• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779

wedl!!

Goddess of Storms
NNID
Plushies4Ever
it's been nearly 5 months and people are still debating the logistics of the ballot win

are you kidding me

Last edited:

esdssserdt

Smash Cadet
The only characters I really want are Rayman, Crash Bandicoot, Bandana Waddle Dee, and Steve from Minecraft. Everyone else I'd be just fine with but these ones are exceptional.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Steve from Minecraft.
We are no longer friends

Xenoblade funny moment! I needed to help out with chores but I was fighting Jade Face. killed him and decided to save after I reached the next destination, accidentally fought Egil and I tried to lose so I could save sooner, by not healing and deliberately wasting the Party gauge. I still won

wedl!!

Goddess of Storms
NNID
Plushies4Ever
actually now that you mention steve that reminds me of something I was thinking about.

if you go by the logic of ryu is the fighting game character = shovel knight could be the recognizable indie game character, steve is more suited to that role

minecraft is one of the most popular games of all time, shovel knight is somewhat popular and beloved by its fans but less recognizable to the casual gamer.

similarly street fighter is the grandaddy of the fighting game genre and a lot of casual players could recognize ryu. tekken is popular (less so in the west) but heihachi doesn't have the same level of prestige that ryu does.

while I personally believe Steve isn't a good choice for smash in any way (shovel knight would be pretty good imo) he'd fit the "beloved/recognizable third party indie game character" role like ryu fits the "face of fighting games" role.

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
The best FF villain is ExDeath.
Kefka, Sepiroth? Destroy a planet? Some twisted tale of humanity's powerlust?

How about a magical tree that humanity used to seal evil spirits into until one day it became so corrupted by it that it said "Y'know what, I'm tired of humanity's crap," sprouted legs, built an army, and constructed a succesful plan to collide alternate dimensions to gain access to an interdimensional bypass to then be in a position to conquer all of time-space.

Edit: And when he kills, it isn't in some cheap backstab. No, he lets them have a one on one fight to truly feel the utter despair of how impossible their dream of striking him down truly is.

Last edited:

Chrono.

not gonna lie if that list is true the only major requested character missing is rock howard(not surprising and honestly if he was there id have called it fake)
The KoF staff haven't put in Rock in any mainline games out of respect for the old Fatal Fury development team.

Don't expect to see him in KOF unless it's a spin off or something.

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Am I the only one who's growing to hate Nintendo of Amerca? Hearing about how the bikini model pictures in TMS's second chapter got censored pissed me off to no end this morning. It's not like snot nosed brats are playing the game.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Am I the only one who's growing to hate Nintendo of Amerca? Hearing about how the bikini model pictures in TMS's second chapter got censored pissed me off to no end this morning. It's not like snot nosed brats are playing the game.
JAPAN hated the oversaturation of that kind of stuff, even AFTER it got censored. Even then, all it means is you can't look at bikinis in a game, that's what the internet or the beach is for

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
JAPAN hated the oversaturation of that kind of stuff, even AFTER it got censored. Even then, all it means is you can't look at bikinis in a game, that's what the internet or the beach is for
So you're saying what Nintendo of America's doing is ok? Now I've let the decisions behind no boob slider in Xenoblade X slide (I guess my body can't be accurate) and accepted the Fates conversations compared to face touching (I literally saw nothing wrong in some harmless skinship).

But this arguably killed any Western fan support that was going for it. Just seeing the outcry on Gamefaqs alone cemented everyone's feelings about Nintendo's never-ending censorship.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Started playing Hyrule Warriors Wii U again. Finally unlocked Zant, so I have all of the characters now, including DLC and Legends characters.

esdssserdt

Smash Cadet
Again, what is wrong with Steve from Minecraft?

His game is one of the most beloved games on the indie scene, and there's a very extensive mod for him that shows off the potential he may be capable of, so I honestly don't see the problem.

If you can tell me what's wrong with him, please do.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
So you're saying what Nintendo of America's doing is ok? Now I've let the decisions behind no boob slider in Xenoblade X slide (I guess my body can't be accurate) and accepted the Fates conversations compared to face touching (I literally saw nothing wrong in some harmless skinship).

But this arguably killed any Western fan support that was going for it. Just seeing the outcry on Gamefaqs alone cemented everyone's feelings about Nintendo's never-ending censorship.
The boob slider was dumb as ****, the Fates stuff was ABSOLUTELY harmless, ESPECIALLY as they still have Niles saying the kinkiest **** Nintendo ever did, but saying that making a game too weeby for Japan less weeby is bad? No! Pretty much EVERYONE cringed at it here outside Japan! and you're using GAMEFAQS as a source! You don't do that!
Something told me a person would have this kind of reaction.

Minecraft Wii U edition exists though.
Doesn't matter if it exists, the idea of Steve is still ****ing dumb to many, including the fact he's Microsoft instead of indie

His game is one of the most beloved games on the indie scene, and there's a very extensive mod for him that shows off the potential he may be capable of, so I honestly don't see the problem.

The fact Minecraft has one of the most cancerous fanbases I've seen, the fact that Steve no longer qualifies as indie and the fact Minecraft is so ****ing dull to me

esdssserdt

Smash Cadet
The boob slider was dumb as ****, the Fates stuff was ABSOLUTELY harmless, ESPECIALLY as they still have Niles saying the kinkiest **** Nintendo ever did, but saying that making a game too weeby for Japan less weeby is bad? No! Pretty much EVERYONE cringed at it here outside Japan! and you're using GAMEFAQS as a source! You don't do that!

Doesn't matter if it exists, the idea of Steve is still ****ing dumb to many, including the fact he's Microsoft instead of indie

The fact Minecraft has one of the most cancerous fanbases I've seen, the fact that Steve no longer qualifies as indie and the fact Minecraft is so ****ing dull to me
I take it you've heard of Superminecraftkid then?

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481

Personal bias.
Now that Minecraft for Wii U is a thing, I'd have no issue with Steve in smash. He's a big enough all-star for it.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Not that Minecraft had to be on Wii U in the first place. The problem is Steve is more or less just a skin and has so little personality. That's my issue with the choice. He doesn't feel hyper recognizable compared to the game itself. Shovel Knight and Shantae are recognized for themselves, not their game alone.

He's not a bad choice, and has great moveset potential, but the character itself feels iffy. I would love to see Minecraft stuff in Smash, but I feel it would be better with AT's considering the memorable creatures like Creepers.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I'm pretty sure Nintendo had proven time and time again that they give two ****s about how their fans feel about censorship. Even if a boycott were to happen, they wouldn't give a damn about it. Remember that Federation Force petition did noting to kill it off while GameXplain continues to promote it. Look on the bright side, at least Microsoft and Sony don't do a thing to their IP's.

esdssserdt

Smash Cadet
Wasn't that the kid who kept screaming that Minecraft was the best and how Zelda is a minecraft ripoff because swords? Because when I first heard of him, I was almost immediately informed he was a troll, so that doesn't matter
Yep, that was exactly the guy. Also, pretty much all those kids are trolls.
Not that Minecraft had to be on Wii U in the first place. The problem is Steve is more or less just a skin and has so little personality. That's my issue with the choice. He doesn't feel hyper recognizable compared to the game itself. Shovel Knight and Shantae are recognized for themselves, not their game alone.

He's not a bad choice, and has great moveset potential, but the character itself feels iffy. I would love to see Minecraft stuff in Smash, but I feel it would be better with AT's considering the memorable creatures like Creepers.
Not sure if I'm remembering correctly, but wasn't his name first revealed in Super Meat Boy?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I'm pretty sure Nintendo had proven time and time again that they give two ****s about how their fans feel about censorship. Even if a boycott were to happen, they wouldn't give a damn about it. Remember that Federation Force petition did noting to kill it off while GameXplain continues to promote it. Look on the bright side, at least Microsoft and Sony don't do a thing to their IP's.
Fed ****up was in development for 10 years. I don't think Tanabe would even consider cancelling it, ESPECIALLY as he himself said it would give more character to GF, which is what he wants for Prime 4. The only reason it has backlash was for no actual Metroid game since 2007

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
All this villain talk, and not one mention of Andross?

(You'll never defeat him.)

Anyway, SFZ is great. The motion controls are actually an improvement IMO.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Pretty much EVERYONE cringed at it here outside Japan! and you're using GAMEFAQS as a source! You don't do that!
Gamefaqs is bad, got it.

How about Destructoid, Persona Central, and Censored Gami...

Oh wait, they are bad sources as well.

esdssserdt

Smash Cadet
Meh, I'd prefer Rayman, Crash or Bandana Waddle Dee anyways over Steve, as they're much more interesting.

There's another character I'd like to see but I'm not sure if any of you would take me seriously if I said so.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Gamefaqs is bad, got it.

How about Destructoid, Persona Central, and Censored Gami...

Oh wait, they are bad sources as well.
When looking at those, see what the complaints are. If the complaints are just "WAHWAH I WANT TO SEE ANIMOO *****" then it's bull****. Now, if the complaints are "I'm worried they'll change significant stuff", they are most likely wrong, but not dumb

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Thanks to the Internet, everyone can be free to cherry pick any censorship all they want. Yet not a single person bats an eye at the countless Pokemon and Mario games that got hit with the censorship stick. Instead of the cliche Vodka *****enski, we get Soda Popinski. Now that's a good example of localization gone right. :troll:

Last edited:

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
Oh, I guess I came around at the right time
You're joking right?

In the European release of The Last of Us, Sony removed dismemberment and exploding heads in the multiplayer.
In the Japanese release of Resistance: Fall of Man and Uncharted 1: Blood was removed
In the US version of Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe had two fatalities altered with clever camera panning
The Japanese release of Fallout 3 had an entire sidequest where you nuked megaton removed
Microsoft banned Swastikas from Black Ops 1
etc.

"Censorship" (read: localization) happens with every product, it's normal. Or does it only matter when you can't see T&A? I swear that's the only time people get outraged by it (although, people were outraged by the ban of Swastikas).

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Oh, I guess I came around at the right time

You're joking right?

In the European release of The Last of Us, Sony removed dismemberment and exploding heads in the multiplayer.
In the Japanese release of Resistance: Fall of Man and Uncharted 1: Blood was removed
In the US version of Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe had two fatalities altered with clever camera panning
The Japanese release of Fallout 3 had an entire sidequest where you nuked megaton removed
Microsoft banned Swastikas from Black Ops 1
etc.

"Censorship" (read: localization) happens with every product, it's normal. Or does it only matter when you can't see T&A? I swear that's the only time people get outraged by it (although, people were outraged by the ban of Swastikas).
And don't forget gore and swastikas removed in most Call of Duty games in Japan.

Not like they see any greatness (or perfect trolling) in those games.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
And don't forget gore and swastikas removed in most Call of Duty games in Japan.

Not like they see any greatness (or perfect trolling) in those games.
Greatness in what? Call of Duty? It's literally one of the most popular games there. Black Ops 3 was Japan's best selling game for a while when it launched.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
All this villain talk, and not one mention of Andross?

(You'll never defeat him.)

Anyway, SFZ is great. The motion controls are actually an improvement IMO.
It's also good knowing that you can redo stages at any time. However, when taking the alternate routes, you pretty much have to complete the routes without restarting if you have yet to complete them.

In other words, if you go to Corneria and take the route to Aquarosa, if you try to restart the Aquarosa boss fight, you'll instead be taken back to Corneria; you'd have to redo the requirements for accessing Aquarosa again.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Greatness in what? Call of Duty? It's literally one of the most popular games there. Black Ops 3 was Japan's best selling game for a while when it launched.
Really? Well that's a relief. There was always this urban myth of first person shooters being unpopular there (because of Metroid Prime's sales). Glad I'm proven wrong.

But do they troll as hard as we do? :p

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
Really? Well that's a relief. There was always this urban myth of first person shooters being unpopular there (because of Metroid Prime's sales). Glad I'm proven wrong.

But do they troll as hard as we do? :p
Maybe... There's a Japanese let's player that I watch from time to time (not that I understand what he's saying, it's just interesting). I don't think he's ever trolled.
I don't know how FPS games as a whole are perceived in Japan, I just know Call of Duty is one of the more popular series there.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Personal bias.
Now that Minecraft for Wii U is a thing, I'd have no issue with Steve in smash. He's a big enough all-star for it.
There is one huge problem with Minecraft, and that's its art style. The way the characters are designed in Minecraft is very inconvenient for any playable representation in Smash Bros., but Minecraft can always be referenced through Assist Trophies or minor trophy cameos.

Thanks to the Internet, everyone can be free to cherry pick any censorship all they want. Yet not a single person bats an eye at the countless Pokemon and Mario games that got hit with the censorship stick. Instead of the cliche Vodka *****enski, we get Soda Popinski. Now that's a good example of localization gone right. :troll:
Nintendo definitely has reasons for removing any alcohol references in the more child friendly games. Super Mario Kart is definitely one example of censorship with the alcohol, where in the North America version, all the characters just play around with the champagne bottle.

D

Deleted member

Fates is the living evidence that whining about censorship will do nothing
Most of them are complaints on how the "author's view has to be preserved"
Like, seriously, there are people still complaining about the removal of an U in Saizou and Kagerou
Even though that U technically doesn't exist in japanese but that's beside the point
Even then, all it means is you can't look at bikinis in a game, that's what the internet or the beach is for
I can't legally go to the beach anymore, not after that happened so I guess I'm stuck with the internet but these sites say I need to be at least 18 years old so I guess I'll have to wait sometime

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom