• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
One of my new favorite modes is to play with only the Clocks. It's like everyone has Bayonetta's power! haha. It's seriously fun though :)
Timers really are fun. I like playing with items, because i's just fun to have crazy matches every once in awhile,without it being full competitive. I still like playing regular competitive though.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
My issue is that Linkle in Hyrule Warriors: Legends has a personality (maybe even more than Link). It would feel weird to see her have the same personality as Link. I guess they could combat that by having her design be different and instead she is reincarnated like Link.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Yes, I'm aware.(Though that really just depends on what you make of it.) But I'm wondering what metaphor "The earth is flat" is other than the other is lifeless and dull. Which is not really a good metaphor for the earth, because, well....
Behold, the Lord lays the earth waste, devastates it, distorts its surface and scatters its inhabitants.

?

Again, the devil taketh him unto an exceeding high mountain, and showeth him all the kingdoms of the world, and the glory of them;

???

Neither of these suggest a flat Earth. Both, however, by distorting the context and using subpar translations, can seem to say so.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
You know, as for the female Link thing. . .I actually wouldn't mind it. He's not a single consistent character in-continuity, so I don't see any in-universe reason why it would be THAT dumb.

Then again, I've barely even played any Zelda games, only playing a borrowed copy of Phantom Hourglass, part of a borrowed copy of Spirit Tracks, and the tutorial and up to the first boss of that copy of Four Swords they keep passing around on the 3DS every Zelda anniversary, so I can't really say I'm emotionally invested in it.

Last edited:

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
While we're talking about The Legend of Zelda, am I the only one who prefers to give the 1st Zelda game with the subtitle "The Hyrule Fantasy"?

My reason is the Japanese title of the game is "The Hyrule Fantasy: The Legend of Zelda".

Sure, my reasoning is pretty flawed but I don't care.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Hope you had an enjoyable birthday sonicbrawler. Today was my birthday as well, didn't do as much though, but I will probably pay my cousins a visit tomorrow. ^^
Thanks, and happy birthday to yourself too!

As for the female Link thing, I'm assuming that it's actually some variation of Linkle. I honestly don't really care if it's just called Link though. Male Link would still be the character we know and love, and the female variant could just be looked at as a non-canon, "what if" element, not being part of the timeline.

Bananija

Count of Trickery
Thanks, and happy birthday to yourself too!

As for the female Link thing, I'm assuming that it's actually some variation of Linkle. I honestly don't really care if it's just called Link though. Male Link would still be the character we know and love, and the female variant could just be looked at as a non-canon, "what if" element, not being part of the timeline.
It doesn't really need to be non-canon. If they made a timeline where Link loses, they can make one where the spirit of the hero is reborn in a female body. They never said it was impossible after all.

And that my post is in topic, I can wish you and @Curious Villager an happy (late?) birthday!:bluejump:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
It doesn't really need to be non-canon. If they made a timeline where Link loses, they can make one where the spirit of the hero is reborn in a female body. They never said it was impossible after all.

And that my post is in topic, I can wish you and @Curious Villager an happy (late?) birthday!:bluejump:
Yeeeeah we don't need another split.

Especially since this game looks to be between OoT/MM and Twilight Princess, so it would be a split within a split.

I just don't think there is any reason for Link's sex to be a factor in the timeline.

Bananija

Count of Trickery
Yeeeeah we don't need another split.

Especially since this game looks to be between OoT/MM and Twilight Princess, so it would be a split within a split.

I just don't think there is any reason for Link's sex to be a factor in the timeline.
Fair point. It's true that, now that I think about it, the sex of Link has very little chance to alter the outcome of the story.

Edit: Here's a funny anecdote. I was playing Pokkén online as Machamp and I was fighting a Sceptile. We where at the final round, a few second left and my life bar lower than his. 00,42 second before the end, we both activate our burst attack. I won.:grin: I wish there was the option to save replays like in Smash, would have been convinient.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

If someone ever asked me show them of something been taken way too literally, I'd show them this lol :p
Say what you will, but keep in mind it was the view of both the churches back in the day and some modern flat earthers. Their beliefs, not mine.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Watched Zootopia today
WAY better than what I expected and I was hyped for this movie, I'll make a separate post on it later
I don't see the point of including a one-off spin-off character like Linkle when you could just include the option of making the existing protagonist (one who is already androgynous and changes age, attire, and design) female. It's not like Link is some unchanging entity. The character is pretty malleable.

I would agree if the character of Link was the same in every game. If it was the same one Link in every Zelda title. Then I would feel it an unnecessary deviation, like a male Samus or something.

But the Links are different. They're all named Link, but they're not the same individual. They range in age and dress, so altering the gender, especially for a blank slate like Link, doesn't really bother me. If anything I'd like them to make this Link either male specifically or female specifically for the sake of canon, but I understand why they wouldn't go that route.

Shallow criticism perhaps. Criticism that suits a political agenda but not actually one of much significance. I don't see many gamers having a problem with it, they're used to characters of variable gender by now. And again it's not like making Duke Nukem female, or Lara Croft male. Link is pretty androgynous and ill-defined as it is... it's not a huge departure for the character.

And having Link and Linkle contain gameplay differences sounds pretty limiting when you could just make an amalgamation of both for the gameplay. Zelda isn't some game where you choose a new character every level, relegating gameplay to a certain character sounds unnecessarily restrictive.

That'd work better for a game whereby each play-through doesn't take an extensive amount of time.
Link is a character though, he isn't some self-insert OC like the Pokemon Trainers or the FE avatars
Original intent be damned, the way his character was developed has turned him into his own entity
Also, I really hope I'm misunderstanding that but I don't see how him being "androgynous" makes it easier to change his gender
Not only is he not androgynous but that comes off as rather offensive
Excadrill used Rockslide.
Ducklett fainted.

Also you only get the TM 55 containing Scald by defeating the last Gym Leader in B2W2.
A trained Ducklett should be outspeeding Excadrill though
One hit is all it needs
And Scald is obtained on the Cold Storage in BW
@Zoroarking MAAAAAAJOR spoilers for the true hero of duwang and Polnareff turtle explanation
"Major spoilers"
Yeah, I'm not opening that until next year when Part 4 is over lol

Burruni

Smash Hero
Reminder that for Ocarina of Time, Link was originally significantly more goofy looking; kinda following more akin to the box art and stuff for LTTP and Link's Awakening.

Then one of the head team member's wives (may have been Aonuma's) complained about an abscence of hot characters with Nintendo.

So they updated Link to the almost bishonen like look that's fairly stuck for the 3D Zeldas.

But they didn't want him to be /too/ "hot" or anything like that so they made sure to add tights to make him more silly.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Watched Zootopia today
WAY better than what I expected and I was hyped for this movie, I'll make a separate post on it later

Link is a character though, he isn't some self-insert OC like the Pokemon Trainers or the FE avatars
Original intent be damned, the way his character was developed has turned him into his own entity
Also, I really hope I'm misunderstanding that but I don't see how him being "androgynous" makes it easier to change his gender
Not only is he not androgynous but that comes off as rather offensive

A trained Ducklett should be outspeeding Excadrill though
One hit is all it needs
And Scald is obtained on the Cold Storage in BW

"Major spoilers"
Yeah, I'm not opening that until next year when Part 4 is over lol
Clay is hard depending on your team in black and white. In black and white I chose Samurott because he's awesome, he won the badge easily for me.

It also helped that I trained literally every new mon in black and white 10 levels before each gym. It's something I have always done as grinding hasn't bothered me, and I was always good then. The audinos in Black and White and BW2 really helped though.

By the pokemon league, I had most of BW's dex to level 65 and trained.

League wasn't to bad, offered some challenges( I don't remember my team, except for scraftly, samurott) until....

Ghetius..... Man that was one hell of a fight. He wasted all 40 of my revives, and my 30 hyper potions. I just won it. That hydreigon was insane. I thought it was going to be a water type, so I switched to someone to counter it. Then a giant dragon comes out and I go

Oh ****. It took my team out in like hit at a time. Can't remember what I did to win though.

BW2 was easier but still proved challenging. I used serpior and oil, leech seed, and giga drain helped a lot throughout that game. also easily beating clay.

Also how about that anime fight? BW had a bad anime, but that fight was just kind of dumb. Ash swept him up until excadrill. Then it just used horn drill OHKOing everyone, except for boldore because of sturdy. Who then won with rock smash....

Like what....?

Burruni

Smash Hero
Man.

This guy is one of the three that made that White run great.
And focus blast made Hydreigon killable after sacrificing enough people to Draco Meteor for dark pulse to not ohko.

Well, him and Nibbolt the Galvantula with ~92% accuracy Thunder.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Man.

This guy is one of the three that made that White run great.
And focus blast made Hydreigon killable after sacrificing enough people to Draco Meteor for dark pulse to not ohko.

Well, him and Nibbolt the Galvantula with ~92% accuracy Thunder.
You just reminded me of the 3rd member I brought! It was gothitelle! I actually like them, and reniculous, they are quirky but nice mons. But gothitelle was useful for that run.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Hmm. People be standing by their girl Link dogmas. I'd be remiss if I didn't say this reminds me of when talk about the NX coming out in 2016 as opposed to 2017 or 2018 happened and this group was much more down on that idea than elsewhere. To each their own I suppose, but the no girl Link, no VAs, no new friends paradigm seems a very resistant and dismissive one.

Link is not a static character. He changes all the time. So what if he's a girl? Is that going to ruin the game for you? If so, that's kind of close-minded. Again, if he was always the same character, a singular Link, then I would be right there with all of you. And I'm not accounting for preference. If you'd prefer one Link over another, that's your call. Personally I'd prefer either a male Link or a female Link, not this halfway remedy. But if it's really going to fundamentally disrupt your view of the game, that's a bit of a obstinate view to take. There are a number of Zelda titles that would function identically (or near identically) if Link was female in them.

But Link is a guy! Yeah, but if his masculinity isn't an integral and intrinsic aspect of the character, if he isn't defined by his masculinity, which he absolutely is not, what is the loss in replacing it? The only one I can see is the view of an ever-changing character has changed yet again. This time slightly differently. The root of the character, which is the silent, courageous, avatar-like demeanour, will abide. He'll just get slightly curvier and grow some ****. If that tarnishes your view of the entire game... I dunno. That's kinda weird imo. At least have an open mind.

There's a black Spider-Man now, yet the world keeps turning. To my knowledge he's actually pretty popular.

I'm also not saying girl Link is necessary or mandatory by any means. If Link stays a dude that's cool. But if a female Link should show up, the game is not going to suffer for it. Link's personality (or lack thereof) is not going to stray. Because it's a surface detail, it's an aesthetic aspect.

Even now I see the idea being embraced pretty widely except here. I don't mean to be overly critical, but I do notice a tendency to become entrenched in the belief of unwavering consistency that emanates from this place. Personally I don't think Nintendo giving people more of the same is in either their best interests nor their upcoming plan right now.

In any case, here's what I think will happen. I think the rumour will turn out to be valid, because the content within does seem to be the way the winds are blowing both with Nintendo and with gaming nowadays. And also, perhaps more importantly, because multiple people are coming forward claiming to have heard the same information. I think once VAs and female Link are revealed, a lot of people will jump ship, much in the same way they did after a character reveal in Smash. Linkle already proved the notion of a female Link popular, and this is one step closer towards that. Then I think in retrospect people will look back as they did Wind Waker and realize the hubbub about aesthetics really doesn't touch the core of what Zelda is really about. I think they will realize that a female Link in no way runs antithetical to the "Zelda" experience, because all that really changes is a model. Then people will complain about the game, not because of female Link, but because people complain about every Zelda game until the next one comes... where upon it becomes revered. :p

That's my prediction at any rate. Who knows, maybe I turn out being way off base. But I hope not, because negativity doesn't really benefit anyone.

D

Deleted member

So, about Zootopia
Obvious spoilers inside
Wow, I'm honestly surprised the main themes in a Disney movie were racism and social roles(then again, Big Hero 6 already had some pretty mature themes)
And it exemplifies greatly that people shouldn't pay for the sins of their ancestors nor do they justify someone's prejudice
The social roles part was more subtle compared to the rest but it's better put by "what's the point of trying to be honest if everyone will always see foxes as liars"
Even with that, it was an extremely fun movie and it shows how said issues should be presented to kids
I give it a tenouttaten

Burruni

Smash Hero
White Team
Samurott - Reuniclus - Chandellure - Galvantula - Vanilleuxe - (unfortunately) Unfezant

Black Team
Emboar - Bisharp - Beartic - Gollurk - Lilligant - Carracosta (Bisharp's godly X-Scissor beheaded a hydra)

White 2 Team
Serperior - Magnezone - Jellicent - Darmanitan - Archeops - Zoroark

Black 2 Team
Samurott - Raichu - Scrafty - Crustle - Haxorus - Sigilyph.

That was my gen 5 experience.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'm pretty neutral on if female link happens.

---
My b/w team:
Reuniclus, excadrill, volcarona, eelektross, hydregion (SP), Carracosta

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
They're their own characters too, sorry to say. Hell, one of the biggest characters of recent years was Commander Shepard.

Original intent is what guides the creators. Fan demand sometimes factors as well. You see how they responded to Linkle? I'm aware that the reception occurred after decisions had already been made for this game, but Nintendo isn't going to ignore that level of effusive embrace.

A minority of angry people who don't want things to change... not so much.

Well I dunno, Lucina could masquerade as Marth without turning heads.

Not only is he not androgynous but that comes off as rather offensivel
To... androgynous people? I think most of them would agree. Especially with his most recent incarnation. To Link? Link is androgynous. It's not a pejorative term last time I checked.

Emily Rogers has gotten a lot of things wrong in the past. Look at her Wii U launch rumors. But other people saying they heard it does help (as long as they all have different sources).
She's also gotten things correct in the past. Of course I'm not putting all my eggs in her basket (which sounds a bit suggestive...), I do have more reasons why I believe this to be true. One of which being those that are corroborating with her. But sure, could all be total nonsense.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Excluding the multiple people thing, I think a bigger pillar for the rumor is Anounma saying it's entirely possible for Linkle to show up in zelda in future. With the designs in Zelda U, it makes sense, as well as the little info. Maybe they wanted legends out first before detailing Linkle is in Zelda U if this is true.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Never thought the female Link discussion was this controversial, even though we're talking about her being optional...let's just have a playable Zelda and make everyone happy :p

----

btw...My first Gen 5 team was this...

Serperier
Seismatoad
Excadrill
Galvantula
Archeops
Haxorus

was pretty decent...

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
ChikoLad ChikoLad happy Bay! You should be happy that your parents support your interests (at least evident by your cake)!

I try to tell my mom about Source Gaming and she just shuts down and doesn't listen. She doesn't understand anything about video games and doesn't even try to. :(

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
ChikoLad ChikoLad happy Bay! You should be happy that your parents support your interests (at least evident by your cake)!

I try to tell my mom about Source Gaming and she just shuts down and doesn't listen. She doesn't understand anything about video games and doesn't even try to. :(
That's to bad! At least you know your doing a great thing in running the site. My parents wouldn't understand game things like that, but I believe they would support me. I hope that improves, but realize you have plenty of supporters in running SG!

Oh and believe me, Female Zelda is apparently extremely controversial, I learned that today xD.

For some really dumb reasons to some people to. It's really pointless...

ChikoLad

Purple Boi

Nah I am happy about it, I was just completely thrown off by it lol.

I'm open enough about my interests within my family and even IRL in general, and in recent years they have been more understanding of them.

While the whole Rosalina thing seems to become a stigma online, to where I avoid talking about the character too much (the exact reason why I was apprehensive to be open about it for years), IRL everybody is fine with it and we can make jokes and stuff like that. I feel like Irish people are just way more laid back about stuff like interests and most people won't seriously bother you about things once you leave school. From my experience, people in other places seem much more uptight about things so I'm glad I don't have to truly deal with that.

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Oh, Happy Birthday to SonicBrawler182 and Curious Villager. :b:

Oh and believe me, Female Zelda is apparently extremely controversial, I learned that today xD.

You can say that again. >_>

EDIT: You mean Female Link.

:231:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Original intent is what guides the creators. Fan demand sometimes factors as well. You see how they responded to Linkle? I'm aware that the reception occurred after decisions had already been made for this game, but Nintendo isn't going to ignore that level of effusive embrace.

A minority of angry people who don't want things to change... not so much.
Original intent, as in, in Zelda 1
He was supposed to be the "link" to the player after all, but it is clear this idea was dropped afterbif
Well I dunno, Lucina could masquerade as Marth without turning heads.
There was no gender switch though
Does being androgynous help with disguising? Sure. Does it help or justify to change the gender of a character? Certainly not.
To... androgynous people? I think most of them would agree. Especially with his most recent incarnation. To Link? Link is androgynous. It's not a pejorative term last time I checked.
Implying that him being androgynous makes it easier to simply do a gender-bent on him

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

Honey you have no idea, female Zelda is almost as controversial as male Link. :p

While the whole Rosalina thing seems to become a stigma online, to where I avoid talking about the character too much (the exact reason why I was apprehensive to be open about it for years), IRL everybody is fine with it and we can make jokes and stuff like that. I feel like Irish people are just way more laid back about stuff like interests and most people won't seriously bother you about things once you leave school. From my experience, people in other places seem much more uptight about things so I'm glad I don't have to truly deal with that.
I'll be honest in that I don't remember there being a Rosalina stigma this time two years ago. Some people thought she'd play like Peach. Some people questioned her necessity in Mario games past Galaxy. But most people thought much more favourably of her than a bunch of other Mario characters.

Oh and happy birthday!

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Carracosta is the closest pokemon to my favorite animal, yet it's not really a top pokemon for me

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Oh, Happy Birthday to SonicBrawler182 and Curious Villager. :b:

You can say that again. >_>

EDIT: You mean Female Link.

:231:
Honey you have no idea, female Zelda is almost as controversial as male Link. :p

I'll be honest in that I don't remember there being a Rosalina stigma this time two years ago. Some people thought she'd play like Peach. Some people questioned her necessity in Mario games past Galaxy. But most people thought much more favourably of her than a bunch of other Mario characters.

Oh and happy birthday!
Lol this is what happens when I type with multiple topics in mind after a long day.

But you could probably find controversial female zeldas lol.
Carracosta is the closest pokemon to my favorite animal, yet it's not really a top pokemon for me
And you just reminded me of two more of my MVPS in BW!

I think I used Carcoasta in B2( or he was backup in 1), but Archeops is one of my favs and I used him as an E4 fighter in Black. He did well, but he was easy to kill.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I think the problem with this gender swap rumour is just it's wording.

People don't have a problem with the idea of a female protagonist in Zelda, and more with changing the established character of Link into a female. It's like changing Samus to a man, Mario to a female, etc. For one, it literally adds nothing to the game. Changing the sex of an established character comes off as pandering to the crowd that want everything in games to be completely politically correct or equal or whatever, but there are more interesting alternatives.

My personal opinion is that Linkle should now be used as the female alternative to Link, and both should appear even if you don't pick them. This is no different to how Pokemon does it. In Pokemon, for example, if you play as a guy, the girl character is usually your rival or a friend, and vice versa. They both also have canon names (Brendan and May, for example, in Gen 3). Essentially, instead of just making two versions of the same character, they integrate a male and female character into the world, either as a player character or major NPC. You simply choose which is which.

Linkle already has an established personality that is different than Link's, so just put her in the new game and let her be playable. And if you still choose Link, then Linkle still appears as an important character. Link can be a silent protagonist, and Linkle can be a chatterbox.

IMO, just changing an existing character to a different gender is just pandering for the sake of it and somewhat cheapens the character.

Oh and happy birthday!
I was uncomfortable talking about Rosalina for a while simply because she was a female character and growing up in school, I got the impression people would harass me for liking a female character that wasn't blatantly badass or sexy on a surface level like Lara Croft or Bayonetta or whatever.

These days, it's just that I feel there is a stigma attached to me regarding the character. In general for the character though, I don't feel there is much of one. It's mostly a drop in the bucket from very minor communities.

And thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom