS FC
1332-8993-7355
Switch FC
1960-8956-3517
Yo when it's the first game in like 20 years with an entirely different gameplay style, I feel it can be both
I honestly like to think of it as a sequel. I don't think Pit was leader of Palutena's guard and stuff in the first game. Plus, I think Medusa makes some comments about what happened in the first game, but I honestly forget, it's been so long since I played KI:U...

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Crash of the Titans was around mediocre to below average. It really didn't offend me too much aside from Crash talking and his first words were freaking "pancakes"

Mind over Mutants on the other hand is a abomination and shouldn't have been released to the public. That game was utter trash and it was just a even bigger insult than the last game

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Pretty much the only re-designs in the Crash of the Titans era I didn't really see people complaining about were Cortex and Nitrus Brio.

Granted, the latter only appeared in Mind Over Mutant, but it was still apart of the same era of the series. They didn't differ all that much from their previous designs from what I could tell, especially Brio. They were just graphically updated more than anything.

Looking back at the designs of the characters in the past entries, I can see where the majority of the complaints came from, and I actually agree with some of them despite having no experience in the series outside of the Titans games. At least Coco's design was changed in the second game to fit her character better.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Backlash to that game didn't seem to be quite as nasty as it was to Nuts & Bolts to me, although I won't deny that the backlash was still definitely plentiful.

Out of all the gaming franchises I know of that got reboots at some point, I think the Legend of Spyro trilogy has gotten the best reception.
Legend of Spyro is an interesting case.

The first game was received well.
Second game wasn't, at least not critically, but it has a cult following.
Third game did really well critically and commercially, but the fandom is quite divided on it.

Personally, Spyro was my first video game franchise, and I was definitely attached to the guy growing up. Sonic ultimately replaced him as my favourite mascot character though, because he just had more going for him in the long run.

I initially was turned off by the first LoS game when I was a kid when I saw it in stores.

However, in 2010, I took a nostalgia trip with some Spyro games and not long after, saw LoS: The Eternal Night on the Wii, and LoS: Dawn of the Dragon on the Xbox 360, on sale for super cheap. The latter was also being used in a "buy 1 get 1 free" deal or something like that, so I bought both games, and got Red Faction: Guerrilla for free on Xbox 360. I later got LoS: A New Beginning on the Microsoft Store.

Having played the first game last, I actually didn't really like it. I thought the combat moves just were not that interesting, there was little replay value, not much platforming or exploring, and in terms of the story and tone, I felt it lacked a sense of direction. It felt like it couldn't decide if the game was gonna be more serious or silly, usually just randomly switching tone. Didn't find the music that memorable either.

I absolutely love The Eternal Night and Dawn of the Dragon though. TEN fixed more or less every problem I had with the original game, and then some. I love almost everything about it. It's also the most polished game in the trilogy IMO.

And I love Dawn of the Dragon because it felt like a cool hybrid of the Classic Spyro formula, and the LoS formula of the past two games. It had some bugs and stuff, and the story had some problems, but the graphics could get really nice, and the gameplay was so fun. Even had cool extras like co-op and being able to play as Cynder. It also had an epic, ambitious scale to it, which I really liked. It also had a lot of replay value, with a lot of collectibles that made the characters stronger and unlocked other things. Oh, and you, to some degree, could fly at will, which was fun. And despite the buggyness, I found a lot of them actually made the game more fun personally, like various movement exploits I discovered. I actually became a bit of a glitch hunter for that game, logging over 100 hours into it.

Honestly in an ideal world, both the Classic universe and LoS universe of Spyro would both still be running concurrently, like with Classic Mega Man and Mega Man X back in the day. I loved both versions of the Spyro formula. A Hero's Tail was also really cool.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
While I don't really like Crash's redesign myself.

I'll admit that he got it better than Sony's other golden boy.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi

Skylanders Spyro honestly grew on me.

He doesn't look nearly as bad when you're actually playing the game IMO.

Skylanders itself isn't really a terrible game either, at all. I have Skylanders Giants, and it's pretty good. Spyro is also fairly fun to control.

Red & Green

Just call me Red.
NNID
123Gallon
3DS FC
1332-8993-7355
Switch FC
1960-8956-3517
Well...Welllllll....WELLLLL.....
The original one was at least good. But then they started to milk it. And now it's just a cash cow in the depths of near-bankruptcy, trying to stay popular with the kiddies. Poor Spyro... he was mangled so bad...

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035

Skylanders was a mistake. A giant mistake.

A massive problem that needs to be removed

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
The Eternal Night is sadly my only Spyro game, though I love it to bits for what it is. I like the story of the Legend trilogy.

Well, I've got Skylanders too, but I've been too lazy to start up on it. :p

Why did I miss out on all the slightly less famous mascots growing up?

Last edited:

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336

He honestly looks better in this art than he does in-game.
Speaking of Skylanders, I'm surprised they haven't put Crash in it. Not saying I want it, but you think it would have been something they've done by now.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Skylanders as a franchise is fine.

My only problem with it is that after the first game, Spyro has no relevance in the games themselves. He's just another Skylander. Same with Cynder.

He's still basically the main character of the comics though. The comics even brought back Malefor from the Legend of Spyro, and gave him a WAAAAAY more badass design than his LoS one.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Twinsanity was actually my first Crash game I played back in 2007. My friend and his brother owned a PS2 and we would play Crash Twinsanity and Tekken 5 everytime I came over. Good times.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
Skylanders itself isn't really a terrible game either, at all. I have Skylanders Giants, and it's pretty good. Spyro is also fairly fun to control.
I played the first one (didn't buy it, my younger cousin got it as a gift).

Yeah, it's not a bad game at all, but it really didn't keep my interest.

D

Deleted member

I thought the Legend of Spyro trilogy as a whole was okay, and I remember liking Dawn of the Dragon the most out of the three. Skylanders on the other hand, I admittedly haven't touched.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I played the first one (didn't buy it, my younger cousin got it as a gift).

Yeah, it's not a bad game at all, but it really didn't keep my interest.
First game is pretty average. It was just sort of testing the waters.

Giants vastly improves on it in every way. One of my favourite things in Giants is Skystones, a mini-game that's kinda like Tetra Master from FFIX (which happened to be a game I grew up with).

Then the other games like Superchargers, shake up the core gameplay to add more variety.

Also Giants has a very nice soundtrack:

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Some more Sonic 25th Anniversary news has come out.
https://www.sonicstadium.org/2016/0...ersary-details-posted-e3-sonic-event-planned/
It talks about certain events (E3, Pax, Comic-Con, and more), merchandise, the Sonic YouTube channel being relaunched with things such as animated shorts, and the possibility of theme park partnerships.
So I guess the real question is. . .

Are they setting up shop next to Nintendo at Universal, or are they heading to the Disney parks to revive the console wars in theme park form? :troll:

. . .Or are they taking a third option and heading to another chain entirely? :troll: :troll: :troll:

TBH I would be happy if it was a new Crash Team Racing game. CTR was the second game I ever owned and I still love all of its tracks today. Such a fun kart racer.

Too bad it died soon after and Tag Team racing was super jank

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
TBH I would be happy if it was a new Crash Team Racing game. CTR was the second game I ever owned and I still love all of its tracks today. Such a fun kart racer.

Too bad it died soon after and Tag Team racing was super jank
>tfw I'm the only guy in the world who likes Crash Nitro Kart.

Tag Team was wonky and weird but Nitro was my jam along with Jak X: Combat Racing

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I never understood why people disliked Nitro Kart.

It is not necessarily any worse or better than the original, it's just a matter of preference. Nitro Kart is literally CTR with nicer graphics and some more characters. Every thing else about it is subjective.

Also the GBA version had Spyro as the ultimate unlock. I went crazy when I unlocked him.

Chrono.

I never understood why people disliked Nitro Kart.

It is not necessarily any worse or better than the original, it's just a matter of preference. Nitro Kart is literally CTR with nicer graphics and some more characters. Every thing else about it is subjective.

Also the GBA version had Spyro as the ultimate unlock. I went crazy when I unlocked him.

Shame the console version didn't have him.

Great game though, spent way too much time on it.

Last edited:

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
So I guess the real question is. . .

Are they setting up shop next to Nintendo at Universal, or are they heading to the Disney parks to revive the console wars in theme park form? :troll:

. . .Or are they taking a third option and heading to another chain entirely? :troll: :troll: :troll:
I know you're joking, but there was a rumor awhile back that Universal would be opening a new park based entirely on video games in Orlando.
So Sonic attractions being at Universal isn't really out of the question.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
I know you're joking, but there was a rumor awhile back that Universal would be opening a new park based entirely on video games in Orlando.
So Sonic attractions being at Universal isn't really out of the question.
Funny thing is, I was only half joking.

And this info is making me even more curious.

. . .

. . .You don't think they'd. . .

. . .Make a crossover attraction, do you?

Probably not, but I'm left wondering if it's possible. . .

Red & Green

Just call me Red.
NNID
123Gallon
3DS FC
1332-8993-7355
Switch FC
1960-8956-3517

. . .

If they did, a Smash Bros. ride seems like the most appropriate place to put in 3rd party characters. I honestly would love it if that happened, though.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi

. . .

Couldn't be worse than the new Mario & Sonic game.

And if they did make one, it'd be the closest thing to a real Mario & Sonic crossover we're gonna get anytime soon.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Kinda funny that I was watching an anime on May the 4th just now, and coincidentally, they made a Star Wars reference.
Speaking of Star Wars references, the following screenshots that I took feel like they reference Star Wars a bit.

Basically, Peppy faces unbeatable odds to destroy a giant battleship.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
So I bought Pokemon Black 2 and I'm gonna give updates on it but for now I can say that I want Sun and Moon to have the tutorials turned off and allow you to skip those automatic cutscenes

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336

. . .

A Mario and Sonic 3D show is probably what a crossover attraction would be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom