• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
*counts*

Splatoon. . .Golden Sun. . .Rhythm Heaven. . .Excitebike. . .

. . .Halp, I ran out of unrepresented first party series that have games that have broken 1 million units on the Wikipedia system sales lists. Can someone give me a better point of reference so I can continue?
Donkey Kong.

They didn't say "new" series ;)

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
*counts*

Splatoon. . .Golden Sun. . .Rhythm Heaven. . .Excitebike. . .

. . .Halp, I ran out of unrepresented first party series that have games that have broken 1 million units on the Wikipedia system sales lists. Can someone give me a better point of reference so I can continue?
Inklings, Isaac and the Excitebiker are all great choices.

Donkey Kong.

They didn't say "new" series ;)
DK Series Icon for Smash!:troll:

No but seriously, both K. Rool and Dixie would be ideal.

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Rhythm Heaven
But the real hard part is picking which character would best represent it.

There is the heavily rumored Chorus Kids along with Karate Joe and the Samurai (who appeared in every title since the first). Rhythm Girl (aka Tap Girl) is another option since she is usually seen advertising most games and had her own minigame in the first one. And lastly, there's the famous Wrestler who posed for the fans next to the cutest interviewer in history since Fever.

Finding a Rhythm Heaven character for Smash would be one tough nut to crack.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593

There is the heavily rumored Chorus Kids along with Karate Joe and the Samurai (who appeared in every title since the first). Rhythm Girl (aka Tap Girl) is another option since she is usually seen advertising most games and had her own minigame in the first one. And lastly, there's the famous Wrestler who posed for the fans next to the cutest interviewer in history since Fever.

There, problem solved. Then we can have a true grappler in Smash for once.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Don't really seeing that being too useful when you remember that the NES controller has only 4 buttons.
The one main improvement i can see is some games work better with analog sticks rather than d pad.

Other than that, the NES wasn't made for comfort.

I wonder if they can made the additional buttons function as turbo? I dunno how those work...

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Inklings, Isaac and the Excitebiker are all great choices.
I think I may have read somewhere that Excitebiker may have had issues with, you know, being on a bike all the time, although when I went to check I didn't quite find where I had seen it. He's got the sales, but whether or not they implement him is dependent on whether or not they want to work around that, which is probably why Takamaru was brought up more recently but not him.

The other two have no such problems, though. Isaac is a bit of an unknown whether he'll be considered despite his high qualification, but the Inklings have practically got it MADE. The squid kids are practically in Olimar's exact situation during Melee, only with quadruple the sales he had. If they make another Smash game with a normal newcomer spread, I'm EXPECTING them, and that's very obviously not something to say lightly.

Yeah, the series itself obviously earned the potential for a spot, the trick is figuring out who actually gets to fill the position. Typically if I put a Rhythm Heaven character on a roster, it's just a placeholder for something from the series in general.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
B-But...what about THIS GUY?! View attachment 105233
One word: ****onami

I would love to have him in Smash so badly. In a perfect world, him and Simon Belmont (not the Light Yagami reject from Judgement) would be added along with the return of Snake. But we can't have the nice things all the time I guess.

_Silver_

I don't even know anymore.
NNID
coffeeman65
3DS FC
1349-8695-1576

I would love to have him in Smash so badly. In a perfect world, him and Simon Belmont (not the Light Yagami reject from Judgement) would be added along with the return of Snake. But we can't have the nice things all the time I guess.
Oh yeah. I forgot about that.

r.i.p. Hudson

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593

The more I hear about that game, I cringe. Who's idea was it to make every Castlevania character into Death Note rejects and ********ize their personalities? Making Death a skinny Shinigami was one thing, but turning Maria into Discount Misa Amane with stereotypical cuteness and a breast envy make me question the validity of Judgement.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
SW-6660-1506-8804
The more I hear about that game, I cringe. Who's idea was it to make every Castlevania character into Death Note rejects and ********ize their personalities? Making Death a skinny Shinigami was one thing, but turning Maria into Discount Misa Amane with stereotypical cuteness and a breast envy make me question the validity of Judgement.
I can see the entirety of Judgement's development being themed around Death Note.
Doing concept art and taking notes? Be sure to dramatically swipe your pens and pencils when you lift them off the paper.
Food plans? They'll take a Potato Chip... AND EAT IT!
Also Apples because Gods of Death love Apples.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Gonna be honest, people keep talking about new series to add to Smash, but honestly I think Splatoon and Rhythm Heaven are the only two series Nintendo has left that I think warrant an inclusion. Looking at the new franchises Sakurai added to Smash over the years, those two are the only ones that actually fit in line.

The rest are really small time series like Chibi-Robo!, Fossil Fighters, Wonderful 101, etc that are kinda the reason Sakurai went ahead and made trophies as well as assist trophies. I'd say how many new series we'll see added in future Smash games really depends on how many new major IPs Nintendo's internal studios make in the wake of Splatoon, or maybe one of those minor second party developed series like Golden Sun suddenly coming back to life and becoming super popular like Pokemon or something.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Just got back from Dennie's where they had this

TRIPLE BACON SAMPLER

Eggs, Hashbrowns and (I substituted toast for an English muffin)

Bacon, Turkey Bacon, and Jalapeno Bacon

This is what breakfast should be

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
But I can guarantee one thing. Indie characters are pretty unlikely in the realm of third parties unless for some reason Sakurai takes a liking to one. Even getting a trophy would be the most generous thing he can do if CommanderVideo is anything to go off of.

So expecting things like Shantae, Shovel Knight, Quote, Super Meat Boy, Undertale, or Freedom Planet would require plenty of wishing since they are pipe dreams at best. The only exception I can think of would be Minecraft's Steve, but that depends if Microsoft aren't stingy with the IP (hence why we couldn't get Banjo in the long run).

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I could see Shovel Knight getting a trophy, though. Nintendo is actually publishing his game in Japan. I think that's why Rayman got one in Smash 4 (they published Rayman Legends in Japan).

Last edited:

BandanaWaddleDee

Smash Lord
NNID
bdon25
3DS FC
1633-4187-3079
Switch FC
2967-5142-5603
Question: So you pay for the humble bundle using eShop funds or something else?

_Silver_

I don't even know anymore.
NNID
coffeeman65
3DS FC
1349-8695-1576
I could see Shovel Knight getting a trophy, though. Nintendo is actually publishing his game in Japan. I think that's why Rayman got one in Smash 4 (they published Rayman Legends in Japan).
GRAND DAD.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885

This is another item on the menu

I'm not really sure how to feel about this

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Gonna be honest, people keep talking about new series to add to Smash, but honestly I think Splatoon and Rhythm Heaven are the only two series Nintendo has left that I think warrant an inclusion. Looking at the new franchises Sakurai added to Smash over the years, those two are the only ones that actually fit in line.

The rest are really small time series like Chibi-Robo!, Fossil Fighters, Wonderful 101, etc that are kinda the reason Sakurai went ahead and made trophies as well as assist trophies. I'd say how many new series we'll see added in future Smash games really depends on how many new major IPs Nintendo's internal studios make in the wake of Splatoon, or maybe one of those minor second party developed series like Golden Sun suddenly coming back to life and becoming super popular like Pokemon or something.
I actually agree, although a lot of supporters of more minor characters are going to take issue to my saying that.

I'm willing to extend Golden Sun a bit of courtesy because the first game actually sold enough to make it onto a high sales list and what Isaac's capable of seems VERY interesting, but anything below that I feel is at the very least noticeably unlikely. I'm not saying the characters suck in the slightest, as many of them actually do have interesting potential, I just don't think it's likely they'll be in Smash due to how little of an impact they made in anything OTHER than Smash roster creation.

Now granted, we've had our exceptions, but the last full exception we've had was Shulk, who while obscure himself had the whole Project Rainfall thing behind him with his game at the forefront. Most of these characters. . .don't exactly have an army of loyal fans rallying behind them desperate to get their games brought to their shores.

My take on it is as follows.

Trophy? Yes.

Mii Costume? Could easily happen.

Assist Trophy? Who knows?

Playable? . . .Doubt it.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904

This is another item on the menu

I'm not really sure how to feel about this
Bacon is naturally complimented by sugar.

It'll take the right mood to enjoy the wave of calories, but there's nothing really wrong with what I'm looking at.

I mean, it's not like they fried it first. :troll:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
But I can guarantee one thing. Indie characters are pretty unlikely in the realm of third parties unless for some reason Sakurai takes a liking to one. Even getting a trophy would be the most generous thing he can do if CommanderVideo is anything to go off of.

So expecting things like Shantae, Shovel Knight, Quote, Super Meat Boy, Undertale, or Freedom Planet would require plenty of wishing since they are pipe dreams at best. The only exception I can think of would be Minecraft's Steve, but that depends if Microsoft aren't stingy with the IP (hence why we couldn't get Banjo in the long run).
I don't see Shovel Knight as a pure pipe dream.

Especially if the upcoming Japanese release of the game does well.

I mean he has an amiibo. That doesn't DIRECTLY mean anything in terms of "he has an amiibo so it must work in Smash, right????" (a lot of people made that assumption).

But you can't deny the growing significance of Shovel Knight as a franchise, it stands above the rest. It's only one game right now, and it's at a really impressive stage when it comes to merchandise and business deals with other companies (Freedom Planet being second for this sort of thing). I sincerely believe Shovel Knight and Lilac have the potential to be the next Mario and Sonic in the coming years, and I think it's only a matter of time. It's not just "a game that some people like", the reason why Shovel Knight is kicking off so well because despite being made by a small team, they've managed to make the game FEEL like the big new game series' from the 80's and 90's.

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
Bacon is naturally complimented by sugar.

It'll take the right mood to enjoy the wave of calories, but there's nothing really wrong with what I'm looking at.

I mean, it's not like they fried it first. :troll:
Bacon + anything = good
It's a fact.

DoodleDuck97

Smash Hero
Living in a peacefull place on nowhere islands.
So I just completed Star Fox Zero within the last hour, and I have to say for someone who has literally only played a tiny bit of Star fox 3d the game was utter blast. Regardless of people's complaints about the controls I happened to find them fun and refreshing. I actually got into the hang of constantly looking at the TV screen rather than having to switch back and forth with the Game pad.
It has great Gameplay in each of the Vehicles that they let you control.
It never got boring only more exciting.
It has great characters and memorable quotes (Bonus points for Falco's Final Smash Line being in there)
The soundtrack is godly and easily one of my favourite Video game OST.
The only thing that I can possibly say about the game is the controls took a bit of time getting used too and the game's story could of been a bit longer.
This game I definitely in my top 10 games for the Wii U and I enjoyed every single moment of the experience.
:4fox:Rest Easy Team Star Fox:4falco:

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
Bacon is the reason why the way world is.It shaped our very nation.The civil war,fought because the south wanted all the bacon for themselves.Bacon was the thing that inspired George Lucas to make star wars, Bacon is the only more loved than babies and cats. Bacon is great.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom