• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
>Galah

Funny how one word can make someone change their profile entirely.

Also @SlickWylde just so you know, if someone comes up to you and says "Suh dude" its a greeting short for "What's up dude?" :p
Is there something wrong? I know my grandfather would call more than enough people that word when he's in a bad mood. But that's implying that the word itself is outdated by today's standards.

EDIT: Oh I get it now. That new title is so hilarious. :laugh:

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
7.8/10 Too much Wanda. :p

Seriously though, IGN?

jesus this may be my least favorite area in any RPG i've ever played (which isn't many). The beginning of disc 2 for FFVIII is a bunch of circular rooms where you go down ~7 floors at the beginning to get some nice bonuses then you have to go up 12 floors to continue he game, then you have to go up those same 4 floors starting from back down on the 8th floor to get back to the top and NOW I have to go back to the bottom floor from the 8th. And it's the same room over and over so there is no variety and the music has no diversity. Jesus, Squall must really be dead because this is definitely either purgatory or hell

Now its going to be '9/10 Occasionally lonely' lol :p

All I can imagine for "lonely" is Qwark sitting in his appointment wearing a robe eating snacks while binge watching old holovids and sighing.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
So I was sort of reminiscing on Big's Big Fishing Adventure 3 a bit.

The main thing I wanna share, is the character artwork.

A lot of people got the same impression from them - we all pretty much thought "these LOOK like Yuji Uekawa art, but I've never seen it before".

Well, turns out they simply got a fan artist on deviantART to make these for the game...but that honestly makes this even more impressive. These are spot on with Uekawa's style. I really would like this style to have more prominence in promotional material and what not, and it's good to know that even if Uekawa can't always do it, SEGA could definitely hire some fans to do it. This style really will never truly die if fans are able to re-create it so well.

Also, this may sound silly, but - is it just me, or was the characterisation actually really spot on? Like I legit feel like this game has some of the best Sonic characterisation we've seen in years, since Unleashed and Black Knight (except for Eggman since he's generally always great).

Sonic was played fairly safe - had an attitude with Eggman, but was friendly with Big, if a little weirded out by him. Nothing too spectacular, but a solid representation of the character.

Knuckles wasn't a complete idiot, despite the fact they made fun of his growing nonchalant demeanour towards the Master Emerald. He was able to make some clever comebacks in his argument with Shadow, and actually wasn't the one who started the argument, and tried to be friendly. And he gave some nice advice to Big.

Shadow really did come across more like he should at least in these more silly games - a more aggressive and blunt Sonic, but not some huge edgelord. And he did find some time to calm down and be nice to Big too.

Eggman was Eggman. Nothing more I need to say.

And Big was actually great. I've actually always unironically liked Big in the original Sonic Adventure and in Sonic Heroes. And I think they really nailed his portrayal in this game. While he's definitely not the sharpest tool in the shed, and is lazy and aloof, they actually brought back his smarter side and his wit, something he actually did have in Adventure and Heroes (especially Heroes). Some of his witty retorts are legitimately clever and he does actually come across as knowing what he's doing for the first time in a long time.

I hope this is a sign for the writing in the next Sonic game. If what is ultimately an April Fools joke (that's looking like it will be expanded upon), can actually make some intriguing characterisation, there is no excuse for the main series games.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura

A lot of people got the same impression from them - we all pretty much thought "these LOOK like Yuji Uekawa art, but I've never seen it before".

Well, turns out they simply got a fan artist on deviantART to make these for the game...but that honestly makes this even more impressive. These are spot on with Uekawa's style. I really would like this style to have more prominence in promotional material and what not, and it's good to know that even if Uekawa can't always do it, SEGA could definitely hire some fans to do it. This style really will never truly die if fans are able to re-create it so well.

Also, this may sound silly, but - is it just me, or was the characterisation actually really spot on? Like I legit feel like this game has some of the best Sonic characterisation we've seen in years, since Unleashed and Black Knight (except for Eggman since he's generally always great).

Sonic was played fairly safe - had an attitude with Eggman, but was friendly with Big, if a little weirded out by him. Nothing too spectacular, but a solid representation of the character.

Knuckles wasn't a complete idiot, despite the fact they made fun of his growing nonchalant demeanour towards the Master Emerald. He was able to make some clever comebacks in his argument with Shadow, and actually wasn't the one who started the argument, and tried to be friendly. And he gave some nice advice to Big.

Shadow really did come across more like he should at least in these more silly games - a more aggressive and blunt Sonic, but not some huge edgelord. And he did find some time to calm down and be nice to Big too.

And Big was actually great. I've actually always unironically liked Big in the original Sonic Adventure and in Sonic Heroes. And I think they really nailed his portrayal in this game. While he's definitely not the sharpest tool in the shed, and is lazy and aloof, they actually brought back his smarter side and his wit, something he actually did have in Adventure and Heroes (especially Heroes). Some of his witty retorts are legitimately clever and he does actually come across as knowing what he's doing for the first time in a long time.

I hope this is a sign for the writing in the next Sonic game. If what is ultimately an April Fools joke (that's looking like it will be expanded upon), can actually make some intriguing characterisation, there is no excuse for the main series games.
This is all the more reason that Webber needs to be more than a Social Media head. Dank memes aside, he's shown more knowledge and love of Sonic than Sega has in like a decade.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336

The new artwork in Big's Big Fishing Adventure was one of the things I loved most about that game (along with the writing and of course, Flappy Big). I really want to see Yuji Uekawa's art style return for the games.

Got a game over and just lost about 20 minutes of gameplay. Man I love how we have checkpoints and autosaves nowadays.

So I just went from having that ****ty area (that has a fake boss which is swell), to a section where we are in disguise, to winning a boss fight with a minute left on a 10-minutes timer, to having half of my party explode, to having a party member put their dog on a crossbow and fire the dog at a t-rex to blow it up.

Just another day in the life.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

You know, while i was looking trough my old posts, i found some wierd stuff.

BAZOOKA DEE.png

BAZOOKA DEE LIVES!

Ahh, good times, good times.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Man, the enemies in the bottom of the Pit of 100 Trials really don't mess around! O_O

In related news, Thousand Year Door is a really good game.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Ohhh that's neat.

Marvel.com's running a promotion today only that lets you get a free month of the Unlimited service. You still need to put in your billing info, but if you cancel it immediately after you still get the month for free. Pretty neat for those who want to get into the comics or to just give them a look. :p

Figured since we were talking Marvel stuff earlier that I'd mention it.

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
Michael Keaton has gone from being Birdman to potentially playing a real Bird-Man (Vulture).

What a time to be alive.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
The Amazing Atheist did a video on the history of Marilyn Manson, covering some stories and the meanings behind his albums.

He has an interesting view on it

I haven't actually heard anything from Marilyn Manson since "The Golden Age of Grotesque" during the age I was really into that kind of music.

I have not heard any of his new albums. The friends I knew that were into him went their separate ways in 2007, before his album "Eat Me, drink me" - which I heard wasn't very good anyway. So, i started a cycle where I stopped listening to a lot of music. Not to mention the music I listened to seemed to be a defining characteristic of me and I thought it was the best to change who I was.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Of course.... The ONE day my phone is dead most of the day and I can't use it, a trailer with actual footage for this movie comes out. :p
Why does his tail look so unnaturally big and abnormal? I don't know if it's just the angles or something, but his tail looks very disproportionate, especially in that shot with the helicopter shooting at him. That aside, he actually looks pretty good and terrifying.

That being said, got Pokken today. Besides really liking Chandalure, I absolutely love the fact that in Tellur(?) Town, there is a Day Care with a Old Man at the front door holding an Egg, a Ditto and a Gible in the Day Care field and a Pokemon Trainer on a Bike riding around the Day Care with a Volcarona following him. Got to love it when common player practices are acknowledged by developers/future games/etc.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Another Civil War clip for those interested:

Oh hey, the Black Widow and Sharon Carter parts had Behind the Scenes B-Roll shots released of it the other day! Neat to see the finished product sooner than expected. Looks like a good scene. :p

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Been reading through the Hyrule Historia again...it really is incredible how many changes these characters go through before their final concept is decided upon...Fi for example had some seriously drastic changes from one concept to the next...

I love reading through various artbooks for games and movies...definitely gives you a sense of how much thought goes into these designs...and sometimes a design could even change certain story elements...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Why does his tail look so unnaturally big and abnormal? I don't know if it's just the angles or something, but his tail looks very disproportionate, especially in that shot with the helicopter shooting at him. That aside, he actually looks pretty good and terrifying.
That's because it is HUGE. According to my boyfriend's calculations he did, the tail stands 190 meters(646 feet.) tall.... While this Godzilla, stands 118 meters tall.(387 feet.) So in other words, his own tail DWARFS HIM. Which is insane.(And this is from a Godzilla that dwarfs the previous biggest one, G14.) But I strangely like his extremely long tail. It's like a huge whip of destruction and makes him appear more of a sea dweller that he really is, more of a little bit of serpent.

Also, Godzilla tails have amounted to more length than their own bodies since the Heisie era of Godzilla movies.(Though this one is the longest by far.) It's just much more noticeable because this one keeps its tail up. He seemingly has a lot of control over it.

In other news, I had a pretty great day today. And as you can see via avatar, I've gotten back to my girlfriend as her best friend. I finally got to tell her that I'm proud of her staying true to herself and that if she ever changes her mind, I'll accept her back as my girlfriend. It went very well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ivander

Smash Legend
That's because it is HUGE. According to my boyfriend's calculations he did, the tail stands 190 meters(646 feet.) tall.... While this Godzilla, stands 118 meters tall.(387 feet.) So in other words, his own tail DWARFS HIM. Which is insane.(And this is from a Godzilla that dwarfs the previous biggest one, G14.) But I strangely like his extremely long tail. It's like a huge whip of destruction and makes him appear more of a sea dweller that he really is, more of a little bit of serpent.
It's not so much that it's big. It's just that the tail looks very.......what's the word....bulbous? Inflated? Like if you had your hands and started dragging them to the tip of his tail, it would feel like there were out-of-proportion bumps across his tail. Basically, with your hands moving across, your hands would be rising and falling abnormally with no synchronizing, compared to his other tails in which his tails look more....equal-ish(?) and your hands would be smoothly going down his tail at a steady pace until your hands came together. That's the sort of impression I getting from his tail.
Than again, I am thinking a bit too much of that one scene in a previous Godzilla movie where the tip of his tail fell off, so it could be me overthinking it a bit.

D

Deleted member

It's not so much that it's big. It's just that the tail looks very.......what's the word....bulbous? Inflated? Like if you had your hands and started dragging them to the tip of his tail, it would feel like there were out-of-proportion bumps across his tail. Basically, with your hands moving across, your hands would be rising and falling abnormally with no synchronizing, compared to his other tails in which his tails look more....equal-ish(?) and your hands would be smoothly going down his tail at a steady pace until your hands came together. That's the sort of impression I getting from his tail.
Than again, I am thinking a bit too much of that one scene in a previous Godzilla movie where the tip of his tail fell off, so it could be me overthinking it a bit.
Oh, that's simple. That's because there's a lot of missing chunks of skin missing of is tail.
He's been severely damaged by something, almost to the point of looking like he's undead. Thus he purposely has many imperfections.

And also, his tail didn't fall off most of the time, besides the G14 and G2000-2003. Besides that, it's never ended like a normal reptile tale would. Rather the tip is round.

Sorry f I'm overwhelming , I just like to talk about this. :p

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Gonna start Donkey Kong Country 3 soon.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Gonna start Donkey Kong Country 3 soon.
It's a pretty underrated game.

It's main weaknesses imo is the lack of an atmosphere and a unifying theme of the enemies. That's really it. The soundtrack and platforming are still good.

:231:

Last edited:

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
So I watched the first episode of some anime called Kiznaivers.

The concept is so ****ing dumb.

Some woman wants to achieve world peace, so as an experiment, said woman has basically linked these 6 people's wounds together so that whenever one of the 6 gets hurt all of them get hurt as well.

Considering she wants to achieve world peace, that would mean that every single person ever would have to be bound by a would on their arm.

Not only would that be time consuming af, but it probably won't achieve world peace since someone is going to decide to hurt someone else or themselves knowing everyone else is going to as well.

How can she this isn't going to end well? :facepalm:

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

Some woman wants to achieve world peace, so as an experiment, said woman has basically linked these 6 people's wounds together so that whenever one of the 6 gets hurt all of them get hurt as well.

Considering she wants to achieve world peace, that would mean that every single person ever would have to be bound by a would on their arm.

Not only would that be time consuming af, but it probably won't achieve world peace since someone is going to decide to hurt someone else or themselves knowing everyone else is going to as well.

BECAUSE METAPHORS ARE COOL!

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357

Like Swamp said, I think it's meant to be metaphoric. I'm actually interested in that anime because of that concept and because it's by studio Trigger (best known for Kill la Kill).

It's one of the anime of this season I'm looking forward... Thinking about it, this season I'm following 8 anime at once. I've never followed this amount of series at once before, so I guess I'm becoming a bigger fan as time goes?

I suppose it's only natural as my mind opens and I explore different genres and become more familiar with directors, studios, VAs and artists working on the medium as a whole.

Still a far cry from being an hardcore otaku to the point of spending loads of cash on merchandise and figures... I just enjoy the shows for what they are. Then again, I don't call myself a hardcore gamer either and generally don't spend on more than the games themselves. (I'm not very good at Smash either despite having played games in the series for over a decade.)

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
BECAUSE METAPHORS ARE COOL!
Like Swamp said, I think it's meant to be metaphoric. I'm actually interested in that anime because of that concept and because it's by studio Trigger (best known for Kill la Kill).

It's one of the anime of this season I'm looking forward... Thinking about it, this season I'm following 8 anime at once. I've never followed this amount of series at once before, so I guess I'm becoming a bigger fan as time goes?

I suppose it's only natural as my mind opens and I explore different genres and become more familiar with directors, studios, VAs and artists working on the medium as a whole.

Still a far cry from being an hardcore otaku to the point of spending loads of cash on merchandise and figures... I just enjoy the shows for what they are. Then again, I don't call myself a hardcore gamer either and generally don't spend on more than the games themselves. (I'm not very good at Smash either despite having played games in the series for over a decade.)
Yeah, but I'm sick of metaphors after 10 weeks of english class

D

Deleted member

DKC2 > DKCTF > DKC3 > DKCR > DKC1

Come at me. :4lucina:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
What? Lol
No, seriously, who is that?

TRUE EQUALITY
How does it work if someone's hurt in a place some of the others don't have? This is a serious question
I guess you could say he's part of the "Skeptic" community on the youtubes.

There is a couple of them I like to watch from time to time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom