• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Hey now, I am Substitution of the NintenZone Boards, and it is of my professional conclusion that it is not Roy that is useless, nor Marth, Nor Lucina, but rather Lyn.

Seriously, just one move and that's it? Way to design a character Sakurai.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
I like how if you don't count the clones like everybody says you need to there's only four FE characters.
But people need to whine about FE having too much because of Roycina when we've only reached the tip of the iceberg when it comes to unique playstyles FE has to offer.
But nooooo we're stuffed with free desserts like Roycina so we can't have our Pegasus main course.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
To be fair, Corrin in Smash and Corrin in FE are two different things. The only useful point for his FE appearance is seeing how well he was represented with his moves. Otherwise, his usefulness in each game are unique. There's also the factor of why he was added to Smash, and that was for unique abilities/moves that others couldn't pull off. Nobody should need to play Fates to judge how he is in Smash bar "proper representation" only. The "too much FE DLC" is not a bad point, as I agree with that too. Even Push does. Sakurai even saw it as a small issue(his team convinced him otherwise). With limited DLC, any series getting more than one feels like a copout. That said, I like Corrin because he's a literal playable dragon, and that's in-universe too. Charizard is only a Dragon officially in his Mega form, and Bowser is technically a Turtle with dragon-like moves.

To be fair, it most of the time has professionally done information. But it is usually edited by major members with decent credit to their name and not random people. Like I said, I think the wiki has issues, as it's far from perfect, but the screw-ups are not that common.

That said, it's still a fact that many of the main wiki editors are backroom members and have more credit to their name. That's why I find it a bit more trustworthy than someone who's not a backroom member saying "lol this guy is bad". Again, I do not mean offense to Chandelure here, but he did give me no explanation and just a blind hate-based statement. How else can I react when I have nothing to work with but someone who has zero credit to their name? This is why many don't take my competitive knowledge seriously. I have very few, true, but it's not like I have credit to my name at all.
However, Smash doesn't do everything for a character's possibly qualities. A reason I like Corrin is because of something outside of Smash: Personality. Likewise, I LOVE Meta Knight but don't like him in Smash
Hey now, I am Substitution of the NintenZone Boards, and it is of my professional conclusion that it is not Roy that is useless, nor Marth, Nor Lucina, but rather Lyn.

Seriously, just one move and that's it? Way to design a character Sakurai.
She sounds like an old hag and doesn't even do her Crit animation right smh

And Mega Man X9 plz. X8 was pretty good from what I saw, it only sold poorly because people thought it'd be like X7

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Never really understood why they had to cancel Legends 3 back in 2011. Seemed like a massive bummer to Legends fans such as myself.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
However, Smash doesn't do everything for a character's possibly qualities. A reason I like Corrin is because of something outside of Smash: Personality. Likewise, I LOVE Meta Knight but don't like him in Smash
Yeah, I don't care about characters' personalities outside of Smash itself. I judge them solely on their Smash appearance, and anything else according to the current game.

Never really understood why they had to cancel Legends 3 back in 2011. Seemed like a massive bummer to Legends fans such as myself.
They said that we didn't give enough feedback. They never released the demo so we could play it and give feedback. Simply put, Capcom most likely just wanted to piss off fans and had no intention of properly releasing it at that point. Likely was some behind the scenes issues.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
If I remember the story correctly, this was because Inafune left. And since they didn't have the main guy behind it... What else could they do?

Either that or complications within Capcom itself. Which is entirely possible.

Inafune took the coding or funding, can't remember which one
I can't seem to find anything on either of those claims.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Yeah, I don't care about characters' personalities outside of Smash itself. I judge them solely on their Smash appearance, and anything else according to the current game.

They said that we didn't give enough feedback. They never released the demo so we could play it and give feedback. Simply put, Capcom most likely just wanted to piss off fans and had no intention of properly releasing it at that point. Likely was some behind the scenes issues.
If you're a fan of the franchise the character's from, you'd not say that though. Especially with how Lucina fans disliked her more cocky attitude in Smash
If I remember the story correctly, this was because Inafune left. And since they didn't have the main guy behind it... What else could they do?

Either that or complications withins Capcom itself. Which is entirely possible.

I can't seem to find anything on either of those claims.
I think I was confused with Phil Fish. My bad

D

Deleted member

and doesn't even do her Crit animation right smh
I'm still sad the Swordmaster's afterimages in their crit animations is gone, that would be so cool in 3D
But I guess it's a fair price to pay for DUAL WIELDING KATANAS

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
People would just rather have Capcom make a new Mega Man game than buy Inafune's game.

That's hilarious on so many levels. The roles were reversed a few years ago...

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
...So either I take this as an honest mistake or some contrived jab against Inafune.
And if it's the latter I have given up hope.

People would just rather have Capcom make a new Mega Man game than buy Inafune's game.

That's hilarious on so many levels. The roles were reversed a few years ago...
Times have certainly changed.
I also remember a time were Konami could be brought up in a positive light.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Just because I don't buy some theories doesn't mean I'm short sighted.
If I could choose between this theory, the dolphin-one or the Rosalina is a gearnut one I think this one is very logical and might hint at Rosalina's playability (it sure as hell hinted at the fact Toad wasn't a playable character)
Galaxy stage reveal (not it being the location of the pic, they could've picked Mush Kingdom U) is more iffy since everything that made for a good Galaxy stage is heavily tied to Rosalina or the Loomers.

Yes, Rosalina is not my favorite character (That'd be Bowser Jr in his best portrayals) but that doesn't mean I'm salty about her inclusion, especially not with her playstyle being right up my ally and I would totally buy a game where her younger self is the playable character.

The post on the previous page explains my different stages my of Rosalina-love-hate relationship.

My post was intended as a light hearted jabs at your habit of making theories (as in non-confirmed by Nintendo) and I sincerely apologise if the previous post, this post or one of my other posts offends you.
I don't make theories, I state facts.

I'm not even gonna go over the ones you mentioned because most of these facts are commonly accepted in the Mario fandom anyway. You just like making Rosalina out as having less character aspects than she has because you don't like how she has more than characters like Bowser Jr, who aren't as popular because of their constant portrayal issues.

And before you try to deny this, you constantly make jabs at the character in her very own social and you pretty much don't like anything that makes the character seem a cut above another in any aspect.

Who would ever do such a thing?

Guess Lady Luck wasn't on your side

Because she isn't Lute who can 3HKO Draco Zombies with Bolting

"Based on solid logic"
Lol
It's solid until you can prove it otherwise.

Simply being in denial isn't proof of anything.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
If you're a fan of the franchise the character's from, you'd not say that though. Especially with how Lucina fans disliked her more cocky attitude in Smash
Well, I have never played a FE game outside of the Gamecube one. I'm aware of the personality changes, and understand why some dislike it, of course.

While I do like that the personalities has some relation to one of the one's in any of their official games as well, I simply care if they're fun to play more than being accurate alone. I mean, I dislike Sonic's moveset because it really feels awkward compared to Sonic Battle, one of my favorite Sonic fighting games. But even without that, there's his Side B and Down B being too similar and how OP Super Sonic is. So it's not just his own games, it's how he is in Smash that bothers me. To note, most characters in Smash I have played their games, but there are exceptions.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Well they still outta consider releasing the game in the future. The fact that Legends showed up on the PSN this past September shows that theirs still some hope for Legends 3 even if it's faint hope.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
...So either I take this as an honest mistake or some contrived jab against Inafune.
I knew Inafune left the dev team despite MML3 being his dream game. I don't like the guy at all, but it was similar to Phil Fish 'taking the money and running away' to me so I I got them mixed up
Well, I have never played a FE game outside of the Gamecube one. I'm aware of the personality changes, and understand why some dislike it, of course.

While I do like that the personalities has some relation to one of the one's in any of their official games as well, I simply care if they're fun to play more than being accurate alone. I mean, I dislike Sonic's moveset because it really feels awkward compared to Sonic Battle, one of my favorite Sonic fighting games. But even without that, there's his Side B and Down B being too similar and how OP Super Sonic is. So it's not just his own games, it's how he is in Smash that bothers me. To note, most characters in Smash I have played their games, but there are exceptions.
And thus, PM Sonic master race. What also bugs the **** about Meta Knight is Dimension Cape. Meta Knight, the honourable swordsman who NEVER fights you without giving you a way to defend yourself, getting a cowardly sneak attack

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904

Times have certainly changed.
I also remember a time were Konami could be brought up in a positive light.
There was also a time when Sonic was considered by the internet at large as being in a bad period rather than all the games being always terrible all the time and Ocarina of Time was an untouchable classic.

I'm glad to be past that brief period when Zelda 1 was the best one in teh series and everything else afterwards was a mistake.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
And thus, PM Sonic master race. What also bugs the **** about Meta Knight is Dimension Cape. Meta Knight, the honourable swordsman who NEVER fights you without giving you a way to defend yourself, getting a cowardly sneak attack
Yeah. That is true. Probably lack of move choices? Then again, he's not an idiot either. In many boss battles, he has other enemies attack you first. He's clearly pragmatic in canon, but is more honorable than some. It's more the "dark honor" of sorts. Something like a Gang Member would have. Or a villain, if you will.

Also...

Tsundere Meta Knight: It's not like I want to fight you or anything. >.>

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Yeah. That is true. Probably lack of move choices? Then again, he's not an idiot either. In many boss battles, he has other enemies attack you first. He's clearly pragmatic in canon, but is more honorable than some. It's more the "dark honor" of sorts. Something like a Gang Member would have. Or a villain, if you will.

Also...

Tsundere Meta Knight: It's not like I want to fight you or anything. >.>
Actually, the Meta Knights leave you a second to prepare yourself as they need to spawn in, and in Adventure, Meta Knight occasionally tossed invinciblity candy

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
There was also a time when Sonic was considered by the internet at large as being in a bad period rather than all the games being always terrible all the time and Ocarina of Time was an untouchable classic.

I'm glad to be past that brief period when Zelda 1 was the best one in teh series and everything else afterwards was a mistake.
What do you mean? OoT is still very much a sacred cow.
Granted MM has also been slowly taking that golden calf image as well, but OoT is still remarked as "da best thing evar".

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
From a plot perspective, the Villanious Saturday Morning Trio is much worse than the Suspenseful Azura by a huge margin. Garon being a the biggest offended as this generic, obviously evil corrupt king with little to no motivations behind his actions. Even the Dark Demon King from Sacred Stones was a better villain than him.
I'd definitely second that, but with Formortiis I've give him a lot more credit in that he served as a way to develop Lyon as he emphasized his flaws and made him more of a tragic character, so the story used his generic personality to better serve the plot. I can't say the same for the Cartoon trio, they exist to kick puppies and... that's about it, and I'd actually argue that they hurt the plot more then they help. What makes it worse is that they really dropped the ball with Garon because what we do learn about him from the details of the backstory implies that he could've been a more interesting villain for his connection to the Nohr children if nothing else.

And watch it be better than Mighty No. 9. Because at this I've given up on that game.
Speaking of which, have there been any updates on that game since it got delayed another time? It just kind of disappeared to me after that news hit.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
There was also a time when Sonic was considered by the internet at large as being in a bad period rather than all the games being always terrible all the time and Ocarina of Time was an untouchable
Nowadays it's just Egoraptor's fans hating OoT because it's the cool thing to do after his video. Not that their a majority of course but they're a very annoying vocal minority. That and MM fanboys of course.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Actually, the Meta Knights leave you a second to prepare yourself as they need to spawn in, and in Adventure, Meta Knight occasionally tossed invinciblity candy
He's still not doing purely 1 on 1 and softening you up. It's still pragmatic. He's just not a jerk about it like normal villains are. Hence, he's an anti-villain.

O.O And here I thought worshipping OoT was bad enough...Zelda 1 is just a mess...
To be honest, Zelda 1 felt like a really good game. I felt its only real downside was the lack of Slash and just general balance of some monsters. For the first game made, it did a pretty good job. Zelda II is a much bigger issue balance-wise and needs work. Namely making it so more enemies can be easier to battle by giving you platforms to "cheese" them. Basically battle tactics being more notable in that game, which is unfortunate as it's a fairly unique game.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
What do you mean? OoT is still very much a sacred cow.
Granted MM has also been slowly taking that golden calf image as well, but OoT is still remarked as "da best thing evar".
Wind Waker seems to be overtaking OCarina these days. At least from what I've seen.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Nowadays it's just Egoraptor's fans hating OoT because it's the cool thing to do after his video. Not that their a majority of course but they're a very annoying vocal minority. That and MM fanboys of course.
OoT is still pretty overrated. It was my first Zelda, and even then, it's literally in the middle of all Zelda games I've played

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Wind Waker seems to be overtaking OCarina these days. At least from what I've seen.
Not really. Most people can appreciate the great story and lore OoT had even though it's lacking a bit in the gameplay side of things where as all the WW love is coming from people who realized WW wasn't a bad game as they thought it would be and kids who grew up with WW as their first LoZ game like how my generation grew up with OoT.

OoT is still pretty overrated. It was my first Zelda, and even then, it's literally in the middle of all Zelda games I've played
The game has it's flaws as I said before though it's still a top LoZ game. Top 3 I would argue. The only 2 games that can really compete for that title are TWW and ALTTP IMO.

Last edited:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
To me, it's not that Zelda 1 isn't a terrible game. Flawed? Sure. But aren't most first titles?

It's that as the years gone by we've just gotten games that could be considered better. Hell, I'd argue that Link to the Past is a better Zelda 1 game than Zelda 1. Some of which having to with LotP was released in a period where they were able to refine the gameplay.

I still love that too. Remember when Wind Waker was the scum of the earth?

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904

Oddly, Fates itself seems to establish that the Smashverse characters are different entities altogether than their FE counterparts. Whether or not that helps or just makes it worse, I don't know.

I do wonder what the relation between Einherjar Cards and Smash characters is, though. From what little I've seen/paid attention to, the Einherjar Cards seem to mostly parrot their past, while the Smashverse incarnations, while noticeably more carefree and battle driven than a normal person, seem to have more mundane personality traits instead of simply being driven to parrot their originals and engage in warfare. Smashversers start their relations by showering you with gifts rather than simply either going to war or instantly calling you their bestie, invite you to fight rather than forcing you, and are more than happy to work in the castle after you've kicked their butt. Einjerhar seem to live ONLY to fight while being a shadow of their originals.

I also wonder whether Corrin in Smash is Smashverse or simply took the other Smashversers up on their offer.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
OoT is probably my least favourite of the 3D Zeldas. The only one I haven't played yet is Skyward Sword.

I mean it's impressive for the time but it's been surpassed. At least the 3D remake fixes some of my issues with it though.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Oddly, Fates itself seems to establish that the Smashverse characters are different entities altogether than their FE counterparts. Whether or not that helps or just makes it worse, I don't know.

I do wonder what the relation between Einherjar Cards and Smash characters is, though. From what little I've seen/paid attention to, the Einherjar Cards seem to mostly parrot their past, while the Smashverse incarnations, while noticeably more carefree and battle driven than a normal person, seem to have more mundane personality traits instead of simply being driven to parrot their originals and engage in warfare. Smashversers start their relations by showering you with gifts rather than simply either going to war or instantly calling you their bestie, invite you to fight rather than forcing you, and are more than happy to work in the castle after you've kicked their butt. Einjerhar seem to live ONLY to fight while being a shadow of their originals.

I also wonder whether Corrin in Smash is Smashverse or simply took the other Smashversers up on their offer.
I imagine there's a 4th timeline where the two armies are just standing there baffled at Corrin's decision. It's like stopping a family argument by wearing a silly hat, overwhelming the desire for conflict with confusion.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
To me, it's not that Zelda 1 isn't a terrible game. Flawed? Sure. But aren't most first titles?

It's that as the years gone by we've just gotten games that could be considered better. Hell, I'd argue that Link to the Past is a better Zelda 1 game than Zelda 1. Some of which having to with LotP was released in a period where they were able to refine the gameplay.
ALttP isn't nearly as "you can do anything in the order you want to" as the first 2 Zelda games. So not really. Slash is the only thing ALttP did right that Zelda 1 didn't perfectly fine on its own. They're extremely different games.

As Zelda games got more story-based, they removed the freedom of doing temples/dungeons in the order you wanted to. Sometimes you can do one or two out of order(ALttP allows it to a degree, but only in the Dark World), but yeah. I understand why, as doing a really good story requires specific events, and letting you explore the entire world in some way makes it harder to give in-story explanations for why you're going there. I'm not entirely bothered by it, but I do dislike when Zelda is way too story driven to the point you can barely explore at all(Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks had barely any overworld).

D

Deleted member

I'd definitely second that, but with Formortiis I've give him a lot more credit in that he served as a way to develop Lyon as he emphasized his flaws and made him more of a tragic character, so the story used his generic personality to better serve the plot. I can't say the same for the Cartoon trio, they exist to kick puppies and... that's about it, and I'd actually argue that they hurt the plot more then they help. What makes it worse is that they really dropped the ball with Garon because what we do learn about him from the details of the backstory implies that he could've been a more interesting villain for his connection to the Nohr children if nothing else.

Speaking of which, have there been any updates on that game since it got delayed another time? It just kind of disappeared to me after that news hit.
How to fix Conquest's plot in 4 easy steps
Obvious spoilers
1-Remove Slime Garon but keep Garon about the same but tone down the evil a little bit, him becoming the way he is being an actual result of the whole mess with his concubines

2-Remove Chapter 15. Just, scratch that thing and everything that came with it. Keep Gunter dead like in BR, he's as useful as Roy anyways

3-Make Iago a Gharnef expy and the true evil behind everything. He wants to use Garon to ressurect Anankos, it may be cliche but it won't hurt your head

4-Make Hans symphatetic. Iago is the one to take him out of prison and he has to follow his orders or he'll be thrown back there.(Chapter 13 almost hints that he's symphatetic towards Corrin)

There, fill in some holes here and there and add another filler chapter so it has the same amount as BR and bam, problem solved

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom