• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
SoJ and SoA were sort of worst because they actively sabotage each other.
Well they don't still sabotage each other, they've kissed and made up now.

You could notice it for a while, but the fact that Takashi Iizuka recently moved to the SoA office, speaks volumes.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Well they don't still sabotage each other, they've kissed and made up now.

You could notice it for a while, but the fact that Takashi Iizuka recently moved to the SoA office, speaks volumes.
Yeah. Especially considering SoJ and Sonic Team get most tips and information from here

wedl!!

Goddess of Storms
NNID
Plushies4Ever
Yo

who here is going to PAX East on the Friday

if you see a scruffy, chunky, tall person w/ long hair and thin-rimmed glasses who looks way too masculine for her own good there's a chance it might be me

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
Yo

who here is going to PAX East on the Friday

if you see a scruffy, chunky, tall person who looks way too masculine for her own good there's a chance it might be me
Yo keep selling yourself like that and there's no chance you're leaving that place single.

But realtalk I've got no finances to attend any conventions and I've got next to no reason to.

In terms of recent topics.

Fates has had some more significant localization changes. Some worse than we've seen in previous titles but none of them are truly unheard of. In fact, some of the ones that caused the most flack were the ones that were the most "unsettling" like the face petting and the Soleil-Corrin potion conversation.

From what I've seen, the official localization of the script is still stronger than the fanslation for one reason if nothing else: It adjusts. A lot of the fanslation is very strictly translated and thus comes off roughly if not incoherent at times (barring even the "meme" arguement).

And in that I feel is the real difference between a game getting TRANSLATED and LOCALIZED.

Deeprealms were a cheap and dumb way to shoehorn in child units. It's the biggest fault in Fates' writing imo besides the death of one unit that's shared in Birthright and Conquest. It could be a very bad sign if they keep forcing it for the sake of child units in games to come but I have confidence IS can pull back from it.

The hardest Pokemon game, to me, was Black White 1. Because N was the most challenging rival and JESUS Ghetis is the most challenging "final boss" Pokemon has had yet. Hoenn probably would hit second because Steven's team does carry two INCREDIBLY potent pokemon in the forms of Skarmory and Metagross.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
GSC had one at the 7-8th gym where the 7th Gym was easy but the 8th Gym destroyed you because you didn't have anything to counter Kingdra which in Emerald, you did because you could easily get Flygon and Altiair which learned Dragon moves once they evolve.

GSC never gave you a dragon type to fight back with due to limited options and your only hope was Gyarados but he doesn't learn Dragon moves on its own until later gens
Juan's Kingdra was a pain because it had Double Team, Flygon and Altaria can't do crap if they can't even hit it...and both of them are extremely vulnerable to Ice Beam which his Kingdra has...
also it was possible to get a Dratini from the Game Corner in Goldenrod, Dratini are also a rare find on Route 45 with the Good rod...grabbing one from the Game corner is a better option obviously so you don't have to grind to get it's levels up as much...Gyarados (as well as Seadra) can learn Twister though it is a pretty crappy move...

Claire is still a problematic Gym Leader simply because Dragon type moves are less accessable, but the options are still there regardless...

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Diamond version was the hard one for me.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Yo keep selling yourself like that and there's no chance you're leaving that place single.

But realtalk I've got no finances to attend any conventions and I've got next to no reason to.

In terms of recent topics.

Fates has had some more significant localization changes. Some worse than we've seen in previous titles but none of them are truly unheard of. In fact, some of the ones that caused the most flack were the ones that were the most "unsettling" like the face petting and the Soleil-Corrin potion conversation.

From what I've seen, the official localization of the script is still stronger than the fanslation for one reason if nothing else: It adjusts. A lot of the fanslation is very strictly translated and thus comes off roughly if not incoherent at times (barring even the "meme" arguement).

And in that I feel is the real difference between a game getting TRANSLATED and LOCALIZED.

Deeprealms were a cheap and dumb way to shoehorn in child units. It's the biggest fault in Fates' writing imo besides the death of one unit that's shared in Birthright and Conquest. It could be a very bad sign if they keep forcing it for the sake of child units in games to come but I have confidence IS can pull back from it.

The hardest Pokemon game, to me, was Black White 1. Because N was the most challenging rival and JESUS Ghetis is the most challenging "final boss" Pokemon has had yet. Hoenn probably would hit second because Steven's team does carry two INCREDIBLY potent pokemon in the forms of Skarmory and Metagross.
I don't think whether or not the official localisation is better than the fan translation is relevant at all to the point the video brought up. In fact, the video never questioned the actual quality of the localisation.

It was more concerned with what exactly was censored and toned down, and taken with everything else like Phoenix Mode, having multiple versions catered to different crowds, and the deep realm stuff, I think the guy does have a point in saying Fire Emblem's quick rise to becoming a mainstream, AAA Nintendo title, has resulted in the series trying to cater too much to different audiences, such as maybe a younger audience being the main example.

And his worries are not unfounded because both Nintendo and IS have a track record of doing this. Paper Mario is a perfect example.

It's too early to tell if this will really pan out, but the fact it has sort of started with Fates, is worrying.

Last edited:

wedl!!

Goddess of Storms
NNID
Plushies4Ever
the way I wrote it I was trying to convey that I looked like 90% of guys that would probably be at the convention but it could be an opportunity to meet some nerdy lesbians which is cool

if only it weren't a trip for school

I'm hoping for 4/PM/SF setups to be there. I want to play some of those Video Games

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Thinking about it, the hardest gym leaders I remember are Juan (that Kingdra and its rest) in Emerald and Lenora (that Watchog and its Retaliate) in BW.

Most gym leaders will give you trouble if you go unprepared, but there is usually a trick nearby (like Sableye for Brawly)

:231:

Burruni

Smash Hero
Not to mention the Fire type elite four member with only 2 fire types

. . .and a Lopunny, steelix, and Drifblim
Yeah, things I mentioned in my list of "things wrong in Sinnoh" two days ago.
Because until platinum he had the ONLY two Fire types, excluding prevos, available in the entire region.

Thinking about it, the hardest gym leaders I remember are Juan (that Kingdra and its rest) in Emerald and Lenora (that Watchog and its Retaliate) in BW.

Most gym leaders will give you trouble if you go unprepared, but there is usually a trick nearby (like Sableye for Brawly)

:231:
Holy gods I forgot about Lenora WITH A WATCHOG WHO HAD RETALIATE AND HYPNOSIS.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Byron was hard too,

Those walls.

Soul.

Difficulty in the games is overleveling the Pokémon themselves honestly lol. Hard Mode in BW2 was exactly that. Even if the AI was smarter, it was still dumb.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Gen 4 was my second favorite out of all the generations, behind Gen 3. Sure, Gen 4 had its problems, like barely any Fire types, but it was still very fun.

As far as difficult gym leaders go, Drayden, Whitney, Lenora, Byron, and Burgh were the only ones that I can remember having strong difficulties with. Drayden had a tough team all around. By the time I fought Whitney, all I had was a Bayleef and a Zubat, so getting around a Miltank with rollout wasn't that easy. Lenora's Watchog with Hypnosis and Retaliate was annoying, but wan't really that bad. Byron had a lot of strong wall that were hard to break through. The only reason why Burgh was tough was in B2W2 when I went with an all-Dark team, and only had a Liepard to my name.

The only difficlutly in Pokemon I can remember is N/Ghetsis and that ****ing Poliwrath from Johto's CHuck

HERE WE GO AGAIN

There was a problem fetching the tweet

People are speculating playable female link because of apparent hints i'm too busy to look for!
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1205834
I'm sure GAF will find them lol

Last edited:

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Guys...GUYS.

We have our first leak-rumor. It's a rumor, about a possible leak. It's from Emily Rogers, but some other people are popping up saying they heard stuff.

What a time to be alive.

Got:4greninja:'d,

Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Juan's Kingdra was a pain because it had Double Team, Flygon and Altaria can't do crap if they can't even hit it...and both of them are extremely vulnerable to Ice Beam which his Kingdra has...
also it was possible to get a Dratini from the Game Corner in Goldenrod, Dratini are also a rare find on Route 45 with the Good rod...grabbing one from the Game corner is a better option obviously so you don't have to grind to get it's levels up as much...Gyarados (as well as Seadra) can learn Twister though it is a pretty crappy move...

Claire is still a problematic Gym Leader simply because Dragon type moves are less accessable, but the options are still there regardless...
I see Claire as harder due to the limited options you have and no decent Dragon moves

To handle Juan doesn't require using the Game corner and Double Team is scary but as long as Altiair as Dragon Dance and Aerial Ace (a move that doesn't miss) the battle won't seem as bad.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
You could get Dratini before facing Claire, couldn't you? I forget. It was either before or right after the gym battle.

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
You could get Dratini before facing Claire, couldn't you? I forget. It was either before or right after the gym battle.
As I stated you can get one from the Game Corner and on Route 45 to the South they are a rare catch with a Good Rod...these are the only ways to get Dratini before battling Claire

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
The hardest gym battle was still Wattson in Emerald due to his Mantric, Chuck in HGSS, Fantina in Platinum and Elsa in White because of ****ing Volt Switch (which is a pretty awesome move)

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
As I stated you can get one from the Game Corner and on Route 45 to the South they are a rare catch with a Good Rod...these are the only ways to get Dratini before battling Claire
At least the Game Corner was easy to work with in Gen II regular. The remakes were a problem in that regard. D:

The hardest gym battle was still Wattson in Emerald due to his Mantric, Chuck in HGSS, Fantina in Platinum and Elsa in White because of ****ing Volt Switch (which is a pretty awesome move)
I swamped Elsa with a Ground type. Doesn't matter if it was Flying. There's moves besides Ground ones. XD

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
You know Nintendo has become the underground and weird community of the big three, when not only is your main source of news and discussion becoming leaks, but your leaks now have leaks.

Being a Nintendo fan hasn't been the hottest thing as of late.

D

Deleted member

Hardest Pokemon game was HGSS imo, but that's because they really didn't care to balance anything
Johto's infamous level curve and wild Pokemon are too weak to grind effectivelly
And both Sinnoh and Johto had gym leaders that were designed to **** you up
Especially in Johto
Johto had an underleveled Pidgeotto with Roost, a Scyther with U-Turn, Miltank and Clefairy as a whole, an entire team with STAB Shadow Ball too early on the game and priority moves, Double Team/Hypnosis+Focus Punch combos, the tank that is Steelix and Clair's(Clair, not Claire, please don't trigger me) entire team: a Gyarados with Dragon Rage, two Dragonair that you can't tell apart each with Thunder Wave and Thunderbolt/Fire Blast and her ****ing Kingdra with Smokescreen, Dragon Pulse and Hydro Pump, I think it even had Sniper(boosts damage done by critical hits by ×3.0 instead of the usual ×2.0)
Pryce was easy though

Also, can I just say how Metronome is the scariest move in existence? It entirely relies on luck so you can't prepare for it, and if it rolls a powerful move(like, say, ****ING SACRED FIRE), you're screwed
There's a reason why Whitney's Clefairy is considered more dangerous than her Miltank, because you can actually prepare for it
General strategy being, kill it before it kills you
But it's not like that thing goes down easily

DoodleDuck97

Smash Hero
Living in a peacefull place on nowhere islands.
The only difficlutly in Pokemon I can remember is N/Ghetsis and that ****ing Poliwrath from Johto's CHuck

HERE WE GO AGAIN

People are speculating playable female link because of apparent hints i'm too busy to look for!
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1205834
I'm sure GAF will find them lol
Guys...GUYS.

We have our first leak-rumor. It's a rumor, about a possible leak. It's from Emily Rogers, but some other people are popping up saying they heard stuff.

What a time to be alive.

Got:4greninja:'d,
So we've one from General Leaks & Rumours to General rumours about leaks.
We truly have come full circle haven't we not.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Also I consider Whitney as overrated as hell.

She isn't hard mostly due to that Nidorina with Double Kick can tear through her team like crazy

Morty was scary as hell because that dangerous Gengar and if he puts you to sleep, you're screwed.

D

Deleted member

Also I consider Whitney as overrated as hell.

She isn't hard mostly due to that Nidorina with Double Kick can tear through her team like crazy

Morty was scary as hell because that dangerous Gengar and if he puts you to sleep, you're screwed.
The problem is that Miltank is bulky as ****, has Rollout, which gets stronger each turn, Milk Drink and a Sitrus Berry for HP recovery, Stomp which deals a lot of damage with STAB and can flinch and the worst move of all: Attract, unless you have a bulky female Pokemon, the battle becomes the equivalent of a Berserker trying to hit a Swordmaster in FE
I remember having a female Geodude in my last SS Nuzlocke run, but I still had to pray the flinch from Stomp wouldn't activate and hope I wouldn't drop her HP too much to trigger the HP recovery items and move

Morty just uses sheer power with Shadow Ball
Your best bet for that fight is to have a Normal Pokemon with Bite and pray Hypnosis doesn't hit
Otherwise, you're gonna need something that can take hits and OHKO the ghosts, and you only have one Pokemon(besides Normal ones) that is obtainable at that point and it is Umbreon, who you're better off leaving as an Eevee for that battle

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Honestly, I'm getting sick and tired of hearing Nintendo rumors now.

They are flooding the internet too many too quickly and I don't see results/confirmation at all or it's so far in the future that I don't care.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
This is probably one of the most interesting and worthwhile, and actually relevant theory videos I have ever seen on a game.
I think I know what they're trying to say, but at the same time I don't. I'd love to go into this stuff farther, but I will say this:

Phoenix Mode is irksome because unlike Super Mode or Exp Share it doesn't have much, if any teaching value to it, as you get the same rewards as if you didn't use it. Granted games shouldn't be a chore, and lord knows permadeath can be at times, but I can't help to think IS could have done a much better job of making the game more approachable without removing core concepts based on how older FE games were handled.

I'd personally never be caught dead playing it, but I do think it is worth discussing rather than just dismissing it as "optional" as there are pros/cons for the series going forward. As far as I can tell, the current Phoenix Mode is only good for the short term health of the series. Newcomers are paying $40+ to either play a visual novel and or get their butts kicked, and eventually it's not going to be worth the time/$, so I'd much rather see the kicked butts be addressed as Phoenix Mode currently only allows newcomers to enjoy a small half of the overall FE experience.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Honestly, I'm getting sick and tired of hearing Nintendo rumors now.

They are flooding the internet too many too quickly and I don't see results/confirmation at all or it's so far in the future that I don't care.
I feel you. I'm a little worn out with all the leaks/rumors. I also feel bad because there's been so many for Nintendo. It shows how passionate the fanbase is.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
For the most part I stopped caring about leaks long ago.

I'm still interested enough to read them, but that's pretty much it. Then I just play a very mellow version of the waiting game and don't usually expect or hope for much.

I never had a problem with Whitney because when I fought her I just had slowpoke use curse 6 times against the clefairy that did 0 damage except that one time it got judgement.

Miltank can't do **** against a slowpoke with maxed attacks and defense using headbutt.

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Miltank was a problem because most people had Quilava which gets bodied by Rollout...and for first time players there wasn't much available that can hard counter Miltank...

My answer to her Miltank is usually Nidorino or Heracross...

D

Deleted member

Miltank was a problem because most people had Quilava which gets bodied by Rollout...and for first time players there wasn't much available that can hard counter Miltank...

My answer to her Miltank is usually Nidorino or Heracross...
The only problem here is that people picked Cyndaquil
The obvious pick is Totodile
The actual problen with Miltank is that starters have a 7:1 male ratio

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
This video perfectly sums up my feelings on Kingdom Hearts 2's gameplay and why it falls a bit short of being as good as the first game to me (which is still my favourite game in the series).

Basically, while the combat system in KH2 is incredibly deep and rewarding, and I have come to really discover that since my playthrough of Final Mix, and I hope KH3 is more similar to this game in terms of combat than anything else, the game really doesn't give you enough reasons to get better at the game, not even on Critical Mode in Final Mix. It also just sort of got rid of the platforming, puzzle, and exploration elements outside of the Cavern of Remembrance in Final Mix, meaning I feel the game has an identity crisis in terms of what it wants to be as a game, mechanics wise.

Essentially, KH2 has a lot going for it but most people aren't going to see that because you actually can just beat the game by grinding for levels and healing items if you want. Some people will actually prefer that and that's fine, but that's why the game has the "Mash X to win" stigma.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Ladies and gentlemen, we interrupt the current topic to bring you something that with no doubt is more important than whatever you're currently doing
JJBA Diamond is not Crash's opening
That is all

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom