• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Can we all just agree that it's pretty cool that a franchise rose out of the ashes the way FE did? To go from the chopping block to being any kind of important is intself a tremendous feat, and I'm glad Nintendo has another successful IP under its belt.

Last edited:

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
Pushing FE is all just a ploy to get the rest of the world to buy anime stuff.

In a world where Elise is a popular and recognizable character.
The rest of the world just hasn't experienced the true power of imouto. Once the influence has spread, we're all going to want our own imouto.
We're all going to be eating that Elise nendoroid up now!
And now you know what a nendoroid is!
Those fiends!

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I don't say this very often...

But bruh, get good.

And it uses fog of war as much as Fire Emblem does.
Except in AW, every step matters, and in FE, your units don't get weaker after taking damage. FoW is unfair in both, but it's ludicrous in AW as not only was it advertised as a strategy game, but in those stages my units were finite unlike other levels

Kid Icarus is like . . .F tier. It's pretty much two and a half games, one of which is from the NES.

Pikmin has 3 big games and actually shows up in advertisements and stuff

KI is super niche as a series and pretty much has 0 relevancy to anything unfortunately

Last edited:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
But that's the thing...Pikmin>Kid Icarus is in no way comparable to Mario>Animal Crossing. Not only in the sense that I think Pikmin does get pushed more than Star Fox or Metroid (Pikmin 3 got a ton of push from Nintendo to the point that some people were sick of hearing about it), but also in the sense that Pikmin is far less obscure than Kid Icarus.

Uprising and Smash doesn't change the fact that, as a franchise, Kid Icarus is still hella obscure and not mainstream in the slightest.
You're probably right, forget KI on my tier list then :p

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
How the hell is that a bad thing? Your explanation of the series is hardly true and there's so much depth to the series. Capturing the base isn't the only victory condition in the game (and isn't even a victory condition in the first place). You don't only have 2 human units. You're not always stuck in Fog of War and you just need to know how to play that mode properly. Even then Fog of War isn't applicable to every match because a lot of times there is no FoW. Both FE and AW have their pro's and con's in terms of their gameplay really and there's so much more to what you're saying. This is coming from a guy that's been playing the series for the past 12 years and still loving it.

It's okay if you don't like AW but don't say nonsensical things like that.
It was the only victory condition on that level, and after FoW was spammed about 5 times that point, I ended up beginning with like 5 units total, not being able to make more, and faced about 6 tanks because I didn't know they were there. I DID only have 2 human units in that stage. And 'you just need to know that mode properly' Bull****. The enemies hide and can attack you without even revealing their location due to that snipeshot power. It was unfun in every single way. And EVERY time I started enjoying the game, FoW shows up

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Pushing FE is all just a ploy to get the rest of the world to buy anime stuff.

In a world where Elise is a popular and recognizable character.
The rest of the world just hasn't experienced the true power of imouto. Once the influence has spread, we're all going to want our own imouto.
We're all going to be eating that Elise nendoroid up now!
And now you know what a nendoroid is!
Those fiends!
But what about Ms. Plot herself Camilla? Doesn't she have two big reasons why she's more popular than her own little sister? :troll:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I know Mario's on screen more an DK is, but the branding is still Mario vs. DK. Mario in itself is a DK spinoff if you really think about it though!
Why are you going back to the 80s? :p

Has it though?

It had Awakening, then Smash stuff (which isn't even as big as people like to believe), and now Fates. That's not much. And it's mostly still core Nintendo fans who know of it.

Fates has had a huge marketing push and has sold well, but remember, Fates is TECHNICALLY 3 games.
Being 3 games just means that Nintendo is making more money from FE though. All the more reason to push it even more.

Considering they're making a mobile game, I believe it's safe to say that FE has casual appeal.

:231:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
According to a recent poll Nintendo themselves held on Twitter, Camilla is the most popular sibling in Fates, with Ryoma in second.

Though I kinda get the feeling they were voted for the wrong reasons. :p

Why are you going back to the 80s? :p

Being 3 games just means that Nintendo is making more money from FE though. All the more reason to push it even more.

Considering they're making a mobile game, I believe it's safe to say that FE has casual appeal.

:231:
What I'm trying to say, is it's not fair to compare Fates to DKC:TP.

It's comparing the combined sales of a trio of games to one game.

And in general, we don't know how well the games do individually or how many people own at least one copy. For example, if Fates had, for example, 999,999 sales altogether, then is that 333,333 people split up across three versions, or are most only buying one version?

It's much more impressive if it's the latter, as it means the series can do just as well with a single release format.

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Actually, Camilla is also popular amongst female players
Understandable. I would love to be a cold hearted playful warrior like her, with my very own pet Red Eyes Black Dragon too. :p

Also sonicbrawler, Ryouma-kun is the ultimate big brother and seme.

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
The comparisons aren't fair and if you think Fire Emblem is bigger than DK and Animal Crossing than youre delusional.
Oh we're enacting this asinine logic of "If you disagree you're *insert words of choice here*" are we?
I can just as easily say "If you think DK or AC are even in the same tier as Mario, Zelda and Pokemon then you're delusional" instead of providing an actual argument like "DK is just a subsidiary of Mario at this point and Animal Crossing hasn't had the impact that Pokemon, Zelda and Mario have had".

D

Deleted member

It was the only victory condition on that level, and after FoW was spammed about 5 times that point, I ended up beginning with like 5 units total, not being able to make more, and faced about 6 tanks because I didn't know they were there. I DID only have 2 human units in that stage. And 'you just need to know that mode properly' Bull****. The enemies hide and can attack you without even revealing their location due to that snipeshot power. It was unfun in every single way. And EVERY time I started enjoying the game, FoW shows up
Honestly, it just seems like you're describing Battle Before Dawn
"Alright, let's just rescue Jaffar with Sain an-- *gets sniped by Ursula* what the ****!?"
But what about Ms. Plot herself Camilla? Doesn't she have two big reasons why she's more popular than her own little sister? :troll:
Relevant
Screenshot_2016-04-08-10-16-26-1.png

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
What level are you even talking about? In every AW game you either capture the enemy HQ or you win by eliminating all the opponents units. And I don't know how you "spam FoW" because it's a condition on a map and not something that can be used. I really meant what I said about having to know how to play the map. You have to know where to place your units to attack enemy units and where to put indirect units to bait out or attack your opponent by surprise (usually in the woods for land units and reefs for sea units). I didn't like FoW all those years back but I got used to it really quickly because once you get the hang of it it gets easier. And like I said before not every map is FoW.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Which are also two big reasons why we'll never see her in Smash, same goes for Tsubasa Oribe. :troll:

Tharja got her trophy cut for similar big reasons. Barbara and Candy Kong were left untouched since only furries (which are a small fraction of the fandom) would find them sexy.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
What level are you even talking about? In every AW game you either capture the enemy HQ or you win by eliminating all the opponents units. And I don't know how you "spam FoW" because it's a condition on a map and not something that can be used. I really meant what I said about having to know how to play the map. You have to know where to place your units to attack enemy units and where to put indirect units to bait out or attack your opponent by surprise (usually in the woods for land units and reefs for sea units). I didn't like FoW all those years back but I got used to it really quickly because once you get the hang of it it gets easier. And like I said before not every map is FoW.
I can't be arsed to look up the name, but you need to choose between 2 routes and it's on Max's. Also, bull**** about attacking enemies by surprise in FoW, the CPU knows EXACTLY where you are

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
So you know how Kirby: Planet Robobot has that amiibo functionality where certain characters give you a specific power?

Our good friend @DarkAura64 has been posting the list of them on r/amiibo.

Mario: Fire

Luigi: Fire

Peach: Parasol

Bowser: Stone (Yes, Stone, not Fire.)

Yoshi: Whip

Diddy Kong: Bomb

Rosalina: Ice

Ness: PSI

Doctor Mario: Doctor

Inklings: Poison (It let me use both the boy and girl, so it's definitely poison)

Link: Sword

Zelda: Mirror

Captain Falcon: Wheel

Lucas: PSI

Fox: Jet

Falco: Jet

Sonic: Random

Pac Man: Random

Ryu: Random

Mega Man: Random

Shovel Knight: Random

Toon Link: Sword

Pikachu: Spark

Greninja: Ninja

Mewtwo: PSI

Shiek: Ninja

Ike: Sword

It's not all of them yet but that's it so far.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
The fact that Takumi isn't No. 1 is obviously a mistake.

Everyone loves Takumi.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
So you know how Kirby: Planet Robobot has that amiibo functionality where certain characters give you a specific power?

Inklings: Poison (It let me use both the boy and girl, so it's definitely poison)

How the hell does Ryu not give the Fighter ability?!

It seems like a third party thing with Random abilities, but still...

D

Deleted member

Unfair comparison.

Tropical Freeze came out during production but after planning. It couldn't get much content.

Or is Fates bigger than 3D World, ORAS and Hyrule Warriors?
Not bigger, but does get a ton of attention for a previous tiny franchise. It's growing as to where some of the bigger franchises such as DK(Which is lucky to be sort of attached to the juggernaut that is the mario franchise.) and Metroid are shrinking.

It's a lot more impressive for such a tiny and miniscule franchise previously. I don't think anyone is saying that it out does franchises that have been popular for decades and are household names to most people in general(Mario, Zelda, Pokemon.), that would be quite a feat.

And I'm not doubting that Animal Crossing is growing, but that actually had quite a decently big following even before smash from what I can tell.

Last edited by a moderator:

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
Just goes to show how different country's/culture's tastes are.
Elise is the most popular character in Japan because imouto powers.
Just can't resist the power of the little girl loving you to death.
But in the US it's probably Camilla. (I'm not sure about Europe/parts of Europe)

But we'll all be converted soon enough. That's the plan

Don't do this to me shrooby.
don't you do it.
Don't worry hopefully everyone will realize the truth
Sakura > Elise

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Hey guys. How are you all doing? Did I miss anything?

I see this thread is lightning fast as usual.

Last weekend, I got Hyrule Warriors Legends. Very fun game, especially since I've unlocked the Great King himself. :4ganondorf:

I didn't imagine it had so much content to unlock, though. This is going to be a game I'll play for a long while... Not that it's a bad thing, of course.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
To add my two cents:

S tier: :4mario::4pikachu::4link:
A tier: :4dk::4villager::4kirby::4yoshi::4mii:
B tier: :4marth::4samus::4fox::4olimar:
C tier: :4wario2::4littlemac::4pit::4ness::4falcon:
IMO I would rank the franchises like this...

SS tier: :4mario:
S tier: :4link::4pikachu::4mii:
A Tier: :4marth::4villager:
B+ Tier: :4dk:
B Tier: :4samus::4fox::4kirby::4yoshi:
I can't be arsed to look up the name, but you need to choose between 2 routes and it's on Max's. Also, bull**** about attacking enemies by surprise in FoW, the CPU knows EXACTLY where you are
Yeah that's true about the CPU's and you need to effectively use the woods/reefs to seek out or bait the CPU's enemy units to attack them because even though they know where you are they can't find your units if they're hidden in those 2 places I mentioned. Cheap I suppose when your facing a CPU but that extra difficulty is what makes it great. You hide some indirect units and maybe some direct ones and then you're able to trounce the CPU's units before they can effectively counterattack. When your facing a human opponent it's a lot more fair and you don't have to worry about the opponent knowing where you are.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Oh we're enacting this asinine logic of "If you disagree you're *insert words of choice here*" are we?
I can just as easily say "If you think DK or AC are even in the same tier as Mario, Zelda and Pokemon then you're delusional" instead of providing an actual argument like "DK is just a subsidiary of Mario at this point and Animal Crossing hasn't had the impact that Pokemon, Zelda and Mario have had".
But I said that along with the explanation.

So I did both. So I said why you're all dummies. :troll:

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593

Last weekend, I got Hyrule Warriors Legends. Very fun game, especially since I've unlocked the Great King himself. :4ganondorf:

I didn't imagine it had so much content to unlock, though. This is going to be a game I'll play for a long while... Not that it's a bad thing, of course.
Nothing much except the big news that Nintendo considered Fire Emblem a major Nintendo IP as of now.

So fights over which is bigger ensued here. :laugh:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
If the third parties had specified abilities, I would have given them:

:4megaman:: Plasma
:4sonic:: Wheel
:4pacman:: Circus
:4ryu:: Fighter
:4cloud:: Sword
:4bayonetta:: Beam
: Stone

Also if it were up to me, I would have given Rosalina...Beam, ESP, or Plasma. I can see why they gave her Ice, but I feel like those three are more fitting.

Last edited:

Volga

Juggling Veteran
NNID
Saltytitan
3DS FC
0533-7336-5044
Onii-chan Joins The Battle!
Oh no.
Just goes to show how different country's/culture's tastes are.
Elise is the most popular character in Japan because imouto powers.
Just can't resist the power of the little girl loving you to death.
But in the US it's probably Camilla. (I'm not sure about Europe/parts of Europe)

But we'll all be converted soon enough. That's the plan

Don't worry hopefully everyone will realize the truth
Sakura > Elise
Now that's a plan!

I liked Elise when I first played Conquest,that also being the first path I picked up. then I saw Sakura and that changed everything.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Honestly, why are we even arguing which is bigger anyways?

Yeah FE is considered important now, but why did DK, and AC come up?

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」

My brother got the game. He's having a blast with Impa. I personally love Toon Link's jump.

I've also been watching the fantastic anime "Erased". Have you seen it?

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703

You missed getting to see the chaos and uncertainty after the Nintendo investors meeting.

As well as all the FE Smash Bros jokes we made. :estatic:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Camilla Busts Into Battle....

To Be Censored For The Kiddies

:troll:

Last edited:

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Animal Crossing on smartphones sounds brilliant btw. That franchise thrives on the casual market. Speaking of that, AC NX when? I need it to destroy the shreds of my social life that are left.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Animal Crossing on smartphones sounds brilliant btw. That franchise thrives on the casual market. Speaking of that, AC NX when? I need it to destroy the shreds of my social life that are left.
I think we are getting a Wii U game.

Isn't the mobile game supposed to connect with another AC game?

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain

Toon Link gives you Cutter, not Sword.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Did people really call FE a bigger franchise than DK?

We're talking about a franchise that is lucky to still be relevant despite releasing more than a dozen games most of which have sold rather poorly...

DK is easily Nintendo's fourth biggest franchise behind Mario, Pokemon, and Zelda...just because there's no games that were released recently doesn't make it less of a franchise...
Kirby and Animal Crossing aren't too far behind either...

I want to say the same about Metroid, but all I can say is that I believe it has the potential to being a flagship franchise for Nintendo...I just wish it was given the proper chance to excel...of course Nintendo does need to make games first...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom