• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Dunno where you've been, most of the reveals made most people excited, even if it was a character they weren't super hyped for beforehand. Perhaps you're focusing too much on the DLC, which was more divisive than the typical reveal. But it was also optional so perspective would've gone a long way for some.

In any case I'm usually hyped by any character that isn't just a palette swap or costume change parading as a new character or one added solely for marketing reasons. I mean I could probably count the number of reveals I wasn't hyped about since Brawl on one hand~

Though the characters that would make me super duper ooper excited are
Every reveal except Mega Man had quite a bit of vocal whining and disappointment to it (even Little Mac, who was the only other really super SUPER commonly accepted newcomer to make it and still got complained about due to being too bland for many people's tastes. . .and apparently Japan had no idea who he was and kept calling him a gorilla), . . . but yeah DLC was a whole lot worse even than usual, and that's still freshest on my mind.

Oasis Dealer

"Woah!"
NNID
DarkCloud2469
3DS FC
4639-9066-5866
So I've been wondering something since yesterday, and I figure since Smash character selection discussion comes up whether we bring up hypothetical new games or not and is usually negative to an extent rather than positive, I may as well get it out.

Are there any characters that they could add to a hypothetical future Smash Bros that would make you actively hyped? Like, not just nodding about how they deserved the spot or something, but make you actually excited?

I feel like we focus so much on what we DON'T like that there isn't all that much discussion on what would have us on the edge of our seats squeeing like maniacs.

So how about it? Are there any characters that would make you super duper ooper excited to see them if they were added at some point?
Crash Bandicoot: Never happening, but being in a game with Sonic and Mario would have my childhood video game characters come together. Would absolutely main him without a doubt.

Snake: A veteran that I adore and would love to see make a return. Hopefully next time by a miracle.

Paper Mario: Love the series and think Paper Mario would be so much fun to play as. Also having music from across all the games would be amazing.

Rayman: Didn't start caring about until I saw that trophy in Smash 4. Then I remembered how much I loved Rayman 2 and the character in general as a kid. Would definitely be happy if he makes it in (Which I don't see being that far off).

Wonder Red: Underrated character that I would love to see. Also looks like a super sentai character, so I like the character even more.

Banjo-Kazooie: Not gonna lie, I would definitely get excited seeing these two making it in.

I also appreciate the people who want Crash Bandcoot. Makes me glad he has support as small as it may be.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
Funny, I actually saw that controller earlier.

But I didn't post it because I didn't know what the hell was going on. I was a scared man.

Every reveal except Mega Man had quite a bit of vocal whining and disappointment to it (even Little Mac, who was the only other really super SUPER commonly accepted newcomer to make it and still got complained about due to being too bland for many people's tastes. . .and apparently Japan had no idea who he was and kept calling him a gorilla), . . . but yeah DLC was a whole lot worse even than usual, and that's still freshest on my mind.
I don't think you can call that "vocal"

The very few people complainign would be drowned out by the complete ruckus of everyone else being hyped. I think the only reveal I can remember that didn't have the vast majority excited was Greninja, but that was probably only because I was surrounded by Mewtwo fans

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Anyone want this Retro City Rampage 3DS THEME, cause I dont.

B0L94PQ613H7S08G
Thanks!
I like the themes and retro city rampage was an game I played a lot when a kid. Lots of fun! the theme is neat. Why didn't you want it, if you don't mind me asking?

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
An example of this is when Yoshiaki Koizumi was trying to add Rosalina and some story elements into Super Mario Galaxy, and Miyamoto tried to prevent with his reasoning saying "nobody is actually actively asking for a second female character in Mario or more story elements, so we don't need it".
To think there was a posibility that an incredibly popular character like Rosalina wasn't going to happen.

Are there any characters that they could add to a hypothetical future Smash Bros that would make you actively hyped? Like, not just nodding about how they deserved the spot or something, but make you actually excited?
Wolf, Ice Climbers, Snake and Isaac.

Your avatar is making me physically uncomfortable. >_>

:231:
Indeed, no ifs or butts about it.

My biggest disappointment, besides no Wolf, was that we only got 1 Nintendo newcomer character as DLC.

The very few people complainign would be drowned out by the complete ruckus of everyone else being hyped. I think the only reveal I can remember that didn't have the vast majority excited was Greninja, but that was probably only because I was surrounded by Mewtwo fans
:4darkpit:

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Nintendo is trending all over Facebook today

Someone developed a wireless controller for the NES

"allows the use of PS3, PS4, Wii remote and Wii U Pro controllers"

Allows current game controllers to work on NES as well

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
That's an awfully pessimistic view to take. Sure they all had detractors, pretty much every character will, but those are by and large the minority upon the actual reveal. Very much so for Little Mac, at least in the west. My recollection of reveals entailed a bunch of screaming and an influx of celebratory gifs and memes, as the internet does. Perhaps less so for the DLC, but those were also more unorthodox choices.

For what it's worth, as someone who has been kicking around the Smash scene in one sense or another since prior to the Brawl reveal trailer, the number of times I would classify a reveal as something of primarily negative reception are few and far between.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
That's an awfully pessimistic view to take. Sure they all had detractors, pretty much every character will, but those are by and large the minority upon the actual reveal. Very much so for Little Mac, at least in the west. My recollection of reveals entailed a bunch of screaming and an influx of celebratory gifs and memes, as the internet does. Perhaps less so for the DLC, but those were also more unorthodox choices.

For what it's worth, as someone who has been kicking around the Smash scene since prior to the Brawl reveal trailer, the number of times I would classify a reveal as something of primarily negative reception are few and far between.
In the initial roster of newcomers, the only character that got overall a negative reception (and still is unpopular among Smash fans) is Dark Pit.

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
Thanks!
I like the themes and retro city rampage was an game I played a lot when a kid. Lots of fun! the theme is neat. Why didn't you want it, if you don't mind me asking?
Because I dont plan on replacing my Smash theme, so anything else is pointless to me.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Nintendo is trending all over Facebook today

Someone developed a wireless controller for the NES

"allows the use of PS3, PS4, Wii remote and Wii U Pro controllers"

Allows current game controllers to work on NES as well
Don't really seeing that being too useful when you remember that the NES controller has only 4 buttons.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
In the initial roster of newcomers, the only character that got overall a negative reception (and still is unpopular among Smash fans) is Dark Pit.
WFT didn't have an entirely positive reception, neither did the Miis. I think Greninja's was more middling, but people eventually came around on those characters (usually relatively quickly) and for each one of those reveals there was also a bunch of other content announced to offset any potential disappointment. Pretty ingenious if done deliberately, really.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Is that a controller or a magnet?
Neither. It's the Matter Manipulator from Starbound.

. . .OK no it's facing the wrong way for that, but that's what my mind jumped to.

I'm not sure this is going to be a standard remote after how the Wii and Wii U were received by hardcore fans, but I am curious as to what is up with it.

lol it looks like something used to improve grip strength~
. . .You know what? After some of Nintendo's interviews a couple years back, I'd believe it. They WERE wanting to get in on the health market. . .

Apparently it's got more accessories or whatever
. . .Wait, so it has gun and wheel attachments? So it's like, an all in one gimmick controller?

For what it's worth, as someone who has been kicking around the Smash scene in one sense or another since prior to the Brawl reveal trailer, the number of times I would classify a reveal as something of primarily negative reception are few and far between.
True enough. I was probably just left under that impression because I spent all of pre-DLC on GameFAQs, where hatred is standard and liking things is being an apologist shill.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Question for Street Fighter fans - is it normal to have so much trouble approaching and doing combos in SFIV?

It's not the inputs I have a problem with, it's that every attack I land seems to push me so far back I can't land another one. Can't seem to dash and then dash cancel either. Is there something I'm missing?

I don't think you can really call the ESRB leak a "reveal." After E3 many many people assumed he was an alt or something else (speculated as a boss after people found that HP indicator in that one vid for instance) so using everyone's unified rage over not getting who they want in the roster is kind of cheating. I mean even Duck Hunt got quite a substantial amount of flak. :laugh:

Too bad Dark Pit had to become a scapegoat for crimes he didn't commit. At last most people got over it :/
I was probably just left under that impression because I spent all of pre-DLC on GameFAQs,
I'm sorry. You're in a better place now

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
WFT, Bayonetta, Dark Pit, and Lucina are the only characters I had a negative reaction to. 2 of which because of their clone status. Dark Pit being little more than a pit recolor (Yeah, I know in smash he acts differently, whatever)

I usually would have had a negative reaction to Bowser Jr, but the addition of the koopalings and how he acts in the koopa clown car were brilliantly done in a way I can accept the character - And actually use the character the most frequently.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Sounds fun. :p
It actually can be when it crosses the line twice.

When it lands short of the mark or goes far enough to cross it a third time as it so often does, not so much, but every once in a while the rage got a bit popcorn worthy. :laugh:

And sometimes they took a break from being mindlessly angry in order to spout memes.

Chrob

Chrob 2

Chrob 3

Chrob 64

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero

"The vast majority" implies that most people like every single character to an extent, yet that will never happen.

:4darkpit::4corrin: have both had large amounts of salt that will always stick with them.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Too bad Dark Pit had to become a scapegoat for crimes he didn't commit. At last most people got over it :/
People no longer bash Kid Icarus for being "overrepresented" because Fire Emblem is what all cool kids are bashing nowadays!:troll:

I wonder how many people wil accuse Sakurai of Xenoblade bias should it get a second character in Smash 5?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I don't think you can really call the ESRB leak a "reveal." After E3 many many people assumed he was an alt or something else (speculated as a boss after people found that HP indicator in that one vid for instance) so using everyone's unified rage over not getting who they want in the roster is kind of cheating. I mean even Duck Hunt got quite a substantial amount of flak. :laugh:

I'm sorry. You're in a better place now
I wonder if Duck Hunt would have been higher on the receiving end of being a scapegoat amongst the fans had Dark Pit (and Lucina and Dr.Mario) remained an alt like what was initially planned.

Kind of like the flak R.O.B. had to go through during Brawl.....

I don't remember much on Mr.Game & Watch in Melee but I'd imagine that he probably went through the same thing as Duck Hunt did thanks to the number of clones who where included in that game....

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I didn't have a negative reaction to Corrin, mostly because while I didn't exceptionally like or care about the character I expected them

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
How does the humble bundle work?

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I wonder if Duck Hunt would have been higher on the receiving end of being a scapegoat amongst the fans had Dark Pit (and Lucina and Dr.Mario) remained an alt like what was initially planned.
Maybe. Maybe not. A good portion of Duck Hunt Dog's appeal is precisely that he is an infamous character that people finally have the chance to beat up.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433

Kind of like the flak R.O.B. had to go through during Brawl.....

I don't remember much on Mr.Game & Watch in Melee but I'd imagine that he probably went through the same thing as Duck Hunt did thanks to the number of clones who where included in that game....
I think a lot more people have fond memories of Duck Hunt compared to ROB and G&W.

Wii Fit Trainer would have been the main scapegoat, but seeing as she was revealed so early, no one cared anymore.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Maybe. Maybe not. A good portion of Duck Hunt Dog's appeal is precisely that he is an infamous character that people finally have the chance to beat up.
I suppose that also by now, people would have probably expected Sakurai to include a surprise character as an unlockable in Smash 4 as has been the case since Melee/64.

Then again, I've seen people saying that Wii Fit Trainer was this games "Mr.Game & Watch" and "R.O.B." and did not expect any further surprises prior to us finding out about Duck Hunt so who knows I guess....

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

Tbh I think Dark Pit would've got a bunch of backlash no matter when he was revealed. Perhaps less so if not at the end, or before Palutena, but he's almost a direct clone in a series not starving for representation given the number of titles nor other newcomers who fits under a character trope some find creatively bankrupt who played a supporting role in a single game. Many would argue that type of character doesn't inherently belong on the roster.

I mean he wasn't the only reveal due to the ESRB leak but he sure got the most hate from it, whereas some in the same situation like Bowser Jr, Shulk or Doc barely got any.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
People no longer bash Kid Icarus for being "overrepresented" because Fire Emblem is what all cool kids are bashing nowadays!:troll:

I wonder how many people wil accuse Sakurai of Xenoblade bias should it get a second character in Smash 5?
The natural solution to this dilemma is, of course, to simply find a series people accuse of being snubbed and overload it with newcomers instead. :troll:

My typical thought experiment is, "What would happen if we got three DK newcomers at once. . .and one of them wasn't from Country?"

My natural choice for a third is of course Pauline, who was one of the most hated characters by far on the poll I drug up, easily the most hated Nintendo character with any chance of being implemented, and presumably relegated to such entirely because she's not a Country character and people aren't inspired enough to generate the mental image of her beating someone over the head with a ladder.

Hoooo boy if she was revealed. . .try calling Sakuraibias on that one, kids! (here's a hint: they would :troll:)

Almost certainly. People would need something to blame for not getting their favorite character. (Ironically, this would have been more logical because Duck Hunt took more dev time lol) Going back and hating a character you didn't already doesn't make a whole ton of sense so it would pretty much just be Duck Hunt VS Shulk VS Bowser Jr for "most hated." Based on the fact DH actually got hate and the other 2 didn't get nearly as much it seems like Duck HUnt would be our resident Scapegoat for smash 4.

_Silver_

I don't even know anymore.
NNID
coffeeman65
3DS FC
1349-8695-1576

*inb4 Elma*

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
There are other series that could use representation before a small niche one like Xenoblade gets another character before getting another game.

Being in Smash has given people a skewed view of its prominence.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
There are other series that could use representation before a small niche one like Xenoblade gets another character before getting another game.

I think Shulk represents his series perfectly fine, even if Elma looks cool.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I'm calling it, Cheeksqueak will be the new "shoo-in" character once Yo-Kai Watch's popularity picks up in the future. :dazwa:

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904

*counts*

Splatoon. . .Golden Sun. . .Rhythm Heaven. . .Excitebike. . .

. . .Halp, I ran out of unrepresented first party series that have games that have broken 1 million units on the Wikipedia system sales lists (well, aside from Nintendogs and Brain Age, but COME ON, even WFT beats those for implementability). Can someone give me a better point of reference so I can continue?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom