• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Yeah, were they anti GG's?

I'm still confused.
My understanding is simply that she was a very unprofessional staff member and spoke openly about some very questionable material.
Basically this, talked about the risky photo shoot's that for the most part wouldn't be posted to the internet due to content, but she'd love to post them all one day. Praised people have poly type relationships( which from a Family company view, is not something they want to explain or be associated with.) argued with fans and trolls, etc. Basically she broke a lot of rules that someone of her authority should not have, as it make the company you work liable to look bad, and is unprofessional.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Started working on some new articles for the main page that will hopefully be up soon. Kind of gave up on the other one I was working on regarding Smash Community over the past few years once it reached 3 pages and didn't cover a third of what I was hoping to talk about. lol

Strange how sometimes one piece of conversation is HUGE in one place but not another. FFXV stream and Alison Rapp are pretty big everywhere else I look at. Meanwhile here we are talking about April Fools. Although seeing this thread dive into the craziness GAF is over Rapp probably wouldn't be too fun to watch so I guess that is an improvement sometimes. :laugh:

There would straight up be riots
Jazz Hands 5.png

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
I actually wanted to write an article explaining Rapps views on Sg, but everyone suggested against it.
It's probably for the best. Less controversy, less drama and overall less issues.

IIt's just one of those things that Journalism might wanna avoid and people might accuse you guys if clickbait or SJW support. It's better to stay neutral but draw the line on what to do and say about your content

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Interesting story @Fumi-Chan! might like.

When I was picking up my New 3DS today, the manager at GameStop started chatting with me about certain things, one being about upcoming Nintendo games. He mentioned Yokai-Watch and asked me if I knew what it was. I explained it to him the gist of it, and he even specifically asked if it might have an anime. During all of that, one of the other employees mentioned that he was in Japan when Yokai-Watch first launched and he remembers all of the "cat mascots" being everywhere. We also talked about that skiing commercial with Mario & Luigi, and Jibanyan.

Anyway the manager said he actually wants to try Yokai-Watch now so I may have sold the game to the manager of my local GameStop. Maybe the anime too.

Also, this whole conversation spun off of him talking about how Nintendo games are supposed to be becoming even more limited over here...I wonder if the Wii U ending production rumours, and the NX launching this year rumours, are at all related.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
She is a radical feminist, which is why GG didn't like her. The people spun her anti censorship of that kind of material into her supporting pedophile. She didn't like people who got arrested for possession of CP, but I don't think she supported attacking kids. She did suggest to lower the age of consent, but AFAIK she never said what age.

I actually wanted to write an article explaining Rapps views on Sg, but everyone suggested against it.
I do NOT support her

Or more accurately, I can't support her

Last edited:

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
It's probably for the best. Less controversy, less drama and overall less issues.

IIt's just one of those things that Journalism might wanna avoid and people might accuse you guys if clickbait or SJW support. It's better to stay neutral but draw the line on what to do and say about your content
The thing is that the piece would have been neutral. I wouldn't have fully supported Rapp-- she has some issues with her viewpoints. It wouldn't be clickbait as it would actually have been an article (multiple pages long that explored the issue). Clickbait is when there's an inflammatory title and no content to back it (or goes against the title).

My gaming journalism ethics pieces put me pretty much in the middle of "being" a GG and SJW. I got a lot of flake for saying that localization is usually not censorship, but a lot of approval for calling out sites on excessive rumor reporting on KotakuInAction.

Now, I feel that GamerGate has fallen to the same traps it was once against. It's become an anti-pc (or anti-SJW) group at its core. GamerGate would be better off it it actually fostered discussion and not just rely on buzzwords to try to get their message across.

Here's a perfect example: When someone posted my message calling out Nintendoeverything for their bad translations it got 0 comments (it was upvoted over 100 too). A post about those pesky SJWs and Kotaku? Over 100 comments (and 300 upvotes).

We did a podcast about localization vs censorship, and we were extremely fair to both sides (Censored Gaming even tweeted it). I haven't seen that much buzz around it.

Of course there are issues with the SJW side too. Being overtly pc, demanding changes because they are offended, are not good for content creators. I also believe in freedom of speech pretty strongly (duh, I write all the time).

But it's annoying if I point out the flaws of one...I'm automatically the other. Both sides seem to have lost their brains when arguing and an actual discussion is nearly impossible because of the lack of maturity.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Wow.
It's been almost a year since ShaqBoards.
Time sure flies, huh?

Dangit people I just said how it was a positive we weren't talking about Rapp. :mad: I guess this is my fault for posting it here. When trying to keep people informed goes horribly wrong.

I'm kind of surprised no one has made a Miitomo thread yet with it releasing (in the west) tomorrow. :p Not even a MyNintendo thread which will probably be a big deal

FF15 anime confirmed.
Final Fantasy has been "anime" since its inception :troll:

Last edited:

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
Anyone here a Star Wars fan? Watch the Rebels finale tonight?

Damn. That Ahsoka and Vader/Anakin fight. I really love having Vader's mask partly come apart and Ahsoka see his face again. I love the way the new canon is making the Anakin/Vader character make a lot more sense... and lets us see that this really is Anakin Skywalker.

Did feel kind of blue-ballsed as well. Ahsoka is still alive I guess. Vader must have spared her... but I wish we saw that.

Rebels' writing falls flat again as well. Maul getting thrown off the temple by a newly blinded Kanan was just... dumb. This is Darth Maul we're talking about. He kidnapped Dooku and Grievous and held them, and almost destroyed the Seperatists with just himself and a small army (Son of Dothomir comic). Maul easily should have killed Kanan then.

Ezra opening the Sith holocron at the end was pretty interesting. But again, the show's writing makes little sense a lot of the time. Suddenly Maul desperately wants Ezra as an apprentice. Ezra and Kanan share a moment at the end where it really shows that Ezra treats him like a big brother figure. Then Ezra just opens the sith holocron. All over the place and really strange quite frankly.

They just killed off all of the known Inquisitors as well. So I'm interested in seeing where the villain figures of next season come from besides Vader.

Sorta wish we saw Ahsoka join Vader. To me it makes sense for her always compulsive chaarcter, especially since Anakin was her best friend, to join him once she was his face. Who knows... we still don't know fully what happened between them after the ship left.

D

Deleted member

PushDustIn PushDustIn I agree with the others to not write an article with the drama. Even though your points all solid, what all of these people causing drama want is for this mess to get as much attention as possible. And I assure you, the majority of both sides won't listen to any of your points and facts.

But on the other hand, it seems a lot of people neutral to this kind of drama normally, seem to be misinformed about this. I had to inform a whole thread of another forum about the truth because they were deeply confused and fell for fake information including fake screenshots.

So I say only do it if you really feel like the correct information is not spreading.

Just my thoughts.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Final Fantasy has been "anime" since its inception :troll:
Sorta I guess lol.

Also we're getting a prequel movie akin to Advent Children for FF15 coming around the same time as FF15.

EDIT: It's more like a midquel actually.

HOLY SHIZ! Aaron Paul is on stage lol. Breaking Bad confirmed for FF15 :troll:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Im watching the FF 15 video and i must say, if FF 15 releases on the NX, then there's a chance i might get it for curiosity(since i don't want to get another console just for 1 game).

..............Like if that's ever going to happen.

Last edited by a moderator:

wedl!!

Goddess of Storms
NNID
Plushies4Ever
alternative right vs radical left; whoever wins, we lose

anyways, alex is pretty cool but I dunno how good he is. His burst is godlike but his mobility is meh and he's CC bait because of his poor frame data and lack of reliable wakeup tools

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Lol he referenced Breaking Bad on stage. Was really hoping he would do that at some point.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
The FFXV movie trailer. (Or at least I think it is i'm not watching the stream)
That's it. I hear it's coming out before the game's release though. The way they phrased it makes me think it might be a free download but I can be wrong.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
So actually, realistically, I can see April 1st making this Pokémon Boards.

Makes a lot of sense with the anniversary, and the amount of pokemon to choose from.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I have finally succeeded in unlocking Twili Midna in all her glory...only took me all day...lol

Anyways, I only have three characters left; Tingle, Zant, Young Link...Zant and YLink are a bit out of the way atm, and Tingle I'm too dumb to figure out the secret...

Still have to unlock all the weapons as well, so far I only managed to get Impa's Naginata...

So actually, realistically, I can see April 1st making this Pokémon Boards.

Makes a lot of sense with the anniversary, and the amount of pokemon to choose from.
Give me nidoking or give me death!

So we got:
Ratchet and Clank
Sly Cooper
Final Fantasy FFXV

I can't believe i'm saying this, but I want to watch multiple movies based on video games.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
With all this new content their announcing for FF15, I hope they release all this content with FF15 at it's release date on one disk.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Here's the thing.

Even if the person viewing CP doesn't harm anyone, it's supporting and creating a market for people to make it. Which does hurt people

Last edited:

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Here's the thing.

Even if the person viewing CP doesn't harm anyone, it's supporting and creating a market for people to make it. Which does hurt people
I don't think Rapp supports the making of real life CP, only drawn/ hentai of it. In her essay, she talks about how the market for CP doesn't seem to have a tangible effect on actual sexual assault. Or at least there hasn't been a proven link.

Not saying I agree with her, but that's her argument.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
It's safe to say FF XV won me over with that Uncovering. Looks absolutely amazing with plenty to do.

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
alternative right vs radical left; whoever wins, we lose

anyways, alex is pretty cool but I dunno how good he is. His burst is godlike but his mobility is meh and he's CC bait because of his poor frame data and lack of reliable wakeup tools
The alt-right isn't that bad once you get past the anime and dank may-mays. :awesome:

----

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I haven't played any FF game since 10 so this outta be interesting.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I don't think Rapp supports the making of real life CP, only drawn/ hentai of it. In her essay, she talks about how the market for CP doesn't seem to have a tangible effect on actual sexual assault. Or at least there hasn't been a proven link.

Not saying I agree with her, but that's her argument.
The hentai is actually not illegal, I don't think

I dunno, to me it's not so much about having a link to someone being more aggressive or more likely to assault someone/ a child

But more, it's supporting the creation of it. (Not the drawn kind)

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Speaking about April Fools pranks...

If you guys wanted to play a cruel prank on me you would post an Isaac reveal trailer the moment I check SB after waking up only to reveal that it's fake. That would destroy me inside out.

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
man it must be great to like ff 15? despite everything ive seen despite how cool it looks i still to this day am having zero emotions to this game

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I think the prank should be "Pokken Boards"

The site has been changed to a Pokken community board

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Not sure if this has been posted yet, but Hitoshi Ariga is helping design another Pokemon figure beyond the Red/Pikachu one that is coming out later this year:

CecjWx5WwAAYC7A.jpg
Would have went with her original design myself, but it's definitely refreshing to see Mudkip over Torchic.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
The hentai is actually not illegal, I don't think

I dunno, to me it's not so much about having a link to someone being more aggressive or more likely to assault someone/ a child

But more, it's supporting the creation of it. (Not the drawn kind)
In America it's very illegal, and countries are pushing for it to be illegal in Japan.

But the reason people are against the supporting of creating that kind of content is because they believe it encourages serial assault against minors. It's actually not too far on the line of thinking of people who want to ban violent video games because they claim it causes violence.

Either way, if there's a link there or if there isn't-- I do think as a society, we should encourage those people with those tendencies to get help. Outcasting them/ leaving them alone is why these horrendous acts perpetuate. Allowing them to get consuling, and professional help before they commit these crimes is a more effective tactic than just labeling them as sex offenders. These people need help.

Of course, if they do commit the crime, they should serve the time. But helping those people before they act is a crucial step missing in a lot of countries: including Japan: which underreports child abuse --which Rapp doesn't mention in her essay.

Last edited:

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
It's about to be March 31st and we all know what that means.
20160330221555.png

Miitomo will be released along with My Nintendo. Let's hope that the new program is promising :D

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
This is a topic I never suspected I would talk about on here. 0_o

In America it's very illegal, and countries are pushing for it to be illegal in Japan.

But the reason people are against the supporting of creating that kind of content is because they believe it encourages serial assault against minors. It's actually not too far on the line of thinking of people who want to ban violent video games because they claim it causes violence.

Either way, if there's a link there or if there isn't-- I do think as a society, we should encourage those people with those tendencies to get help. Outcasting them/ leaving them alone is why these horrendous acts perpetuate. Allowing them to get consuling, and professional help before they commit these crimes is a more effective tactic than just labeling them as sex offenders. These people need help.

Of course, if they do commit the crime, they should serve the time. But helping those people before they act is a crucial step missing in a lot of countries: including Japan: which underreports child abuse --which Rapp doesn't mention in her essay.
People are awful puritanical when it comes to this topic, and by no means am I defending child molesters or those who participate in the market of real life CP, those people are truly heartless to prioritize their lust over the wellbeing of children and should be reprimanded accordingly, but you can't help who or what you're attracted to, and repressing desire is also no good. These people need an outlet for it, and if they can find one in hentai or whatever kind of drawing does the trick without hurting anyone, I feel widespread prohibition on such things would cause more harm than good.

Like you said, the argument against legalizing these images exists in the same vein as video game violence begetting real-life violence.

If you're attracted to children that's really horrible for you, but you can't change that about yourself no more than you can change your sexual orientation, and if you can express that desire a way without harming anyone then imo you don't deserve to be grouped in with those disgusting, selfish people that would directly or indirectly take advantage of actual children.

I do agree seeking help is also a worthwhile endeavour, as long as those providing aid try to appeal on an empathetic level and show those with untoward sexual predilections the harm they can cause, as counseling away the pedophilia is tantamount to praying away the gay. You can't "cure" what you're sexually drawn to, so I can't imagine outlawing one of the only means these people can help deal with their "condition" is ultimately beneficial.

However regardless of where you stand on pedophilia, if you work as a mouthpiece for a company, especially one with a large audience of children, you just keep those thoughts to yourself, or at least relegated to your private life.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Completely agree with you N3ON N3ON .

On your last point...

I do think Rapp crossed the line and shared too much information...especially for someone who worked as a PR rep.

In the end, both "sides" messed up and there isn't a clear victim/ aggressor. Both parties are at fault for something that they did.

Imo: GamerGaters are at fault for misrepresenting her argument and for harassing her, and Rapp is at fault for sharing too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom