• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Just installed my new 1080 TV that I bought today, and for its platform: my old as dirt TV box (over 20 years old, huge, one of the stereo speakers are dead/low, & the crappy remote missing)! :D

Mah Wii U looks PERTTY now!

Last edited:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
>Me the last few nights.

And holy shoot, Smash 5 rosters already? Who knows what could happen inbetween all these years... Like, woah. 0_0
To be fair, we were making Smash 5 rosters even right after Smash 4 was released (and before DLC was introduced).

Here's what i think the SSB5 Roster will look like
Veterans
:4mario::4luigi::4peach::4bowser::4yoshi::4wario2::4dk::4diddy::4link::4zelda::4sheik::4samus::4zss::4kirby::4dedede::4fox::4pikachu::4charizard::4greninja::4ness::4falcon::popo::4marth::4myfriends::4robinm::4pit::4palutena::4olimar::4villager::4wiifit::4littlemac::4shulk::4pacman::4megaman::4sonic::4mii:

Newcomers

Captain Toad
Dixie Kong
Impa
Sylux
Bandana Dee
A Gen 8 Pokemon
A Future Main Fire Emblem Protagnist
Virdi
Isabelle
Elma
Inkling
Issac
Wonder Red
Takamaru
Rayman

Unlockable Veterans
:4metaknight::4falco::4lucas::4darkpit::pichumelee::4feroy::4lucario::4ryu::4rob::4cloud::4ganondorf::4mewtwo::rosalina::4corrinf::4gaw::4bowserjr::4duckhunt::4jigglypuff::4tlink::wolf::4bayonetta:

Unlockable Newcomers
Waluigi
Linkle
Black Shadow
Daisy
King K. Rool
Ridley
Chrous Men
>Viridi
>Ridley
>Wonder Red

Every other newcomer is somewhere between cool (inkling, Captain Toad) to "ugh"

Based on the fact your post seems ti imply this is a prediction, though . . .it's definitely going to be highly inaccurate. I can assure you of that.
And holy shoot, Smash 5 rosters already? Who knows what could happen inbetween all these years... Like, woah. 0_0
The lust for smash bros is insatiable.

Last edited:

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
>Me the last few nights.

Hey, the earlier we make 'em, the more data we'll have to analyze in the future and the funnier the initial guesses will look.

As long as we don't start ripping each other's opinions apart over them (which usually happens unfortunately. . .), I don't see why not. It's just gonna be all the more fun to look back on when 5 does finally happen.

Burruni

Smash Hero
So...
Whenever I go to Twitch, I get a redirect that basically says "this stream is in another castle." even whe trying to go to the front page.
Is that just me or is something really off?

So...
Whenever I go to Twitch, I get a redirect that basically says "this stream is in another castle." even whe trying to go to the front page.
Is that just me or is something really off?
I can see stuff just fine. Might be you.

Does anyone know if there is a way to make youtube playlists have over 200 songs active? My VGM playlist is a lot more stale when about 100 songs aren't put into the shuffle

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
Uh... doesn't it seem way early to speculate for Smash 5? I mean, we just got done with Smash 4 speculation a couple of months ago and that was probably the longest speculation period of any Smash Bros game. So, having some sort of a break would be nice :p.

Not to even mention, if the Smash NX rumor combined with some other speculation is to be believed, Smash 4 might not even be done yet. So as much as speculation can be fun, sometimes we need to hold our high horses:
upload_2016-3-21_18-45-55.png

and get a little rest.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Smash 5? Only when Nintendo captures Sakurai's cat and asks for a new game as ransom.

Last edited:

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Uh... doesn't it seem way early to speculate for Smash 5? I mean, we just got done with Smash 4 speculation a couple of months ago and that was probably the longest speculation period of any Smash Bros game. So, having some sort of a break would be nice :p.

Not to even mention, if the Smash NX rumor combined with some other speculation is to be believed, Smash 4 might not even be done yet. So as much as speculation can be fun, sometimes we need to hold our high horses:
View attachment 101015
and get a little rest.
For me personally, I felt the 4 speculation period was rather suppressed by Gematsu, so I find myself leaping for an opportunity to participate in a speculation period where we don't have half the people there yelling at the other half of the people there that we know all the characters already.

The DLC period wasn't quite the same, as we were all under the understanding that there would be less characters and the Royu coding slip up killed another couple month stretch of speculation to boot.

I'm just excited for the idea of finally being able to make blind guesses about things without too much judgement being passed or too much of a consensus on something else, so of course I kinda want to start already.

D

Deleted member

Finally downloading Revalations after beating birthright yesterday.(Only "took me so long" because I got depressed for a week.)

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Word of God or ingame statements are the only kind of "undeniable proof"
You're forcing your headcanon way too much
No they aren't.

It's not headcanon when it's as blatant as it is.

Once again, I will bring up the Fox/Falco example. Everyone could tell what their moves were based off of (martial arts and Arwing functions), before Sakurai or any in-game statement had been given, because their animations spoke for themselves. The martial arts are also something Fox and Falco were never depicted doing outside of Smash at that point.

Rosalina is the exact same case. I wouldn't be saying this if it was just one or two moves, but literally EVERY ONE of her normals except for D-air, is exactly like some kind of dolphin trick, and the cosmic trails and stars coming from her body parts move just like water particles from a dolphin. Other animations outside of the normals, like her Up Taunt and movement animations, also strikingly resemble the movement of a trained dolphin. And that is HARDLY a coincidence. Seriously, to call that a coincidence is just being contrarian for the sake of being contrarian. This is intentional attention to detail.

Creators don't speak on every little detail because that removes the fun of discovery from their game. Sakurai especially is known for drawing inspiration from obscure places for Smash characters, this is no different. He's also known for having an amazing attention to detail, which is shown through how Rosalina is so accurately animated with similarities to a dolphin. If you need Word of God or an in-game statement to see everything in a game, you are being short-sighted.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I did it, I finally ****ing did it
Conquest Chapter 17 spoilers
Shura finally got his revenge on Kotaro
Damn, he's a lot harder in Hard Mode with that avoid and speed and ****ing Duelist's Blow
It took a lot of turns, staves, and putting Odin right next to him for Heartseeker to finally kill him with Shura
And even better, the final blow was a crit so it was just perfect
No one cares about your stupid father Saizo, a whole nation is more important

Shura vs. Kotaro:
  • Shura: Heh... So you're the daimyo of Mokushu, eh? We finally meet.
  • Kotaro: Who are you? I don't know any generic pirates.
  • Shura: I am Shura, of Kohga. And you will pay for destroying my people!
  • Kotaro: Aw, so you came here to get revenge? That's precious. I've killed dozens of men like you. Lowly drifters without a home. Don't even bother. Like your pathetic kingdom, you don't stand a chance.
  • Shura: Killing you will be no bother at all. In fact, I'm looking forward to it. And one day I will rebuild Kohga and undo the damage you caused!
  • Kotaro: HA! That's rich. I killed all your people. Burned your village to the ground. All of your ninja combined weren't enough to stop me. Yet you think you alone can kill me?! HAHAHAHA!
  • Shura: We'll see how funny it is when you're begging for mercy. You took everything from me. Before I rebuild, allow me to return the favor.
  • Kotaro: Ah, a lovely dream. Let that dream comfort you in your last moments. The last remnant of Kohga ends here!
  • Shura: For my friends and family...for my honor and vengeance...FOR KOHGA!

D

Deleted member

No they aren't.

It's not headcanon when it's as blatant as it is.

Once again, I will bring up the Fox/Falco example. Everyone could tell what their moves were based off of (martial arts and Arwing functions), before Sakurai or any in-game statement had been given, because their animations spoke for themselves. The martial arts are also something Fox and Falco were never depicted doing outside of Smash at that point.

Rosalina is the exact same case. I wouldn't be saying this if it was just one or two moves, but literally EVERY ONE of her normals except for D-air, is exactly like some kind of dolphin trick, and the cosmic trails and stars coming from her body parts move just like water particles from a dolphin. Other animations outside of the normals, like her Up Taunt and movement animations, also strikingly resemble the movement of a trained dolphin. And that is HARDLY a coincidence. Seriously, to call that a coincidence is just being contrarian for the sake of being contrarian. This is intentional attention to detail.

Creators don't speak on every little detail because that removes the fun of discovery from their game. Sakurai especially is known for drawing inspiration from obscure places for Smash characters, this is no different. He's also known for having an amazing attention to detail, which is shown through how Rosalina is so accurately animated with similarities to a dolphin. If you need Word of God or an in-game statement to see everything in a game, you are being short-sighted.
Fox and Falco are related to Airwings
Rosalina has no relation whatsoever with dolphins
Seriously, please stop with this, it's getting obnoxious

D

Deleted member

So i while i was looking for an instumental version of Hallelujah, i found this masterpiece in the comment section:

I heard there was a tennis game, Boo laced his shoes and Bowser came,

But you don’t really care for tennis, do you?

It goes like this, a game set match,

And on his cap he wore a patch,

Inverted L, his name was Waluigi

Waluigi, Waluigi, Waluigi, Waluigi

I saw him karting that one time,

He leered at others on the line,

But they could not see him win 50cc

And sure enough, to their dismay,

He soon took Bowser and DK,

The first place, the champion, Waluigi

I saw him at a football game,

My ears pricked up, I heard that name,

And sure enough, he won all of the friendlies

But then he cried that awful taunt,

That filthy taunt he loved to flaunt,

He told them all to suck his Waluweewee

I once spoke to Miyamoto,

I said to him “Like Wario

Will Waluigi ever make main series?”

He sadly said, “he can’t exist,

Or he would be writ on my list.”

So how can I know of this Waluigi?

Well, is he real? I do not know,

Some say yes and some say no,

What do I have to do to make him see me?

I see him there, but then he’s gone,

Please, Nintendo, make him canon,

That man I love, that man named Waluigi!

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Fox and Falco are related to Airwings
Rosalina has no relation whatsoever with dolphins
Seriously, please stop with this, it's getting obnoxious
>Leaves out the martial arts part

Blatant damage control if I've ever seen it.

Also Rosalina can be related to dolphins in that they are both associated strongly with elegance and grace.

If you want to continue to be short-sighted and require a creator to feed you every little detail, then fine, but don't try to discourage others from being able to notice this kind of stuff and trying to spread it around.

D

Deleted member

>Leaves out the martial arts part

Blatant damage control if I've ever seen it.

Also Rosalina can be related to dolphins in that they are both associated strongly with elegance and grace.

If you want to continue to be short-sighted and require a creator to feed you every little detail, then fine, but don't try to discourage others from being able to notice this kind of stuff and trying to spread it around.
I have never seen anyone say that Fox and Falco us martial arts so I didn't feel the need to reply to that point(because it's as bull as your theory)
Jumps in logic are fun, aren't they?
This just in: Corrin's moves are based off monkeys because they're acrobatic
I don't require them to feed me on every single detail
I need them to confirm something canon
The game doesn't make mention of it either
So all you have is a headcanon
SO. STOP. PUSHING. IT. AS. CANON.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
There is nothing wrong with a theory. But that doesn't make it canon and people have a right to disagree with it. I have many theories that people disagree with. There's nothing wrong with that. Understanding the theory is all I ask, not for people to agree. And some theories can be debunked. That's no big deal anyway. It's all just for fun and speculation, after all.

So can we please calm down and respect people's opinions? It's not much to ask. :c

Burruni

Smash Hero
I still feel like the biggest question in Smash moveset decisions stands...

What caused THIS to be a "good idea" in the design stage?

Edit: to clarify, I don't mean that the move is inherently bad or anything; it's just.... not something I feel anyone could draw connections to Luigi.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

Edit: to clarify, I don't mean that the move is inherently bad or anything; it's just.... not something I feel anyone could draw connections to Luigi.
Luigi would run away at high speeds like a rocket?

Notably, Kart Fighters had a very similar move, but it was a flying kick he had instead. I doubt it was inspired by that though, but you never know what Sakurai looked into. Being how much he pays attention to the Pokemon anime in general with some stuff, non-canon stuff giving him inspiration is realistic.

I do remember that Super Mario Bros. 2 has a rocket that leads you to one level. Maybe it was inspired by that? Peach did get much of her moveset from that game(bar his Parasol, which I don't remember what game let her float using it before Smash. Although then again, it probably was just being used like the Kirby item to a degree. As for her doing a thrust with it into the sky, probably was just a thoughtful way of making it useful and not inspired by anything possibly).

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1199351

@Kirby Dragons you seem like the one who would be most interested in this, even if it is sad news.

Feels like so many companies are shutting down these days. Really is a shame.
If Treasure is next to finally close itself, I swear that I would be highly upset. I had so much memories with their games (Dynamite Headdy and Gunstar Heroes being my favorite Genesis games from them) and that could easily mean that Sin & Punishment will be in video game purgatory for a while.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I have never seen anyone say that Fox and Falco us martial arts so I didn't feel the need to reply to that point(because it's as bull as your theory)

Jumps in logic are fun, aren't they?
This just in: Corrin's moves are based off monkeys because they're acrobatic

I don't require them to feed me on every single detail
I need them to confirm something canon
The game doesn't make mention of it either
So all you have is a headcanon
SO. STOP. PUSHING. IT. AS. CANON.
So just because you didn't see it or can't see it, nobody ever has said it (not even Sakurai)?

Yeah that's all I needed to hear. You're short-sighted and tunnel visioned.

Also:

>implying Smash has a canon

Hell, this CAN'T be a matter of canon, as it's not an event. It's simply her animation style and inspiration. Which is, very clearly, inspired by dolphins.

There is nothing wrong with a theory. But that doesn't make it canon and people have a right to disagree with it. I have many theories that people disagree with. There's nothing wrong with that. Understanding the theory is all I ask, not for people to agree. And some theories can be debunked. That's no big deal anyway. It's all just for fun and speculation, after all.

So can we please calm down and respect people's opinions? It's not much to ask. :c
Except, once again, I'm not stating a theory.

The similarities are way too uncanny and across the board to just be an accident.

Like c'mon. You can't tell me this wasn't intentional and expect me to take you seriously. That isn't even all of the animations. Same thing with the Fox/Falco doing martial arts (along with other characters) scenario. They are using identifiable martial arts styles in their movesets (just like how Rosalina is using identifiable dolphin tricks) that you can compare and see the identical similarities between.

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
Luigi would run away at high speeds like a rocket?

Notably, Kart Fighters had a very similar move, but it was a flying kick he had instead. I doubt it was inspired by that though, but you never know what Sakurai looked into. Being how much he pays attention to the Pokemon anime in general with some stuff, non-canon stuff giving him inspiration is realistic.

I do remember that Super Mario Bros. 2 has a rocket that leads you to one level. Maybe it was inspired by that? Peach did get much of her moveset from that game(bar his Parasol, which I don't remember what game let her float using it before Smash. Although then again, it probably was just being used like the Kirby item to a degree. As for her doing a thrust with it into the sky, probably was just a thoughtful way of making it useful and not inspired by anything possibly).
Kart Fighter is still one of the most bizzare tings I've never seen because of how much work went into such a bootleg game back in the 90s. It's... just such an oddity.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I heard stories of those aggressive bicyclists that almost try and get hit by cars but I really didn't see that until today

When A bicyclists stared right at me, saw me coming, but tried to get in front of me anyway at full speed

If Treasure is next to finally close itself, I swear that I would be highly upset. I had so much memories with their games (Dynamite Headdy and Gunstar Heroes being my favorite Genesis games from them) and that could easily mean that Sin & Punishment will be in video game purgatory for a while.
About that. . .
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1199013

*insert rant about ZSS existing having a whip and being given jet heelshere*

Luigi is less "tall, green scaredy cat mario" more "weird mario," in smash. Final smash, taunts, his ungodly smash 4 pose (Brawl's was so perfect and then we get derp mode ;_;) etc

Why Sakurai chose to make him weird is a mystery to me. (I feel like he commented on it once though)

No one cares that you have a belief. What people do care about is you stating it as fact that is outright confirmed instead of speculation.

Last edited:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
ChikoLad ChikoLad @Zoroarking
I really don't think Rosalina's comparison with dolphins is really an issue worth arguing over...it is just a theory A GAME THEORY!!! so let's just keep it at that....it hasn't been confirmed nor denied, so let's not let such a petty disagreement get overblown here...

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
So Treasure is going to die soon?

I guess this calls for an avatar change and an hour worth of replaying Gunstar Heroes tonight. There will be smiles and tears just like there will be sad music and ice cream. I can't believe that one of my favorite childhood third party developers is finally going to expire.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
No one cares that you have a belief. What people do care about is you stating it as fact that is outright confirmed instead of speculation.
I didn't say it was confirmed by the creator. I said it seems quite clear it was the creator's intention and there is no reason to believe otherwise given how obvious and consistent the similarities are.

Again, if it was one or two similarities, I wouldn't think anything of it, but literally HALF of her moves and animations? It's an objective fact that many of Rosalina's moves and animations BLATANTLY resemble dolphin tricks. That much you can't get around (just like you can't get around that Fox and Falco actually do use identifiable martial arts in Smash, regardless of whether or not Sakurai confirmed it - though I believe he did mention it somewhere). We may not have a "Word of God" confirming it, but can you seriously say, with a straight face, that "it was an accident" is the logical conclusion here?

The line of logic you guys are displaying here is basically exactly this:

"We need Sakurai to confirm that Battlefield is made of grass and stone. It may LOOK exactly like grass and stone, but no matter how much prove it, that doesn't mean it is until Sakurai confirms it!!!! He may not have intentionally meant for it to be stone and grass. His intention could have been that it's made out of apples and oranges for all we know."

ChikoLad ChikoLad @Zoroarking
I really don't think Rosalina's comparison with dolphins is really an issue worth arguing over...it is just a theory A GAME THEORY!!! so let's just keep it at that....it hasn't been confirmed nor denied, so let's not let such a petty disagreement get overblown here...
I'm arguing over it because of the principle of the matter.

It's common for people in this thread to need confirmation by a creator or whatever on every single detail, and can't seem to interpret or notice things for themselves.

I find that to be a hugely regressive and frankly, dumb mentality. It makes discussion very stagnant.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Kart Fighter is still one of the most bizzare tings I've never seen because of how much work went into such a bootleg game back in the 90s. It's... just such an oddity.
Yeah. Regardless, if it was inspiration? Cool. If not, meh. Theories are fun, as long as people aren't obnoxious about them. As someone who used to be obnoxious about her theories, I can tell you it becomes a huge problem and was dumb to do in the first place. I just wish everyone could learn this simple thing. :urg:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
My.... My head...

:081:: 13.2 lbs.
:082:: 132 lbs.
:050:: 1.8 lbs.
:051:: 73.4 lbs.
Despite both of them being "fusions" of 3 of them, it's not that kind of logic. There's likely more to it than just having 3 of each. Magneton likely has more machinery inside it(btw, is this the original Red/Blue weights or a different game?). Dugtrio probably is combined with far more dirt and stone than Diglett is. I do find it a bit weird it's not close to "3 times the weight", though.

Probably something we're missing. At least neither of the evolutions weigh less. XD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom