• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Opossum Opossum

Your freaking brilliant! I just figured it out!

If anyone's seen A Christmas Story, the answer is there....

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Title is this:
Be sure to drink your Ovaltine.

Last edited:

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
>Wolf
>Lack of fanart and fanfiction

Ohohoho there's pleeeeenty of Wolf fanart and fanfiction. In more ways than one.
I meant strictly in a Smash context in terms of what comes up when you just skim a collection of fan works in general.

In terms of his own series, I am vaguely aware that there is a far larger volume of . . .content, I.E. :4fox: x:wolf: and so on.

It's just that whenever I start just skimming Smash Bros fan art and fan works in general, I see a lot more of Roy and Lucas than I do of Wolf. It's not that Wolf's doing horribly in the Smash fandom, just that I've seen a larger volume of more readily accessed material dedicated to the other two.

My purely anecdotal argument is deeply flawed by being anecdotal, of course, it's just that I'm trying to logic out what happened with Wolf rather than simply dismissing it as Sakurai being a jerk without even trying to think of what might have caused the situation.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I meant strictly in a Smash context in terms of what comes up when you just skim a collection of fan works in general.

In terms of his own series, I am vaguely aware that there is a far larger volume of . . .content, I.E. :4fox: x:wolf: and so on.

It's just that whenever I start just skimming Smash Bros fan art and fan works in general, I see a lot more of Roy and Lucas than I do of Wolf. It's not that Wolf's doing horribly in the Smash fandom, just that I've seen a larger volume of more readily accessed material dedicated to the other two.

My purely anecdotal argument is deeply flawed by being anecdotal, of course, it's just that I'm trying to logic out what happened with Wolf rather than simply dismissing it as Sakurai being a jerk without even trying to think of what might have caused the situation.
I was about to point out how that's anecdotal, but you did it for me.

Thanks, I couldn't be the buzzkill and cause everyone to throw a Rosalina insult at me over it. :V

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
I was about to point out how that's anecdotal, but you did it for me.

Thanks, I couldn't be the buzzkill and cause everyone to throw a Rosalina insult at me over it. :V
I did look to see how it actually lined up in one spot just now, just for the sake of actually checking the numbers and not being quite so anectotal.

Out of the fanfictions with characters labelled on FanFiction.net in the Smash section:

:wolf:: 93

:4feroy:: 306

:4lucas:: 401

I have no idea how many went unlabelled for each character and how many were made after their reintroductions in the case of the latter two, but that's what I pulled up.

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
...No?

Most of his videos are pretty neutral actually, at least regarding Smash. Just informative things.
I've seen critique for his videos a lot, but I was joking mostly. The video does sound kind of bad, but interesting. I'll watch it in a little bit and see what I think about it.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I did look to see how it actually lined up in one spot just now, just for the sake of actually checking the numbers and not being quite so anectotal.

Out of the fanfictions with characters labelled on FanFiction.net in the Smash section:

:wolf:: 93

:4feroy:: 306

:4lucas:: 401

I have no idea how many went unlabelled for each character and how many were made after their reintroductions in the case of the latter two, but that's what I pulled up.
Are you sure those are for the specific Roy and Lucas from Smash, and not just a search on those names in general?

Because if it's the latter, that would explain the huge numbers. Roy and Lucas are very common character names (case in point, we have two Roys in Smash itself :V).

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Are you sure those are for the specific Roy and Lucas from Smash, and not just a search on those names in general?

Because if it's the latter, that would explain the huge numbers. Roy and Lucas are very common character names (case in point, we have two Roys in Smash itself :V).
I searched in the Smash section specifically. There might be some skew from other same-name characters, but I imagine it wouldn't be too extreme.

I'm now going to look ant the individual fandoms and compare those as well for additional data. So far I looked up Roy in the Fire Emblem section and his number of fics was a third the size of his Smash number, LOL.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I searched in the Smash section specifically. There might be some skew from other same-name characters, but I imagine it wouldn't be too extreme.

I'm now going to look ant the individual fandoms and compare those as well for additional data. So far I looked up Roy in the Fire Emblem section and his number of fics was a third the size of his Smash number, LOL.
Well I wouldn't say fanfics really speak for much, especially since many can be written by the same people.

...Plus shota and bushounin (sp?) is more popular than furry stuff, I'm sure. :V

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
I'm just going to speak up and say, I don't think Sakurai looked at how much fanfiction the veterans have in order to find out who to bring back. :p
But he does look at fanfics for newcomers right???????

*Hands tremble with a pile of greasy papers with "Geno" Written on it*

...wat

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Well I wouldn't say fanfics really speak for much, especially since many can be written by the same people.

...Plus shota and bushounin (sp?) is more popular than furry stuff, I'm sure. :V
. . .Actually I accidentally left it on K-T while I was searching, only just realized the issue when I was looking up the last result for Lucas in his own series, LOL. ^^' I'll do the M-included Smash rating after I type down the K-T number for Earthbound.

Characters in their own fandoms, SFW edition:

:wolf:: 266

:4feroy:: 105

:4lucas:: 343

Smash Fics including M like I should have calculated in the first place:

:wolf:: 103

:4feroy:: 351

:4lucas:: 435

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
You know, I just had a thought.

Why do you think that any/the characters that you wanted for Smash but weren't added didn't get in?
K. Rool may have been a loud voice, but was he really that loud? We also don't know if he's coming back to Nintendo or not.
Inklings: Obviously they're fresh off the block - and they'd probably take more time being implemented into the tight schedule of Smash 4's DLC, as well as the Mii Costume as some slight compensation.
Isaac: Golden Sun hasn't seen a new game since 2010, and we've no real news on when we'll be getting a new Golden Sun and if Camelot would be able to gather a strong workforce dedicated to making Golden Sun 4.
Takamaru: He didn't have the popularity he needed to be introduced as a playable character, and an appearance in only one game, but does have some hope for a revival.
Arcade Bunny: ...Sort of a new hypothetical out there, so he missed the Smash 4 speculation bus since Nintendo Badge Arcade wasn't available worldwide as of that stage.
Snake: Konami.
Elma: Relatively new, and Xenoblade has already just been given it's first steps in the Smash series. It'd be likely she'd be a newcomer in the next game.

Also, glad to know I'm not the ondalsudsadum dsaudioa[du nxfyesh89dauacc,dash.dc.admfhasj,casopdkasj

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
I'm just going to speak up and say, I don't think Sakurai looked at how much fanfiction the veterans have in order to find out who to bring back. :p
I know, I just figured it might be a hypothetical way to determine how much attention a given character got outside of our given sector of the fandom. The amount of fun poked at fanfic writers by competitives means the overlap must not be too horribly strong, so it gives a secondary reference point.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
You know, I just had a thought.

Why do you think that any/the characters that you wanted for Smash but weren't added didn't get in?
Isaac

Hasn't had a recent game in times which is stupid considering DD was a 2010 release and it's not like the Golden Sun series is dead. It just hasn't had an installment in recent times. Could also be that he was lower priority for characters like the FE newcomers and Shulk and ultimately missed the cut. Golden Sun is a series that has performed just as well as FE games so there's no reason for no having Isaac in the game really.

Andy

The only reason I can think of is that Advance Wars hasn't had a game since Days of Ruin in 2008 and even then Andy should have been a Brawl newcomer when Advance Wars was at it's peak. I don't even think Advance Wars even got a trophy in this game (Golden Sun as well) which really makes me wonder why Sakurai is ignoring this series all the while putting in as much FE as he can.

K. Rool

Other than relevancy I have no idea. He's very popular worldwide and is deserving to be in Smash. One of my most requested characters since the Melee days and I want to see him get in. I'm more optimistic about his chances of getting in then I am for my other wanted characters though.

Young Link

People are so fixated with this idea that YLink can't be in the game because of TLink which is stupid as all hell. YLink can be made to be different than the other 2 Links and people also seem to forget that he can potentially use his MM masks in his moveset as well. All my pleas seem to fall on deaf ears because i'm unfortunately in the minority that defends YLink.

Wolf

My theory is that Wolf was lower priority in the game and might have had some work done by the time the game was done though was ultimately scrapped. Sakurai saying that all DLC characters were made from scratch makes me think that Lucas and Roy were picked because they had no work done on them and were prime candidates for Vet DLC choices.

Crash Bandicoot

Not as requested as other 3rd party characters? He's fairly popular in Japan so that helps him out. Also doesn't help that his series is in limbo though theirs rumors of the series being revived this year. With that being said though there's also rumors of Sony re-acquiring the Crash series meaning Crash can be a Banjo sort of deal where it's pretty much impossible for him to get in.

Snake

Konami are a bunch of ********

Banjo

Owned by Microsoft. Would be extremely hard to get in Smash Bros.

Burruni

Smash Hero
I'm not sure what you mean by this. He has already appeared in games since Rare went MIA. That DS game and the baseball one so it can't be that he hasn't appeared since then. Do you mind enlightening me?
Donkey Konga 3 (GC) - JP Only
King of Swing (GBA)
Jungle Climber (DS)
Barrel Blast (Wii)
Super Mario Sluggers (Wii)

K. Rool was still THE big part of DK after the Rare buyout, only missing Jungle Beat as the big villain.

The issue is that he's not appeared in a game in 8 years (not counting the Mii Costume) and that there's been no scale no fang of him or a kremling in the rebirth of the series under Retro.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I think what Coricus means is how much of an overall attachment the character has to the fanbase as a whole. Not just the "hardcore" fans, but the "casual" fans too (Like not just those that are involved with the games themselves competitively or otherwise, but do still contribute a lot of fan works etc hope I worded that right....). Perhaps Wolf may or may not have received as much attention as some of the other Brawl veterans did with the "casual" fanbase which may or may not have affected his priority in some way.

Eitherway, we probably won't ever know unless Sakurai where to comment on the matter, which he probably won't do if the Melee veterans are anything to go by, which he only commented on how particularly popular Mewtwo and Roy where and all.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I think what Coricus means is how much of an overall attachment the character has to the fanbase as a whole. Not just the "hardcore" fans, but the "casual" fans too (Like not just those that are involved with the games themselves competitively or otherwise, but do still contribute a lot of fan works etc hope I worded that right....). Perhaps Wolf may or may not have received as much attention as some of the other Brawl veterans did with the "casual" fanbase which may or may not have affected his priority in some way.

Eitherway, we probably won't ever know unless Sakurai where to comment on the matter, which he probably won't do if the Melee veterans are anything to go by, which he only commented on how particularly popular Mewtwo and Roy where and all.
I would consider casual fans to be ones who aren't particularly vocal or transparent about their love for a character, and don't really contribute to their fandom in any significant way, because they don't try to. It doesn't really have anything to do with whether or not they play competitively at tournaments or whatever.

I mean, I haven't played at a tournament yet, but I'm pretty sure if I said I was a "casual Rosalina fan", I would get at least 5 quote alerts in my notifications, lol.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Why the characters I wanted didn't make it in:
-Input big meme here
-Rip Gen 5
-His son took his spot
-His daughter's crush too his spot
-Her (possible) daughter's crush took her spot
-lol wonder red rip in pasta
-Because they're from some random ass japanese game people only know about because I constantly fanboy over it also have you heard about our lord and savior...

. . .Actually I accidentally left it on K-T while I was searching, only just realized the issue when I was looking up the last result for Lucas in his own series, LOL. ^^' I'll do the M-included Smash rating after I type down the K-T number for Earthbound.

Characters in their own fandoms, SFW edition:

:wolf:: 266

:4feroy:: 105

:4lucas:: 343

Smash Fics including M like I should have calculated in the first place:

:wolf:: 103

:4feroy:: 351

:4lucas:: 435
How much you wanna bet that at least 50% of :4pit:'s fanfictions are M rated?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I would consider casual fans to be ones who aren't particularly vocal or transparent about their love for a character, and don't really contribute to their fandom in any significant way, because they don't try to. It doesn't really have anything to do with whether or not they play competitively at tournaments or whatever.

I mean, I haven't played at a tournament yet, but I'm pretty sure if I said I was a "casual Rosalina fan", I would get at least 5 quote alerts in my notifications, lol.
Hence why I used the terms "casual" and "hardcore" gamers loosely as the term can mean different things to different people.

I personally just think of the terms "casual" and "hardcore" gamer as either a player who plays a game for their own entertainment and enjoyment and the other playing it in order to achieve the biggest high score, speedrun through a game as fast as possible. Stuff like testing their limits of what a game has to offer etc.

But overall, I often tend to try to avoid using them as much as possible.....

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero

I didn't realize how much Linkle was "female link." I mean "no duh" but handing her a sword and shield makes it even more apparent than it already was. Yeesh
I mean I think I remember reading in one draft she was meant to be a child of Link.
And god knows how well those genes have kept in place.

wedl!!

Goddess of Storms
NNID
Plushies4Ever
Not touching Zero's video because that's a bomb waiting to go off and I'd rather not detonate it.

However, I will leave the idea with one statement: "Toxicicity"/damage to the meta is not objective, and neither is the belief that "lame play" is boring.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
pls announce Mushroom Kingdom Warriors

or Smash Warriors

Or this:
Those would work great as warriors.

And would play Hyrule Warios!

I didn't realize how much Linkle was "female link." I mean "no duh" but handing her a sword and shield makes it even more apparent than it already was. Yeesh
Much prefer her with bows, it's different enough, and works better as a link parallel as swords and bows are his signature weapons.
I mean I think I remember reading in one draft she was meant to be a child of Link.
And god knows how well those genes have kept in place.
She originally was meant as a sister character( but not by actual blood) to link, but this was changed in legends.

suddenly marin

i mean ya expected but still cool
**** yeah! Great( and almost the only choice) for a link's awakening character. A lot of potential. She looks really good her to!

Also does this mean we can have wart come back to mario now?

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Marin was expected! Not a lot of choices from Links Awakening. I hope the Wind Fish makes an appearance though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom