• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

FF was a Turn-Based RPG until X
Then it fell apart...
I play JRPGs for the turn-based combat, not for flashy button presses
Making it a hack n' slash is not a "natural" progression for the series

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
lol this is perfect

"What about the robot guy?"
"LEAVE HIM OUTTA THIS, CAPCOM DOESN'T EVEN KNOW HIM ANYMORE!"

"HE USED THE PSASBR WORD!"

FF was a Turn-Based RPG until X
Then it fell apart...
I play JRPGs for the turn-based combat, not for flashy button presses
Making it a hack n' slash is not a "natural" progression for the series
FFVII to IX actually aren't technically turn-based, but use the Active Time Battle system.

FFX is more turn-based, with it's CTB system, which literally stands for "Conditional Turn-Based System".

The QTEs for Overdrives don't make it a hack-and-slash. It's literally just equivalent to the QTEs for special moves in Paper Mario (the first two happened to be known as two of the best turn-based RPGs).

Last edited:

wedl!!

Goddess of Storms
NNID
Plushies4Ever

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
So, can anyone tell me why my images are broken? The thing is I screencapped my new avatar from Pixiv and I can't see the bloody thing.

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
Well I'm glad you asked. I can tell you plenty of the good things about the great outback. I can tell you that plenty Aussies would normally use a wide variety of slang that is kind of unfamiliar to an American (brickie, galah, surfie, good onya, etc). So one would have to learn the slang well in order to fit right in.

And I can tell you that church going is looked down upon in some parts of the country, so don't expect any full churches or prayers on Sunday. Also, they hate loud people of any kind and you would have to keep it down with your voice. It's probably to the point where it's a stereotype of how we view Americans or any foreign tourists. :laugh:
That's really interesting. I can be loud, but usually only if I'm in a group and we're playing games like Mafia... I'll keep that in mind haha.

Also, that's our stereotype? I thought all Americans were fat, stupid, and lazy? (I just so happen to be all 3 lol jk). I don't know any Australians personally, and the stereotypical Australian in media is always loud, so that's a funny thing to hear. (Steve Irwin, I guess Jackman and Crowe aren't really, but Crocodile Dundee, and my favorite channel RackaRacka are super loud haha) Thanks for the info :) I don't go to church so the 2nd thing won't be a problem. I didn't know that though. Only some parts of the country it's looked down on? Now I'm curious, gonna look that up!!

Last edited:
So, I'm finally heading into this thread for the first time.

'Sup?
Howdy!

You've conveniently entered the thread in one of the few times nothing is going terribly wrong. Impressive luck
So, can anyone tell me why my images are broken? The thing is I screencapped my new avatar from Pixiv and I can't see the bloody thing.
Smashboards avis die at random so it might be that. Sometimes every avi uploaded just gets broken for a while until it gets sorted and avis work again.

wedl!!

Goddess of Storms
NNID
Plushies4Ever
Have you not seen all the "boi if u dont" edits and the dazed Mr. Krabs memes

Spongebill will neva dye

D

Deleted member

FFVII to IX actually aren't technically turn-based, but use the Active Time Battle system.
The ATB is the natural progression of Turn-Based RPG though
The QTEs for Overdrives don't make it a hack-and-slash. It's literally just equivalent to the QTEs for special moves in Paper Mario (the first two happened to be known as two of the best turn-based RPGs).
I dunno what PM has to do with FF besides being a RPG
But if I remember correctly, QTEs were somehow related to "press X to win" mechanic in FFXIII aka "auto battle"
FFX is more turn-based, with it's CTB system, which literally stands for "Conditional Turn-Based System".
Your point being?
I said AFTER FFX
I've been trying tovupload a new avi since this morning so I guess Smashboards is broken again
I'm sorry what.

Remember Bananagate?

I try not to.
"Amazing Atheist"
"GamerGate"
I think I now know how his channel is like

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
is spongebob even still relevant?
Spongebob will never not be relevant.

Early spongebob is the dankest(As in, produces the most memes) show around for a reason, it's good writing and memorable quotes cause people to apply it to all sorts of situations. I frequently reference spongebob in my everyday life, it's just that good.

wedl!!

Goddess of Storms
NNID
Plushies4Ever
Well.

Bananagate is... something else entirely. I'd tell you to Google it but I'd rather you weren't exposed to him pouring scalding hot oil on his microsomethingorother.

Although TAA is a pretty hardcore MRA.

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
*falls from his chair*

First Transformers, then Nisekoi's costumes in Mario Maker, and now this.

Just imagine how these partnerships could occur in the next Smash generation...
Smash Bros X Mercedes Benz when?

Also confirmed for Europe
Oh man, I thought they'd get pineapple vs rock!

So, I'm finally heading into this thread for the first time.

'Sup?
Welcome! Hope you enjoy your time here!

And SpongeBob V Patrick is so weird lol.

D

Deleted member

"Amazing Atheist"
"GamerGate"
Nope.... Bananna gate is something differently entirely and definitelt NSFW for this site. >_>

Also, he's rather self loathing. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Well.

Bananagate is... something else entirely. I'd tell you to Google it but I'd rather you weren't exposed to him pouring scalding hot oil on his microsomethingorother.

Although TAA is a pretty hardcore MRA.
Nope.... Bananna gate is something differently entirely and definitelt NSFW for this site. >_>

Also, he's rather self loathing. :p
Oh, I thought that was just a little jab at GG :p
I'll try not googling it
What is a "MRA" though?

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
The ATB is the natural progression of Turn-Based RPG though

I dunno what PM has to do with FF besides being a RPG
But if I remember correctly, QTEs were somehow related to "press X to win" mechanic in FFXIII aka "auto battle"

Your point being?
I said AFTER FFX

I've been trying tovupload a new avi since this morning so I guess Smashboards is broken again

"Amazing Atheist"
"GamerGate"
And complete real-time battle systems (Kingdom Hearts, Crisis Core, FFXV, etc) are the natural progression of turn-based and ATB, and are what Square developers wanted to do from the start, especially on the 3D consoles.

Also Paper Mario started out as a sequel to Super Mario RPG, and ended up as a spiritual successor to it anyway. Super Mario RPG was made by Squaresoft. Naturally, Paper Mario is pretty comparable to FF.

And no, FFXIII did not have any QTEs. Auto-Battle was also not a "press X to win" mechanic as it was rarely the optimal way to play.

And before you try to argue with me on that last bit with FFXIII, I am just one trophy short of the Platinum trophy in FFXIII and IIRC my total play time is around 120 hours.

I also have the Platinum Trophy in FFXIII-2, which has a similar battle system.

Last edited:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
lol this is perfect

"What about the robot guy?"
"LEAVE HIM OUTTA THIS, CAPCOM DOESN'T EVEN KNOW HIM ANYMORE!"

"HE USED THE PSASBR WORD!"

"According to this game, I know 'Sora' so I'm in!"
Sounds legit...XD

D

Deleted member

And complete real-time battle systems (Kingdom Hearts, Crisis Core, FFXV, etc) are the natural progression of turn-based and ATB,
Action RPGs=/=Turn-Based RPGs
KH is not comparable to FF
Also Paper Mario started out as a sequel to Super Mario RPG, and ended up as a spiritual successor to it anyway. Super Mario RPG was made by Squaresoft. Naturally, Paper Mario is pretty comparable to FF.
Still don't get how this is relevant
Sure, Square made SMRPG but that only gives PM a tangential connection to FF
And no, FFXIII did not have any QTEs. Auto-Battle was also not a "press X to win" mechanic as it was rarely the optimal way to play.
I admit I don't know about QTEs
But I did play some of FFXIII-2 and the opening battle is literally just pressing X in Auto Battle with... uh, QTEs? What!?
Still, the point is that the current FFs are not what the older FFs were
Making such drastic gameplay changes to the point the game isn't even recongizable anymore isn't a "natural progression"
It's literally another game with a big name put on it to sell better

ChikoLad

Purple Boi

But I did play some of FFXIII-2 and the opening battle is literally just pressing X in Auto Battle with... uh, QTEs? What!?
Making such drastic gameplay changes to the point the game isn't even recongizable anymore isn't a "natural progression"
Action RPGs and Turn Based RPGs are not the same, but they are comparable. And KH is absolutely comparable to FF, considering FF is the foundation of a lot of things in KH. KH is effectively what they've always wanted to do with FF since the PS1 days, in terms of gameplay.

Paper Mario is relevant because you mentioned QTEs as some bad element for FFX. Even though they work just as well as the QTEs in SMRPG and Paper Mario, which are specifically praised for having them. They are also far less abundant in FFX so you don't even have to rely on them as much. I don't see why you mentioned the QTEs in FFX as a "bad" thing when all they do is add a justification for super moves in the game (which is all they are used for). Those moves would be OP if you didn't have some kind of skill barrier applied to them.

And yes, like any other RPG, you have very limited options at the start of the FFXIII games, and so Auto-Battle works fine there. It becomes increasingly useless as you progress though, and as you get much more options, because it basically never gives you the true best options later on. Auto-Battle is essentially there for beginners, and for situations where you don't know what moves to use and decide to just wing it with something random.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I honestly stopped playing after FFX/X-2. I like slow turn-based over Battle Gauge, but at least it's still a form of turn-based. Pure action rpg's like the Tales of games really don't fit with Final Fantasy(and now, they are not a natural progression of turn-based. Action gauge is, because it's a form of turn-based that wants you to react to things, not just wait. One of my favorite games, Quest 64, is a turn-based game with good action elements that make the gameplay unique. It's similar to Paper Mario in a sense, but you can fully move around instead of pressing a button to dodge/counter a move. Simple, yet effective). It's just a complete genre change, in the same way that Super Paper Mario was. That's not what people wanted. At least SPM still kept some of the most important parts of the PM series. The second you see a FF MMORPG, you already know issues exist; Regular FF games are designed with single player in mind, and a few games allow a second controller during battles only(which didn't work well, mind you). They also have an epic story, which is really hard to do with MMORPG's, because you have to have tons of tinier stories instead. Likewise, FF is not an action rpg in the same way as things like KH(which plays entirely differently to everything but the spin-offs or "Final Fantasy games in name only" like 11, 12, and 13) or Tales of. It's a severe difference that turned off people. 13 sucked for another reason as well; Where the hell are real towns? It's severely linear to the point of ridiculousness. At least the story isn't bad. But lmao at autogameplay being a "progression" of the series. It's a serious downgrade. People already get tired of constant cutscenes and less chances to actually play the game. Now the game plays for you? Doesn't matter if it's optimal or not. The fact it's an option you can easily do and more or less not get punished for it heavily is a sign of terrible game design. They're even more dumb than Quick Time Events.

Among all the Sonic platformers, it was always a series progression, even with gimmicks attached. You still have the same platforming basically done. Yes, they have issues, often poor stage design or the controls not being responsive enough(the Unleashed era's controls and engine were a huge change from the Sonic Adventure 1 engine(which was used in all 3D games but the Storybook games up to 06). The thing is, they never completely changed the core that much, which is the point. Final Fantasy lost its identity since 11 and is just using the brand name, not anything remotely resembling the series except at best, anime-style(often with too many belts) character design.

Frankly, 11, 12, 13, and so on should've been spin-offs. MMORPG's are not what FF is about. They're not even close to an evolution of the series. They're basically a game that solely has the name, but not any of the proper gameplay. FF is supposed to be a turn-based series. That's what it does. That's what made it stand out, being a unique turn-based series where every game had an amazing new way to play, which is what made it sell well. Of course not every particular gimmick is immediately popular, and I can understand the dislike of 8 itself(I love it, but I see the issues too), and so on. But it's still the same core gameplay, with new gimmicks. 11 dropped the ball and the series hasn't recovered since.

Paper Mario is a good example of the same issue. While Super Paper Mario was clearly more of a spin-off of the gameplay, the next two games went extreme on the gimmicks, while losing three of the most important aspects that made Paper Mario notable; A halfway decent or awesome story(the first game was a bit lackluster compared to TTYD and SPM, respectively. Still good overall). Real partners with personality. And level up experience. This is why veterans are calling out SS and CS' design. They want what they grew up with. And it's not just that alone, but SS is bareboned in story, has crap characterization, still lacks experience points. It's an rpg, yes(since there's a ton of factors that can make an rpg), but a pretty poor one in the long run. Color Splash is having the same issues unless they somehow magically realize that SS had design issues and complaints for a very good reason.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Oh, I thought that was just a little jab at GG :p
I'll try not googling it
What is a "MRA" though?
Actually, it is a jab at "gates" in general. As there's been many, many gates before gamer gate.

And MRA stands for Men's Right Activists... Even though they actually go by MRM, Men's rights movement.

Though he never actually claimed to be apart of them, unless I missed him saying it all of this time.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Because I found out we're getting a live action Mega Man, a legit one, I have a few questions!
What potential video game movie do you think will fail? Kirby,I can't see how it could work
What potential video game movie do you think will be great? Metroid. The manga says enough
What potential video game movie do you have no clue for? FE, it has enough elements, but it would need cuts

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Because I found out we're getting a live action Mega Man, a legit one, I have a few questions!
What potential video game movie do you think will fail? Kirby,I can't see how it could work
What potential video game movie do you think will be great? Metroid. The manga says enough
What potential video game movie do you have no clue for? FE, it has enough elements, but it would need cuts
Wait.

WHAT?

I knew we were getting a cartoon, but this is a thing now?

. . .They better be reaaaaal delicate with the casting. Being live action gives it a whole lot more ways it can go wrong than the already wide plethora of ways an animated film could go wrong.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

Besides you being right anyway(cause lol at PM being compared to FF when SMRPG didn't even really play like any Final Fantasy game. It was its own engine with the most basic of similarity, slow turn-based. It has a single button for specific commands too, another FF thing that doesn't exist outside of hack and slash variants(which inherently should be spin-offs).

QTE's are basically a long cutscene where you press certain buttons at the right time to either A) Not get a game over or B) Influence an event for things like prizes or a scoring system(the scoring system usually does nothing).

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
FF is supposed to be a turn-based series. That's what it does.
This statement is just going back to the same problem FFXV's director stated - everyone started with a particular FF, and then goes on with the tunnel vision assumption of "this is what FF is supposed to be".

It's easy to say "FF is supposed to be this or that", but what happens when there are people who started with XI, XII, XIII, etc, and feel FF should be like those games?

Personally, I started with FFIX, didn't play much for a while, then sort of got into things like Crisis Core, Dissidia, FFIV, and FFXIII in a similar timeframe.

In the end, I don't care what FF is as long as it's some kind of an RPG (be it turn-based, action-RPG, or MMORPG - action-RPG is my preferred but I also really like a middle ground like FFXIII was. I can do turn-based but I feel that gets stagnant as it's harder to make interesting) and is a good game. Some of them are not to my taste as much so I just avoid those as much as I can, while the plenty of people who enjoy the installment I skip out on, enjoy that one.

And that's how the franchise has always been.

Also, FF has always tried to push technical boundaries since VI, and it can't do that by always being turn-based. This is another thing that's constantly brought up by the developers as a defining factor of the franchise.

Honestly FF's shaky ground as a franchise probably has more to do with careless budgets and some unnecessary spin-offs being made. Some of them being outright failures (All the Bravest comes to mind, and the original FFXIV).

Also Paper Mario Sticker Star's situation isn't comparable to a modern FF. At least modern FF's are good at what they are trying to be (like how FFXIV: RR is legitimately a really good MMO). Sticker Star wants to be an RPG (or an Action-Adventure? Bill's comment confuses me in that Nintendo Direct), but is a really bad RPG from a fundamental level.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I don't know if someone had already posted the following video, but it does show some new gameplay footage from Star Fox Zero.

However, while watching the video, Wolf's appearance (starting at 5:42) looked quite off for my tastes.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I slept for the last 2, 3 hours and I had so many dreams it was crazy

I had a dream where EVERYONE replaced their bodies in robots, but no one remembered doing so. Everyone lived their lives in blissful ignorance believing they were humans. But one old woman started remembering and she wen around telling other people they were robots. Eventually the police arrived, who DID know they were robots. They wiped everyone's memories and arrested the woman. She was doomed to some horrible fate for apparently being immune to the memory eraser thing.

The other two weren't as exciting. One was just me on vacation with friends and family and we remembered we didn't plan out how long we were going to be there and didn't have return tickets back. Also it had me riding in airplanes multiple times, which is always scary. The last one was me trying to get some Star Wars merchandise from Toys R' Us but some woman and her children kept shoving themselves in the way. The children came up to me creepy and said in unison "Our mother is angry at you". To which I was like "I don't really care, you children are the ones that have to concern yourself with her, not me". Nothing came of it, but I got a Star Wars watch.

D

Deleted member

A Mega Man LIVE ACTION movie?
Something something bad box art Mega Man
Besides you being right anyway(cause lol at PM being compared to FF when SMRPG didn't even really play like any Final Fantasy game. It was its own engine with the most basic of similarity, slow turn-based. It has a single button for specific commands too, another FF thing that doesn't exist outside of hack and slash variants(which inherently should be spin-offs).

QTE's are basically a long cutscene where you press certain buttons at the right time to either A) Not get a game over or B) Influence an event for things like prizes or a scoring system(the scoring system usually does nothing).
I meant I don't know much about QTEs in FF
Because I'm pretty sure XIII-2 had one in the opening battle

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Funny how Square dropped Turn-Based, only to find out in Bravely Default that people still love Turn-Based JRPGS.

And now I'll use this as an excuse to post the game's brilliant music.

Last edited:

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Funny how Square dropped Turn-Based, only to find out in Bravely Default that people still love Turn-Based JRPGS.
I swear, I've heard people on the internet somewhere say that Turn-Based RPGs are archaic and dead, and that Pokemon was the only one that wouldn't "get with the times." It might have been on a game design article or something, even. IDK.

Those people are stupid.

I swear, I've heard people on the internet somewhere say that Turn-Based RPGs are archaic and dead, and that Pokemon was the only one that wouldn't "get with the times." It might have been on a game design article or something, even. IDK.

Those people are stupid.
>Tried and True approach is "stale" and "dead"
>Developers change away from old formula to "keep up with the times"
>People long for the old formula that was so familiar.

It happens all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom