• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Just saw this theory on how sun and moon will continue norse mythology and more:
http://imgur.com/a/oGL5c

IT was pretty good! It cut the details short but informative! It made a lot of sense to.

Thoughts?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I guess I'll just have to wait until the game releases then when people either change their opinion, brush their old ones under the carpet, or don't speak them for fear of being chastised. I know how this whole internet deal works. :p

Assuming the rumour is true ofc.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Just saw this theory on how sun and moon will continue norse mythology and more:
http://imgur.com/a/oGL5c

IT was pretty good! It cut the details short but informative! It made a lot of sense to.

Thoughts?
Interesting...

Isn't CoroCoro this week? I'm praying we get actually content this time without giving us any middle fingers of "teasing".

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
It actually does. Especially in the old testament and Quran.

However, flat earthers apparently have a society of their own.
Ah, no.

"It is he that sitteth above the circle of the earth, and the inhabitants thereof are as grasshoppers; that stretcheth out the heavens as a curtain, and spreadeth them out as a tent to dwell in;"

-Isaiah 40:22

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Apparently this rumour came from a source who has a bit of a history of getting a lot wrong according to some commenters about it. So it's probably for the best to just take it with a grain of salt (as usual when it comes to rumours.).

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Interesting...

Isn't CoroCoro this week? I'm praying we get actually content this time without giving us any middle fingers of "teasing".
Yes, it should leak by Wednesday. I think we will get at least the legends, maybe starters.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Apparently this rumour came from a source who has a bit of a history of getting a lot wrong according to some commenters about it. So it's probably for the best to just take it with a grain of salt (like usual when it comes to text leaks....).
I always take rumors with salt. I never take them as fact (as rumors are not facts to begin with).

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
When was the last time a text leak was true anyway?

:laugh:

Thinking about it though, voice acted Zelda would be really fun.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...

Closest thing I can think of was the Ninka/Vaanrose leak which I think.... started off as a text leak? Not sure since I didn't follow the Rumours and Leaks group as much at the time.

But yeah, they generally more or less need to be taken with a bucket of salt so I suppose my statement more or less went without saying.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

Emily Rogers, the same person who posted these leaks, leaked Paper Mario not too long ago.

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
Yes, but much in the same way that Doctor Who exists. There is no one Doctor, as there is no one Link. If five people are asked to picture Link, they might come back with five different interpretations. Where the Doctor "regenerates", Link is "reincarnated". There is a fluidity to the character where the entity takes shape in many ways, none of which preclude the possibility of a female.
Link's appearance has never changed that drastically between games. I can look at all the different variations and see that it's meant to be the same character. While Doctor Who's appearance changes quite a bit between iterations, with Link you can basically narrow it down to a shift in art style between games and age of the character. I can tell when looking at Robin and Corrin that they're meant to be different characters, but when I look at Link and Toon Link I can tell that they're the same character with a different art style and are meant to reflect the same character. I don't see how Doctor Who can really relate especially since he's meant to take on a different appearance through regeneration, and as far as I'm aware he's never regenerated into a female anyway. Why would you even use him as an example for this topic?

Yes that is a conscious choice made, but the games aren't built around gender to the extent the experiences changes. If there wasn't an option it would still be very much the same game. All it really effects is the aesthetic (and a very small part of the marriage system in FE).
So what would be the point of doing this to an established, iconic character of over 30 years?

In some titles he has gained more personality, but typically that personality, past courage and a sense of adventure, is inconsistent.
Just because his personality shifts between games doesn't mean his gender should be inconsistent as well. Growing up in a different environment can be accounted for his change in character between games, but something like that won't change what his established gender is.

Even if true, those aren't exactly high standards.

Plus, if you're saying Link has become more and more personified, you're implying his characteristics have increased over time. His gender hasn't. He's as much a male now as he was in 1986. And the personality doesn't have to change if he's made a female... it probably wouldn't.
What I'm implying is that Link is has since become an established and beloved character and isn't just an avatar anymore. He shouldn't become a sim character at this point in time. Like you said, he's as much a male now as he was in 1986, and it should stay that way. There's no reason to change that now.

Really? Does getting a pair of boobs really clash with the lore of being reborn to claim one third of the triforce in times where Hyrule is threatened? How exactly would the lore change if he were female? It's a surface change, it's a change of aesthetics.
The reason it matters is simply because it's inconsistent with what the franchise has already established in over 30 years of existing. Why haven't there been other female Links up to this point?

But Mario and Samus are a single individual. The same Mario that's in one Mario game is going to be in every Mario game. Same with Samus. If it were a different Samus in every Metroid game with a different design but the same base role I'd say sure, make one male, why not? But it's not.

"Link" is an entity that is reincarnated into multiple characters who are all named Link. If it was one single Link in every Zelda game, then yeah, it would legitimately be changing the character, but one Link isn't necessarily the same as the other. So what if one's a girl? The character is staying the same, the proportions would just change a bit, which happens ALL THE TIME with Link. It's just an extension of the character, it's not an overhaul.
If a gender option was a thing since the original Zelda game, then I would agree. Problem is that's not the case and whether or not Link is reincarnated in almost every Zelda game, he's always been portrayed as a male entity. To many people who are casual fans of the Zelda franchise I'm sure they still view him as an individual character as much as Mario or Samus despite the lore. Why go ahead and change that now? Sure, on a technical level not every Link is the same individual, but that's not an excuse to all of a sudden give the ability to change the gender of what is already seen as an established character by many people.

Yeah, it would get tedious if one had to sit and listen and not be able to do anything during the times of dialogue, but that already sort of exists in Zelda anyway through text. Games that make proficient use of VA don't let it hamper the experience or let it become heavy-handed, they include dialogue during times of gameplay, such as traversal (of which there would be plenty in an open-world Zelda) or through cutscenes. There are many ways to screw up VA, but there are also many examples of VA done right.

It doesn't necessarily have to be the kind that sits you down and doesn't let you skip or escape from the ramblings of plot exposition.
The difference between text boxes and voice clips is that I can manipulate and speed up the text boxes if I desire. When you put voice clips into the mix that creates a period of time that the cutscene goes on for, and with how cutscenes in Zelda games are currently handled it would probably take a while to get through them with the addition of voice clips. You may see the omission of voice acting as archaic, but I see it as a blessing in disguise when it comes to this franchise in particular.

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
I guess I'll give my opinions on the Link Gender Swap thing.

I don't want the character Link to be gender-swappable. Link is an icon. You recognize Link. Making him Avatar-y just changes his image far too much. Link is almost as much an avatar as Mario really... does Mario suddenly need to be gender-swappable?

But I do want to be able to choose a female protagonist. Which is why I think a character like Linkle would be an awesome addition.

My idea is this: Have the classic Link character have a twin... I'll call her "Linkle" for the sake of discussion. You pick which character you want to play as on your adventure. And the one you didn't choose plays a minor role in the game's storyline. Pretty much exactly what happened in Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire.

The spirit of the hero or whatever can totally be a girl. Whatever. My issue is with Link suddenly being able to be a female. When he is clearly defined as a character himself at this point, no matter what timeline or generation the Link comes from.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I'll be honest, I never understood flat earthers. Are we seriously going to ignore centuries of scientific fact claiming that yes the Earth is round? Why?

Are we also going to go back to the Earth being in the center of universe as well?

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Perhaps something like bringing Link's sister, Aryll, back into the picture and making her into another optional playable characters that can adventure alongside Link might work out for both sides? I think that can please both sides that either want a female option to play as and those that don't want Link to be gender swapped after his 30 year lifetime as a character.

Either that, or make Zelda playable again I guess....

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Ah, no.

"It is he that sitteth above the circle of the earth, and the inhabitants thereof are as grasshoppers; that stretcheth out the heavens as a curtain, and spreadeth them out as a tent to dwell in;"

-Isaiah 40:22
Accept, it's not talking about the part talking about "earth". When it says the circle of earth, it's talking about what's referred to as the dome of earth.

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
Are all flat earth people religious? And tie in religion to why they believe in the flat earth?

Because religion to my knowledge doesn't preach the earth is flat
Whoa... I've been reading through the Flat Earth Society forums all morning, coincidence!

And after reading, I'd say no, they're not all religious.

There is one sect of very religious FE'rs that take the Bible very literally when it talks about the "Firmament" and "The four corners of the earth" and thinks that a round earth negates these parts of the Bible. But I think that's only a small part of them. But a big problem is that it's hard to tell which people are actual Flat Earthers or just trolls pretending to be...

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Perhaps something like bringing Link's sister, Aryll, back into the picture and making her into another optional playable characters that can adventure alongside Link might work out for both sides? I think that can please both sides that either want a female option to play as and those that don't want Link to be gender swapped after his 30 year lifetime as a character.

Either that, or make Zelda playable again I guess....
Don't forget there are more than 1 Link in the timeline (there are 11 in the core games as of Tri Force Heroes) so Ayrll would only really matter if Wii U Link is the same as the Link from The Wind Waker.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Accept, it's not talking about the part talking about "earth". When it says the circle of earth, it's talking about what's referred to as the dome of earth.
The Hebrew word used for "circle" is (חוג—chuwg), which can also mean "sphere".

Verses in Job even suggest an Earth "hanging on nothing".

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Don't forget there are more than 1 Link in the timeline (there are 11 in the core games as of Tri Force Heroes) so Ayrll would only really matter if Wii U Link is the same as the Link from The Wind Waker.
I believe I recall Anouma stating in a recent interview that if Link where to have a sister again, that she would have to be known as Aryll again. It's kind of like how Link's horse is always known as Epona even in Twilight Princess.

I'll try and see if I can dig it up again.

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
The summary of my feelings about the Zelda rumors.

WiiU/NX? It's almost a damn given at this point.

Voice Acting? I feel like "quips" and heys whenever speaking to npcs with the hylian tongue works best. We saw pretty much this in SS and I hold at that.

"Female Link"? Don't. Don't. Don't just have a gender option of Link. It's lazy, dumb, and a fair bit shallow with how much Zelda honestly has built up its lore over the past 30 years. Linkle in HW fit the "niche" like a bloody T. Similar design to a R63 Link but enough that keeps her unique, under /theory/ of being another incarnation of the Goddess's Hero, that goes through a parallel adventure with her own agenda.

Honestly, I'd love to see "Linkle's Tale" as the NG+ reward replace Hero Mode. Something Master Quest-like. Where you're given different items to begin, have to go through the dungeons in a different order, uncover a deeper part of the story that was hinted at in the main game.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
I believe Anouma stated in a recent interview that if Link where to have a sister again, that she would have to be Aryll again. It's kind of like how Link's horse is always Epona even in Twilight Princess.

I'll try and see if I can dig it up again.
Ah.

But you get what I'm saying, right? Example: Ayrll is not the niece of the ALttP uncle.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
>Have a nice meal at a nice restaurant for my birthday
>Come home to visitors
>And then there's my cake

My gut reaction was a facepalm but it's actually really cool.

IMAG0347.jpg

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
>Have a nice meal at a nice restaurant for my birthday
>Come home to visitors
>And then there's my cake

My gut reaction was a facepalm but it's actually really cool.

View attachment 103301
Hope you had an enjoyable birthday sonicbrawler. Today was my birthday as well, didn't do as much though, but I will probably pay my cousins a visit tomorrow. ^^

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
I wouldn't mind a female Link, but I never felt as if the player was supposed to be you, unlike in Pokemon. I always felt like Link was his own character, like Mario is, so I've never felt a need for the option.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
This replay hut has to be my favorite so far! The plays make me really wish there was just a section in the competitive scene that didn't care about the no items rule and allowed it. And no not casuals.

This was without a doubt the best part

:p

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
You know some of those are metaphors right?

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Plus Emily Rogers usually has her finger on the pulse, and others who hold some degree of credibility corroborating her story only helps. I believe this one.
Emily Rogers has gotten a lot of things wrong in the past. Look at her Wii U launch rumors. But other people saying they heard it does help (as long as they all have different sources).

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
This replay hut has to be my favorite so far! The plays make me really wish there was just a section in the competitive scene that didn't care about the no items rule and allowed it. And no not casuals.

This was without a doubt the best part

:p
One of my new favorite modes is to play with only the Clocks. It's like everyone has Bayonetta's power! haha. It's seriously fun though :)

D

Deleted member

You know some of those are metaphors right?
Yes, I'm aware.(Though that really just depends on what you make of it.) But I'm wondering what metaphor "The earth is flat" is other than the other is lifeless and dull. Which is not really a good metaphor for the earth, because, well....

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
Are peole really that upset about a female link?Like really hasn't it been stated multiple times that link is the literal "Link" between the player a the game. I see no problem with having a female link(especially since they can just reuse the popular linkle character) Seeing as he's a mute character anyway,it shouldn't matter.I thought people would be upset at zelda having voice acting than that

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Yes, I'm aware.(Though that really just depends on what you make of it.) But I'm wondering what metaphor "The earth is flat" is other than the other is lifeless and dull. Which is not really a good metaphor for the earth, because, well....
I need to see the verses to be sure.

Can you link them to me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom