• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Torte is a cake and . . .well

That's about it I think
In addition to torte being a cake, it was the only big-budget all-ages title released during the leak's timeframe.
This may be my least proud moment. But such things happen in the darkest timeline lol.

http://smashboards.com/threads/nint...ack-visited-swa.416098/page-774#post-20312000

*hides*

Sure, some are fake and always were, but it could be like Gematsu in which information changed since the leak.

Because I think it very much stands to reason that Trev's leak was factually accurate at the time it leaked.

Partly because the description given by Trev matched up to the game.

But mostly because all the other more specific stuff did line up and therefore through context Torte City must've been the Kirby game. I mean afawk we aren't getting any other 3ds game this summer that fits that description.
See I had no idea what Torte meant so yeah this adds up.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
So what other new titles can be shown off at E3 this year? Obviously Zelda and probably Pokemon are going to be shown off but there's still a lot of titles to be shown off.

All the games we know about so far that are probably going to show up at E3 or the mini-direct a few weeks before the event are...

- Legend of Zelda (Confirmed)
- Pokemon Sun & Moon
- Paper Mario Color Splash
- Hyrule Warriors Legends DLC
- Dragon Quest ports
- N-Stars
- Other leaked 3DS titles
- Nindies (Either at E3 or in the Mini-Direct)
- Rhythm Heaven Megamix (Mini-Direct)
- Metroid Prime Federation Force (Mini-Direct)
- SMT X FE (Mini-Direct)
- Mother 3 on the Wii U VC (Post-E3)

That leaves significant breathing room for other new titles to be revealed.

Last edited:

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Everyone is sad because of today's news while I'm just here enjoying the EOV Famitsu scans
Must feel bad to be disappointed, don't worry, you'll all get used to it someday
I'm still baffled that people let themselves continue to rage this hard after the last several dozen times this collective fandom threw a gigantic tantrum, up to and including repeatedly getting more worked up than a rabid chihuahua over things that were unconfirmed or even weren't even real. You'd think we'd eventually get tired of being upset about nearly everything.

Personally I haven't quite COMPLETELY transitioned out of it yet, but it's gotten to the point where I've got a bit of a Shrodinger's Reaction set up. Every reveal could simultaneously be the best thing ever, completely disappointing, or absolutely nothing. Take what you roll and develop the most plausible explanation and positive mindset for it possible within 24 hours or less.

At this point I shrug at "bad" news relatively quickly and only get worked up a bit when I see the pitchfork mob keeled over using their eyeball juice to feed the river Styx again. Still can't quite shake the empathic element. . .

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I suppose I will give a more in-depth impressions on Star Fox: Zero...

-The controls and mechanics are honestly the best part to me. With the exception of the Gyrowing, I love how all of the vehicles control. The motion control aiming feels natural to me, even though it takes getting used to. It's encouraged me to use my regular lasers a LOT more than homing shots, as the regular lasers seem like the better option in this game (except for in the Landmaster, the homing shot on that is great since it locks onto multiple targets).

-Graphics definitely look a bit "eh" at times and there are too many pure space levels, but it has a nice style. The character models of the Star Fox crew and such look real nice in the ending cutscene. I wish we saw more of them.

-Story is disappointing. I wasn't expecting much, but considering Miyamoto's comments about it being expanded, and the cliffhanger in the anime, I expected at least something interesting...yeah they really didn't do anything with that. This makes me think more than ever that they really should continue that anime and make it a series, basing episodes on missions from Zero, adding some ACTUAL weight to things. It really is just Star Fox 64 all over again, just with Andross having teleporters.

Also, the big "conspiracy" regarding General Pepper, is...

General Pepper, James McCloud, and the Cornerian Army developed the teleporters in co-operation with Andross, in order to "bring peace to the galaxy" (no literally, those are his exact words...I don't get it either). However, Andross was going a bit mad with power, so Pepper banished him to another dimension using the teleporter technology. And that's why Andross wants revenge.

This is all explained after Pepper's tower gets sucked into a portal and Fox manages to slip in after him. It's all explained really blandly, as you are floating in this otherworldly void with Pepper and the tower.

The problems with this whole thing are:

1) This reveal gets absolutely nothing out of Fox. He doesn't comment on it, he doesn't ask questions, he just yet again listens without question when Pepper tells him he must stop Andross. While Andross does still indeed need to be stopped, they should have had a little scene of Fox at least QUESTIONING Pepper a bit, but no, this entire thing serves no purpose.

2) The ending of the anime implied Peppy would have some kind of deep involvement with the conspiracy, but he doesn't. He's not even a factor in the actual game. Fox is alone with Pepper in this scene, and Peppy...well, never does anything significant to the story, just there for the radio chatter as usual, and he gets separated from the crew instead of Slippy when you get to Titania ,and there's that one secret mission where you play as him and he constantly yells "BARREL ROLL" when you do one.

3) Nothing about this conspiracy is all that...well, controversial in context, meaning it's hardly a conspiracy. While banishing Andross to another dimension is a bit over the top, it's not much different in practice than to how he was banished to the desolate and uninhabitable planet of Venom in the original games. This whole portal thing adds nothing to the lore really. It's still the exact same premise as the original games, really. Andross was a scientist for Corneria but he went mad.

4) General Pepper's morality isn't even questionable. He literally says that the point of the teleporters was to "bring peace to the galaxy". While I can't fathom what he means by that and how they would bring peace, nothing about the scene gives me reason to believe Pepper isn't just Lawful Good. I don't question his morality. I just question his intelligence, because that line just sounds so stupid. If they wanted me to question Pepper, they should have made it something along the lines of that Pepper exploited Andross and exaggerated how mad he had gone, and maybe embarked on a mission to get rid of him, all as part of an elaborate plan to gain more power in the Cornerian military. Now THAT could have been something worth talking about, but Pepper's big secret is literally no big deal in the end.

-The music is fantastic, really gets you pumped. Not as easy to remember, but not in a bad way, the compositions are just more complex and tuned to the levels.

-The game needed more content. Online multiplayer would have been enough.

-Falco says "Personally, I prefer the air" at one point, and that made me smile.

Overall it's a great game, but I'm not sure I can recommend it at full price, unless you are super into Star Fox (I am too but even I feel a bit ripped off, even though I enjoy the game).

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I think December made me jaded to the point where it's hard for me to get upset with Nintendo.

Last edited:

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Been playing some Mira on Killer Instinct.

She's the hardest glass cannon character I've played (I'm not an expert at traditional fighters, fyi). Curious to know more of her backstory though.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I think December made me jaded to the point where it's hard for me to get upset with Nintendo.
I think any survivor of the Great News Drought of '15 is hardened enough to weather this out.

Nintendo truly separates the wheat from he chaff.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
I think any survivor of the Great News Drought of '15 is hardened enough to weather this out.

Who cares if E3 isn't the point when the famine finally ends.

We have a release window.

We almost there boys.

. . .Also any Pokemon fans in the audience should have something to keep them busy in the meantime within, like, 2-3 weeks. All us Pokemon fans should at least get to hang out at the oasis until the famine is over.

. . .*puts on Sun and Moon shaped sunglasses and sets out a lawn chair on the sand*

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I just stopped a mystery shopper scam

Fradulant check of $2000

Although the victem gave his ss# to the criminals so they have enough info for idenity theft

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703

Ha! You can say that again. That news drought was really tedious. We had no idea what was going to happen and everything was a constant state of unknown. People were getting upset at the lack of any Nintendo news and lack of Smash Bros content. What a crappy time that was.
Who cares if E3 isn't the point when the famine finally ends.

We have a release window.

We almost there boys.

. . .Also any Pokemon fans in the audience should have something to keep them busy in the meantime within, like, 2-3 weeks. All us Pokemon fans should at least get to hang out at the oasis until the famine is over.

. . .*puts on Sun and Moon shaped sunglasses and sets out a lawn chair on the sand*
True. We have Sun and Moon as well as other potential games to wait out 2016. If anything i'll just stick to Sony for this year and get the NX sometime in 2017 (probably June-September).

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Omg

Figuarts tmnt!

Edit:

They have Leo and don

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I just looked at The Completionist's review of Star Fox: Zero. Wanted to see what the bonus for unlocking all of the medals is.

It just allows you to use the Retro Arwing and Black Arwing without using the Fox and Falco amiibo figures.

It also gives you a special title screen, which admittedly looks cool, but still...that's super disappointing. This game really could have used some extra content and cool bonuses to give an incentive for more people to get good at the game.
Arcade Mode can be a challenge though, since you can't stock up on lives there. If you do complete Arcade Mode for the first time, then Sound Test will become available; Sound Test also displays models of the Star Fox team, General Pepper, Andross, and even the different vehicles.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Anyway, here's some of my possibility predictions for the NX:

>NX has unique gimmick

>Everyone is upset because Nintendo made another console with a gimmick, several members of crowd declare on the spot they are never buying a Nintendo console again, Nintendo is doomed

>Said gimmick turns out to have far less influence on how games handle than either Wii or Wii U, normal games can and are being developed

>Everyone ignores this, focuses on the fact that it's a gimmick at all, Nintendo is doomed

>NX has a shockingly good launch library, including many of the games people complained were missing from the Wii U at launch

>People ignore this, go out of their way to look for any series that don't get games at launch, say because the system didn't launch with those games that the NX is a failure, Nintendo is doomed

>Any games that are announced, no matter how wanted before and no matter how well handled, are suddenly failures, any and all flaws from every launch title are picked to the bone and waved around triumphantly like banners as though those who have negative opinions on something a corporation produces are brave knights who have just defeated a terrible monster, Nintendo is doomed

>NX turns out to be easy to port third party titles to, has surprising amount of third party support, and is as powerful as contemporary systems

>People complain that it's not as powerful as systems that don't even have individual libraries or haven't even been so much as announced to be coming into existence yet, complaints are raised about any and all third party games not ported to the system while ignoring any games that are, Nintendo is doomed

>NX is not a smartphone, therefore Nintendo is doomed

>NX actually is a smartphone, Nintendo is doomed

>NX is not the same as the other two systems on the market only with 4K and Nintendo games, Nintendo is doomed

>NX is hated by gamers before it's even revealed, Nintendo is doomed

>Nintendo adopts marketing campaign, exploits free mobile apps for media exposure, NX becomes semi-popular with casuals, NX sells better than Wii U or Gamecube anyway, Nintendo does not go under, Nintendo continues making systems

>Nintendo has casual cooties in it's userbase, Nintendo is doomed

>Casuals attempt to enter Nintendo fan communities, Nintendo fans are upset and actively try to drive them out for not being true fans

>Nintendo fans fail to scare away casuals, new fans are integrated, clique is less exclusive, Nintendo is doomed

>NX does well but does not "win," Nintendo has failed, Nintendo is doomed, Nintendo still mysteriously keeps releasing systems anyway, Nintendo is doomed

>NX turns out to be handheld-console hybrid

>NX has console Pokemon and a singular version of Smash Bros that contains Ice Climbers

>Said games are not Metroid Prime, Nintendo is doomed

>A Metroid Prime styled game actually comes out

>Said game is not F-Zero, Nintendo sucks, Nintendo is doomed

>Nintendo is doomed

. . .Alternatively, Nintendo could just burn to the ground and die after this, but since everyone else is predicting that I thought I'd get a little more colorful and descriptive as to a hypothetical NX-state. :awesome:

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
If Nintendo dies, then that's a "fatal" blow for a lot of the company's major franchises.
Wasn't there an interview where they said that Nintendo would stop making Mario games altogether if they dropped out of the console market instead of making Mario games for competing systems? Obviously their philosophy could have changed since then, but. . .

Last edited:

Jesus, I expected nothing today and we've gotten so much news. Huge amount of financial info (console sales, software sales [Brawl sold another 500,000 over 2 quarters) etc

A little bit of info on Nintendo's restructuring

There are at least like 10 Nintendo threads on GAF about all that stuff.

I was not expecting that much today :eek:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I don't know if you guys care about this, but i think you should check this out:
It's a fan-made animated series of Star-Fox. It has a very 70's-esque feel to it. Also if this was an Adult Cartoon, it would be ten times better than 90% of Adult Cartoons.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I've got to say that this is good news. Fire Emblem had a long tough road getting where it is today and it's now considered a major IP in the company's eyes. This is definitely a huge accomplishment for both the current Fire Emblem fandom and Intelligent Systems. If only the same thing could be said for Advance Wars since it's been dead for a while.

https://mynintendonews.com/2016/04/28/fire-emblem-is-now-considered-a-major-ip-for-nintendo/
First of all that Chrom art is beautiful.

Second of all nice. I may have only played Awakening and 20 chapters of 7 but i'm excited for the series' future. It being "major" only sounds like good news to me.

To many more!

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
That moment when people less knowledgeable about the job and have been there less time than you, not to mention disobey orders and slack off ARE PROMOTED BEFORE YOU TO YOUR SUPERIOR

Burruni

Smash Hero
Man.
Realtalk.
Fire Emblem's had a long road.
A japan-exclusive series (and a niche one at that) for 13 years (1990-2003).
First seen in the states in any form in Melee (and almost didn't at that) in 2001 and got its first international release with decent sells but certainly not a powerhouse series.
After the risky attempt to try to go "all out" on some a console duology, the series almost dies out.
In a state of mild panic, the two games of the "face" of the series attempt to be remade for the handheld system but barely hold water.
One final stand, an experimental attempt of a blockbuster title with the series' life depending on it. And DAMN it worked.
(The perspective of Awakening outselling SF 64 3D and Command COMBINED). A game that actually broke a million copies sold, which... I think may have been a first for the series and if not it was the first time in nearly 10 years.
Now we have a game that's broken 2 million before it's even hit PAL, being one of the frontline IPs for the mobile front, and damn if I can't see a "reattempt" of the OVA in the form of turning Marth's games into a two-part movie series.

Edit: Awakening was indeed the first title to break a million.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
This is a bootleg figure

But check this out

By the same creators of that fantastic Krang figure

That $300 Krang figure

Expensive, high quality bootlegs

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
If only the same thing could be said for Advance Wars since it's been dead for a while.
I really really wish that Advance Wars can make a comeback like Fire Emblem did with Awakening and become a mainstay Nintendo series. I mean really. If FE can do it then so can AW. At one point of time AW was doing just as good if not even better than FE (around the mid-2000's) so IS needs to give AW another go and see if it can attain success even if it's not Awakening level success.

Who knows? Maybe it will break a million units? The first AW game did 700,000 units worldwide and it didn't even have a Japanese launch. That's a very impressive feat right there. I feel that the interest is there and the series needs another go. Maybe that's just the longtime AW fan speaking here but it doesn't deserve to be left in FE's shadow.
Man.
Realtalk.
Fire Emblem's had a long road.
A japan-exclusive series (and a niche one at that) for 13 years (1990-2003).
First seen in the states in any form in Melee (and almost didn't at that) in 2001 and got its first international release with decent sells but certainly not a powerhouse series.
After the risky attempt to try to go "all out" on some a console duology, the series almost dies out.
In a state of mild panic, the two games of the "face" of the series attempt to be remade for the handheld system but barely hold water.
One final stand, an experimental attempt of a blockbuster title with the series' life depending on it. And DAMN it worked.
(The perspective of Awakening outselling SF 64 3D and Command COMBINED). A game that actually broke a million copies sold, which... I think may have been a first for the series and if not it was the first time in nearly 10 years.
Now we have a game that's broken 2 million before it's even hit PAL, being one of the frontline IPs for the mobile front, and damn if I can't see a "reattempt" of the OVA in the form of turning Marth's games into a two-part movie series.

Edit: Awakening was indeed the first title to break a million.
FE7 came really close to breaking the million mark.

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
I've got to say that this is good news. Fire Emblem had a long tough road getting where it is today and it's now considered a major IP in the company's eyes. This is definitely a huge accomplishment for both the current Fire Emblem fandom and Intelligent Systems. If only the same thing could be said for Advance Wars since it's been dead for a while.

https://mynintendonews.com/2016/04/28/fire-emblem-is-now-considered-a-major-ip-for-nintendo/
Remember when we were joking about more Fire Emblem reps in Smash earlier? Now I'm scared.

But congrats on my fourth favorite Nintendo franchise getting bigger than it was before. It's honestly very heartwarming to see how far it went from dropping with Path of Radiace to doing better with Awakening's mass appeal. At least Intelligent Systems can handle the series with care in the future unlike Paper Gimmick Mario.

Last edited:

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
I downloaded the demo for the Solitaire/Horse-Racing combo game that Game Freak made.
I can't believe I'm saying this, but It's good. REALLY good.
So good that I will definitely buy he game when it comes out.
It's very dynamic, deep, and strategic. I have no clue how it can work so well, but it does.
Y'all should check it out.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Remember when we were joking about more Fire Emblem reps in Smash earlier? No I'm scared.
Don't worry, we won't be getting too many Fire Emblem characters (I hope). At best, I'll only expect the next Lord/Avatar from Fire Emblem 15 for promotional purposes or Anna if we're lucky enough.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo

Now the real question is when will the FE visual novel come out?
It's going to happen eventually.

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
I downloaded the demo for the Solitaire/Horse-Racing combo game that Game Freak made.
I can't believe I'm saying this, but It's good. REALLY good.
So good that I will definitely buy he game when it comes out.
It's very dynamic, deep, and strategic. I have no clue how it can work so well, but it does.
Y'all should check it out.
Ill be downloading it in that case. I gotta see it to believe it.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904

Jesus, I expected nothing today and we've gotten so much news. Huge amount of financial info (console sales, software sales [Brawl sold another 500,000 over 2 quarters) etc

A little bit of info on Nintendo's restructuring

There are at least like 10 Nintendo threads on GAF about all that stuff.

I was not expecting that much today :eek:
Yeah, we got some interesting news today, it just wasn't the news people were looking for so it initially got dismissed.

I'd ask what the restructuring described means for Nintendo, but it seems no one on that topic seems to have the faintest clue on the matter, so there probably isn't any satisfactory answer. Still, if I'm wrong and there IS a satisfactory answer for what it means, please tell me because I don't quite have a grasp on the situation.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Ok.
Anyone who has HW: Legends
Where do I grind materials off of Young Links?
I need like 4 of his silver and 2 of his gold before I take on Skull Kid's Lv3 Weapon mission

Edit: For now I guess a "defeat all enemies" map with him on the great sea will do...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom