• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Sorry that I haven't been that active here. I've been reading through, but I haven't had time to make a response. Been prepping a lot of stuff since I'll be taking a vacation at the end of the month...to Yamanashi (maybe I'll check out Ryuo!). Anyway I'm almost ahead of what I need to do, so I'll be a bit more active.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
The one video game movie I would want the most is Star Fox.

I think a Star Fox movie in the style of Guardians of the Galaxy or something could work really well.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
In some shows, Vulture is Spidey's first villain to face. Also, he's lower tier than most others. That means that Spider-Man can grow better to face stronger villains in time. This'll allow not just more characterization(and for Vulture too, as his backstory is simply a little better than just "I wanted to be evil" or "I made a mistake and injected myself", but actually was screwed over by someone badly and wanted to get back at them. Well, depending the storyline. This could be interesting. The first set of live action films actually made some villains more tragic, and it also made them more interesting in return). I think this means he won't be generic, but also will be enough of a challenge for Spidey to grow as a character in general.

Plus, when doing a reboot, you should never start with super powerful villains. Green Goblin is one of Spidey's most powerful foes. He's almost always enhanced like Spider-Man was, and full of major artillery that can clearly kill people, as the live action movies proved. In addition, he's not always tragic either. Depending if it's Norman or his son. For his son, he usually is part of a tragic story. But Norman has rarely been show as anything but a jerk at best. Now, Green Goblin could be hinted at or show up later, maybe, with his son taking the mantle or playing a role in the story. Harry is interesting like that.

Also, you do realize that Venom is one of the few Tier 1 villains that Spidey cannot beat outside of using something besides his basic talents. Kraven he can trick, or use his agility. Lizard too. Venom most often won't activate the Spidey sense, which already forces Spider-Man to be on alert and will likely take a pounding. Yes, Venom has a major weakness in sound, but in many cases, killing the symbiote can be next to impossible. Especially as the MCU under Disney(Hulk and the Agents of S.M.A.S.H. has Doc Ock use Spidey's own blood) shows that Spider-Man's blood can potentially create another Venom if he was infused with it. Even in older shows, I doubt that Spidey had zero Venom cells in him even after discarding the symbiote. More like dormant and unused cells. DNA doesn't magically change after being infected. Plus, there was never an antidote, just sound removing Venom from keeping control. Technically speaking, there's nothing to suggest Spider-Man lost every possible cell that had the symbiote in it.
Bit excessive much.
I think you misunderstood me a bit, and I don't understand what your Venom tangent had to do with anything.
WAIT. WE'RE ACTUALLY GETTING A VENOM MOVIE O.O SOURCE!
I'm just going to assume you googled it yourself by now.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Uncharted could work.
Halo could work.
Doom could work.
Metroid Prime 3 and only Metroid Prime 3 could work.
Final Fantasy could work if there were multiple movies.
F-Zero could work.
MAAAAAYBE Kid Icarus could work.

Live action video game movies are challenging. Not a lot can work.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Uncharted could work.
Halo could work.
Doom could work.
F-Zero could work.

A friend and I actually came up with an expansive idea for a live action Kid Icarus movie trilogy.

I still think it would be better suited to being an anime series or something, but it could work. I just doubt the majority of the Kid Icarus fan base itself would accept it, since it's largely comprised of anime fans.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I remember when Level-5 announced to do a live action movie for the Professor Layton franchise. Not sure how that would have worked, but I suppose it would have probably looked like one of those Japanese commercials they used to air. Nothing came of it though for many years now since the announcement so it's probably safe to assume that it has been cancelled.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I remember when Level-5 announced to do a live action movie for the Professor Layton franchise. Not sure how that would have worked, but I suppose it would have probably looked like one of those Japanese commercials they used to air. Nothing came of it though for many years now since the announcement so it's probably safe to assume that it has been cancelled.
I just really want to know what came of the "Second Movie".

That one was supposed to be another animated one like Eternal Diva, but nothing seems to have come of it.

It'd be a shame if it didn't come out, Eternal Diva is fantastic, and got me into the games in the first place. Which is really what video game movies should do.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...

That one was supposed to be another animated one like Eternal Diva, but nothing seems to have come of it.

It'd be a shame if it didn't come out, Eternal Diva is fantastic, and got me into the games in the first place. Which is really what video game movies should do.
From what I recall. That one was supposed to take place between the Miracle Mask and Azran Legacy and continue the whole Azran arc that trilogy had going.

But I suppose since Miracle Mask and Azran Legacy connect to each other so well with no real loose ends between them, that one was probably cancelled too.

Although I do recall seeing some unused scenes that may or may not have been meant for that movie but yeah. I suppose since there has been no words on either movies ever since for quite some time now, it's probably safe to assume that they both have been cancelled....

Last edited:

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Uncharted could work.
Halo could work.
Doom could work.
F-Zero could work.

Any realistic looking game with a well developed story and characters could work.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
That is a horrible idea, and it's probably even worse than horrible as well. Some things should never be turned into live-action films, especially once you've looked at the Super Mario Bros. film.

Even the new live-action Ninja Turtles are not good for my tastes (the turtles look very ugly when compared to their computer animated counterparts from the 2012 TV series, AND the 2007 TMNT movie), though others may think otherwise.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Considering how the Phoenix Wright movie was, it´s probably for the better. Live-action can't do justice to the series's artstyle.

I'd love to see another animated Layton movie. Eternal Diva was as good as a Miyazaki film.

:231:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Considering how the Phoenix Wright movie was, it´s probably for the better. Live-action can't do justice to the series's artstyle.

I'd love to see another animated Layton movie. Eternal Diva was as good as a Miyazaki film.

It probably would have looked quite odd considering the series art style so it probably was for the best indeed.

I would love to see another animated movie as well though as the first one was a lot of fun to watch.

Last edited:

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
Eternal Diva was definitely a great movie, probably one of my favorite animated movies around. Perhaps my favorite thing about it is that it was actually canon to the Layton series; by the next Layton game, they pretty much assumed you watched the movie to understand the entire prequel trilogy. The way how they incorporated the puzzles was a nice touch too.

As for my favorite scene?
Layton and Descole's first sword duel

I really wish there was a Youtube video of it, but I couldn't find it. Descole fighting with the sword; Layton uses a metal pipe. Add in the music and the setting at that moment, and you have one jaw-dropping scene in the movie.

On that note, this is the movie that shows Descole being a villain at his finest, definitely when he was at his evilest. I basically liked Descole even more than I previously did as a villain at that point in the series.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
I really liked the Phoenix Wright movie. I thought it was the best video game movie ever.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I really liked the Phoenix Wright movie. I thought it was the best video game movie ever.
The movie´s story and acting are quite good, imho.

It's just those over-the-top costumes and CGI that made it impossible to take it seriously.

Last edited:

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
you guys thought 4chan had bad leaks nah son i found the mother load of bad obviously fake leaks
https://www.youtube.com/user/JohnApplecore/videos

only reason im not linking to their channel page proper is because their "advert" video telling why you should subscribe is a spoiler for starwars episode 7

just a precaution i have never watched one of these videos but the thumbnails alone should tell you what you need to know

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
you guys thought 4chan had bad leaks nah son i found the mother load of bad obviously fake leaks

only reason im not linking to their channel page proper is because their "advert" video telling why you should subscribe is a spoiler for starwars episode 7

just a precaution i have never watched one of these videos but the thumbnails alone should tell you what you need to know
. . .So I went and watched a couple of those. Fake Recolor Furret that's still named after Furret and Fake Recolor Ninetales that's named after Okami evolve into each other. No, I am not joking. There are videos of each of them evolving, and both videos have one of them evolving into the other.

*EDIT* Apparently he names his trainer in all his fake leak endeavors "Subscribe."

The level and magnitude to this troll account is so deep that the only reason I'm not 100% sure it's trolling is because of Poe's Law.

Last edited:

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Live action Pogeymanz movie?

ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

I don't thing that's completely possible, even they make it a 20th anniversary reveal.

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I adored the Professor Layton movie.

Nailed the feel and tone of the games. I have good memories of watching it over Skype with my friend from Japan.

Burruni

Smash Hero

5 videos all claiming to be the gen 7 starters released in a week of eachother.
10/10.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Good thing it's a comedy.
>_>

Seriously though.

Oh wow. Did I just see a reskinned Furret evolve into a Mightyena? :laugh:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
It's like people forget the first MK movie.

That was live action, a video game adaptation and did very well critically and financially.

Everyone liked it until Internet told me to hate it

But I said screw that. It's a good movie and the best video game movie

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Bit excessive much.
I think you misunderstood me a bit, and I don't understand what your Venom tangent had to do with anything.
I fail to see how making zero comments on my points and just dismissing my post has to do with anything. There's a major point overall; Vulture is a weaker villain and a good starter one(and has been a starter one before). Venom is an extremely powerful villain. That's a bad way to start a superhero series with a weaker hero. He can't really grow much to be ready for stronger competition if you pit him against beings of epic proportion right off the bat. It's like a roleplaying game, you give characters/bosses/enemies to fight on their level and slowly rise the strength/threat level to match the heroes as they slowly grow. It's just basic fairness and good storytelling to make characters develop. Can't develop if they're facing monsters they can barely fight against in the first place. Balance, man.

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
It's like people forget the first MK movie.

That was live action, a video game adaptation and did very well critically and financially.

Everyone liked it until Internet told me to hate it

But I said screw that. It's a good movie and the best video game movie
Mario Kart had a movie? :troll:

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
So, modders finally made Ridley playable in Smash 4.

Well... sorta.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Gotta be honest, at least it looks better than how it looked in Brawl (Neh, not really..both look like ****...). The tiny/short legs still make me laugh. xD

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The best video game moviesare, funnily enough, not based on a video game franchise, or just have nothing to do with video games at all. :p

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I've heard the Resident Evil movies are generally considered to be "tolerable". Not a good film series but not absolutely horrid either, like a lot of movies based on games are.

Meanwhile, there's still Half-Life and Portal movies in the writing stages.

Strofirko

Smash Master
I also liked the silent hill movies, but the internet said to screw it because it had too many references from the games.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
This "make every popular game into a movie" is trying.

Games like RE, SH, and MK have story, but it's really window dressing for the mechanics that you can never replicate in a film.

That's why Wreck-it-Ralph did so well; the movie didn't try to adapt a game story, it told a story about games.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
So still considering which of ALttP and Super Metroid so I decided to flip a coin...

...dammit...
...**** it I'm just going to play Super Metroid...

Strofirko

Smash Master
This "make every popular game into a movie" is trying.

Games like RE, SH, and MK have story, but it's really window dressing for the mechanics that you can never replicate in a film.

That's why Wreck-it-Ralph did so well; the movie didn't try to adapt a game story, it told a story about games.
And also did the wizard and pixels.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Anyone see this?

Very unsettling.
Last 10 minutes.

I was genuinely scared by the way the ship violently split into two and rolled over. With the caption reading "There are still 1500 people on the ship."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom