• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrono.

DS3 isn't a good starting point but at least it isn't DeS.

Man that start is a kick in the teeth.
I would've started with Bloodborne (love the visuals for it) but I have a pretty awful phobia of spiders, which apparently that game has a lot of.

I know all Souls game have 'em (apparently DS2 in particular is spider town), but DS3 seems to have the least amount/least realistic looking ones.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Oh boy, Deadline is trying to revive an established character like Betty Boop and focus on the teenage audience. And just when I didn't think things could be worse after The Looney Tunes Show.
They're going to dig that far back for something to destroy?

. . .Oh boy, this isn't going to end well.

With how badly things from the 70's and 80's turn out when "adapted" to a modern audience, I can hardly imagine what kind of missteps are going to be made here.

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
I'm pretty sure a new Xenoblade Chronicles game will happen before Smash 5 with a new main character.
Eh... Development of XCX began in 2010 while Smash 4 started in 2012. As far as I'm aware, Sakurai decides the majority of the roster at the start of development. Based on Smash 4's relatively short development cycle, the Smash series more likely to release a successor before a third Xenoblade game. But even if they come out around the same time, it'll be too late to include a hypothetical new Xenoblade protagonist.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Oh boy, Deadline is trying to revive an established character like Betty Boop and focus on the teenage audience. And just when I didn't think things could be worse after The Looney Tunes Show.

This is what I always think about when Betty Boop comes up. This specific cartoon.

Although what I prefer are the unusual episodes where they used Rotoscope for surreal songs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDATXtewPrg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHqjMhD04uA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoJkxNa6v14 (The character Oogie Boogie from Nightmare before Christmas was influenced by this episode)

---

There is no way a modern cartoon would be able to capture any of that. Especially focusing on the teenage audience of todays world

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Oh boy, Deadline is trying to revive an established character like Betty Boop and focus on the teenage audience. And just when I didn't think things could be worse after The Little Lulu Show and Dora's Explorer Girls.
Fixed that for you.

This is bad on many levels. Why would you revive a character that was original meant for adults and make her a teen role model? We already seen how things went with the Powerpuff Girls reboot with their modern day pandering of memes and twerking. Max Fleischer must be rolling in his grave right now.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
. . .So going through the comments of that review, and I think I just witnessed two trolls get into some kind of troll fight where they kept trying to one-up each other.

I haven't seen something this absurd since I left GameFAQs.

I've seen plenty angrier, including said review, but I haven't seen anything quite this surrealistically childish.

If I weren't so upset at myself for making a mistake about how the review worked, I'd be laughing at how it crossed the line twice.

Last edited:

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
Fixed that for you.

This is bad on many levels. Why would you revive a character that was original meant for adults and make her a teen role model? We already seen how things went with the Powerpuff Girls reboot with their modern day pandering of memes and twerking. Max Fleischer must be rolling in his grave right now.
How one reboot was handled isn't a sign of how another reboot will be handled. With that said, aiming Betty Boop towards a teenage audience does seem odd. Actually, could Betty Boop work today even if it was aimed at adults? She's from the 1930s these are completely different times. It'd probably be best to create new Betty Boop for this generation rather than reviving the old one

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
With how badly things from the 70's and 80's turn out when "adapted" to a modern audience, I can hardly imagine what kind of missteps are going to be made here.
The type of things you can expect out of the Internet, especially Tumblr. Oh, and plenty of teenage angst since that's exactly what she needs for her character development.

Can't wait to see Betty trying to make her own duckface meme next to her friends. We have seen no trailer yet and I can already tell this animated revival will be a travesty.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I Dunno, people these days are using Marilyn Monroe as a type of role model. Betty Boop could be seen in the same vein as that

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
I'd love to play Dark Souls III sometime in the future. We had it playing at our Game and Anime club mingle, and I really liked what I saw. Fast paced and difficult, one wrong move, "You died..."

I feel somewhat more conservative about buying new games this year. My library of Wii U games would probably just need SF0 for me to say 'I'm finished for now.' The list of PS4 games I have is growing steadily with some very good games recently i.e Ratchet and Clank and The Handsome Collection. But there's one other factor I'd like to keep track of - beating these games. I've still put money towards Bravely Second, and I haven't even finished the Fire Temple in Bravely Default. (And Qada is a monster, difficulty wise and personality wise)

For now, unless it's a game that I really want, I don't feel the same urgency to have it in my collection, (unless I feel like I need to beat some other games, of which I have too many of... Top of the list, Metroid Prime)

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
How one reboot was handled isn't a sign of how another reboot will be handled. With that said, aiming Betty Boop towards a teenage audience does seem odd. Actually, could Betty Boop work today even if it was aimed at adults? She's from the 1930s these are completely different times. It'd probably be best to create new Betty Boop for this generation rather than reviving the old one
You may be right, using other reboots from the past is a stretch and it depends on how team handles it. With how adult cartoons are these days, I doubt she would have easily fit in unless it was in the vein of The Simpsons. If Bugs can be flexible with these newer animated appearances, then so can Betty if they know what to do.

The flapper look would probably be ditched given the knew audience she will be given. But Psycho's statement leads me to believe that her timeless appearance could still work in the reboot.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Oh man! this is savage!~
I can't believe Uncle Grandpa did this lmao.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Looking at Adult Swim's current line up reminds me of how crass and tasteless adult shows had been getting lately. Some either try too hard to be offensive while the animation can be edgy to the point of being silly. We have good shows like Bob's Burgers and then bad ones like King Star King. My very reaction to watching that show's premiere was the very embodiment of rage and mind****. One can make intelligent adult animation without being complete ****. Even Aqua Teen Hunger Force had more wit in comparison to that acid drug trip cartoon from hell.

And yes, I'm a new follower of TheMysteriousMr.Enter as of now. He's got great insight on what good writing to expect out of animation today (even with his vocal hatedom).

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Gotta say, I've barely seen any positive opinions for SFZ.

Funnily enough, the more positives ones have been from reviewers themselves (Sterling, Polygon and GiantBomb aside). The general public seems much more unforgiving, it's also becoming common to say that SFZ represents everything wrong with modern Nintendo (tm).

I haven't gotten the game myself, mostly because I have no way to try it out and I'd need a couple runs to see how the motion controlling works. Instead I went for Dark Souls III (itself also a risk, as I've not played any Souls game before).

I can't say I liked the review, but Jim doesn't make money off his site.

As you'll notice there's no ads.
I've seen the opposite actually.

Most people seem to like it.

Do we have sales figures for the game?

D

Deleted member

Oh man! this is savage!~
I can't believe Uncle Grandpa did this lmao.
Did they just fired shots to the Kids Choice Awards for constantly having Spongebob as the winner of everything?

EDIT: Forget what i said, i just saw Dexter and Dee Dee too.

Last edited by a moderator:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Looking at Adult Swim's current line up reminds me of how crash and tasteless adult shows had been getting lately. Some either try too hard to be offensive while the animation can be edgy to the point of being silly. We have good shows like Bob's Burgers and then bad ones like King Star King. My very reaction to watching that show's premiere was the very embodiment of rage and mind****. One can make intelligent adult animation without being complete ****. Even Aqua Teen Hunger Force had more wit in comparison to that acid drug trip cartoon from hell.

And yes, I'm a new follower of TheMysteriousMr.Enter as of now. He's got great insight on what good writing to expect out of animation today (even with his vocal hatedom).
OMG I couldn't even watch Mr. Enter's review of King Star King because of how horrible it was. I know he was calling it bad and all, but that didn't stop it from being so bad I couldn't even watch it being bashed

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I think Betty Boop was a product of her times that now should exist mostly as a beloved throwback. You don't see people doing the Charleston or listening to swing music much anymore either. It was a different time with a different sense of humour (and different sensibilities overall) so Betty Boop's allure and character as a whole would have to be changed if it were to be targeted to either children or adults nowadays imo.

I don't believe she has that timeless quality of Mickey Mouse or Bugs Bunny, but there is a charm to the age of the flapper girl and jazz in its own right.

I Dunno, people these days are using Marilyn Monroe as a type of role model. Betty Boop could be seen in the same vein as that
Marilyn Monroe is a terrible role model. At least Betty Boop doesn't come with a plethora of neuroses, unabashed self-destructive behaviour and indiscriminate promiscuity to compensate for her history of domestic turbulence.

I'm not judging Marilyn Monroe, because she dealt with some real ****, but she's no pinnacle of virtue or stability to be emulated.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
OMG I couldn't even watch Mr. Enter's review of King Star King because of how horrible it was. I know he was calling it bad and all, but that didn't stop it from being so bad I couldn't even watch it being bashed
Those were my feelings as well during my first encounter with it on TV. Why Adult Swim, why would you greenlight a show this terrible, horribly animated, and gross?

Oh wait, because they stopped caring about quality adult shows since 2014. I would rather watch an episode of Aqua Teen Hunger Force over that abomination.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
So apparently someone has made a custom board maker for Mario Party 2 (I think that's the one, I could be wrong):

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
I don't think I apologized enough for assuming that guy reviewed for pay when I went off on a childish tangent.

Someone IRL noticed the look I had on my face over it. They started asking me why I looked like I was about ready to cry, but I figured telling them would just make my day even worse, so I kept my mouth shut while they kept asking me what was wrong and thinking I was mad at them.

No I wasn't mad at them. I'm mad at myself. Mad for constantly jumping to conclusions and failing at every turn.

Last edited:

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
A lot of Adult Swim's recent original stuff is... strange, to say the least.

Rick and Morty is great, though.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
No actual sales figures, but it was confirmed that it placed 6th in UK charts.

Can't be too bad.
When will we get the figures? I want the game to succeed so bad. It's great.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I think Betty Boop was a product of her times that now should exist mostly as a beloved throwback. You don't see people doing the Charleston or listening to swing music much anymore either. It was a different time with a different sense of humour (and different sensibilities overall) so Betty Boop's allure and character as a whole would have to be changed if it were to be targeted to either children or adults nowadays imo.

I don't believe she has that timeless quality of Mickey Mouse or Bugs Bunny, but there is a charm to the age of the flapper girl and jazz in its own right.

Marilyn Monroe is a terrible role model. At least Betty Boop doesn't come with a plethora of neuroses, unabashed self-destructive behaviour and indiscriminate promiscuity to compensate for her history of domestic turbulence.

I'm not judging Marilyn Monroe, because she dealt with some real ****, but she's no pinnacle of virtue or stability to be emulated.
No, I completely agree with you with you on Marilyn Monroe, it's just an observation I've made. Even from people I've known personally being obsessed over her.

I also don't think Betty Boop should come back.

_Silver_

I don't even know anymore.
NNID
coffeeman65
3DS FC
1349-8695-1576
I doubt it, but I think it be really funny if they did pull it off. It could work well. The SU one did.
Of course they work well.

I mean both Clarence and UG have loads of stupidity poured into all their episodes, anyways.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I don't think I apologized enough for assuming that guy reviewed for pay when I went off on a childish tangent.

Someone IRL noticed the look I had on my face over it. They started asking me why I looked like I was about ready to cry, but I figured telling them would just make my day even worse, so I kept my mouth shut while they kept asking me what was wrong and thinking I was mad at them.

No I wasn't mad at them. I'm mad at myself. Mad for consistently jumping to conclusions and failing at every turn.
...You don't need to be so hard on yourself. It's not a big deal.

Everyone makes little mistakes like that. Nothing to get too emotional over or beat yourself up over. Live and learn.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
To be honest, I've started questioning Adult Swim's policies for TV Shows since Mr. Pickles. Literally one of the worst shows I've ever seen since 12 oz Mouse. You'd think a show with unappealing character design and poorly paced shock humor would be quality entertainment, right?

As for King Star King, that show can stay in the 9th circle of Hell where it belongs. I've never seen an episode on TV, but the ads alone were enough to let me know it was some hot garbage. And Mr. Enter's review, as sickening as it was, further cemented that.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
A lot of Adult Swim's recent original stuff is... strange, to say the least.

Rick and Morty is great, though.
This I can wholeheartedly agree with, mate. Rick and Morty was one of AS's best shows in a while.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
No, I completely agree with you with you on Marilyn Monroe, it's just an observation I've made. Even from people I've known personally being obsessed over her.

I also don't think Betty Boop should come back.
Ah fair enough. Yeh, nowadays you see these figures become commercially appropriated and, while they take on same legendary quality, it also dilutes the human behind the "symbol" and all that was composed of.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I have a strange aversion toward "Adult Cartoons"

Even ones I like I don't really watch unless I am in the mood to.

Maybe I just find them more entertaining when I'm with a group of people rather than just by myself

D

Deleted member

Those were my feelings as well during my first encounter with it on TV. Why Adult Swim, why would you greenlight a show this terrible, horribly animated, and gross?

Oh wait, because they stopped caring about quality adult shows since 2014. I would rather watch an episode of Aqua Teen Hunger Force over that abomination.
I feel most of those bad adult shows try to be gross because they desperately want attention but don't know how to make a GOOD adult cartoon, so they rely on beign as offensive and gross as possible. It's kinda similar to all those 90's hip shows that tried WAY too hard to be cool, and instead ended up beign pandering trash that could only appeal to a certain generation.

The only difference between the former and the latter is that the latter can at least fall under the "So bad is good" category, while the former makes me feel actually sick. (i had to watch Mr Enter's review of King Star King on Incognito mode because i didn't want to delete my historial for the 20th time this year)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom