• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Honestly, what is with the Lucario hate?

I've seen it among people who don't play Pokemon anymore and I don't know why?

How about a real conversation I had with someone.

"Let's be honest, who really likes Lucario?

"Most people."

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
I was viewing the "Ruined FOREVER" individual page on TV Tropes and came across this one compilation of negative reactions to a specific character again. Needless to say, it brought back a lot of negative memories

I tried my hardest to censor it, but it's such a huge image, there was so much profanity, and I'm so scatterbrained that I wouldn't be surprised if I missed something. That said, I tried to cover up everything I could find, and I'm not trying to censor dodge in the slightest. Just let me know if you see anything and I'll take it down and cover it up.

I know Mewtwo was the most requested character, but MY GOSH.

It doesn't help at all that Lucario was one of two characters that convinced me to start following Smash, and to make it worse the other one, Sonic, also gets dragged into this at a couple of points.
Go ahead and take a good, long look. Is there anything you think we can learn from this?
*looks at Dark Pit, Corrin and Bayonetta* That haters will always be loud? That history repeats itself whether we like it or not?

Volga

Juggling Veteran
NNID
Saltytitan
3DS FC
0533-7336-5044
Part 2 of JoJo is the best to me because Joseph is the best Joestar and such a friggin dork it's amazing.
Part 1 is just really solid throughout and probably has the best non-protagonist cast of the entire series.
Part 6 has Joylene and by gods Father Pucci is probably the most interesting, not entertaining, antagonist of the series.
Part 3 has one of the slowest start ups and the cast gets... a bit too "padded."
Part 5 is overflooded moreso in cast and honestly it's probably the least "settled" the art design ever was for the series.
Part 4.... just never really got huge for me.
Part 7 is just like FE3: The original again but with too many damn people on horses and somehow the new versions of the old cast feel worse.
*patiently waits for Part 8 to finish*

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
*patiently waits for Part 8 to finish*
Does it even have a big bad at this point? All I know is that Jo2uke apparently has 4 naughty bits

"Most people."
I don't really give a **** about it, but I can respect it

1. He is popular. People don't like things that are popular
2. It's anthropomorphic. Furries are icky
3. Maybe it's being used as "what went wrong with pokemon after gen 1" the same way Klefki and Vaniluxe are/were
4. **** taste

I love Lucario so I can't speak from experience :4lucario:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

"Most people."
Lucario is pretty cool.

Ever since I saw the 8th movie, I liked Lucario.
Not one of my top favorites, but Lucario is up there.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Oh, OK. That actually makes more sense.

I always thought it was supposed to be what happens if Link stays, since the official timeline calls it the "Adult Era", with the Majora's Mask and onward timeline being referred to as the "Child Era". Which made me always consider it an *** pull.

They really should rename the timelines. The current names are so vague.
It's the timeline where link is defeated that makes no sense to me because the other two timelines are split from the same event whereas the defeated timeline is just some random other event.

I guess it's breaking the 4th wall and is a continuation of a time when the player got a game over. That's...stupidly meta for something official

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904

"Most people."
To be honest, that sounds suspiciously like Genwunner behavior, especially if the keyword is "anymore."

That and the hatred that arises from an anthropomorphic animal existing because the people who like the designs of anthropomorhic animals are Acceptable Targets.

Volga

Juggling Veteran
NNID
Saltytitan
3DS FC
0533-7336-5044

"Most people."
Your guess is as good as mine. I didn't even know the guy had some haters.
I mean,I like Lucario. the typing's unique,and it works really well for both spectrums of attacking.

Does it even have a big bad at this point? All I know is that Jo2uke apparently has 4 naughty bits
Nope. its more like a general goal that he has to find his memory and whatnot. I haven't seen a Main Baddie yet. I thought it would be the family,but shifted from them to the rock people as the general baddies. for the time being.
I'm slightly hoping Joshu is a baddie. I don't like that guy. haha.

D

Deleted member

I'm probably going to get flak for this, but Squirtle and Ivysaur were acceptable losses.

Charizard was the only one of the three that had any business being in the game without the Trainer.

Last edited by a moderator:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
The Five Stages of N3ON's reaction to the WFT Reveal

Denial, Anger, and Bargaining:
N3ON said:
She BETTER be an AT. Gawd.

EDIT: No, looks to be a character.
WWWWWWWHHHHHHHHHHHHHHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

EDIT AGAIN: I'm actually not sure. I pray for AT.
Depression:
N3ON said:
Well ****. Out of all the characters Sakurai, out of all the characters.
Acceptance:
N3ON said:
*sigh* I guess I'll have to get used to her. Still not thrilled, but... it's not like it's game-ruining.
Probably won't play as her very often though.
And my opinion about WFT has never shifted since then lol.

Here's more reactions. Not all of them were as bad as mine. Some were worse haha.
http://smashboards.com/threads/super-smash-bros-4-wii-u-3ds-topic.324221/page-445#post-15575881

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
It's weird how fast Wii Fit Trainer hate died down.

I wish the same happened for Corrin, Cloud and Dark Pit...

Burruni

Smash Hero

I think a lot of it is timing.
:4wiifit: was at the very dawn of speculation, where... just about everything as possible.
:4darkpit: remains the least differentiated clone in the series if I'm not mistaken and was at the launch of the actual game.
:4cloud::4corrin: had the "FE/Anime Swordsman" stigma already and them coming at the tail end of DLC (and being so strong) just were a nightmare storm for salt.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

I haven't seen 'WAHWAH NOT GENO/TOO ANIME' since November, so Cloud doesn't really belong on that list. Dark Pit is basically that asshole you know who wants friends but doesn't realize he needs to change so people will like him

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo

To be fair, not only did Wii Fit Trainer get revealed much earlier, she was thankfully more accepted once we got more details from her.

I can see Cloud dying down after some time; with Corrin and Dark Pit's hate, I never see that going away.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
The Five Stages of N3ON's reaction to the WFT Reveal

Denial, Anger, and Bargaining:

Depression:

Acceptance:

And my opinion about WFT has never shifted since then lol.

Here's more reactions. Not all of them were as bad as mine. Some were worse haha.
http://smashboards.com/threads/super-smash-bros-4-wii-u-3ds-topic.324221/page-445#post-15575881
All those currently active users starting out upset and then warming up to her when they actually saw her in action. . .

Also LOL @ all the Palutena comments. Just give it a year, guys! :4palutena:

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi

"Most people."
He's literally Pokemon's Rosalina. Like, point for point.

He was created as really just another Pokemon at first (while Rosalina was supposed to be a one-time character). Then he got popular, and they have capitalised on that popularity by making him more and more prominent and giving him bigger roles. Just like Rosalina.

Then they tried to die down on doing so much with Lucario, and Zoroark was supposed to be their new, cool bipedal Pokemon. But Zoroark didn't turn out nearly as popular. So they went back to Lucario.

Now you have some hipsters who hate Lucario because he's getting all of this cool stuff and is basically the second face of Pokemon now (just look at the cover of Pokken), while their favourite Pokemon is probably just another Pokemon to Game Freak (like how Waluigi and Daisy and others are just filler characters within Mario). Instead of realising that he got so popular due to having such a strong introduction that was well built upon, people resort to thinking "nobody actually likes Lucario aside from a few furries", and calling him "Game Freak's Lightning", just like people say "Rosalina isn't really THAT popular", and calling her "Nintendo's Lightning".

TL;DR the 30-something year olds still playing Pokemon can't accept a new mascot that isn't Pikachu, Charizard, or Mewtwo.

Clone hate is special in which that it is commonly for illogical reasons doesn't go away very easily, if at all.

See: Roy, Pichu, Young Link.

It's going to be awhile IF DP stops getting hate. :(

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

It was probably tempered by the fact that in the same day Villager, Mega Man, and the game itself were revealed. There was a bunch of stuff to dilute the backlash, plus at that point the game was still full of possibilities. Corrin, Cloud and stupid lame dumb stupid Dark Pit were much more the ROBs of the game.

Those were the days everyone was like yeah Ridley is totally gonna get in. Didn't you hear that Nintendo Power interview? SAKURAI HAS SEEN THE LIGHT!

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
He's literally Pokemon's Rosalina. Like, point for point.

He was created as really just another Pokemon at first (while Rosalina was supposed to be a one-time character). Then he got popular, and they have capitalised on that popularity by making him more and more prominent and giving him bigger roles. Just like Rosalina.

Then they tried to die down on doing so much with Lucario, and Zoroark was supposed to be their new, cool bipedal Pokemon. But Zoroark didn't turn out nearly as popular. So they went back to Lucario.

Now you have some hipsters who hate Lucario because he's getting all of this cool stuff and is basically the second face of Pokemon now (just look at the cover of Pokken), while their favourite Pokemon is probably just another Pokemon to Game Freak (like how Waluigi and Daisy and others are just filler characters within Mario). Instead of realising that he got so popular due to having such a strong introduction that was well built upon, people resort to thinking "nobody actually likes Lucario aside from a few furries", and calling him "Game Freak's Lightning", just like people say "Rosalina isn't really THAT popular", and calling her "Nintendo's Lightning".

TL;DR the 30-something year olds still playing Pokemon can't accept a new mascot that isn't Pikachu, Charizard, or Mewtwo.
This is further supported by someone on that huge glob of text comparing Lucario to Rosalina in a way that implied that they thought it was a bad thing.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I was a little upset at first about WFT, mostly confused actually...I was like...

'Really? Wii Fit Trainer? Out of all the characters...'

I still don't really like the character mainly because whenever I face her she's annoying as **** to fight against...not even Duck Hunt annoys me as much as she does (probably because Duck Hunt is a troll by nature anyway and its just expected to get a headache from him)...

However nowadays she's pretty irrelevant to me...one of my least used characters in general...I pretty much never use unless I play Random and I happen to pick her...

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
And the rumors begin!

Hello /vp/! In light of the recent news of new footage on the horizon, I am excited to release new details on the latest trailer me and my team are working on. I am the official camera man and executive producer for this project we have been cooking up. Lets get started!

>The trailer starts out with a bright, large moon, surrounded by clouds (similar to pic related). Then, a large blue bat-like creature that resembles the Moon logo covers the moon, unleashing its signature cry
>Then it cuts to a hilltop, showing the bright sun, while a Manticore lion resembling the Sun logo, skips across the grass in a majestic fashion.
>These scenes are both in CGI format
>Next, the logos appear in detail, followed by shots of gameplay
>This gameplay indeed shows off the starters, trainers, and a few quick shots of new Pokemon including the wire frame bird, and a rock Tiki looking thing using a fire type attack
>The Grass starter looks like a panda, The Fire type resmebles a rabbit, and the Water type is a baby water buffalo
>The trailer is very similar to the X and Y reveal trailer, though with more detail and flare

Following this new trailer, a whole batch of details will release on the official site with artwork of the legendaries and starters.

Believe me or not, a new trailer is coming and should be expected a little before or after April 3rd. Thank you, and take care!
http://boards.4chan.org/vp/thread/25723935/hello-vp-in-light-of-the-recent-news-of-new

It's simple and probably fake, but I like it!

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
I heard y'all talking about my fitness goddess :4wiifit:

I was mostly laughing about it then she won me over after playing as her during the Best Buy demo.

#BestSmashGirl

Ivander

Smash Legend

I know Cloud has his share of haters, especially some notable ones, but I don't think he's really comparable to Corrin and Dark Pit since he had just as many loud people who liked him.

D

Deleted member

I heard y'all talking about my fitness goddess :4wiifit:

I was mostly laughing about it then she won me over after playing as her during the Best Buy demo.

#BestSmashGirl
I guess you could say that she fits your playstyle.

It's funny how out the hated characters tend to be the last revealed based on Brawl and For. Apparently Melee follows a similar trend but I don't actually know.

Brawl: Everyone hated wolf and ROB. They were pretty much the targets of hate for anyone not satisfied with the roster

When Smash 3DS roster was leaked: Dark Pit and Duck hunt. They were pretty much the targets of hate for anyone not satisfied with the roster (Duck Hunt hate dissipated quickly)

Smash DLC: the later the character, the more they seem to be hated. The veterans got off pretty much free after people saw Roy's update. Ryu was mixed, Cloud was mixed, Bayonetta and Corrin got a LOT of hate on reveal. (Bayonetta hate dissipated quickly)

TLDR
being revealed later increases your chance of being a scapegoat because someone doesn't like the roster, regardless of the quality of the character

Last edited:

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
And the rumors begin!

Hello /vp/! In light of the recent news of new footage on the horizon, I am excited to release new details on the latest trailer me and my team are working on. I am the official camera man and executive producer for this project we have been cooking up. Lets get started!

>The trailer starts out with a bright, large moon, surrounded by clouds (similar to pic related). Then, a large blue bat-like creature that resembles the Moon logo covers the moon, unleashing its signature cry
>Then it cuts to a hilltop, showing the bright sun, while a Manticore lion resembling the Sun logo, skips across the grass in a majestic fashion.
>These scenes are both in CGI format
>Next, the logos appear in detail, followed by shots of gameplay
>This gameplay indeed shows off the starters, trainers, and a few quick shots of new Pokemon including the wire frame bird, and a rock Tiki looking thing using a fire type attack
>The Grass starter looks like a panda, The Fire type resmebles a rabbit, and the Water type is a baby water buffalo
>The trailer is very similar to the X and Y reveal trailer, though with more detail and flare

Following this new trailer, a whole batch of details will release on the official site with artwork of the legendaries and starters.

Believe me or not, a new trailer is coming and should be expected a little before or after April 3rd. Thank you, and take care!
http://boards.4chan.org/vp/thread/25723935/hello-vp-in-light-of-the-recent-news-of-new

It's simple and probably fake, but I like it!
Aside from the Tiki and the Manticore, I swear this sounds like that one really horribly scrawled crayon leak we were all laughing at forever ago.

Same starters, same Moon Legendary.

*EDIT* I'm serious about the starters, too. I can't find the image, but I KNOW it was Fire Rabbit, Water Buffalo, and a really distressed looking Grass creature that looked closest to a panda.

It's the same darn starters with the same darn types.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
This is further supported by someone on that huge glob of text comparing Lucario to Rosalina in a way that implied that they thought it was a bad thing.
This literally happens all of the time.

Like, I lurk Rosalina related threads on 4chan a lot - mostly because some are legitimately fun to watch because of adoration of the character, seeing fan-art that doesn't get posted elsewhere, and even for sometimes obscure trivia and leaks and such (I would NEVER have found out about and been able to get the super rare Rosalina face cloth if I didn't do this).

But of course there are a fair share of threads that are directing salt at the character. And many of these are using that "Nintendo's Lightning" meme, and people ALWAYS bring up Lucario in these discussions, saying he's "Pokémon's Rosalina".

This is regardless of Smash or anything. A small group of people are actually salty that Rosalina is on the front cover of Mario & Sonic at the Rio Olympics. Same thing happened with her being on the disc for Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I don't understand the ______'s Lightning excuse.

Isn't Lightning popular as well?

ChikoLad

Purple Boi

Yes.

The idea that she isn't just comes from the vocal minority who think FFXIII is the worst thing ever.

And also from this weird misconception that's been going around about her being Toriyama's literal waifu, and thinking that he proposed to her with a rose during the reveal of Lightning Returns. But that isn't what happened at all, he was using a rose as a symbol for what direction he is taking the game (can't remember the exact logic behind that, I'd have to look up the original presentation and then look for the specific part).

Ivander

Smash Legend

She is. But the vocal haters did not like the fact her game got 2 sequels and Dissidia 012 was focused around her. Also the rumor that apparently, when Sony asked for Cloud for Playstation All-stars, Square asked for Lightning to be put in instead. So really, the idea behind the meme tends to point to characters who get more attention than other recurring characters who been around for longer.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Aside from the Tiki and the Manticore, I swear this sounds like that one really horribly scrawled crayon leak we were all laughing at forever ago.

Same starters, same Moon Legendary.

*EDIT* I'm serious about the starters, too. I can't find the image, but I KNOW it was Fire Rabbit, Water Buffalo, and a really distressed looking Grass creature that looked closest to a panda.

It's the same darn starters with the same darn types.
You mean this?
photoshopped mac.png

Ignore the little mac joke, I don't have the original, but I'll fix it in a minute.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
She is. But the vocal haters did not like the fact her game got 2 sequels and Dissidia 012 was focused around her. Also the rumor that apparently, when Sony asked for Cloud for Playstation All-stars, Square asked for Lightning to be put in instead. So really, the idea behind the meme tends to point to characters who get more attention than other recurring characters who been around for longer.
No, the idea of the meme is "a character that nobody likes, but their creator has a lot of power in a company and forces them into prominent roles and uses them a lot for the franchises marketing".

With Lightning, everyone thinks Toriyama is forcing her into everything (even though she didn't receive treatment much better than Cloud or any other big FF character).

With Rosalina, everyone thinks Yoshiaki Koizumi is forcing Rosalina into everything (people assume it because he's actually the current producer of the Mario franchise, and was the director of the Galaxy games and created Rosalina).

And an even STUPIDER subset of people think MIYAMOTO of all people is forcing Rosalina.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Other recurring characters. . .

So Mewtwo and Daisy?

Let those two being in the same sentence sink in, guys. :troll:

You mean this?
View attachment 101597

Ignore the little mac joke, I don't have the original, but I'll fix it in a minute.
Yup, that.

I mean. . .look at it.

It's the same starters. It's the same darn starters.

It's probably a coincidence, but MAN.

Last edited:

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
I'm not surprised Miimoto got delayed westside. Meh, I can wait. Maybe I should try the Tomodachi Life demo again (I've heard the two games are similar).

Also, on the SSF2 news, should I know who this Darcy McGuire is (the one voicing Isaac)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom