• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Maybe, but I don't think companies actually do that. They usually try to make sure that the product really is in demand rather than outright giving in to it. Capcom did that by re-releasing one of the Darkstalkers games to test the waters and the sales told them, although a lot of people were clamoring for it, it wasn't really enough to justify making a new entry. They did the same thing with Hyper Street Fighter II to gauge interest in Street Fighter IV, obviously that succeeded.

Maybe Nintendo runs things differently than other companies, but I can't imagine they literally just gave in without testing waters first.
Star Fox 64 3D was them testing the waters.

And it sold well.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
Maybe they are viewing it like a spiderman reboot

Where they have to tell the same damn origin story over and over but with the small differences that will make up this "Special" iteration of the series

Before they move onto something new
The Spider-Man reboots are only the same in that the tell the origins of how Peter Parker became Spider-Man. After that they're all different, not even small differences.

Like, I get they're both green, but you can't tell me The Green Goblin is only a slight difference from The Lizard

From what I understand, Star Fox actually only has slight differences from their stories.

Star Fox 64 3D was them testing the waters.

And it sold well.
Oh yeah, that was a game.

Last edited:

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
It's because people wouldn't stop requesting it.

It's a give in to demand.
Yep.

People wanted more Star Fox 64, so Nintendo gave them more Star Fox 64.

Consumer Sovereignty my boi.

I KNOW ITS DOUBLE POSTING BUT...

OH ****!??!?!?!

Last edited by a moderator:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Is this conference going to have a live blog like last time?

I KNOW ITS DOUBLE POSTING BUT...

OH ****!
OH.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

NX is launching next March.

This is nice, and disconfirms all those rumors claiming it'd launch this year.

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
im once again vindicated in saying NX wont launch this year

i dont normally meme but ill allow it just this once "feels good man"

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
My birthdays in March

March is a weird launch time.

I guess if I wanted to afford the system, March is probably the best time for me

It's also during tax season, when I get my return

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
im once again vindicated in saying NX wont launch this year

i dont normally meme but ill allow it just this once "feels good man"
Well personally I'd rather be wrong and get a bunch of new stuff this holiday than being right and having to wait almost a year... but to each their own.

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
Well personally I'd rather be wrong and get a bunch of new stuff this holiday than being right and having to wait almost a year... but to each their own.
id rather be right and be able to not have to worry about buying the games i want that are confirmed out this year ontop of a new system

and i am!

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
March 2017?

I think that pre-empitvley killed the Christmas season for the WiiU. Unless the push the backward compatability angle. You know, that thing that Microsoft and Sony treat as an afterthought?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
The fact that there won't be any NX stuff at E3 is an awful decision. Nintendo better have a lot up their sleeve if they're that confident without it. :/

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
So Zelda Wii U is officially Wii U and NX

Ninja'd

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Trying to watch the minion movie, but ...Eh?

It's got a serious tonal issue.

The minions are supposed to serve evil but they never express any evil habits. And the few times they do it seems like their breaking character. They seem like innocent albeit ******** children most of the other time.

I'm also not really sure who the audience of the film is supposed to be. It's a kids cartoon where the main character can't speak properly, yet is focused on the "villains" point of view and has a surprisingly high body count. Not to mention it takes place in the 60's. It's clashing ideas with villains mixed with innocent child-like beings. All while being a period peice, with jokes and references children probably won't understand.

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
The fact that there won't be any NX stuff at E3 is an awful decision. Nintendo better have a lot up their sleeve if they're that confident without it. :/
its not like directs stopped existing and they have done a direct on a new "console" before in the new3ds

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
The only reason I'd see it as not an awful decision is if they have literally nothing to show for it in terms of games and such by time E3 2016 comes around.
Well I mean, yeah, they can still pull some surprises (though the 3DS is a bit limited by the Niji/N-Stars leak as far as what to expect, the latter being probably the only big 3DS thing at E3), but considering we've got, likely, less than a year left of Wii U releases makes me think they're winding down.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
Maybe? E3 is a huge thing, but it seems nowadays companies are opting to put on their own shows. Square Enix with Uncover Final Fantasy XV, Sony and Microsoft when announcing their consoles, Blizzcon, Quakecon, etc. I read something about how E3, although really useful, is also really expensive and in a lot of cases not worth it because not everyone is focusing on one thing. Square Enix would've never been able to do an hour long performance if they waited till E3. Perhaps Nintendo is planning the same thing.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Oh wow.

Like, Animal Crossing makes sense, but wow. I really want to see how the mobile Fire Emblem game works out.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
This is pretty bad, both in fan terms and business terms. A March release is hardly ideal for a console and Nintendo not using the E3 prior to release to talk about their console is kinda... ****ed. :/

And also having to wait almost a year with a system that's already close to dead won't be funnnnnn.

May end up getting a PS4 in the interim lol.
Who are we kidding I can't afford two consoles in a single year. xp

GL Nintendo.

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
again they are more than likely going to do a NX direct at a time where they wont have to share the limelight with sony and microsoft and you know they will hype that direct up to all hell and back

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
again they are more than likely going to do a NX direct at a time where they wont have to share the limelight with sony and microsoft and you know they will hype that direct up to all hell and back
I just hope that it happens sooner than later. But with a March 2017 release who knows, they could wait most of 2016 before showing it off.

Still even with a huge "Media Event" reveal at a time and place of their choosing, passing on E3 exposure is... a questionable choice imo.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
FE8 works just fine on my Samsung Galaxy S5, so it shouldn't be too bad.
Oh I have no doubt that structurally it'll be fine.

I meant more along the lines of design choices. Touch controls when moving across the map a la Flow or other similar games seems like a given, for example, but as far as a purely mobile experience, I'm curious as to what they'll do. Good thing they seem to not be doing microtransactions. Imagine paying for paralogues and recruitments?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
AC on mobile makes total sense. FE sounds ****ing weird to me but since it'll be built ground-up for mobile I guess it'll be fine...

Still seems like other IPs would've been a better fit tho.

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
I just hope that it happens sooner than later. But with a March 2017 release who knows, they could wait most of 2016 before showing it off.

Still even with a huge "Media Event" reveal at a time and place of their choosing, passing on E3 exposure is... a questionable choice imo.
what makes more sense revealing your new system at a time where it can be overshadowed by whatever stupid fad game is coming out? or during a time where you will have everyones full attention?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Mobile Fire Emblem might just be the thing I'm most excited about now. It just seems so out there, but man...I want to see how it's done. I imagine it'd be a paid game, as opposed to free-to-play.

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
At this point I think the E3 Digital Event will be 20 minutes of Zelda Nukem Forever, 10 of Pokémon SM, 15 of other titles and 5 of Reggie and Bill doing random ****.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
what makes more sense revealing your new system at a time where it can be overshadowed by whatever stupid fad game is coming out? or during a time where you will have everyones full attention?
Exposure. Yes, it's a shared spotlight, but E3 is also far and away the biggest stage, so to speak, for exposure. That's incredibly important. Nintendo Directs are aimed solely at Nintendo fans, while an E3 presentation gives them access to a much larger market to tap.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
Passing on E3 really isn't a big deal at all though. Again, Sonic and Microsoft had separate conferences to reveal their consoles because they recognized it'd be tougher revealing them at E3. Having your own conference eliminates competition cause it's all about you instead of every other competitor out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom