• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Ah yes, yaoi is more or less the gender-opposite equivalent to large breasted/moe girls in the anime world: it's basically fanservice for girls.

Many a shounen manga/anime with large enough male character casts nowadays can't escape the relentless fujoshi who are all too eager to ship them.

And of course, it always ends up with male/female shippers and yaoi fangirls going at each others' throats in that regard, resulting in heated discussions about what pairing(s) is/are the best. Of course, authors join in the fun by pandering to both sides, but never getting too explicit on which ship is canon, if there's any canon romance anyway.

Meanwhile, I just care about the stories and how they unfold, knowing there's more to the characters and settings than romantic pairings. (I'm not keen on love stories anyway and tend to avoid this particular genre of fiction overall.)

With this, I detailed why I don't like the anime fanbase that much. At least, this vocal part of it.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Ah yes, yaoi is more or less the gender-opposite equivalent to large breasted/moe girls in the anime world: it's basically fanservice for girls.

Many a shounen manga/anime with large enough male character casts nowadays can't escape the relentless fujoshi who are all too eager to ship them.

And of course, it always ends up with male/female shippers and yaoi fangirls going at each others' throats in that regard, resulting in heated discussions about what pairing(s) is/are the best. Of course, authors join in the fun by pandering to both sides, but never getting too explicit on which ship is canon, if there's any canon romance anyway.

Meanwhile, I just care about the stories and how they unfold, knowing there's more to the characters and settings than romantic pairings. (I'm not keen on love stories anyway and tend to avoid this particular genre of fiction overall.)

With this, I detailed why I don't like the anime fanbase that much. At least, this vocal part of it.
I hate to label myself with the vocal fanbase of anything. :laugh:

Gaming? Hate the community.

Anime? Despise it.

Fire Emblem? Need I say more?

D

Deleted member

The only kind pf fans I hate are the ones who are hateful/aggresive of others for trivial things.

....But that's pretty much any fandom, unless it's something not discussed too often whatsoever.

Last edited by a moderator:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I hate to label myself with the vocal fanbase of anything. :laugh:

Gaming? Hate the community.

Anime? Despise it.

Fire Emblem? Need I say more?
It's why I've grown to dislike labels like "gamer", "otaku" and other similar terms.

The moment "enjoying a work of fiction" becomes "having heated discussions about such works over unimportant details" is when you go from "fan" to "obsessed fanboy/fangirl".

I do like discussing works of fiction with some seriousness, but I think there are lines that shouldn't be crossed.

I think the worst I've seen from shipping in regards to manga and anime is from the Blue Exorcist yaoi shippers who ship the two main male characters... Who happen to be twin brothers. Though, it's not even close to the worse I've seen from the FE fanbase, considering the series has actual incest. lol

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Afaik Shiny Pokémon aren't in the code of Gen I games.

That said, Gen II treats a Pokémon as Shiny based on its IVs, so Shiny Pokémon do technically exist in Gen I. But you won't see anything shiny in Gen I games, you'll see it only if you trade forward.

:231:
Hm, I can't seem to find anything on the Cutting Room Floor site, so it wasn't in the original for certain. It could be a change for the VC release, though I'm not sure they'd go that route when the only changes were ones deemed necessary for the update to the new generation.

Edit: :4greninja:
Yes, took me took long to find it, and mis information of people thinking it meant shinys were in coding, when it's actually ivs that determined it when those mons were transferred.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
I agree with everything you said Frost, fujoshi are the sort of thing most shonen manga can't avoid and the author subtlety tease it just to add more fan fict fuel for them. Comiket for example is a big event for a reason since you would see plenty of Kurobas, Haikyu, Naruto, or One Piece doujin featured annually. I still remember the drug threat from one guy who hated the huge yaoi following Kuroko no Basuke had gotten and how the mangaka alright with it. It was a good thing such a criminal got arrested for his extreme actions and it's not because he was threatening our creative freedom.

I like yaoi simply to open my options for ships and there's something so charming about it. Sure I'm a fan of Kuroko x Momoi, but Kuroko x Taiga is among the best ships in the fandom. You don't see me bashing Herero shippers since everyone has their own tastes and opinions. But at least those are my two cents on the subject.

Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
I usually see Yaoi and Yuri as pandering crap.

Which is weird because the in-between is just as pandering with the fujoshi aspect and the ish fulfillment of the harem genre.

I go by the Jay Sherman rule that "Everything Sucks except for the other 28% of content in the genre"

Music, anime, movies, television, video games and other mediums

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
It's why I've grown to dislike labels like "gamer", "otaku" and other similar terms.

The moment "enjoying a work of fiction" becomes "having heated discussions about such works over unimportant details" is when you go from "fan" to "obsessed fanboy/fangirl".

I do like discussing works of fiction with some seriousness, but I think there are lines that shouldn't be crossed.

I think the worst I've seen from shipping in regards to manga and anime is from the Blue Exorcist yaoi shippers who ship the two main male characters... Who happen to be twin brothers. Though, it's not even close to the worse I've seen from the FE fanbase, considering the series has actual incest. lol
Not only online, but the hyper-fanboys/girls usually have little to no social skills in real life.

It's embarrassing to know someone who wants to exclusively talk about one freaking thing every time you see them.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Gee, I wonder why yaoi became such a huge topic all of a sudden. Oh wait, I know why.

And I did facepalm about the Kurobas drug threat crimes when I first seen it on ANN.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Not only online, but the hyper-fanboys/girls usually have little to no social skills in real life.

It's embarrassing to know someone who wants to exclusively talk about one freaking thing every time you see them.
This is why the creator of Invader Zim hates his own fanbase

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I agree with everything you said Frost, fujoshi are the sort of thing most shonen manga can't avoid and the author subtlety tease it just to add more fan fict fuel for them. Comiket for example is a big event for a reason since you would see plenty of Kurobas, Haikyu, Naruto, or One Piece doujin featured annually. I still remember the drug threat from one guy who hated the huge yaoi following Kuroko no Basuke had gotten and the manga is for being alright with it. It was a good thing such a criminal got arrested for his extreme actions and it's not because he was threatening our creative freedom.

I like yaoi simply to open my options for shops and there's something so charming about it. Sure I'm a fan of Kuroko x Momoi, but Kuroko x Taiga is among the best ships in the fandom. You don't see me bashing Herero shippers since everyone has their own tastes and opinions. But at least those are my two cents on the subject.
Owari no Seraph, full stop.

Probably the shounen series I've seen with the most amount of yaoi pandering so far. Blatantly obvious between the two main male lead characters (Yuu and Mika). Of course, the author is a troll and also teases the Yuu and Shinoa ship (the latter being the main female character).

It's funny and sad reading a chapter where **** goes down and all people are discussing is pairings instead of the newly revealed plot points.

The reason I got into the manga is because of the post-apocalyptic setting and its usage of supernatural elements. I started to enjoy it even more as it slowly reveals that all sides of the conflict are morally questionable, save for the main group of protagonists (and even so, they are ****ed up in some way or another).

Basically, it's dark and edgy stuff and I like dark and edgy stuff. lol

But I agree that people are free to interpret fictional works as they see fit, but some people are obnoxious about it.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
There's a corner of Smash Bros/Manga/Whatever fanboys/girls who hang out at my library.

They attract... unsavory fellows. I could go into how they all pander for attention, but that's sensitive territory and I wouldn't want to hurt any feelwings.

Gee, I wonder why yaoi became such a huge topic all of a sudden. Oh wait, I know why.

And I did facepalm about the Kurobas drug threat crimes when I first seen it on ANN.
(What'd I miss...?)

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
I fail to see how making zero comments on my points and just dismissing my post has to do with anything. There's a major point overall; Vulture is a weaker villain and a good starter one(and has been a starter one before). Venom is an extremely powerful villain. That's a bad way to start a superhero series with a weaker hero. He can't really grow much to be ready for stronger competition if you pit him against beings of epic proportion right off the bat. It's like a roleplaying game, you give characters/bosses/enemies to fight on their level and slowly rise the strength/threat level to match the heroes as they slowly grow. It's just basic fairness and good storytelling to make characters develop. Can't develop if they're facing monsters they can barely fight against in the first place. Balance, man.
Like I said earlier, you misunderstood me. I don't want GG or Venom to be the villain of the first movie. I just want them to appear in the MCU, and I have doubts that they will.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Yaoi and Yuri to me fall into how I feel about shipping.

I don't mind if it's done as I think all of us have had at least two characters from a story we liked that we thought "you know, these two could work well together". It's just another way that we can perceive a story, and those relationships are just another aspect that you can use to expand on it if you prefer as long as they work within the realms of the story. However, as with everything, people can get too obsessive about it and that causes problems. Just because you like this pairing doesn't make it the end-all-be-all nor does it mean that you should force it upon others or bash them if they prefer other choices or just don't like shipping within the story itself. They have their preferences and you have yours, and getting aggressive over it is not going to change their opinion on it.

In short, if you have a couple characters you like pairing together, ship away, but be mindful of others with it and don't be obsessive with it.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Owari no Seraph, full stop.

Probably the shounen series I've seen with the most amount of yaoi pandering so far. Blatantly obvious between the two main male lead characters (Yuu and Mika). Of course, the author is a troll and also teases the Yuu and Shinoa ship (the latter being the main female character).

It's funny and sad reading a chapter where **** goes down and all people are discussing is pairings instead of the newly revealed plot points.

The reason I got into the manga is because of the post-apocalyptic setting and its usage of supernatural elements. I started to enjoy it even more as it slowly reveals that all sides of the conflict are morally questionable, save for the main group of protagonists (and even so, they are ****ed up in some way or another).

Basically, it's dark and edgy stuff and I like dark and edgy stuff. lol

But I agree that people are free to interpret fictional works as they see fit, but some people are obnoxious about it.
Ah Seraph of the End, now that is a perfect example of a shonen manga that panders to both. But the way it's done is rather a mess compared to Naruto (NaruHina vs NaruSaku says g'day!), where it would seem like they are leaning mostly to the other side to bait the fangirls. Gotta love how the author just troll both sides as long as he can until the manga comes to a complete end.

The shipping and gay jokes for any comment section or anime video can get annoying when its numerous I can admit. This is a supernatural vampire hunting manga with half the edge of Shin Megami Tensei, not DRAMatical Murder Light. :laugh:

People read the manga for the plot and not ships. So I can understand why things need to be more about the story instead of your fan written fantasies. That's what fanfiction and fanart is for. But be careful when looking for your favorite piece for any shonen fandom since you have a high choice to running into that fangirl's art. I'm still baffled a manga about a perverted octopus that teaches children to kill attracted that many of us.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
yaoi...always a fun subject /s

When it comes to romance and shipping I generally don't go further than what could feasibly be considered canon, even still I don't obsess over it...Personally I don't think its tge best way to apprecuate these characters, but to each their own I suppose...

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
All of your waifus are trash. Speedwagon is best waifu. That's all I have to say about anime.

(But really, the quality of Jojo went down dramatically during "season" 2. Anyone agree? Thought the first was much more interesting and thought out)

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
But be careful when looking for your favorite piece for any shonen fandom since you have a high choice to running into that fangirl's art. I'm still baffled a manga about a perverted octopus that teaches children to kill attracted that many of us.
Pixiv in a nutshell.

Also, that last part is the exact question I had when looking for AC fanart. How the hell does yaoi of school children become popular when the main character is a pervert with tentacles and Mach speed? :troll:

Bananija

Count of Trickery
All of your waifus are trash. Speedwagon is best waifu. That's all I have to say about anime.

(But really, the quality of Jojo went down dramatically during "season" 2. Anyone agree? Thought the first was much more interesting and thought out)
While I agree with the Speedwagon is best waifu statements, I can't say I agree with the second one, because season 2 is pretty relative. Care to explain what you mean by that?

D

Deleted member

I don't even ship, unless it's OCs.(Or just a pairing that is blatantly obvious but not technically confirmed.) Otherwise shipping bugs me when it makes little sense, but even then, whatever makes them happy.

More than middle aged men arguing personally insulting eachother toys, by a long shot. People need to see what cancer of a fandom can really be like. Who cares if people ship a x z, unless they're causing tension over it.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I look at it this way:
I couldn't give less of a crap about people shipping. If you want to pair up Cloud with Sephiroth that's all up to you. I think shipping as a whole is pointless, but I'm also just one opinion in a sea of differing opinions.

The problem is when it becomes an obsession. To the point to where the actual franchise on hand is second to whether or two characters could hypothetically get it on, or that it drowns out any other discussion on the franchise if not others as well.
Because at the end of the day the franchise won't die because the author didn't give some character the romance that they apparently deserve.

I'll be honest, I thought the first was kinda bland.
Not that Part 1 didn't have its fun moments. Far from it. But Part 2 felt a lot more like the insanity you'd expect from Jojo than Part 1.

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I ship characters quite a bit (it's hard to avoid shipping when you're a Touhou fan), but I don't go any farther than enjoying what the fan artists make and the manga they put out.

I prefer to let people think whatever they want as long they're not being obnoxious about it.

Last edited:

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
I don't even ship, unless it's OCs. Otherwise shipping bugs me when it makes little sense, but even then, whatever makes them happy.

More than middle aged men arguing personally insulting eachother toys, by a long shot. People need to see what cancer of a fandom can really be like. Who cares if people ship a x z, unless they're causing tension over it.
That's my take on the Sonic fandom, personally.

Everyone else thinks it's terrible because of the fancharacters and NSFW, but I've seen hatred and misery from that hellhole that makes Smash fans look like a bunch of happy BFFs who always have hope for the future and never hate anything ever by comparison. Once you've seen the pinnacle of toxic, the people having fun making up stories seem charming by comparison.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
I think of shipping as a game moreso.

I don't take it seriously and it's mostly what I find as awesome or cute.

People who take it seriously are somewhat not right in the head or just too muched involved in the show, game and/or book

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Ah Seraph of the End, now that is a perfect example of a shonen manga that panders to both. But the way it's done is rather a mess compared to Naruto (NaruHina vs NaruSaku says g'day!), where it would seem like they are leaning mostly to the other side to bait the fangirls. Gotta love how the author just troll both sides as long as he can until the manga comes to a complete end.

The shipping and gay jokes for any comment section or anime video can get annoying when its numerous I can admit. This is a supernatural vampire hunting manga with half the edge of Shin Megami Tensei, not DRAMatical Murder Light. :laugh:

People read the manga for the plot and not ships. So I can understand why things need to be more about the story instead of your fan written fantasies. That's what fanfiction and fanart is for. But be careful when looking for your favorite piece for any shonen fandom since you have a high choice to running into that fangirl's art. I'm still baffled a manga about a perverted octopus that teaches children to kill attracted that many of us.
Pretty much every comment in the anime's OST videos is from fangirls who don't shut up about the Yuu/Mika ship, it gets old fast and very annoying.

It's because of stuff like this that I rarely search for any fan art, regardless of series. It's bad enough when I want to find anime/manga art for online avatars and there's the unavoidable R34 art with varying levels of explicitness, which is why I tend to stick to official artwork.

Pixiv in a nutshell.

Also, that last part is the exact question I had when looking for AC fanart. How the hell does yaoi of school children become popular when the main character is a pervert with tentacles and Mach speed? :troll:
Curiously, I never ran into AC yaoi stuff, but I'd bet Nagisa/Karma would be the most popular ship out of all possibilities.

If I just made this guess right, it's because the anime/manga fanbase is that predictable.

And yes, with Koro-sensei being the MC, one would think the tentacle jokes would be too obvious. lol

And... I guess that's it for tonight as far as my presence is concerned. Good to see this thread really hasn't changed much during my inactivity. Plus, I got a chance to complain about hardcore anime fans a bit, which is a nice added bonus.

I'll see you guys next time.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Pretty much every comment in the anime's OST videos is from fangirls who don't shut up about the Yuu/Mika ship, it gets old fast and very annoying.

It's because of stuff like this that I rarely search for any fan art, regardless of series. It's bad enough when I want to find anime/manga art for online avatars and there's the unavoidable R34 art with varying levels of explicitness, which is why I tend to stick to official artwork.
I'll put it like this.
  • Imageboards are the mine.
  • Quality fan art is the metal you are looking for.
  • R34 is the rocks you remove from your way to reach the metal.
Also, Zerochan.com is a SFW imageboard. Might want to try there.

Last edited:

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
I certainly have some ships, some of which are even a bit silly, but of course I never take them too seriously. Separating Fanon from Canon is one of the most important things I feel you can do whenever you have an interest in a particular show/pairing/character/game/whatever. Shipping is a prime example of that. Do I think these two characters are cute together and have chemistry? Yeah. Do I feel like the source material should even consider said pairing, unless it's already canon in one way or another? Nah. There are other ships where I look at it and go "why do you honestly think those two would even work together", but it's all a matter of perspective. We're all hopeless romantics at the end of the day.

Also, inb4 someone coming in, making a joke greeting before commenting about how we're discussing a topic like shipping and then 'jokingly' posts a gif or video of themselves abandoning the thread because we're talking about something different for once.

Last edited:

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
As long as they don't shove it down my throat and take it too seriously, I'm fine with shipping. I think some characters in media I like would be cute together, but I'm not going to get on a soapbox and preach that my ship is better than anyone else's and anyone who thinks otherwise is a fool.

D

Deleted member

Why are we discussing Yaoi all of the sudden?

What the hell, did you just talk **** about Part 2? Go eat some shoes and think of what you've done!

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
A friend said I look like a shonen character.

I discovered that's some type of anime thanks to Google.

I still don't know if that's good or bad, so I just said thanks XD

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
A friend said I look like a shonen character, I discovered that's some type of anime thanks to Google.

I still don't know if that's good or bad, so I just said thanks XD
A shonen character is any character in an action-oriented anime for kids. Naruto, DBZ and Pokémon are good examples.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Oh, thanks!

That's... cool, I guess XD

*Throws a spear at friend*
I've really got to say, you look really jacked if that's really you in your avatar. O_O

No mater why you cosplayed as Little Mac some time ago.

D

Deleted member

Why are we discussing Yaoi all of the sudden?
I wish.(You know me.) It's more of shipping in general they're talking about, but yaoi specifically, just because that specifically was brought up.

But certainly feel more "unique". :estatic::upsidedown::067:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Meanwhile, a certain article writer around here compares me to Doc Louis of all Nintendo characters from a physical perspective. That's except my gut isn't as big, I have more hair (a fro if you must know), and a beard that I refuse to shave.

I could be a more rebellious college aged version of him if I think about it.
But don't expect any bike stealing out of me and since I can't bike worth ****. :troll:

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
I've really got to say, you look really jacked if that's really you in your avatar. O_O

No mater why you cosplayed as Little Mac some time ago.
Thank you!
Yeah, that's me.
I do some exercise, I really want to have a good physique, I will try to improve in the future

Yeah, hahaha, that's the reason why I did that "cosplay", I look a lot like Little Mac, except that I'm really tall, I also have the same haircut, but in my current avatar it's different thanks to the bandana XD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom