• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Jojo DIU Opening. Solid stuff, fits the new artstyle
Edit:
****ING HELL THAT PLEB WITH THE GIRLY HAIR USED ZA WARUDO DIDN'T HR?
Ladies and gentlemen, we interrupt the current topic to bring you something that with no doubt is more important than whatever you're currently doing
JJBA Diamond is not Crash's opening
That is all
It looks like David Productions is taking cues from Battle Tendency's opening

I can't wait to see the End of the World equivalent with Kira

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
my answer to whitney was my croconaw....because water starters are great

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
I see a discussion about hardest gym leaders brewing about.

The hard ones that I remember off the top of my head were Clair in G/S/HG/SS and Lenora in B/W. Clair for her Kingdra, while Lenora had that pesky Watchog with Retaliate and Hypnosis.

I remember Norman was a very challenging gym leader for me when I first played Ruby, but that's because I was quite young at the time and didn't really think through how to handle his two Slakings and then that one Vigorish. I've had an easier time with him in OR/AS now that I'm more aware about how to approach his Slakings.

D

Deleted member

I just watched that "Is FE becoming too mainstream" video and it's the stupidest thibg I have seen in months
It basically resumes to "It's popular now, so it sucks"
Nintendo has never outright cut entire levels in any of their games, why would they do that with FE?
And yeah, people hate having options for whatever reason
Jojo DIU Opening. Solid stuff, fits the new artstyle
Edit:
****ING HELL THAT PLEB WITH THE GIRLY HAIR USED ZA WARUDO DIDN'T HR?
What I did was not the work of a stand, but something called :4greninja:
Also, you don't need to praise my hair like that, I know it's great

Last edited by a moderator:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
So, in Bravely second BP is not restored after battle?

So...I can't just spam Brave and attack enemies anymore?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I just watched that "Is FE becoming too mainstream" video and it's the stupidest thibg I have seen in months
Nintendo has never outright cut entire levels in any of their games, why would they do that with FE?
And yeah, people hate having options for whatever reason

What I did was not the work of a stand, but something called :4greninja:
Also, you don't need to praise my hair like that, I know it's great
Your hair is like cow **** on the road
It looks like David Productions is taking cues from Battle Tendency's opening

I can't wait to see the End of the World equivalent with Kira
That reminds me, manga readers may have noticed the REAL hero of DIU made a cameo in the first episode! Here's a hint. Splat

So, in Bravely second BP is not restored after battle?

So...I can't just spam Brave and attack enemies anymore?
Only if you do continuous battles from wining a fight in one turn.

If you win in less than one turn or choose not to keep fighting BP returns to 0

If there are "enemies lurking in the distance" that challenge you OR you challenge more enemies after winning in one turn your BP wont reset. You don't even regain 1BP for a turn ending.

They have been wording that statement pretty terrible unfortunately and I only know this because I played the special demo chapter.

D

Deleted member

Your hair is like cow **** on the road
Oh my, stop, otheriwse I'll have to treat you to a dinner
That reminds me, manga readers may have noticed the REAL hero of DIU made a cameo in the first episode! Here's a hint. Splat
Was it the turtle? I dunno why but people keep putting Polnareff's face on that turtle so I think there is a connection

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
There was a problem fetching the tweet
Welp. There's nothing else to say except one thing...
*says this to rumor* WHAT ARE YOU DOING IN MY SWAMP.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Ladies and gentlemen, we interrupt the current topic to bring you something that with no doubt is more important than whatever you're currently doing
JJBA Diamond is not Crash's opening
That is all
Finally i can do something important with my life every single Fiday night once again.

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
So... the rumor was apparently going around behind the scenes for a while now.
Which means Emily Rogers wasn't the only one who knew about it. She's just reporting on it.

Last edited:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Meh, who cares about rumors where there's Jojo to be seen?
I for one can't wait 'till they get to Kira. That'll be a lot of fun to watch.

So... the rumor was apparently going around behind the scenes for a while now.
Which means Emily Rogers wasn't the only one who knew about it. She's just reporting on it.
Exactly like the Paper Mario leak lol.

Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Meh, who cares about rumors where there's Jojo to be seen?
I for one can't wait 'till they get to Kira. That'll be a lot of fun to watch.
I can't wait to see Red Hot Chili Pepper being animated

D

Deleted member

All this discussion on who are the hardest gym leaders in Pokémon games without mentioning THE big ones :

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
ZERUDA:
I have no qualms with the Zelda info. It all sounds pretty nice to me. The option to choose your gender is smart, sort of a best-of-both-worlds deal. With some other characters it wouldn't work from a character standpoint, but Link is an exception. Not simply because the character is, in no irregular terms, a rather hollow shell all things considered.

And now we'll have a female Link who doesn't come with an extraordinarily dumb name. :p

Tbh though I'm more interest in seeing just how "open-world" this Zelda will be.

POKEYMANS:
Literally the only gym leader I remember having difficulty with and losing against was Whitney and her gd Miltank. Tate & Liza were also annoying as I went up against two Psychic Rocks with only my Fire Fighting chicken. Didn't bother training a second Pokemon lol.

I wouldn't be adverse to the series getting more difficult. But I don't see that happening and I understand why.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
I do feel Zelda having voice acting is overdue, especially that this is the 19th installment.

Sure, the voice acting in the CD-i titles and animated series were absolutely atrocious, but it could be the chance to finally fix this wrong (where Nintendo is in charge of the script and actors rather than letting someone else do it freely).

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
ZERUDA:
I have no qualms with the Zelda info. It all sounds pretty nice to me. The option to choose your gender is smart, sort of a best-of-both-worlds deal. With some other characters it wouldn't work from a character standpoint, but Link is an exception. Not simply because the character is, in no irregular terms, a rather hollow shell all things considered.

And now we'll have a female Link who doesn't come with an extraordinarily dumb name. :p

Tbh though I'm more interest in seeing just how "open-world" this Zelda will be.

POKEYMANS:
Literally the only gym leader I remember having difficulty with and losing against was Whitney and her gd Miltank. Tate & Liza were also annoying as I went up against two Psychic Rocks with only my Fire Fighting chicken. Didn't bother training a second Pokemon lol.

I wouldn't be adverse to the series getting more difficult. But I don't see that happening and I understand why.
I didn't remember having any trouble with Whitney, even though everyone always mentions how difficult she was

However, I played the game again recently and did have a bit of trouble with her

---

In the original red/ blue the only pokemon I trained was Blastoise and I didn't really have any problem with that until the Elite 4. By that point I gathered together whatever pokemon happened to be the highest levels I had, which included farfetch'd due to EXP Share...and actually still just barely won

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Except that's not at all what it's saying...?

Like, I get it. You disagree. But to degrade others opinions with strawman arguments isn't the answer.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I have a feeling this leak is fake.

One of those, too good to be true ones.

D

Deleted member

All this discussion on who are the hardest gym leaders in Pokémon games without mentioning THE big ones :

*spams Scald*
So much for that...
There's literally no excuse to find Clay hard when you have an area just before him with only a Pokemon that has a type immunity and advantage to his entire team
Except that's not at all what it's saying...?

Like, I get it. You disagree. But to degrade others opinions with strawman arguments isn't the answer.
Except it is basically that though
"Oh, they're making it more accessible and that's bad"

kylexv

Smash Master

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
My dog may have to be put down soon

She has a back problem, and surgery costs $7000

She's going to a neurologists soon, and if there is nothing they can do - We're just going to keep the dog around until she's unable to stand/ walk anymore and put her down

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Except it is basically that though
"Oh, they're making it more accessible and that's bad"
Nope, it's a strawman.
Did you miss the part where he said he really enjoyed Fates? You can like something and still criticize it. And yes, it's a fair criticism. The guy never said the series was ruined because of it. That's something that you claimed he said. It's a strawman.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I have a feeling this leak is fake.

One of those, too good to be true ones.
It doesn't seem that farfetched to me. The NX cross release makes a lot of sense and has precedent. The choice between male/female protagonists is something Nintendo is doing more and more of, and doesn't conflict with the character of Link. VA is the only really novel thing here, but as it's the supporting cast and not Link... it still seems believable. FE, KI, SF, and Metroid have all experienced an increase in VA as of late, and Zelda does fit with those more than let's say Mario, DK, Kirby or AC.

Plus Emily Rogers usually has her finger on the pulse, and others who hold some degree of credibility corroborating her story only helps. I believe this one.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885

Strawmen are the easiest enemies to defeat in debate

D

Deleted member

Nope, it's a strawman.
Did you miss the part where he said he really enjoyed Fates? You can like something and still criticize it. And yes, it's a fair criticism. The guy never said the series was ruined because of it. That's something that you claimed he said. It's a strawman.
He said that it's a "scary" direction the series is taken, this clearly shows he doesn't like it
There's a difference between actually criticing the game(like the complaints about the kids) and complaining they're making the game more accessible by adding OPTIONS

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I'm ok with the choice between being male or female Link, but only 'ok' with it...I'd much rather we get a playable Zelda over a female Link...

Of course being the choice between Link and Zelda in the same game obviously deals with certain issues regarding certain story elements since they have different destined roles...although it could be possible certain events can differ depending on who you chose, but that's just making things complicated...

Another possibility is if she has a more active role in the story and we the player can switch characters at certain points via Kafei in MM, or Zelda in ST...

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I didn't really see the point of having male/ female link. But I also don't really care

I'd actually probably pick female Link

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
He said that it's a "scary" direction the series is taken, this clearly shows he doesn't like it
There's a difference between actually criticing the game(like the complaints about the kids) and complaining they're making the game more accessible by adding OPTIONS
Except, like you said, there's a difference between criticizing and complaining. He was doing the former, not the latter, when discussing Phoenix Mode. And guess what? That's okay.

And so what if he's worried about the direction? There's nothing wrong with being worried. It's a sign he cares, for one. But once again, there's a difference between wondering whether a direction being taken is a good one, and aimlessly shouting "ruined forever," which you're implying he did.

D

Deleted member

Hardest Pokemon game was HGSS imo, but that's because they really didn't care to balance anything
Johto's infamous level curve and wild Pokemon are too weak to grind effectivelly
And both Sinnoh and Johto had gym leaders that were designed to **** you up
Especially in Johto
Johto had an underleveled Pidgeotto with Roost, a Scyther with U-Turn, Miltank and Clefairy as a whole, an entire team with STAB Shadow Ball too early on the game and priority moves, Double Team/Hypnosis+Focus Punch combos, the tank that is Steelix and Clair's(Clair, not Claire, please don't trigger me) entire team: a Gyarados with Dragon Rage, two Dragonair that you can't tell apart each with Thunder Wave and Thunderbolt/Fire Blast and her ****ing Kingdra with Smokescreen, Dragon Pulse and Hydro Pump, I think it even had Sniper(boosts damage done by critical hits by ×3.0 instead of the usual ×2.0)
Pryce was easy though

Also, can I just say how Metronome is the scariest move in existence? It entirely relies on luck so you can't prepare for it, and if it rolls a powerful move(like, say, ****ING SACRED FIRE), you're screwed
There's a reason why Whitney's Clefairy is considered more dangerous than her Miltank, because you can actually prepare for it
General strategy being, kill it before it kills you
But it's not like that thing goes down easily
It's funny you say that, because that's the first game I beat 100%. :p Sure, I was one of those kids that'd use blast burn and not care for the effects and downsides of moves not knowing what they do. But I got through everything somehow, with the power of over leveling. :p Not sure why, but I've always had the patience of leveling up things and as fast as possible too. My totodile was a feraligatr by the time I got to Whitney. LMFAO.

D

Deleted member

It's amazing how many videos are there of Luigi winning by doing absolutely nothing:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I didn't really see the point of having male/ female link. But I also don't really care

More options leads to attracting more consumers. And in this case it wouldn't just be girls, as lots of people have been clamouring for a female Link. Same reason almost every game (or at least a great deal of them) that don't already have an established protagonist go for the customizable gender route nowadays.

Personally I'd just pick the Link whose design I liked better, as I do with the Pokemon trainers, but I know some girls who do hold off playing games unless the protagonist is female. Not as any form of social commentary, they just prefer those games. I don't agree with them, but I know they do exist.

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I don't think I'd completely mind a Female Link, it's not really necessary now that we have Linkle.

The biggest argument for a Female Link that I hear is that "Link is Reincarnated" theory, which is completely false.

If the "Spirit of the Hero" was literally reincarnated, there wouldn't have been a dead OoT/MM Link in Twilight Princess.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304

Technically there isn't really a point other than 'muh females'...however Aonuma has mentioned how Zelda Wii U gives the player more control over the game and giving you customization options, which includes choosing genders, is a decent way to go about it...

There's also the fact that a female Link has been demanded for quite a while, which resulted in the creation of Linkle in Hyrule Warriors...

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
More options leads to attracting more consumers. And in this case it wouldn't just be girls, as lots of people have been clamouring for a female Link. Same reason almost every game (or at least a great deal of them) that don't already have an established protagonist go for the customizable gender route nowadays.

Personally I'd just pick the Link whose design I liked better, as I do with the Pokemon trainers, but I know some girls who do hold off playing games unless the protagonist is female. Not as any form of social commentary, they just prefer those games. I don't agree with them, but I know they do exist.
It's more I viewed link as a character. I wouldn't necessarily care for a female Spiderman or Superman

Or Thor.

But, I guess those exist anyway, so...

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Sure, the voice acting in the CD-i titles and animated series were absolutely atrocious, but it could be the chance to finally fix this wrong (where Nintendo is in charge of the script and actors rather than letting someone else do it freely).
Apparently the Zelda CDi cutscenes were done in Russia with no guidance from Nintendo or Philips.

I'd like to see something like Valkyria Chronicles in terms of cutscenes and voice acting.

:231:

D

Deleted member

Female Link would just attract more criticism than anything... again
Linkle is basically Fem Link
I'd prefer having Linkle instead of a fem Link so she could have some gameplay differences, like using her crossbows instead of the usual bow and arrows
I don't think I'd completely mind a Female Link, it's not really necessary now that we have Linkle.

The biggest argument for a Female Link that I hear is that "Link is Reincarnated" theory, which is completely false.

If the "Spirit of the Hero" was literally reincarnated, there wouldn't have been a dead OoT/MM Link in Twilight Princess.
Some Links are, others are not
TP Link is clearly stated to be the Hero of Time's descendent
WW Link, however, is stated to be anything but
The "Spirit of the Hero" is the spirit of the very first "Link" the one before Skyward Sword
The only ones that carry his spirit are the SS, OoT, TP and maybe ALttP(I'm notbsure on this one tbh) Links

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom