• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Disney Infinity stuff incoming.

Just purchased Baymax and Rapunzel figures with some leftover birthday money (buy one, get one for a dollar is too good a deal to pass up, and they finally had these guys in stock). Hopefully they should arrive in a few days. Ant-Man and Baloo came recently as well, and I've had a ton of fun playing them. Honestly it's a good thing I'm not a collect-them-all type or I'd be broke. :p My backlog now's just Stitch and Elsa, the former I've put off since he's literally everywhere, and the latter I've put off since she's for some reason nowhere locally. After those two I'll be caught up with the ones I want until Peter Pan comes out this summer.

...And until they add more of the characters from my wishlist. :p

Anyway, character backlash. I think Corrin's hate will scale back when the next game's released and there are some Fire Emblem cuts, but Corrin remains. Calling it. :p

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Disney Infinity stuff incoming.

Just purchased Baymax and Rapunzel figures with some leftover birthday money (buy one, get one for a dollar is too good a deal to pass up, and they finally had these guys in stock). Hopefully they should arrive in a few days. Ant-Man and Baloo came recently as well, and I've had a ton of fun playing them. Honestly it's a good thing I'm not a collect-them-all type or I'd be broke. :p My backlog now's just Stitch and Elsa, the former I've put off since he's literally everywhere, and the latter I've put off since she's for some reason nowhere locally. After those two I'll be caught up with the ones I want until Peter Pan comes out this summer.

...And until they add more of the characters from my wishlist. :p

Anyway, character backlash. I think Corrin's hate will scale back when the next game's released and there are some Fire Emblem cuts, but Corrin remains. Calling it. :p
Either that or he's the one that gets axed and everyone suddenly starts begging for him back.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I was pretty upset with WFT when it happened and to a certain extent I still am though not nearly as much as before. Didn't like the character but then I remembered that Wii Fit was a huge seller for Nintendo so it started to make sense even though I could really do without her.

Rosalina I sorta disliked because I was a pretty big Waluigi supporter. Don't care as much now but I dislike the character's moveset personally.

Was disappointed with L.Mac initially because the idea of there being a boxer in Smash sorta didn't go well with me for some reason. I think it had more to do with my overall dislike of the roster as a whole at that time so my hate was unwarranted here for sure. Same goes with Greninja who I hated because I wanted to see Mewtwo return.

Didn't dislike Robin or Lucina but I was disappointed that Roy didn't return in the base roster before I found out about the Royu leaks the following April.

Dark Pit I don't hate but he really should have been an alt for Pit because he plays quite literally the same. Alph should have been a "free dessert" clone instead of DP because he would have Rock Pikmin to make him unique at least.

Corrin and Bayonetta you guys know how I feel about already and I don't want to go on a rant again. I'll just say this though. Even though I dislike Bayo I can appreciate that she was included because of fan support unlike the former who's inclusion was solely a marketing one. Really didn't sit well with me at the time and the weeks that followed I was absolutely furious and livid. I even had to leave Smashboards for like 2 and a half months because of my frustrations with what happened (though their were other things in my personal life as well so that sorta added on to that) to just get away from Smash Bros and not have to hear about the 2 characters. Still don't like them but I don't want to rain on everyone's parade by saying how much I loathe the characters all the time.

Another thing that bothered me wasn't a character inclusion but rather a character non-inclusion. That being no playable representation for Golden Sun or Advance Wars of course. These are 2 series that absolutely deserve to have playable representation in Smash Bros and it's really a shame that their not represented the way they should be. Golden Sun is a series that's performed well in terms of sales (at the level of FE and even broke a million units before FE did) and is a beloved series by many who want to see the series represented not to mention the moveset potential that can be drawn from the game. Advance Wars also deserves a rep because that's one of the longest running Nintendo franchises (going back to the Wars series on the NES) and it's history even pre-dates FE who ironically enough has 6 playable characters in the game. Whether it's Andy or Sami that get in the game doesn't matter because what really matters is that the series defiantly deserves playable representation. Even with the series not having recent installments, it can still warrant playable representation for the fact that it's a series from Nintendo's past similar to how G&W, R.O.B, and Duck Hunt got in the game.

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Other recurring characters. . .

So Mewtwo and Daisy?

Let those two being in the same sentence sink in, guys. :troll:

Yup, that.

I mean. . .look at it.

It's the same starters. It's the same darn starters.

It's probably a coincidence, but MAN.
Your right, it's kind of funny. I can't post the original though
:(

I have no clue how to remove the transparent images on it. they are on the same layer and I can't get rid of them. the original is gone to. But that one kind of works.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
You know, I just had a thought.

Why do you think that any/the characters that you wanted for Smash but weren't added didn't get in?

Ivander

Smash Legend
No, the idea of the meme is "a character that nobody likes, but their creator has a lot of power in a company and forces them into prominent roles and uses them a lot for the franchises marketing".

With Lightning, everyone thinks Toriyama is forcing her into everything (even though she didn't receive treatment much better than Cloud or any other big FF character).

With Rosalina, everyone thinks Yoshiaki Koizumi is forcing Rosalina into everything (people assume it because he's actually the current producer of the Mario franchise, and was the director of the Galaxy games and created Rosalina).

And an even STUPIDER subset of people think MIYAMOTO of all people is forcing Rosalina.
Yeah, that was my intent with the bit of "characters who get more attention than other recurring characters who been around for longer." But I didn't have enough time to describe it more since I had to come off for a bit. Was basically trying to type stuff quickly and didn't exactly type what was also needed to be said before coming off.
Regardless, what I did manage to type does describe the people who don't like it when their favorite character is tossed aside in favor of another and thus are bitter, go on a rant, cry about it, etc. And really, there are a lot of those people.

Why do you think that any/the characters that you wanted for Smash but weren't added didn't get in?
Weren't remembered or wanted, saw little potential in them or maybe aren't even known. Pretty descriptive for the majority of my wants.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Dominoes pizza just sent me an add saying "same great flavor, less dough!"

Are they trying to pull off having smaller pizzas as a good thing?

Idk if that's what they are even saying but it sounds like it

Burruni

Smash Hero

Ganon's been shoved aside in promotion as a big bad for Ganondorf ever since OoT and hasn't carved in enough of a stake yet.
Waluigi is still just a side character.
K. Rool didn't have something relevant to boost him up.
Rhythm Heaven's not big enough yet for a fighter.
Cloud Strife's a bigger name than Black Mage.
Indie characters didn't have enough push internationally to ever really stand a chance.
Bandana Dee's not got enough of a fanbase outside of japan.
Anna got overshadowed by flavor of the month protags partially because they're icons for the two biggest games of the seasons.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
It's funny how out the hated characters tend to be the last revealed based on Brawl and For. Apparently Melee follows a similar trend but I don't actually know.

Brawl: Everyone hated wolf and ROB. They were pretty much the targets of hate for anyone not satisfied with the roster

When Smash 3DS roster was leaked: Dark Pit and Duck hunt. They were pretty much the targets of hate for anyone not satisfied with the roster (Duck Hunt hate dissipated quickly)

Smash DLC: the later the character, the more they seem to be hated. The veterans got off pretty much free after people saw Roy's update. Ryu was mixed, Cloud was mixed, Bayonetta and Corrin got a LOT of hate on reveal. (Bayonetta hate dissipated quickly)

TLDR
being revealed later increases your chance of being a scapegoat because someone doesn't like the roster, regardless of the quality of the character
That doesn't seem too surprising. The more fans are aware that they are nearing the end of the road, the more they start clinging on to their hopes that their favourite character is being "saved for last" only for someone else to end up being confirmed instead and crushing their dreams even harder than any of the earlier characters did. And thus the last characters tend to be used as the main scape goat for why their favourites didn't make it in. Bonus points if they are a clone character.....

It's why the Melee clones, Wolf and R.O.B. (And a bit of Toon Link and Lucario) in Brawl and Dr. Mario, Dark Pit and Corrin (And a bit of Cloud and Bayonetta) in Smash 4 received the most of that burden throughout the games.

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804

Accurate Portrayals
Konami being Konami
Irrelevancy/Lack of recency/Unimportant
Little demand

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo

Because Sakurai was out to get me. Yes, just me.
He specifically did not include the characters I wanted just to spite me and me only.

Viridi: 4th character from a small franchise
Not popular
Had 2 other more popular character before her
Potentially moveset issues (Although it wouldn't be too hard with simple artistic liberties)

Ridley:
You know the answer

Wonder Red:
Game sold like ass
Potentially impossile moveset

Dixie Kong:
Not relevant
Potentially too similar to Diddy

Phoenix Wright, Sora, Edea Lee, and other 3rd parties:
Liscensing

SMX kind of went over reeactions to characters. Thought others would follow suit but they didnt but I already wrote this

Mega Man: The only mega man games i've played are X7 and Command Mission (the RPG). Needless to say my hype wasn't as much as most people's AND someone told me before I could see it so. . .

Villager: I wanted him so bad in melee. Was also spoiled so I wasn't exactly hype about it, as much as I should have been. Stil mad there is no fishing rod in his moveset

Wii Fit Trainer: I expected her so I kind of just laughed a little when I saw her reveal. It wasn't until FatManOnIce's mini-rant here about WFT that I really gave her a chance though. Probably one of my favorite additions now

Rosalina: was awesome on release because she was one of my faorite mario characters at the time. Her moveset and a few things I won't mention because no one wants that argument has made me care for her inclsuin much MUCH less than initially.

Little Mac: Was straight up my most wanted charcter. The fat he used the hoodie AND Doc showed up blew my mind. Those were things I wanted so so so so so so so SOOOOOO badly. And I got them both. I was unbelievably hyped for that one. Would have been more hype if it weren't for the fact that he was the only character I saw as a shoo-in initially other than Villager and WFT

Robin and Lucina: At the time they were my second and third most wanted (1st was Ridley)

I assumed they were no-hopers because of Chrom. I made inhuman noises that day from hype. Still my second most hype reveal and I rewatced that reveal quite a few times by now

Palutena: The anime reference made me so happy. I really wanted Palutena at the time ( I think I was midway through Uprising or just beat it?) too bad her moveset is ass and she is only fun in customs, which no one plays. Dissapointing.

Greninja: THAT'S NOT MEWTWO!!!11!!!11!
Got over it because ninja frog. Now I think he is cool

Shulk: I had gotten pretty far into the game and knew I loved the game. This was a fun reveal and i'm mad he was leaked because I can guarantee I would have loved it. I mained him for pretty much the entire 3DS lifetime and all the way until Cloud reveal so. . .yeah I liked him

:4pacman: IT'S ****ING PAC MAN. Pac Land is dumb. Pac Maze is awesome. Pac Man was who I intended to main before release. He was my very first character I played other then the demo. I used his f air once and saw it do nothing and didn't touch him again for a long time.

Bowser . . . . .. Jr.: My most wanted for Brawl but I totally forgot about him. The clown Kart was better than anything I thought of involving the paint brush.

Miis: *sigh* was one of my least wanted but I knew they were inevitable by the time E# rolled around. I genuinely think they are the worst handled character ever added to smash. Their movesets are generic and they have horrendous implementation. They have a huge focus on customization that there is no way to use easily. They also can't be used online for reasons that are downright illogical. If I could play them maybe I wouldn't hate them. But it seems like no one wants people to play them. Swordfighters and mii costumes are pretty cool though.

Dark Pit: At the time, I pretty much wanted any Kid Icarus character not named Magnus. I got one. I was excited. based on the fact I defended Dark Pit every time he was insulted (which was really hard to do in the Ridley thread which hated him) and the fact I changed my sig to defend him I would think it's apparent I liked his inclusion. Fun character too. Same with his light counterpart.

DuckK Hunt: ALL I could think was "Awww he is so adorable! Plus ducks are cool!" I'm mad he doesn't ave the laugh and his moveset is wayyyyy too awkward for me but he is still cool to have even if I never touch him

Mewtwo: it's mewtwo. lol. Him being terrible made me stay away. I should try him again after the buffs maybe. Stil nice to have though

Roy: ROYS OUR BOY ROYS OUR BOY ROYS OUR BOY. I wanted him so badly. I was so happy when he got leaked. I was even happier when we saw his awesome new look and new moves. So good. Makes me wish he wasn't leaked.

Lucas: Lucas was probably my most played in Brawl. He CAME OUTTA NOWHERE and was awesome. I can't play him now that I do more than spam smashes and specials but i'm just happy I can see him in the roster. (Mother 3 when?)

Ryu: Never thought about him. Cool character. Can't really get behind his moveset. Feels too weird for me.

Cloud: My most hype moment in smash ever. My favorite character to ever be added to smash. Period. #1. Imagine if I had played FF7 BEFORE then. So hype and still my favorite moment in smash (that I can think of)

Corrin: I laughed. I straight up laughed. I have not played Fates. I have not bought Corrin. I do not have an opinion on them other than the fact i'm happy because I hate the "reps" thing being such a focal point of smash speculation and am happy it got a swift kick in the face.

Bayonetta: People know by now I was not happy. All speculation surrounding her was obnoxoius. The people that happened to talk about her (sometimes here sometimes other sites) were annoying way too often for me to handle. One of 4 or 5 characters I downright didn't want to see. Like Corrin, have not bought her because I haven't been playing much smash. Played Bayo 1 and I don't hate her anymore but she is still towards the bottom for newcomers for me. But now it is a much more positive outook

TLDR Smash 4's roster is ****ing amazing

Last edited:

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
Coricus Coricus

Rayman wasn't included because Sakurai got drunk one night and accidentally made him a trophy instead of a character /s

Last edited:

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
*Tries to decipher title*

E. . .ver. . .y. . .one. . .but. . .Ridley.

. . .

. . .Uh.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I hope it's not a long recovery process for this thread after the stroke it seems to have just experienced. :x

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Snake didn't get in because Konami.

Dunno why Rayman didn't get in, maybe because he isn't Japanese made/not overly relevant in Japan, and possibly because of bad blood with Ubisoft not making much for the Wii U anymore. He got a trophy though, as well as two of his friends getting one, so I really don't know. I feel like the reaction to the Artsy Omni leak, SHOULD have made it clear that a LOT of people thought he'd be a cool addition, especially for the DLC phase.

I legit think Sora is a possible character that might have got more votes than Bayonetta but wasn't "realisable". He's the only character that jumps to mind for me regarding this that isn't a meme character/non-video game character (as I do doubt those were the only "non-realisable" choices), as I saw a very big following for him both in and out of the Smash community. And it would be because of Disney in this case. I could see Disney letting Sora in if not for the fact that Sora's signature Keyblade, the Kingdom Key, has the Mickey Mouse head logo as it's Keychain. So that will always be a barrier for him, unfortunately.

Captain Toad probably just didn't have quite enough of a following, but they must have been at least a bit aware, as there was a Smash related promotion for Captain Toad in Japan.

Professor Layton may have had a problem in the sense that his series is on a hiatus, so they don't really want to do anything with him right now.

With Wolf, I really don't know. I still feel like he was a no-brainer. Like I can't think of a legit reason why he wouldn't be here. "Clone" doesn't work because he never really was one, and we have Falco. Plus Roy was made to be much less of a clone. He has a wider appeal and is more well known in general than characters like Roy and Lucas ("Can't you do that, Star Fox!" is like, one of the most iconic Star Fox quotes). And he adds another villain/morally gray character to the roster, which Smash obviously lacks. And of course, he was a veteran, so they had a moveset already drawn up. And relevancy isn't a factor, because he's gonna be in Star Fox: Zero, and that was confirmed at E3 2015 (and really, was there ever any doubt he would be, when they announced a new Star Fox game during E3 2014?). For DLC at least, he definitely didn't have a relevancy issue.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
I thought the new thread title was a cryptogram at first.... Anyway just hatched this beauty!
WIN_20160326_19_34_23_Pro.jpg

4ivs, not to bad! I love the colors on it.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain

Bandana Dee: Probably didn't have enough important roles? That, or Super Star Sakubias.
Magolor: Basically the same, but worse.
Ridley: Too big, can't fly around freely a.k.a crappy excuses.
Shy Guy: Unlike Bandana Dee, this is literally just a generic enemy XD
King Boo: I don't know, too random probably, I hope Luigi's Mansion 3 solves that.
Bomberman: Konami.
Pichu: Unpopular joke character.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
And so the wait continues for someone to make sense of the title. :p

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Snake didn't get in because Konami.

Dunno why Rayman didn't get in, maybe because he isn't Japanese made/not overly relevant in Japan, and possibly because of bad blood with Ubisoft not making much for the Wii U anymore. He got a trophy though, as well as two of his friends getting one, so I really don't know. I feel like the reaction to the Artsy Omni leak, SHOULD have made it clear that a LOT of people thought he'd be a cool addition, especially for the DLC phase.

I legit think Sora is a possible character that might have got more votes than Bayonetta but wasn't "realisable". He's the only character that jumps to mind for me regarding this that isn't a meme character/non-video game character (as I do doubt those were the only "non-realisable" choices), as I saw a very big following for him both in and out of the Smash community. And it would be because of Disney in this case. I could see Disney letting Sora in if not for the fact that Sora's signature Keyblade, the Kingdom Key, has the Mickey Mouse head logo as it's Keychain. So that will always be a barrier for him, unfortunately.

Captain Toad probably just didn't have quite enough of a following, but they must have been at least a bit aware, as there was a Smash related promotion for Captain Toad in Japan.

Professor Layton may have had a problem in the sense that his series is on a hiatus, so they don't really want to do anything with him right now.

With Wolf, I really don't know. I still feel like he was a no-brainer. Like I can't think of a legit reason why he wouldn't be here. "Clone" doesn't work because he never really was one, and we have Falco. Plus Roy was made to be much less of a clone. He has a wider appeal and is more well known in general than characters like Roy and Lucas ("Can't you do that, Star Fox!" is like, one of the most iconic Star Fox quotes). And he adds another villain/morally gray character to the roster, which Smash obviously lacks. And of course, he was a veteran, so they had a moveset already drawn up. And relevancy isn't a factor, because he's gonna be in Star Fox: Zero, and that was confirmed at E3 2015 (and really, was there ever any doubt he would be, when they announced a new Star Fox game during E3 2014?). For DLC at least, he definitely didn't have a relevancy issue.
The subject of why Wolf wasn't included is actually something I've been thinking on for a little while now.

The closest I can gather is that he had a positively miniscule amount of fanart and fanfiction compared to said Roy and Lucas, Roy had one of the top 5 largest support bases from what I could tell prior to E3 2013, and Lucas has the whole Mother 3 rallying thing going on. That while Wolf is more popular in general, he may have been less popular or at least less rallied for in the Smash fandom than the veterans they actually went with.

That said, the sheer number of people upset that Wolf didn't get in and the sheer number of people expecting him before the last two Smash content videos is a pretty strong indicator of how much he was wanted, it's just that these things were after the remaining characters were already decided and being worked on.

I could very well see him cropping up in the next game either in general or as the ringleader of the next DLC season because the demand for him has very quickly risen beyond that of nearly any other character in our vocal minority and his moveset doesn't have any kind of complication connected to it like whatever the heck was up with Mewtwo's wonky coding or. . .whatever complication was going on at one point that people digging into past Smash files noticed.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
The title could mean a lot of things.

It could mean that I'll win one million bucks tomorrow.

It could contain secret NX leaks.

It could even be the written out pronunciation of a wild animal's screech.

... Or it could mean Swamp.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
The subject of why Wolf wasn't included is actually something I've been thinking on for a little while now.

The closest I can gather is that he had a positively miniscule amount of fanart and fanfiction compared to said Roy and Lucas, Roy had one of the top 5 largest support bases from what I could tell prior to E3 2013, and Lucas has the whole Mother 3 rallying thing going on. That while Wolf is more popular in general, he may have been less popular or at least less rallied for in the Smash fandom than the veterans they actually went with.

That said, the sheer number of people upset that Wolf didn't get in and the sheer number of people expecting him before the last two Smash content videos is a pretty strong indicator of how much he was wanted, it's just that these things were after the remaining characters were already decided and being worked on.

I could very well see him cropping up in the next game either in general or as the ringleader of the next DLC season because the demand for him has very quickly risen beyond that of nearly any other character in our vocal minority and his moveset doesn't have any kind of complication connected to it like whatever the heck was up with Mewtwo's wonky coding or. . .whatever complication was going on at one point that people digging into past Smash files noticed.
>Wolf
>Lack of fanart and fanfiction

Ohohoho there's pleeeeenty of Wolf fanart and fanfiction. In more ways than one.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...

I've personally seen plenty of fan art for Wolf in the past. Mainly involving him with the other Starfox crew or villain characters, Toon Link and Jigglypuff, just hanging out with the other characters in a "Smash Mansion" and the countless Landmaster jokes as far as Smash is concerned.....

He may have been a low priority again for Smash 4 I would assume since Sakurai had a few more characters he wanted to include but couldn't due to time constraints and all....

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Well I tried all the cryptogram de coders I could find, and got nothing....

Good Game Opossum, good game!

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304

Midna-I like to think its because of poor timing, not because she's a one-off character...if Twilight Princess was released a year or two earlier she may have snuck into Brawl's roster...and her recent ressurgance in relevance with Hyrule Warriors, TPHD, the amiibo, and the still plausible Zelda U appearance came a bit too late for Smash 4...And then there's her assist trophy...

Dark Samus-its a little puzzeling why she was passed over during Brawl given the fact she was already well established from Echoes as well as appearing in a game on the way...Perhaps due to the fact Retro studios is located in Texas and Sakurai likely didn't put her high enough in priority to go see the developers (since he likes to refer with the character's creators for moveset ideas) while he's busy...that's really the only reason that makes sense, as any other argument doesn't seem to make a good enough case for me...And then there's her assist trophy...

Just my luck, my two most wanted both had their best opportunity in Brawl and are now both assist trophies...*sighs*

WaddleKing

Smash Ace
NNID
Nassim250

Meowth: Lack of interest to go back to previous gens and add a character from there now.

King K. Rool: DK series while selling huge, may just be a side series for Mario in Sakurai's eyes and the fact K.Rool hasn't been seen for awhile of course.
Takamaru: Too obscure according to Sakurai.
Sukapon: Gonna guess not interested and too obscure.
Paper Mario: Found Bowser Jr. ( who was a character i wanted ) and Rosalina more interesting.
Magolor/Bandana Dee: Lack of interest to add more Kirby characters and thinks we're all set with the 3 we already have.
Just a few of the characters i really wanted that i could think of on the top of my head.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom