• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
No face buttons sounds stupid to me. You can feel when you press a button, you can't feel when you press something on a touch screen.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
I don't see what's wrong with just releasing a normal controller. Sony and Microsoft have been doing that and it's not like it lowers their business. It's almost like theirs a mentality at Nintendo that all their consoles have to have some gimmick for the controller.
At this point I'm pretty sure it's a desire to be able to continue to port games from all the other handhelds and systems that have had this control scheme.

It's basically either tack on a touch screen or kiss three systems worth of games goodbye.

At any rate, I can't help but feel like the reactions in this thread are a bit overblown. Being skeptical is one thing, but "Touch screen controller?! RUINED FOREVER" seems like a bit much of a reaction when we don't even know how it handles, how it displays, or what games it's going to play. All we know is that we won't have that nostalgic feeling of clicking down a button anymore, which while regrettable shouldn't instantly ruin EVERYONE's gameplay experience to the extent that the reactions here seem to imply.

And this isn't even covering the fact that Nintendo has in the past and likely WILL release an alternative controller that works just like those on other systems. Yes, you have to pay extra, but it's still likely going to be an option, complete with buttons and all.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Does anyone know if the NX is backwards compatible with Wii U games?

You forget Miyamoto is involved with Nintendo. The same guy who said F Zero would need new controls
Hah, good point. Maybe this will be our saving grace for finally getting a new F-Zero game.

In any case i'm still dissatisfied that they would release a control like this as the console's main controller. Not that I would hate the controller but it's something that should be an accessory or something. Either that or maybe their should be a standard controller bundled in as well. At the bare minimum make it backwards compatible with Wii and Wii U controllers. Don't want to have to play Smash Bros with that controller.

And this isn't even covering the fact that Nintendo has in the past and likely WILL release an alternative controller that works just like those on other systems. Yes, you have to pay extra, but it's still likely going to be an option, complete with buttons and all.
If their hell bent on doing that then they can at least do what I said in the above and make the Wii Classic Controller and the Wii U Pro Controller backwards compatible.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

18 new megas. One of which is a pikachu,
I'm now convinced this is legit because GF keeps thinking of ways to **** Raichu
Evil team is made up of members of an ancient tribe, and beings who think they are extraterrestrial.
This is actually a pretty cool concept
There aren't even straws to be grasped

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
18 new megas. One of which is a pikachu, which you get in Kanto. Only one able to mega evolve. Kanto has two more events then the other regions
Good Lord. If this is actually true...

That's because we haven't had Mega Pikachu yet. After that then we call it "Pikachu And A Few Other Creatures".
Substitution said:
I still firmly believe they'll do a Mega Pikachu before Mega Raichu. Sure, it's always been the final evolution, but with all the things they do for the little rodent, I'm surprised they didn't do it sooner.
Substitution said:
As much as I'd want this to be a rule, I also know Nintendo.
They'll most likely give Pikachu a Mega Evolution. Just watch.
I just want to say I ****ing called it.

At this point I'm pretty sure it's a desire to be able to continue to port games from all the other handhelds and systems that have had this control scheme.

It's basically either tack on a touch screen or kiss three systems worth of games goodbye.

At any rate, I can't help but feel like the reactions in this thread are a bit overblown. Being skeptical is one thing, but "Touch screen controller?! RUINED FOREVER" seems like a bit much of a reaction when we don't even know how it handles, how it displays, or what games it's going to play. All we know is that we won't have that nostalgic feeling of clicking down a button anymore, which while regrettable shouldn't instantly ruin EVERYONE's gameplay experience to the extent that the reactions here seem to imply.

Personally, I think it's justified.
No, I don't want some gimmick on my controller. I don't need bells and whistles to be blown away by it. Just give a damn controller I can use.

I mean I'm sorry I don't like having to pay something extra for a controller that works. But there's a reason why most companies stick to what has worked for years.

Because sometimes reinventing the wheel isn't needed. The wheel works just fine.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Someone in the GAF thread made this gameplay mockup.

I know it's not real, but... this isn't helping.
If it helps any, the screen doesn't extend all the way across from what I can tell.

It only goes about halfway across the touch pads on either side and then ends, leaving the circular portions as hand rests.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
If it helps any, the screen doesn't extend all the way across from what I can tell.

It only goes about halfway across the touch pads on either side and then ends, leaving the circular portions as hand rests.
Yeah... That still doesn't help.
By the looks of it it's slightly taller than the average computer mouse, so even then it'd be like playing Smash 3DS on an even smaller screen.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Theirs no way they would do something like this without having the option of using a more traditional controller for games. Really.

In any case I hope this year's E3 goes beyond everyone's expectations. More so Nintendo who really needs to have a great showing following last year's disappointing E3 Digital Event.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
I'm now convinced this is legit because GF keeps thinking of ways to **** Raichu

This is actually a pretty cool concept

There aren't even straws to be grasped
I've said it since XY, Mega Pikachu will definitely happen as he's the mascot. Not to mention they've done this to

Mega Pikachu EX. IT will happen...

The evil team sounds pretty neat and all of their info fits with what we know l already. I want to believe, but will be sad when it's probably fake...

Good Lord. If this is actually true...

I just want to say I ****ing called it.

Personally, I think it's justified.
No, I don't want some gimmick on my controller. I don't need bells and whistles to be blown away by it. Just give a damn controller I can use.

I mean I'm sorry I don't like having to pay something extra for a controller that works. But there's a reason why most companies stick to what has worked for years.

Because sometimes reinventing the wheel isn't needed. The wheel works just fine.
It's going to happen... Pikachu's just that special.....

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
And the best part? Raichu will continue to be kicked into the dust.
Like I've always found that depressing. How is it that the evolution to the freaking mascot is one of the most underrated Pokemon out there? It's sorcery I tell you.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
This is my concept of the Nintendo NX and how it could be done to solve the lack of button input:

I think there are solutions to the problem being had right now.
Yes I know, I know the GC controller idea is kind of stupid, but Smash was obviously the first thing that popped for the idea.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
I went ahead and did a side by side mockup of the NX controller to the Wii U Gamepad.

It's not a perfect representation of the photos, but I feel it better shows what it's going to look like than seeing it at an angle with a ton of light glare.

The actual thing is a bit slimmer, but otherwise I think it's pretty close. . .ish.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
This is my concept of the Nintendo NX and how it could be done to solve the lack of button input:

Yes I know, I know the GC controller idea is kind of stupid, but Smash was obviously the first thing that popped for the idea.
...A button case would be a good idea, as the reason people criticized the lack of buttons is because you don't feel the impact

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Guys, I have a question. Should I keep trying to beat XCX's final boss despite it being annoying as ****, or should I just simply look it up on YT. There's nothing else I can do at this point
If you aren't having fun with the boss, don't feel you are able to beat it, and don't want to grind levels or anything like that, just look it up on YouTube. It's not worth stressing yourself out over if you don't enjoy it.

I have my doubts this idea would be feasible with current technology, and I could see some potential problems with it from a marketing standpoint, but I think this is a fantastic idea from the perspective of someone who is probably going buy the NX regardless. Good job!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Guys, I have a question. Should I keep trying to beat XCX's final boss despite it being annoying as ****, or should I just simply look it up on YT. There's nothing else I can do at this point
Git gud
I've said it since XY, Mega Pikachu will definitely happen as he's the mascot. Not to mention they've done this to

Mega Pikachu EX. IT will happen...

The evil team sounds pretty neat and all of their info fits with what we know l already. I want to believe, but will be sad when it's probably fake...

Now I want a Mega Pikachu, but only if he uses the skin of Charizard Y as a costume like in this card

Last edited by a moderator:

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336

So a customizable controller?
Not a bad idea, actually.

D

Deleted member

YOU FIGHT THAT ****** AND GIT GUD. I'LL HAVE YOU KNOW I'VE GOT ALL OBTAINABLE POKEMON IN XY AND MORE!
I'm also pretty good at Dark Souls for a newbie from what I hear
Instead of spending your time catching Pokemon, use it to git gud and beat the final boss
It probably isn't even that hard

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
So Nintendo wants to trademark the Mario coin sound.

No, I'm not kidding.

http://www.gonintendo.com/stories/2...o-trademark-the-super-mario-coin-sound-effect
This doesn't even sound as dumb as how they're only doing this now
Instead of spending your time catching Pokemon, use it to git gud and beat the final boss
It probably isn't even that hard
5 phases. Phase 2 has 7 bosses who take 1 damage in Skells. Remember, 2500 HP is normal for weak enemies. The 7 bosses can make the target invincible, can buff it and heal it. Lose a Skell, it's not coming back

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
#SourceGamingFasterThanGameXplain

I agree with a lot of the things stated in this video. It does seem to be designed in a much sleeker manner in order to appeal to casuals, and I'm also waiting until I see how the thing actually runs before making any real positive or negative judgements on it.

The possibility of tactile technology being implemented also sounds like it would be really interesting if it was part of the controller.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
And the best part? Raichu will continue to be kicked into the dust.
Like I've always found that depressing. How is it that the evolution to the freaking mascot is one of the most underrated Pokemon out there? It's sorcery I tell you.
It really does suck, because raichu is cool and deserving.

Git gud

Now I want a Mega Pikachu, but only if he uses the skin of Charizard Y as a costume like in this card
Imagine, he's triple typed. After slaying a charziard pikachu taps into it's inner psychopath and harnesses it's ghostly power to use the charziard's skin as a vessel to shoot fire, and electricity.

Fire/ghost/electric
with levitate lol.

So Nintendo wants to trademark the Mario coin sound.

No, I'm not kidding.

http://www.gonintendo.com/stories/2...o-trademark-the-super-mario-coin-sound-effect
This honestly isn't that bad imo. they made they sound first, it's fair enough and not major.

Where did you get this?

And the wii Cross, that name is decent enough to be true....

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Man, I'm really enjoying Killer Instinct. And it's nice that the bundle came with enhanced ports of the original two arcade games (and I have the N64 port of KI2 via Rare Replay).

I just wish I could use my Street Fighter IV FightPad on this game...

And Season 3 officially starts this Tuesday!

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
So our good friend/enemy/whatever you want to call him Tama is claiming the controller leak is fake.

Take this how you will.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
I'm not going to kick up a fuss about the controller, but if they use the Wii name AGAIN I'm going to wonder who on earth thinks naming these things after the same decade old console over and over again is a good idea.

This does seem to be missing a joystick, be a fatter design, and is a VERY blurry picture, though, so the possibility of it being either fake OR outdated exists.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom