• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

wedl!!

Goddess of Storms
NNID
Plushies4Ever
when i was 10 i made a birthday cake with the help of my mom

it was just a regular cake with vanilla frosting

but on top was sonic's face, which I had made with frosting

it looked like one of those sonic head popsicle things

OurBraveHero

Smash Lord
NNID
ourbravehero
What if the "choose your gender" is actually more like "Link isn't addressed as a specific gender at any point in the game and looks ambiguous so the player feels more like Link's a representation of the player" like the initial idea behind Link as a character?

I'm all for having a "Male" or "Female" Link because that is one thing Aonuma has stated multiple times, Link is meant to be an avatar for the player, and there are a HUGE amount of female gamers, so it makes sense. But having Link just straight up be gender neutral overall would make sense too, because it'd be an avatar for literally everyone if they're just ambiguous. Don't have to get down into the "what about trans/genderfluid/non-binary/etc" topics.

EDIT: ALSO HI, EVERYONE. SORRY I'VE BEEN AWAY FOR A WHILE. :V

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
The best one I had was being allowed to cut a pizza instead of a cake last year. :laugh:

:231:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I wonder if I am the reason my dog is going to need to be put down.

She always slams herself into thing while playing ball, and I remember one time when playing with her she DID slam into the wall

I wasn't the person that played ball with her in the house that often, just that one time

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Original intent, as in, in Zelda 1
He was supposed to be the "link" to the player after all, but it is clear this idea was dropped afterbif
It is? To my knowledge even as recently as the Skyward Sword Miyamoto's been goin on about Link still serving the same purpose he always did as a conduit between the player and the game.

There was no gender switch though
No, there wasn't. But for all intensive purposes Lucina is "girl Marth" in terms of design, and the fact that "girl Marth" was able to pass as "regular Marth" demonstrates that gender-swapped androgynous characters can act as quasi-facsimiles of each other, while other more starkly gendered characters cannot without more substantial alterations or an appearance less conducive to positive reception. Simply in terms of design that much is true.

Does being androgynous help with disguising? Sure. Does it help or justify to change the gender of a character? Certainly not.
I'm not saying Link is androgynous so he might as well be female. I'm saying Link changes all the time, and him being female would not be a huge departure aesthetically for him since he is androgynous.

Implying that him being androgynous makes it easier to simply do a gender-bent on him
I'm not sure if easier is the right word; I don't think Nintendo sees designing any of its characters as an "easy" process, but it would be less of a shift visually than many other characters.

IMO, just changing an existing character to a different gender is just pandering for the sake of it and somewhat cheapens the character.
But you do realize this is something requested more from Zelda fans than, like... politically correct SJWs, yes? You can go look at the poll on NeoGAF to see a ton more people want female Link over Linkle. She's being beat nearly 2:1.

Pandering to the politically-correct agenda is one thing, but pandering to the actual fans is another. We love when that happens in Smash.

I was uncomfortable talking about Rosalina for a while simply because she was a female character and growing up in school, I got the impression people would harass me for liking a female character that wasn't blatantly badass or sexy on a surface level like Lara Croft or Bayonetta or whatever.
I see. For what it's worth, my friend has mained Peach ever since Melee and gave himself more **** for it than any of the other guys ever did. But one anecdote can't represent everything, so fair enough.

These days, it's just that I feel there is a stigma attached to me regarding the character. In general for the character though, I don't feel there is much of one. It's mostly a drop in the bucket from very minor communities.

And thank you!
No offence intended, but sometimes bringing up the same character over and over does begin to rub people the wrong way. And it would hardly be the first time that happened on here. We became known elsewhere as that place that thought Kawashima had a chance simply because fumichan was always bringing him up lol.

I wonder if I am the reason my dog is going to need to be put down.

She always slams herself into thing while playing ball, and I remember one time when playing with her she DID slam into the wall

I wasn't the person that played ball with her in the house that often, just that one time
The answer is no, so don't start blaming yourself. A single slam against a wall is an accident, not worthy of blame, and not something that would cause such repercussions.

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
The moment I saw Zootopia I already knew their plan for a sequel

Rabbit and Fox fall in love. People get mad because a Rabbit and Fox "can't be together". Entire movie is a social commentary on interracial/homosexual marriage. Disney gets praised for being "progressive".

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
The moment I saw Zootopia I already knew their plan for a sequel

Rabbit and Fox fall in love. People get mad because a Rabbit and Fox "can't be together". Entire movie is a social commentary on interracial/homosexual marriage. Disney gets praised for being "progressive".
I could actually see this to....

And am the only laughing at the:

"Swampasaur replied to Swamp" notification I just got?

Reading it as swamp replied to Swamp?

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I asked my mom to make me a Stitch 626 cake when I was.....gah I can't remember for the life of me how old I was when I got that cake, but I know it was years ago. I was really young.

Twas an awesome cake, but I settle for a mostly plain and simple chocolate cake nowadays. Chocolate cake is the only flavor I'll ever have for my birthday, lol

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
I had a pokemon cake for my birthday once.

It was years ago, but pretty cool.

As time went on, my parents would do ones with my picture on it or nothing at all. Cake is still good regardless though!

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I just learned something today!

I always thought Sonic was fighting Caterkiller's in the Sonic movie

But he's actually fighting Crawltons

D

Deleted member

I could actually see this to....

And am the only laughing at the:

"Swampasaur replied to Swamp" notification I just got?
To be fair, Swamp does talk to himself at times....:p
Reading it as swamp replied to Swamp?

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
So I've finally gotten through Earthbound and I gotta say it was a lot of fun. And while I'm all for Mother 3 being released here, I can't help but wonder whether everyone else will be on the same boat.

Now sure there have always been the jokes of: "They changed a line of dialogue, I hate you Nintendo!" Especially to the likes of Fire Emblem nowadays. But unlike newer FE games Mother 3 is a game that has never touched our shores. And at best we have Tomato's fan patch. Couple that with the fact that it's often considered one of if not the greatest game to have ever come our way, would people accept a VC release?

Because let's be honest here, things will change. I doubt it's going to be the Tomato patch everyone is very nostalgic for. And while I'm sure it's not going to be bowdlerized (hopefully), I'm also sure people would want nothing short of perfect. ...Or said fan patch we've all grown to. And if it ain't that, people are going to raise hell (that or hack their Wii Us I guess).

Sure, it could just be me, but I feel like localizing Mother 3 will be nothing short of walking on eggshells. If only because of the standards people are going to place on it.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
So I've finally gotten through Earthbound and I gotta say it was a lot of fun. And while I'm all for Mother 3 being released here, I can't help but wonder whether everyone else will be on the same boat.

Now sure there have always been the jokes of: "They changed a line of dialogue, I hate you Nintendo!" Especially to the likes of Fire Emblem nowadays. But unlike newer FE games Mother 3 is a game that has never touched our shores. And at best we have Tomato's fan patch. Couple that with the fact that it's often considered one of if not the greatest game to have ever come our way, would people accept a VC release?

Because let's be honest here, things will change. I doubt it's going to be the Tomato patch everyone is very nostalgic for. And while I'm sure it's not going to be bowdlerized (hopefully), I'm also sure people would want nothing short of perfect. ...Or said fan patch we've all grown to. And if it ain't that, people are going to raise hell (that or hack their Wii Us I guess).

Sure, it could just be me, but I feel like localizing Mother 3 will be nothing short of walking on eggshells. If only because of the standards people are going to place on it.
Only on the internet will people raise hell, everyone will be satisfied provided it's a decent localization.

Online, people were raising hell about Fire Emblem Fates and how the localization will ruin the game and people threatened to not buy it. FE Fates is now the best-selling FE game in the West, and it's all because most people are satisfied with the product. and the only people raising hell about it is the online vocal minority.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Ironically I have no problem with the changes but I still haven't bought it. Or any other game I've wanted recently

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."

I'd say walking on glass would be more appropriate, especially since we are talking about Mother 3 on VC :v

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
Well, references to previous Zelda games like "It's a secret to everybody" would be nice.
Mountain Dew as a new potion, not so much.

Nintendo should embrace the memes and jokes that have spawned from their own games instead of resorting to the generic white girl memes.
What white girl makes Dewritos memes? In my experience it's nerds, making fun of nerds, making fun of nerds in a vicious cycle

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
What white girl makes Dewritos memes? In my experience it's nerds, making fun of nerds, making fun of nerds in a vicious cycle
Aren't those nerds misogynistic against rich white feminist girls though?

Edit: IDK what the joke was supposed to be. I need to get to bed

Last edited:

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
Aren't those nerds misogynistic against rich white feminist girls though?

Edit: IDK what the joke was supposed to be. I need to get to bed
What?
I was referring to Callie saying "Team Snowbae is so on fleek I can't even" last Splatfest and Nintendo EU's tweet from a week ago which said "These frogs, honestly"
Not gonna front, their white girl slang on fleek.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I still need to get to bed.

But before I do,

My goodra was sap sipper. I picked it while EVERYONE ELSE was using hydration.

Apparently everyone is using sap sipper now...Kinda funny. I was actually ahead of the trend.

Also, my friend's last pokemon was Mega Venusaur, and I purposely send out my Goodra and just trolled him

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Ms. Rogers is at it again

image.png

So, if legit (which isn't likely given Emily's track record), the two games known of are Zelda and Smash.

The other 2 are probably Splatoon, Star Fox or Mario Maker

Oasis Dealer

"Woah!"
NNID
DarkCloud2469
3DS FC
4639-9066-5866
Ms. Rogers is at it again

View attachment 103333

So, if legit (which isn't likely given Emily's track record), the two games known of are Zelda and Smash.

The other 2 are probably Splatoon, Star Fox or Mario Maker
Tbh, I was wondering if Nintendo would do this. They still seem to be supporting Smash 4 (Not content wise, but for the competitive aspect with sponsors), Splatoon, and Super Mario Maker. Combine that with releases like Zelda and Pokken Tournament, there's still going to be games people want to play.

I'm expecting any of the recent Wii U titles of this year plus Mario Maker, Smash 4, and Splatoon. I do hope there could be a unified Nintendo account however, so for people who already own these games can just transfer them to NX for free.

Last edited:

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
seeing as the Dark shadow of the NX is looming over us like a monolith i have to ask

do you guys think we will get a direct detailing the NX hardware before e3?

DoodleDuck97

Smash Hero
Living in a peacefull place on nowhere islands.
>Have a nice meal at a nice restaurant for my birthday
>Come home to visitors
>And then there's my cake

My gut reaction was a facepalm but it's actually really cool.

View attachment 103301
Hope you had an enjoyable birthday sonicbrawler. Today was my birthday as well, didn't do as much though, but I will probably pay my cousins a visit tomorrow. ^^
Happy late birthday to the two of you guys :p
And that's a pretty snazzy cake you got there SonicBrawler. Wish I got cakes like those :)

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I was considering starting a Metroid Prime Trilogy playthrough....then I remembered Super Metroid will be released for the N3DS soon...

But then again one is on a handheld and the other on a home console...but the trilogy will take a while to go through compared to Super so it makes sense to do Super first before going through the trilogy...but Super's not yet available...

Man, I'm so indecisive sometimes...

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Not sure if this is the place to be asking this, but rather than make a new topic about it (and since it's Nintendo-related), I figure this seems like the best option from what I can see.

For anyone who played Eternal Darkness for the Gamecube, how is it? I haven't played much in the way of horror games (I played Resident Evil 4 (and 5, if that still counts as horror) and the remake of Resident Evil 1 (which I hated due to the controls)), but the game's concept seems interesting, and the price that I've found it for seems reasonable. (more reasonable than the Mega Man X Collection and Skies of Arcadia Legends, which are the other Gamecube games that I'm looking for).

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
i still think if there gonna straight up port the games.They need to add content.Mario maker,Splatoon,Smash are games i'm probably not gonna pick up again if its just gonna be the exact same copy of the game i already brought with nothing new

D

Deleted member

There's so many damn rumors about the NX, but to be honest there's one thing that bothers me....

Almost every "reliable" rumor about an NX game is almost always a port of a Wii U game (or some other console).

A port of Smash 4, a port of the FFVII remake, a port of FFXV, a port of many Wii U games. As far as im concerned, the only rumor about a potential NX game that isn't a port of something is Beyond Good and Evil 2 (a game from series that i never cared about)

I mean, most of these are still just rumors that could very well be fake/outdated/bogus all along, but i still wanted to point this out.
Mostly because when i look foward to a new console, i look foward to new games, not tons of ports to Wii U games.
I mean im going to most likely pick up FFXV and FFVII Remake if that "FF games on NX" rumor ends up true, but as for the rest, im likely not going to bother unless said ports include something new that interest me.

But then again, just rumors.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom