• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Still, if Geno was considered I don't see the big problem of Isaac getting in. At least GS had it's latest entry in this decade.
To be honest, even if Sakurai was heavily fond of Geno, Square Enix wasn't going to be cool with the idea of Geno, a character they have neglected so much for so long that they didn't even use him in Mario Hoops 3-on-3 and Mario Sports Mix, representing their company in one of the biggest video game crossover franchises around. And really, I ain't remotely sad that Geno isn't playable.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Eh, personally I just look at the cruddy Wikipedia sales lists for each system to see if a game registers enough on the radar to be a potential candidate. RH and GS both had games that made it to the top sellers lists from what I could see, AW didn't.

Maybe I should start trying to figure out VGChart's layout and looking at that as well to further make awkward estimates as to which series should have priority over others or something. After all, it's Smash, and the sales of individual games at least didn't matter so much for 64 and Melee.

Obscure characters are boring, let's only add Mario characters.

Best case scenario
No joke, the only first party Nintendo characters that would still have enough influence to attract any new players are Mario spinoff fodder characters, with MAYYYBE Dixie Kong and Inkling thrown in there if we're being generous. Bandana Dee if we're being really, REALLY generous.

Anyone less well known than that is going to get blank stares from nearly anyone outside the direct Smash fandom, and that includes the likes of K. Rool and Ridley.

And while I'm at it, "anime" and "non-cartoony" characters thrive partially because some casuals who were initially lured in by more well known fare actually really like the same "anime" and "non-cartoony" designs that fans of more western looking series are repulsed by. It doesn't have anything to do with how well known they are, the designs alone do the work. Most requests that are typically made. . .don't quite get that benefit. Only really notable one I can think of that isn't over-repping a series even more or threatening to get a series accused of over-repping is Isaac, and his status as second party leaves him as a bit of a wild card considering second parties usually either get a flood of characters or no characters at all and Camelot in general has been getting Assist Trophies and songs but hasn't made the jump with anything they're in charge of.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Because it's something minor
It was confirmed to have an EMBLEM. Not a character. Same would apply to mother****ing ninja samurai with FE hair
You mentioned a game being released recently in a country that didn't get the game at first. And being considered isn't always major. There's that detective girl too, she doesn't even have an AT
Wasn't the emblem grouped with the character ones, and not the stage ones? Like, it wasn't with the Brain Age or Swapnote ones, but by the actual character ones. That combined with Gematsu? Definitely character in my eyes.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
No joke, the only first party Nintendo characters that would still have enough influence to attract any new players are Mario spinoff fodder characters, with MAYYYBE Dixie Kong and Inkling thrown in there if we're being generous. Bandana Dee if we're being really, REALLY generous.
Don't forget Pokemon characters.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Wasn't the emblem grouped with the character ones, and not the stage ones? Like, it wasn't with the Brain Age or Swapnote ones, but by the actual character ones. That combined with Gematsu? Definitely character in my eyes.
I don't remember anything like that being said, not to mention it'd most likely have been confirmed by Sakurai in interviews like Takamaru and Ridley

Soul.

Are software sales really important when considering characters, or are they a mere bonus?

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Any Mario character is fine.

Except the blatant metal clones, babies, and minor characters no one care about (Mother****ing Honey Queen).
Or any form of cannon fodder.

I literally roll my eyes at the blokes who want to play as a Goomba or bloody Space Pirate in Smash when they are better off as enemies.

Still not as bull**** as a Bullet Bill (which some genius made as an expansion character for Super Smash Flash 2 years ag).

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Oh look, More Smash Discussion

Hooray
:glare:

And irrelevant ass Gemastu no less. Didn't that whole rumor finally went away when the ESRB leak roared its ugly head

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I don't remember anything like that being said, not to mention it'd most likely have been confirmed by Sakurai in interviews like Takamaru and Ridley
smashbros donkeykong starfox kirby fzero metroid mother pokemon zelda mario yoshi
fireemblem gamewatch
pikmin wario palutena famicomrobot sonic plankton touch doubutsu
wiifit xenoblade punchout duckhunt rhythm rockman
nintendogs miiplaza pacman tomodachi wreckingcrew
wuhuisland miiverse lightplane braintraining balloonfight diary etc
Rhythm Heaven's placement is with other new playable series. Thank you, Source Gaming.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
It's certainly a factor, as shown by Sakurai justifying :4duckhunt: with the sales of Duck Hunt.
Don't forget Wii Fit Trainer. Her series sold very well until U happened.

Or any form of cannon fodder.

I literally roll my eyes at the blokes who want to play as a Goomba or bloody Space Pirate in Smash when they are better off as enemies.

Still not as bull**** as a Bullet Bill (which some genius made as an expansion character for Super Smash Flash 2 years ag).
Exactly. Why play as typical grunts that you kill or stomp when you can play as an established character instead?

And don't forget the downloadable Buzzy Beetle because they are very suitable SSF2 fighters. /s

Burruni

Smash Hero
Guys don't make me choose between an underdog series of an entire genre for Nintendo I've really loved and a new series that's hit a ton of the right spots for who I want to get a fighter first

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Oh look, More Smash Discussion

Hooray
:glare:

And irrelevant *** Gemastu no less. Didn't that whole rumor finally went away when the ESRB leak roared its ugly head
It's almost as if we're on a website dedicated to Smash, in a thread made up of many users who were active during the days of speculation!

Also Gematsu is incredibly relevant to the current discussion.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904

And irrelevant *** Gemastu no less. Didn't that whole rumor finally went away when the ESRB leak roared its ugly head
I think it died spluttering when Lucina?! showed up.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
*reads*

Oh look, it seems like GS:TLA did pretty well, too.

AW is still nowhere to be seen, though. The selection is definitely different from Wikipedia, but I didn't notice too much new first party stuff on the initial skim-over. Maybe I'll pick up on something if I analyze it again at some other point. Sometimes epiphanies take time.

Don't forget Pokemon characters.
I didn't forget, I just yet again thought of something mid-type and ended up not putting it on there. Mostly laziness and the fact that there's far too many Pokemon that would apply to list, in this case.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Listen.
If RH got a character, there's on real way I wanna see it happening.
Having a central character, such as Marshal.
And their moveset was... very G&W-like, various animations and functions taken from the absurd amount of microgames that make up the series.

Edit: An example, not mine.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Listen.
And their moveset was... very G&W-like, various animations and functions taken from the absurd amount of microgames that make up the series.
I think the Chorus Kids approach is honestly the way to go. The DS version sold really well, and they're the cover characters for it. Plus I feel having musical characters for a rhythm game is more fitting than not having one. That, and a trio would help potentially showcase rhythm mechanics more. It's possible their gimmick involved desynching for rhythmic attacks., possibly making an Ice Climbers type of situation during development. At least, that's what I can assume.

D

Deleted member

Sourcegaming has released its latest SG: Choice which is about which Snes games they want to see on the New 3DS Eshop. (hopefully im not late to mention this)

As for me, personally, i already have one choice.

So, to anybody else, i have a question, which Snes game do you want to see on the New 3Ds Eshop?

NO. NO NO!
NOT THE GEMATSU LEAK! NOT THE FLASHBACKS! NOT THE GEMATSU LEAK AGAIN!

PLEASE ANYTHING BUT THAT!

Last edited by a moderator:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Listen.

To this day, I still find the idea of Marshall posing for the fans hilarious.

D

Deleted member

We interrupt this pointless Smash discussion to bring actually important news:
EOIV is on sale for $10
Buy EO nerds

And also, Conquest Lunatic's tutorial is harder than Chapter 7
Must be the Witches...

Burruni

Smash Hero
We interrupt this pointless Smash discussion to bring actually important news:
EOIV is on sale for $10
Buy EO nerds

And also, Conquest Lunatic's tutorial is harder than Chapter 7
Must be the Witches...
Revelations giving you like 5 characters until you beat Chapter 8.
Gonna be fun.

Chrono.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
User was warned for this post
*reads*

Oh look, it seems like GS:TLA did pretty well, too.

AW is still nowhere to be seen, though. The selection is definitely different from Wikipedia, but I didn't notice too much new first party stuff on the initial skim-over. Maybe I'll pick up on something if I analyze it again at some other point. Sometimes epiphanies take time.
Keep in mind that AW1 and AW2 was only released in NA and EU initially and together they account for about 700,000 units individually which was the amount FE7 and FE8 did IIRC excluding Japan sales. A Japanese release of both AW1 and AW2 bundled together would come around the fall of 2004 meaning the Japanese sales aren't accounted for. The September 11 attacks caused the Japanese release to be cancelled for the time being which was stupid IMO. Caused AW to not get as big of a Japanese presence as it could have which could have been the deal breaker for getting a rep in Brawl.

I even made a joke in the Andy support thread that 9/11 is the reason why Andy isn't playable in Smash Bros yet. Good thing that douche Bin Laden is dead. Serves him right for ruining AW's chances. :shades:

Last edited:

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Happy Stair Woes day!

Anywho looks like someone is trying to run a Kickstarter campaign to make a spiritual Paper Mario 1/TTYD successor (they don't say "Paper Mario" in the video but you have to be dumb as rocks to not know they're talking about said series).

They claim they want to release by the end of this year, but what was shown (yes, I know it's a work in progress) tells me they need much more time if they want to recapture the magic of the first 2 Paper Mario games.

I ain't backing it.

D

Deleted member

I even made a joke in the Andy support thread that 9/11 is the reason why Andy isn't playable in Smash Bros yet. Good thing that douche Bin Laden is dead. Serves him right for ruining AW's chances. :shades:
Edgy Funny Memes II(first page was reported by normies)

EOIV is on sale for $10
That would be a great insta-buy!

. . .If I had the ability to use the eshop here :/
Happy Stair Woes day!

Anywho looks like someone is trying to run a Kickstarter campaign to make a spiritual Paper Mario 1/TTYD successor (they don't say "Paper Mario" in the video but you have to be dumb as rocks to not know they're talking about said series).

They claim they want to release by the end of this year, but what was shown (yes, I know it's a work in progress) tells me they need much more time if they want to recapture the magic of the first 2 Paper Mario games.

I ain't backing it.
I love the turtle jsut sliding around because he doesn't have any animations at all. Looks swell /s

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Relax. Don't get all worked up about it.
I'm a woman who likes ****ty jokes, me and a group of friends basically agree you can talk **** on everything, because it's equal like that. I've also been known to have no tact in the past. But that's just ****ing wrong. It's like when a friend yelled 'ALLAH AKBAR **** PARIS' 2 weeks after the bombings in the same room as my French mother who had a friend she hadn't heard back from since the bombings. There are some things you don't joke about. And you did it for the sake of a video game character! That's messed up

D

Deleted member

That would be a great insta-buy!

. . .If I had the ability to use the eshop here :/

I love the turtle jsut sliding around because he doesn't have any animations at all. Looks swell /s
So close yet so far...
At least you already bought EOU
You didn't play much but it's a start

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I'm a woman who likes ****ty jokes, me and a group of friends basically agree you can talk **** on everything, because it's equal like that. I've also been known to have no tact in the past. But that's just ****ing wrong. It's like when a friend yelled 'ALLAH AKBAR **** PARIS' 2 weeks after the bombings in the same room as my French mother who had a friend she hadn't heard back from since the bombings. There are some things you don't joke about. And you did it for the sake of a video game character! That's messed up
It's not like i'm making fun of the situation or making fun of those effected by the tragedy. I just made a light-hearted joke that that event was tied in to the series somewhat. Really, no need to get upset about it. There's a lot more mean-spirited jokes about 9/11 or other events on the internet which my joke was absolutely not.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Kinda funny that I was watching an anime on May the 4th just now, and coincidentally, they made a Star Wars reference.

The past 4 times i've looked at the "members viewing thread" list there has been a different mod lurking. I wonder who will show up next!

So close yet so far...
At least you already bought EOU
You didn't play much but it's a start
I got the dragon egg from the Wyvern Nest. Gotta be like 90% done right :^)

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
It's not like i'm making fun of the situation or making fun of those effected by the tragedy. I just made a light-hearted joke that that event was tied in to the series somewhat. Really, no need to get upset about it. There's a lot more mean-spited jokes about 9/11 or other events on the internet which my joke was absolutely not.
There is literally no way to justify a 9/11 joke. Ever.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Rhythm Heaven really could use a character...
Listen.

I need this. I like the idea of using the multiple characters as skins.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom