• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Also this pretty much confirms Zelda U being on NX as well. (not like it wasn't already)

I don't think they would shut down a console that has a ZELDA game upcoming unless there was another way to get it :p

Last edited:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
It's sad to see the Wii U go, but most of us were already predicting it and honestly I can see why.

Hopefully Nintendo will learn from the problems that plagued Wii U with the NX. One can hope...

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
Like...
I can't help but really feel like DKCR3 is happening this year.

The anniversary.
The kinda hallow "makes sense" trilogy standpoint because it was what rare did.
The big successes of the two returns titles
But... most of all.

E3 2015.
Retro says they have a game ready to unveil
And during one part... (the last real "scene" for nintendo broadcasts to star Iwata)

A call back to one of the previous E3 confrences.
Like...
Maybe my memory's just wrong but wasn't the original banana holding tied to Tropical Freeze's announcement?

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
The Wii U had some really impressive games, and it's unfortunate it didn't get the sales it deserved.

I do hope this was a learning experience for Nintendo, and that the NX will definitely impress.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
I... I just can't believe this.

I know the Wii U was struggling but enough to pull the plug early?

I'll just wait for additional news as I don't know could possibly happen next.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
The Wii U had the best exclusive line-up by far, between the three consoles.

It's problems were the terrible marketing, lack of features, and Nintendo just being tone deaf, even with software (Paper Mario: Colour Splash being the latest example).

There's obviously more, but those are the first that come to mind.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
The weather in my area has been all over the place and it's tearing my body apart.

I'm one of those people that is affected by changes in weather

One day it's storming, one day it's super cold, one day it's hot and sunny.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I mean, I'm pretty much still gonna be playing the Wii U for a while since I usually don't buy a console upon its launch (literally hasn't happened yet with any console)...unless the NX will blow me away with its line-up (literally all they need is a Metroid Prime 4 tbh)...

Though the lack of support the system will get by then will suck however...

wedl!!

Goddess of Storms
NNID
Plushies4Ever
This reminds me!

I still need to repair my gamepad screen. It's been almost a year and I've had the parts since December, but my parents still need to give my uncle it to fix it... >.>

Anyways, sad to see the Wii U go. Hopefully the NX has less fragile gimmicks and more third party support.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
This surprises me... not even a little. The Wii U was basically an exercise in how not to handle a console. Which is a shame because at its core, it's not a bad little machine, Nintendo just made too many dumb decisions. Hopefully they've learned from their mistakes.

That said, when I look back on the Wii U, there really aren't that many experiences that stand out. Sure there are great games, but with an exception here and there like Splatoon, SMM, Pokken, and... uh... maybe Platinum's contributions, it really just seems like more of the same. I wouldn't say the quality has dipped (other than in this last year which I attribute to Nintendo leaving the Wii U high and dry for the sake of the NX), but I would say the creativity and innovation has. Nintendo didn't exactly shake things up with the majority of their titles.

Hey, here's another SM3D, here's another NSMB, here's another DKC, here's another Canvas Curse, here's another Starfox 64, here's another Kart, here's another Smash, here's another Mario Party, here's another Zelda remake. You want an original Zelda? Well we put a very nice coat of paint on Dynasty Warriors. Pikmin, Woolly World and Xenoblade as well, but I won't whine about those as much since it had either been a while since we got a title in those series, or because the series was relatively small anyway. Though they also were by no means game-changers.

I'm aware this is in no part a trend exclusive to Nintendo, it's just that usually they seem a bit better than that, at least in the fact that they'll even out their straightforward sequels with more experimental, innovative, or divergent affair.

Radiohead put it best: "This is our new song. Just like the last one". :/

Here's to more breaths of fresh air like Splatoon with the NX, hey?

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
The next trend in video game consoles seems to be upgrading the same console like how cell phone companies release new models of cell phones each year.

Sony, XBOXX and Nintendo have both talked about this. Sony is already planning on a PS 4.5

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Well it looks like I bought a Wii U in it's last year of service.

I suppose it's for the best that I didn't buy a very big digital library for it, then. Hopefully it's backwards compatible and the low Wii U userbase means they can get away with keeping online active for a while so I can still get some mileage out of my physical copies of SMM, XCX, and Pokken Tournament in case the launch selection ends up not being to my tastes. Those built-in copies of Smash and Splatoon, the VC versions of Golden Sun and Earthbound, and that copy of Brawl I got just to see what SSE and the cut characters were like aren't going to be able to migrate, but oh well.

Here's to hoping that the NX is named something that doesn't sound like an expansion pack of an existing system, has a gimmick aside from the touch screen (that's basically required in order to be backwards compatible with the past generation of systems and past two generations of handhelds) so the casuals don't instantly assume their iPad is the same thing and move on, and a selection of launch titles that makes me on the edge of my seat with hype instead of mufflingly indifferent and willing to procrastinate until the system's lifespan is almost over before I pick it up.

Also better commercials. "Wii would like to play with you" is still burned into my memory to this day even as a kid who never bought a Wii. The Wii U commercials had nothing notable about them at all and just seemed. . .there.

The "Settle It In Smash" campaign is a good example of a commercial run for an individual game that was pretty good, which looking at several past commercials yesterday was better than both the extension of the "Wii would like to play with you" gimmick and the . . .edgy. . .Melee commercial in terms of how much they got my attention (nothing beats people beating each other up in a field of flowers while wearing mascot costumes, though. NOTHING.), but that was just one game and even then they probably could have done much better. Like, by bringing back the costumes. And more costumes.

The Mario and Sonic games used costumes in the commercials for a while and that worked.

Costumes are the best.

*EDIT* Actually, Settle It did have a couple costumes, didn't it? Those were the best parts. We need mascot costumes, though. Those are better.

Last edited:

wedl!!

Goddess of Storms
NNID
Plushies4Ever
The next trend in video game consoles seems to be upgrading the same console like how cell phone companies release new models of cell phones each year.

Sony, XBOXX and Nintendo have both talked about this. Sony is already planning on a PS 4.5
That trend isn't new.

It was done in the seventh generation. The mini Wii and slim PS3/360 follow the same principle, as do the numerous editions of the DS family.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Tbh if anyone should feel burned it's people who bought the system this year or last and haven't gotten much use out of it. Not people who likely bought it at or soon after it released and have since gotten a fair amount of use out of it. Which I assume is the majority of people here.

The Wii U is my least-played Nintendo console ever, including handhelds (other than the stupid Virtual Boy which hurt my eyes), but I'm not gonna complain about feeling shortchanged with its four-year lifespan, I got my $250 out of it many times over.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885

That trend isn't new.

It was done in the seventh generation. The mini Wii and slim PS3/360 follow the same principle, as do the numerous editions of the DS family.
Those had the same hardware though. They didn't make mini wii specific games

It's more like the 3DS and N3DS

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
The "Settle It In Smash" campaign is a good example of a commercial run for an individual game that was pretty good, which looking at several past commercials yesterday was better than both the extension of the "Wii would like to play with you" gimmick and the . . .edgy. . .Melee commercial in terms of how much they got my attention (nothing beats people beating each other up in a field of flowers while wearing mascot costumes, though. NOTHING.), but that was just one game and even then they probably could have done much better. Like, by bringing back the costumes. And more costumes.

The Mario and Sonic games used costumes in the commercials for a while and that worked.

Costumes are the best.
Wasn't that Smash 64's commercial?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

That trend isn't new.

Those were just redesigns though, for the most part they didn't change the gaming experience like the PS4.5 or N3DS have the potential to do.

Edit: Yeah.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I've got a funny question.

How old were you the first time you discovered the internet

I think I was like, 12

Edit: NO, now that I think about it. I was probably more like 9. Because I knew about it when pokemon was out and I got pokemon when I was 10

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
They don't often announce major new Pokemon stuff on E3 do they? At least from what I recall, Gamefreak and the Pokemon Company usually tend to do their own thing and announce new things to their games on their own time and streams or through Coro Coro. I could be wrong though.....
If there's a mainline pokemon game( and sometimes spinoffs) that falls within the window of E3, they go all out for it.

For XY they announced fairy and had a big in depth trailer. ORAS had a trailer to, but since they are remakes they didn't do a massive promotion of them.

But for Sun and Moon, I'd expect a huge trailer.

As for the Wii U news, sad to see it go, but the nX could be fun to. Surprised they revealed this so soon.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Y'know... there's one really interesting thing about that commercial.

The line up.

You have Mario, Mr. Nintendo, someone who has to be in the top 5 fictional characters for recognizability with Mickey Mouse and Pac Man.
You have DK, fresh off the MASSIVE success of the Country trilogy and even getting the recent cartoon. The namesake for the game that really put Nintendo on the map.
You have Yoshi, the... "sidekick" of sorts to Mario that was on a sizable upswing with Yoshi's Island, Tetris Attack, and Yoshi's Story just behind them.
Which... is a little bit odd, considering, that they didn't have Link after the boon of Ocarina of Time but that could be chalked up to being unable to fit the "suit" theme and would look more out of place but it was basically the #2 series of Nintendo from the NES on.
But most interesting...

You have Pikachu, the mascot character for the VERY recent series for Nintendo that caught like a wildfire that couldn't have been predicted. A character that was only 3 years old HEADLINING the crossover project.

I feel like that really just states the eruptive force Pokemon had when it started.

D

Deleted member

Well it looks like I bought a Wii U in it's last year of service.

I suppose it's for the best that I didn't buy a very big digital library for it, then. Hopefully it's backwards compatible and the low Wii U userbase means they can get away with keeping online active for a while so I can still get some mileage out of my physical copies of SMM, XCX, and Pokken Tournament in case the launch selection ends up not being to my tastes. Those built-in copies of Smash and Splatoon, the VC versions of Golden Sun and Earthbound, and that copy of Brawl I got just to see what SSE and the cut characters were like aren't going to be able to migrate, but oh well.

Here's to hoping that the NX is named something that doesn't sound like an expansion pack of an existing system, has a gimmick aside from the touch screen (that's basically required in order to be backwards compatible with the past generation of systems and past two generations of handhelds) so the casuals don't instantly assume their iPad is the same thing and move on, and a selection of launch titles that makes me on the edge of my seat with hype instead of mufflingly indifferent and willing to procrastinate until the system's lifespan is almost over before I pick it up.

Also better commercials. "Wii would like to play with you" is still burned into my memory to this day even as a kid who never bought a Wii. The Wii U commercials had nothing notable about them at all and just seemed. . .there.

Costumes are the best.

*EDIT* Actually, Settle It did have a couple costumes, didn't it? Those were the best parts. We need mascot costumes, though. Those are better.
Nintendo has some of the best commercials out of all time. We need more of those.

Case in point:

Yeah sure, stuff like "YOU'RE A KID YOU'RE A SQUID" is sorta catchy, but nothing compared to what they did during their earlier years.

How about all those phrases that NIntendo invented? Who else remembers "NOW YOU'RE PLAYING WITH POWER"?
What about "PLAY IT LOUD" or "GET N OR GET OUT"?

As of now i literally don't remember the catchphrase for the Wii U (was it "What are U doing next" or somthing?)

About the costumes,i agree. Nothing beats real-life people wearing costumes of Cartoony Mascot characters. I mean i love the Punch Out commercial that i just showed, but then there's stuff like this:

While i like some of the CGI commercials like the one of DKCR Tropical Freeze, i don't think those commercials can capture the sillyness (in a good way) and charm the costume commercials have.

Last edited by a moderator:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...

I think I was like, 12
I can't quite remember when I first "discovered" the internet.

But I do still remember this sound that used to play whenever we tried to connect to it....

Last edited:

Soul.

4 years of Wii U production is normal system length. The console struggled in general with only 12.60 million units sold. GamePad alone is expensive, almost no third-party support etc. Sure, Splatoon is a success. Mario Maker is also good. Smash is Smash even though it's almost at 8 million units on 3DS (Wii U version only at 4.61m). Only a few titles used the controller properly and even then it was only because of the gyroscope.

I would hope the NX console sells better lol. On the other hand, NX handheld when. There was a thread on NeoGAF saying it would be out in early 2017 with the console releasing in November 2016.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

You have DK, fresh off the MASSIVE success of the Country trilogy and even getting the recent cartoon. The namesake for the game that really put Nintendo on the map.
And DK64, which was a huge success at the time.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
This remains my favourite gaming commercial.

I think I was like, 12
My parents tell me the first time I used a computer was when I was three to play games that my dad/brothers had bought. My first memory of the internet is typing things into the address bar hoping it'd get me to some site, any site, lol. This was before I knew how to spell much of anything though, and before I knew you needed to have www. at the beginning (which is how it used to work), so obviously that never got me anywhere. I'd say I was probably four or five.

I can't quite remember when I first "discovered" the internet.

But I do still remember this sound that used to play whenever we tried to connect to it....

Funny story, last week I was in a conversation that turned to the old dial-up tone for the internet and most of the people I was with (who were a few years younger than me) had no idea what I was talking about, resulting in me feeling old as dirt, heh. Heheh. ;_;

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
Nintendo has some of the best commercials out of all time. We need more of those.

Case in point:

Yeah sure, stuff like "YOU'RE A KID YOU'RE A SQUID" is sorta catchy, but nothing compared to what they did during their earlier years.

How about all those phrases that NIntendo invented? Who else remembers "NOW YOU'RE PLAYING WITH POWER"?
What about "PLAY IT LOUD" or "GET N OR GET OUT"?

As of now i literally don't remember the catchphrase for the Wii U (was it "What are U doing next" or somthing?)

About the costumes,i agree. Nothing beats real-life people wearing costumes of Cartoony Mascot characters. I mean i love the Punch Out commercial that i just showed, but then there's stuff like this:

While i like some of the CGI commercials like the one of DKCR Tropical Freeze, i don't think those commercials can capture the sillyness (in a good way) and charm the costume commercials have.
THAT PUNCH-OUT TRAILER IS SO GOOD AND I'VE NEVER SEEN IT.

And DK64, which was a huge success at the time.
I honestly forgot when DK64 came out so I kinda omitted it from the listing. Good point, only furthering how he absolutely made sense for the 4.

D

Deleted member

I want to show you these commercials of Mario & Sonic at the olympics.

These are so cheesy, yet so appealing to me:

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
This remains my favourite gaming commercial.

My parents tell me the first time I used a computer was when I was three to play games that my dad/brothers had bought. My first memory of the internet is typing things into the address bar hoping it'd get me to some site, any site, lol. This was before I knew how to spell much of anything though, and before I knew you needed to have www. at the beginning (which is how it used to work), so obviously that never got me anywhere. I'd say I was probably four or five.

Funny story, last week I was in a conversation that turned to the old dial-up tone for the internet and most of the people I was with (who were a few years younger than me) had no idea what I was talking about, resulting in me feeling old as dirt, heh. Heheh. ;_;
Oh man, I want Nintendo to slip that many different franchises worth of costumed people into a commercial.

Smash makes it easy enough to have an excuse, they just need to go for it.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Now I'm feeling bad that I bought an Xbox One yesterday with this news.

But I'm still supporting my Wii U until the end (I still love that console so much).

Burruni

Smash Hero
Now I'm feeling bad that I bought an Xbox One yesterday with this news.

But I'm still supporting my Wii U until the end (I still love that console so much).
I'm sorry if this comes a bit too harshly but: Why?

I'm curious to what pushed you over to buy an XBone when so far my knowledge is that it is "that console for Halo 5 and Rare Replay"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom